• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A big hint for Gen VII instead of more Gen VI games, is everything about Pokemon Go:

- It makes much more sense to release such a product at the beginning of the Generation, not at the end. It makes much more sense to release such a product in the beginning of. Gen VII, so it can be used for the whole generation, than release it with Z in the end of gen VI, and have it become incompatible with the next game a year later.

- They showed a time line of Generation-starters only, implying a new one for 2016. No third version was featured along this timeline. Not even a sequel like BW2 was shown. ONLY games that started a new generation.

I think gen VII is getting more and more likely, while the possibility of Z is lowering.

If that is the case then Zygarde's forms would be anime and spin-off games exclusives. Gen 7 games would obviously use gen 7 legendary pokemon as mascots and not a previous gen pokemon. I don't like gen 6 to end with ORAS but that is up to Game Freak. I don't see Pokemon Go as a big hint for gen 7 personally. AshGreninja being anime and spin-off exclusive is one thing but if Zygarde is also exclusive that way then Game Freak had wasted our time with making forms for it.

If that is the case then Zygarde's forms would be anime and spin-off games exclusives.
There are more options than "anime-exclusive" and "version mascot", you know. It could simply be available in a new region as part of the post-game with some exposition about its past in Kalos.

If that is the case then Zygarde's forms would be anime and spin-off games exclusives. Gen 7 games would obviously use gen 7 legendary pokemon as mascots and not a previous gen pokemon. I don't like gen 6 to end with ORAS but that is up to Game Freak. I don't see Pokemon Go as a big hint for gen 7 personally. AshGreninja being anime and spin-off exclusive is one thing but if Zygarde is also exclusive that way then Game Freak had wasted our time with making forms for it.

1. Gen VII can have a new legendary as mascot, but still have Complete Zygarde as the protagonist for the post game (in Kalos). Mega Rayquaza was not the game mascot of ORAS, and was the star of the Delta episode. They could repeat this strategy.

2. Gen IV ended with HGSS, a remake. Gen VI could do the same.

3. I don't like Pokemon Go either, but it IS a a big hint.

1. Gen VII can have a new legendary as mascot, but still have Complete Zygarde as the protagonist for the post game (in Kalos). Mega Rayquaza was not the game mascot of ORAS, and was the star of the Delta episode. They could repeat this strategy.

2. Gen IV ended with HGSS, a remake. Gen VI could do the same.

3. I don't like Pokemon Go either, but it IS a a big hint.

The only reason Rayquaza was post game was because there wasn't going to be a Delta Emerald. Zygarde is a pokemon that is like Giratina and Kyurem, unknown in the first pair of games but gets a game for itself later on. Gen 4 ended because it already create Platinum as the third version and HGSS came afterwards. I disagree with you on Pokemon Go, there isn't anything there to suggest the next gen and I would have noticed if it did.

@Alexander Mewtwo never got his own game, you know... Not even in FRLG did they give him a plot, or made him a mascot. And he is more popular than Zygarde.

Instead of making a third game for Kalos, Kalos can be in the next generation as post game.

Pokemon Go is a big hint for gen VII as I explained in my other comment. If it's no evidence for you, ok.

Last edited:
@Alexander Mewtwo mever got it's own game, you know...

That is because Mewtwo wasn't a part of a trio like Kyurem and Giratina. I am assuming that Zygarde is somehow a related to Xerneas and Yveltal. I prefer Kalos to not appear in the next gen because GSC and HGSS didn't do the two region thing so well.

Last edited:
That is because Mewtwo was a part of a trio like Kyurem and Giratina. I am assuming that Zygarde is somehow a related to Xerneas and Yveltal. I prefer Kalos to not appear in the next gen because GSC and HGSS didn't do the two region thing so well.

Still, Mewtwo is a very famous Legendary Pokemon, and hasn't been a game mascot.

I understand you there. Johto, my second favourite Pokemon region, was outshined by Kanto. But that's only because they didn't make the game more Johto-centered.

Last edited:
I appreciate it if you don't call me hun or any variation of that wood. I never said nor implied that I speak for everyone. It is not nonsense, it is my opinion but if it turns out to be the only news then we just have to wait for January or February. If there is no game announcement after February then we can say hello to gen 7 cause February is the maximum for me.

I call everyone hun and sweetie. Always have, always will. Sorry 'bout it. And GF will announce whatever's next whenever they want to. They could announce Z in May and everyone would just have to deal. I'm just here to wait and see what happens. But yes, you have implied you speak for everyone by the simple fact of using blanket statements.

Do we have a precedent of a Gen having two unused slots?

Gen. 4 and Gen. 3 have unused location data going up to next year's movie. Pokémon from those movies' respective events, actually. No idea what that means.

I call everyone hun and sweetie. Always have, always will. Sorry 'bout it. And GF will announce whatever's next whenever they want to. They could announce Z in May and everyone would just have to deal. I'm just here to wait and see what happens. But yes, you have implied you speak for everyone by the simple fact of using blanket statements.

No I haven't implied anything and you can stop saying that. May is far too long of a wait for an announcement. If we don't get one by February, gen 7 would be more likely than Z and that would be disappointing. Right now, I don't expect anything big in this months corocoro consider we got no leaks so far.

There are more options than "anime-exclusive" and "version mascot", you know. It could simply be available in a new region as part of the post-game with some exposition about its past in Kalos.

Still, Mewtwo is a very famous Legendary Pokemon, and hasn't been a game mascot.

I understand you there. Johto, my second favourite Pokemon region, was outshined by Kanto. But that's only because they didn't make the game more Johto-centered.
Okay, if any of this turns out to be Kalos was a mere afterthought for Game Freak, hey'll get an even bigger backlash than the West gave them about the lack of a Battle Frontier AND teasing it despite never intending to revisit it. I'm starting to wonder if Gen. 6 was the filler generation instead of Gen. 5 right now. Sure, BW started our current linearity, but they made up for that by telling a really good story. If they plan on shelving Kalos leaving Zygarde's story and XY's loose ends for a small post-game story, then I have to wonder if Game Freak is even trying to make quality games anymore. I mean, hey're still doing a fine job so far, but the future doesn't look so bright.

Don't be tidiculous Kallyle, GF would never shaft the main region like that, and Gen 7 happrning on the 3DS is abiyt as likely. I find the notion that game wise Kalos is done for within its own ges, and thst this discussion is wildly out of hand. If and when gen 7 gets announced, sure discuss a Kalos post game in the advent of no final iteration. Until then though I am hellbent on stixking in gen 6 till its fone properly.

Let's see... the games that were revealed in the past have used various different announcements, they have used the same announcement twice at various times.

• Pocket Monsters Platinum was announced in CoroCoro, not long before Shaymin's Sky Forme was revealed in 2008.
  • Pocket Monsters HeartGold and Pocket Monsters SoulSilver were announced on Pokémon Sunday on Q2 of 2009.
  • Pocket Monsters Black and Pocket Monsters White were announced on the official Japanese Pokémon website, a few days before Pokémon Sunday showed it in 2010. Back then, it just showed the names and the checkered background, no starters or even any screenshots were shown until Pokémon Sunday.
  • Pocket Monsters Black 2 and Pocket Monsters White 2 were hinted by Junichi Masuda when someone asked about "sequels" (which made us all think it was going to be "Gray"). Then it was revealed on Pokémon Smash! in January, a week after in 2012.
  • Pokémon X and Pokémon Y were announced in a Pokémon themed Nintendo Direct called "Pokémon Direct" in January 2013.
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire were announced out-of-the-blue on every official Pokémon website, including the English one, after an investors meeting with Junichi Masuda.

If I'm going to speculate (which I already have many times before), it's not impossible for a "Pokémon Z" to be announced late in Zygarde's promotion. Only problem is, we wouldn't be surprised about it, unless it was revealed out-of-the-blue on the official Pokémon website (which is likely to happen again, just when we've given up hope on a new game). Thing is, we're very unlikely to hear anything about a new game in CoroCoro. Anything that is said to be "big news" around this time would be anything about the 19th Pokémon Movie. So they're likely to reveal Volcanion and the plot of the 19th Pokémon Movie. At the best, they could reveal the final name of the Detective Pikachu game and the screenshots of it. And at the worst, we could be just receiving "Sceptile in Pokkén Tournament" announcement in CoroCoro (which was already announced about a day ago).

So... we'll see what the leaks show tomorrow, but I can guarantee you that it won't be anything really exciting.
As for next Kalos game being in gen 7, that is unlikely to happen and I prefer it to not happen. Gen 6 started with Kalos and should end with Kalos games. I don't like the idea of Zygarde being a mascot pokemon to gen 7 instead of gen 6. Gen 7 legendary pokemon should be the mascot of the first gen 7 games and no a gen 6 pokemon.
I'm just curious, what would you do if it turned out that seventh generation was revealed instead of a "Z"? What would you do if it turned out that seventh generation had two regions, with one of them being Kalos (in the same way as GSC/HGSS did)?

Last edited:
Pokken is actually left to Famitsu when it comes to news, thre has not been a spread or coversge piece on it at ll in CoroCoro.

The one thing that makes me optimistic that its game related, besides the use of Pocket Monsters, is the other bit. Its big news for Pocket Monsters in 2016. As in its revealing something that will exist or be released in the upcoming year. It would be weird to use the calender year when it comes to revealing an event Pokemon, wouldn't it?

Okay, if any of this turns out to be Kalos was a mere afterthought for Game Freak, hey'll get an even bigger backlash than the West gave them about the lack of a Battle Frontier AND teasing it despite never intending to revisit it. I'm starting to wonder if Gen. 6 was the filler generation instead of Gen. 5 right now. Sure, BW started our current linearity, but they made up for that by telling a really good story. If they plan on shelving Kalos leaving Zