• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Z seriously the consensus right now? You're literally saying that they would in fact reference the name of a future game a year ahead of its announcement. If your minimum belief is a third version with a different name, please put quotation marks around Z.

One year ahead? More like 4 or 5 months ahead imo...
I'm talking about an interview conducted in October 2014.

Who said that? Most of us who believe Z is happening are expecting an announcement in October with the game being released around February.

Masuda used the name Z in October 2014 and called it too predictable. The minimum expectation should be a third version with a different name. Additionally, Complete Forme is by far not shaped like a Z. Normal Kyurem had a gray body and 50% Zygarde resembled a Z specifically so that people would believe in Gray and Z and then be surprised by what they really planned to do.

Last edited:
Well, if they were so against using "Z" I don't know why they'd officially use it as a naming for the anime.
I really feel like we're reliving mid-BW.
"Best Wishes 2" -> Black2/White2
"XY&Z" -> Z
Best Wishes 2 was totally tying in the game names. I'm expecting XY&Z to tie in with the game name too. But at the end of the day the name hardly matters, if they want to call it whatever instead of Z, sure, go ahead... still expecting it to be a "third version" kind of game. (hopefully more like Platinum than Crystal/Emerald, and hopefully fixing all the should be fixed)

People want to have a different adventure not a "z" version like platinum with minor improvements over their predescors.

Which is why Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum hardly sold any copies, were commercially and critically hated, and are infamously considered as the worst games of the entire franchise.

Oh wait...
You're right, but let's forget the fact that the games you mentioned sold waaay less than their predescors.

I'm not saying they sold better than their predecessors. I'm saying they sold. Millions. Worldwide. They did very well commercially. Which disproves your inference that people don't want them and prefer only new material. The third version are very much a 'different adventure' in their own right - just set in a familiar world.
And that's exactly my point. They sold less than their predecessors because they were set in a similiar world. Of course there are people out there who are willing to buy them, but this proves that the majority of people prefer not buying these slightly improvemed third versions.

You said they want a different adventure not an improved third version. Perhaps you meant, in general, people buy more of the first versions. I'd agree with that. But to imply that people do not want a third version at all is false.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic :p my point is only that third versions sell well. People like them. Some even refrain from buying the first two versions of each generations and actually wait for the third version because they know it will be improved. We are always going to get Generation 7 anyway, that is pretty much the only thing we can be sure of, so why not potentially Z (or something similar minus the name) in the meantime? Who is it hurting?

... still expecting it to be a "third version" kind of game. (hopefully more like Platinum than Crystal/Emerald, and hopefully fixing all the should be fixed)

A third version is completely predictable no matter what its name is, and Game Freak regularly says that they want to surprise us. The least you should expect is a prequel.

... still expecting it to be a "third version" kind of game. (hopefully more like Platinum than Crystal/Emerald, and hopefully fixing all the should be fixed)

A third version is completely predictable no matter what its name is, and Game Freak regularly says that they want to surprise us. The least you should expect is a prequel.

Yes, I did mention this possibility earlier but nobody seemed interested. If Z/XZYZ takes place before ORAS... Then Gen VI is going to be the only generation going backwards... A cool idea I already thought of a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

They "regularly say they want to surprise us" yet they sticked with the exact same formula for so long. BW2 was a single exception.
A heavily edited third version can still surprise the players who have played XY before, just like Platinum had more than enough changes/additions/surprises for people who already played Diamond/Pearl.

I personally expect some variation of "Z", but not necessarily Pokémon Z version.

Like others said, it's incredibly predictable and I truly doubt that they would let the anime spoil the title of the next game. I mean, I have nothing against it, it just feels like something else is going to happen.

This "retcon" is not really an issue though considering the GB/GBC universe is completely separated from the GBA/DS universe.
You can say in the GB/GSC universe the steel and dark types were a new discovery, while in the GBA/DS universe and the 3DS universe these types were always well known.
And if not for one problematic line claiming the fairy type to be a new discovery in XY (although some people try to justify it saying it meant "relatively recent" which totally didn't sound like that) we could say fairy type always existed in the 3DS universe but now is messy...

You keep referring to the multiverse concept as if it has always been around, but obviously it hasn't. When speaking of the Dark and Steel type retcon, it has to be viewed in context - and back then, it was a straight-up retcon. The games were not conveniently divided into discrete universes.

BW2 is part of the GBA/DS era so fairy type just doesn't exist.

But again, we didn't know that until ORAS. Retroactivity does not mean that the contradiction never existed at all. Until we were able to play the Delta Episode, XY was regarded as a part of the same continuity as the previous games, and my theory about Gen 6 being a continuity reboot bordered on total crackpot.

Well, if they were so against using "Z" I don't know why they'd officially use it as a naming for the anime.
"XY&Z" -> Z
Best Wishes 2 was totally tying in the game names. I'm expecting XY&Z to tie in with the game name too. But at the end of the day the name hardly matters, if they want to call it whatever instead of Z, sure, go ahead... still expecting it to be a "third version" kind of game. (hopefully more like Platinum than Crystal/Emerald, and hopefully fixing all the should be fixed)

The difference there is that Best Wishes 2 was announced along with/after B2W2. The anime was following the games' lead. In this case though, letting the anime take the lead sets up certain expectations for a certain game, which would be more advantageous to subvert.

Yes, I did mention this possibility earlier but nobody seemed interested. If Z/XZYZ takes place before ORAS... Then Gen VI is going to be the only generation going backwards... A cool idea I already thought of a few weeks ago.

If there is to be a third game, a prequel is an interesting idea that hasn't been done before. However, I want to ask - why put it before ORAS? I would think that it would make more sense to set it in between the two sets of Gen 6 games, so that it can bridge the gap between the two (there are even a number of bits and bobs that are well set-up for it; Dexio, the Anistar Sundial, Looker's amnesia, the Battle Frontier, the "other" Team that came to Anistar, etc.).

They "regularly say they want to surprise us" yet they sticked with the exact same formula for so long. BW2 was a single exception.
A heavily edited third version can still surprise the players who have played XY before, just like Platinum had more than enough changes/additions/surprises for people who already played Diamond/Pearl.
They're not going to regress to a third version unless they want less money. Please don't suggest that Masuda was being misleading.

This "retcon" is not really an issue though considering the GB/GBC universe is completely separated from the GBA/DS universe.
You can say in the GB/GSC universe the steel and dark types were a new discovery, while in the GBA/DS universe and the 3DS universe these types were always well known.
And if not for one problematic line claiming the fairy type to be a new discovery in XY (although some people try to justify it saying it meant "relatively recent" which totally didn't sound like that) we could say fairy type always existed in the 3DS universe but now is messy...
that's operating under the assumption that GameFreak intended for there to be a multiverse divided along Mega Evolution lines. there's no evidence to suggest that the GBA/DS universe is actually separate from the GameBoy universe (after all Matsumiya's timeline only references the remakes); it's possible, given how multiverses work, but it's not nearly as strong as the Mega and Non-Mega divide is. thus, unless GameFreak was planning all this time to reveal that the multiverse was Mega vs. Non-Mega (meaning that back in like 2003 they had already come up with Mega Evolution), it's an issue as per your logic.

(see: above)

A better arguement would be why Magnemite was not weak to fire type moves in RBY, but I find it much easier to ignore this as gameplay mechanic as long as there's no dialogues or plot details that tie into it, and clearly Magnemite not being weak to fire moves was never a plot point in RBY.
this is not a better argument. firstly, it operates under the assumption that the usually called "Classic" universe is an existing universe separate from the usually called "Advanced" universe, and was not actually overwritten by the remakes. secondly, there is passage of time between RBYFRLG and GSCHGSS, thus it is probable that the Steel classification was created sometime after RBY. and as it's been discussed in the past, types are more like biological classifications, so it can be sensical in games where there is passage of time. since prior to GameFreak's official canonization of a probable Mega-verse separate from the others there is no passage of time between BW2 and XY, it does not make sense.

Honestly it all comes down to the obvious fact that XY were originally planned to be in the same universe with all the GBA/DS games.
there goes your entire argument. if XY was created without the Mega-verse in mind, GameFreak clearly didn't care that in one country Gardevoir would take damage from a certain type and then suddenly in another country, and only in this country so far, it is suddenly completely immune.

That's why they had characters refer to fairy type as a new discovery and that's why Mega Evo is stated to have yet to happen outside of Kalos. Because XY was supposed to be the furthest in future point of the timeline and they didn't keep in mind the possibility of remaking older games. So if not for remakes, the original plan could work assuming every gen would be further into the future. But then ORAS became a thing...
except prior to XY and ORAS, they'd already moved back before. RBY moves forward to GSC, but then they move backwards to RSE and FRLG in which they don't talk about Steel or Dark as a new typing because fans already understand that it's no longer a "new" mechanic so it doesn't need to be put in bosses for a surprise challenge.

Of course, if they cared more not to contradict themselves
virtually all of these contradictions stem from having to remind players that these new mechanics exist, arguably this is not them not taking care to contradict themselves so much as a natural retcon that occurs because they don't need to tell players in Gen IV that Steel and Dark are new types, because they already know. i'm not sure why you're getting so twisted over retcons, when they're fairly common.

they could avoid having ORAS characters refer to fairy type in the dialogues (I wouldn't mind it still being there as game mechanic, just not referred to in dialogues)
and by and large they did. compared to Kalos, there are significantly fewer Pokemon in Hoenn that are Fairies (Jigglypuff line, Marill line, Mawile, Ralts line, and Mega Altaria), fewer Fairy Tale Girl trainers, and very few flavor dialogue references to Fairies.

and they could try keeping Mega Evo as a more secret-ish thing (kinda like how Origins dealt with it, which clearly tried and succeeded in doing Mega Evo without contradicting the "known to happen only in Kalos" bit since Fuji was all mysterious about it and Red didn't truly know what it was nor is he ever seen mentioning it to anyone)
but it is secret-ish? in all of Hoenn, only May, Brendan, Wally, Steven, Maxie, Archie, Lisia, and Steven can use Mega Evolution. if you include the post-game, you get Zinnia and Matt (or Courtney) and the Elite Four (which arguably can use it as fan service since people complained that the Elite Four couldn't use it in Kalos). though that is more than Kalos (Serena, Calem, Lysandre, Korrina, Diantha, and presumably Gurkinn as well), Gurkinn was also completely prepared to let Trevor, Shauna, and Tierno have it. even still, the distribution is still fairly restricted given that there's eight gym leaders who don't have it and countless other trainers who don't have it either. furthermore, it kept the "shrouded in mystery" base; it's not like suddenly Mega Evolution was very understood in Hoenn, few people knew about it and it seemed that fewer were looking into it.

(Fuji references Mega Evolution by name, so... TPCi and GameFreak must've failed again.)

overreading. as i've said countless times now, no business is going to say "we don't like to be predictable" or "we don't like to surprise our fans." there's only one instance of GameFreak surprising us and that's with BW2 which was Grey, until (likely) Nintendo told them to do it better. ultimately Z is simply a placeholder name. the next game (games?) could be XYZ, XY&Z, XZ and YZ (or any other permutation), it could still be Z, given that we don't necessarily know the context of Masuda's statement. a third version is also still more money than nothing and despite not being a conventional third version, BW2 still only sold marginally higher amounts than Emerald and Platinum (and i think less than Yellow and Crystal?).

Last edited:
"XY&Z" -> Z
The twist is that we get one prequel and a sequel, together! I was reading a "leak" on how XY is a prequel game set two years before X and Y, involving Zygarde Core and Zygarde 10%, meanwhile Zygarde complete is in the seuqel, Pokemon Z. I donot agree with the details, but a prequel game AND a sequel could work wonderfully. A prequel could explain why Zygarde is 50% in XYand a sequel could continue the story with Zygarde complete.

overreading. as i've said countless times now, no business is going to say "we like to be predictable" or "we don't like to surprise our fans." there's only one instance of GameFreak surprising us and that's with BW2 which was Grey, until (likely) Nintendo told them to do it better. ultimately Z is simply a placeholder name. the next game (games?) could be XYZ, XY&Z, XZ and YZ (or any other permutation), it could still be Z, given that we don't necessarily know the context of Masuda's statement. a third version is also still more money than nothing and despite not being a conventional third version, BW2 still only sold marginally higher amounts than Emerald and Platinum (and i think less than Yellow and Crystal?).
There is nothing to overread. They're not going to say that Z is predictable and that they want to be surprising and then turn around and release Z. B2W2 sold more than every third version (except Yellow), and they would've sold millions more had they not been DS games.

In other words, if they never wanted to be unpredictable, they wouldn't actually say that they want to be unpredictable. They'd simply not address anything about the future.

Last edited:
You keep referring to the multiverse concept as if it has always been around, but obviously it hasn't. When speaking of the Dark and Steel type retcon, it has to be viewed in context - and back then, it was a straight-up retcon. The games were not conveniently divided into discrete universes.

But again, we didn't know that until ORAS. Retroactivity does not mean that the contradiction never existed at all. Until we were able to play the Delta Episode, XY was regarded as a part of the same continuity as the previous games, and my theory about Gen 6 being a continuity reboot bordered on total crackpot.

"XY&Z" -> Z

The difference there is that Best Wishes 2 was announced along with/after B2W2. The anime was following the games' lead. In this case though, letting the anime take the lead sets up certain expectations for a certain game, which would be more advantageous to subvert.

If there is to be a third game, a prequel is an interesting idea that hasn't been done before. However, I want to ask - why put it before ORAS? I would think that it would make more sense to set it in between the two sets of Gen 6 games, so that it can bridge the gap between the two (there are even a number of bits and bobs that are well set-up for it; Dexio, the Anistar Sundial, Looker's amnesia, the Battle Frontier, the "other" Team that came to Anistar, etc.).

I agree there. My idea was prior to ORAS, for purely continuity issues. For a linear timeline,.

However, it could go in the middle. It's just that having it prior to both could set it in the past of Kalos. Maybe even a lot before both? I know its far fetched though...

Sequels are generally easier to do then prequels and I usually prefer them. But if surprising fans is important, then prequels would work better.

Last edited:
I've seen the XZ&YZ or X2&Y2 or paired versions thrown around a bit... I'm not so sure if they'd really go with the paired versions this time, since Pokemon Go is going to be able to connect to the main series, we'll highly likely be able to transfer our Pokemon to the probable single game.

And like I've mentioned before, even if "Pokemon Z" is a third version, why expect it to follow Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum in how they worked 100%? They have some things they can do to change the whole "third version" thing. It can still be a different adventure / story if they made us start in Southern Kalos and revolved the story around Zygarde, they've never had the games actually revolve around the Legendary.

I'm not sure why people are wondering about the whole "Are we really getting Z? It's too obvious." I mean, this time, we can say the anime is promoting the games. How would the anime help promote "Pokemon Z" if the arc started after it was released? People who have played the games probably wouldn't watch it and the ratings won't increase like they seem to be wanting it to. Most or some fans when they were younger watched the anime first and got the games later, so perhaps they're doing that from now on? It seems like a fine idea marketing-wise IMO.

EDIT: Has anyone thought that perhaps the reason they're including the Gen I Pokemon in Go is because they're cutting down on the Pokedex for the next Kalos game? It's either that or they'll introduce new species if they keep the ~450.

Last edited:
There is nothing to overread. They're not going to say that Z is predictable and that they want to be surprising and then turn around and release Z.
there was a slight typo, forgot a word (guess you couldn't pick that up). and as i've said, no business isn't going to talk themselves up. you know, that's PR 101. and after all, despite all this rhetoric of wanting to be unpredictable and to surprise fans, GameFreak is still a really predictable (despite being unpredictably predictable) company.

B2W2 sold more than every third version (except Yellow)
barely. it sold 280,000 more units than Platinum, 1.5-6 million more than Emerald and Crystal. which, for a game everyone claims is oh so amazing, is somewhat underwhelming. it undermines your "third versions are less money" argument. because, you know, Black-2 and White-2 still made less money than any other main series game, remake, and barely more than most third games (though it perhaps had higher profit margins).

and they would've sold millions more had they not been DS games.
pure speculation. ORAS has still sold less than FRLG and HGSS and XY has still sold less than every other main series game.

Well, you could say it used to be a continuity issue until we got FRLG/HGSS fixing that. Similarly to how it'd be if a potential Z would possibly fix some of XY's issues.

Even if XY was in the same continuity I wouldn't see it as an issue: see my Magnemite comment.

Or maybe they decided to use the anime to create hype. It's not such a crazy idea to start promoting a game a few months in advance rather than from the its release day. The Johto saga started airing in Japan before the game release too, so it's not even the first time the anime is doing something ahead of the games. Maybe they're trying to see how that works for them nowdays.

They're not going to regress to a third version

You don't know that.

unless they want less money.

You don't really know it would necessarily be less successful sales-wise than BW2 were.

Please don't suggest that Masuda was being misleading.

He could be misleading or misunderstood. Or just spewing whatever came to his mind at the time while plans changed later. Or they're not going to call it "Z" but it'll still basically be a "Z"=third version.

that's operating under the assumption that GameFreak intended for there to be a multiverse

I don't believe they intended on a "multiverse" prior to ORAS, but back then it was just like FRLG and HGSS rewrote and replaced RBY and GSC making them irrelevant.
If you don't want to call it universe, then still: RBY and GSC became completely separated from the later games both due to being unable to connect with them and also due to FRLG/HGSS making them irrelevant.
So one could possibly complain at the steel/dark retcon back when we just had the gen 3 games, but ever since HGSS came out there was no reason to complain anymore as they changed everything that needed to be changed to fit with the rest of the GBA/DS titles.
RBY/GSC have always been completely isolated from the later games, regardless of any "multiverse".

if XY was created without the Mega-verse in mind, GameFreak clearly didn't care that in one country Gardevoir would take damage from a certain type and then suddenly in another country, and only in this country so far, it is suddenly completely immune.

Battle mechanics. I already explained my view on it with the Magnemite example.
They can do whatever they want mechanics-wise. It can only become a continuity issue if the dialogues/plot refer to it and the text/story between games contradicts each other.
At least that's how I view it. Which is why I wouldn't mind ORAS having fairy as a battle mechanic but never mention it in dialogues although they ended up mentioning it.

virtually all of these contradictions stem from having to remind players that these new mechanics exist, arguably this is not them not taking care to contradict themselves so much as a natural retcon that occurs because they don't need to tell players in Gen IV that Steel and Dark are new types, because they already know. i'm not sure why you're getting so twisted over retcons, when they're fairly common.

They could easily inform players of these new mechanics WITHOUT contradicting themselves though. Characters in-game could mention the fairy type and its weakness/resistances without claiming it is newly discovered.

but it is secret-ish? in all of Hoenn, only May, Brendan, Wally, Steven, Maxie, Archie, Lisia, and Steven can use Mega Evolution.

How can you claim it is "secret-ish" when not only it seems like it's commonly knowed about by everyone but as you just pointed out is used by famous people like Lisia and Steven?

God this is getting tiring... I guess I've expressed my opinions enough by now and I'm just repeating myself.
I think I'm going to mostly avoid discussing this stuff from now on and just wait for some actual news.
Whatever they choose to do we all will have to accept. I'm gonna try to be happy with whatever they decide to give us and enjoy the next game for what is, whether it will fit what I want it to be or not. I just hope they reveal it soon so all the speculations and clashing desires can be put to rest.

I don't believe they intended on a "multiverse" prior to ORAS, but back then it was just like FRLG and HGSS rewrote and replaced RBY and GSC making them irrelevant. [...] So one could possibly complain at the steel/dark retcon back when we just had the gen 3 games, but ever since HGSS came out there was no reason to complain anymore as they changed everything that needed to be changed to fit with the rest of the GBA/DS titles. RBY/GSC have always been completely isolated from the later games, regardless of any "multiverse".
so you're openly admitting here that FRLG and HGSS are retcons? so why can't ORAS make a minor retcon (re: only in Kalos)? we've already established that Mega Evolution is no more than a MacGuffin and isn't nearly as big of a plot point that most people exaggerate it to be. so, if you could speak clearly into the mic, why are retcons such a problem for you?

It can only become a continuity issue if the dialogues/plot refer to it
the in-game type charts tell me that Gardevoir should not be immune to Dragon, yet there we were in XY. i am confused, but thankful for this retcon nonetheless. and your Magnemite example still doesn't work because of the passage of time. in RBY, three years prior to GSC and the classification of Steel, your Magnemite took neutral damage from Ember, three years later it takes super-effective damage. this is not the case with XY and BW2, prior to the release of the Delta Episode, that is. there are Gardevoir in Pokémerica that take neutral damage from Dragon Claw, yet the instant they cross that threshold into PokéFrance, they are suddenly immune to that same Dragon Claw.

They could easily inform players of these new mechanics WITHOUT contradicting themselves though. Characters in-game could mention the fairy type and its weakness/resistances without claiming it is newly discovered.
right, because no one would question why Steel and Dark are suddenly classified or why Fairy is suddenly a type if they ignored their newness. and as we've said before, newly discovered is a broad phrase in science. after all, the discovery of the double-helix structure of DNA is considered a fairly recent discovery.....despite being 50 years ago.

How can you claim it is "secret-ish" when not only it seems like it's commonly knowed about by everyone but as you just pointed out is used by famous people like Lisia and Steven?
if famous people like Lisia and Steven make it not secret in Hoenn, then famous people such as Diantha and Lysandre make it not secret in Kalos. that does seem to be close to the case, given that there's an entire local landmark dedicated to Mega Evolution and most people do seem to be aware of Lucario being the first Pokemon to have Mega Evolution induced by a human.

Last edited:
Well it seems that for the first time in a long time all eyes will be on the anime. I've literally seen tons of people say that they're going to tune into the XYZ series so people are expecting big things from the anime.
I believe the anime promised quote on quote new Pokémon so it seems like this series will be the gateway for everything.

that's operating under the assumption that GameFreak intended for there to be a multiverse

I don't believe they intended on a "multiverse" prior to ORAS, but back then it was just like FRLG and HGSS rewrote and replaced RBY and GSC making them irrelevant.

While ORAS established the Megaverse split, Black and White already established that each game is its own continuity. The man who gives you the cell battery explicitly asks for a Pokemon that knows Charge from a universe where Opelucid was more/less developed.

If you transferred a Pokemon from Generation 3-5 to X/Y, some place on the information screen include: "This Pokemon traveled through time and SPACE"... While in Generation 5, a Pokemon from the Generation 3-4 games had the message "Apparently arrived at level --- after a long travel through time," so the idea for X/Y being in another universe from Gen 3-5 was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom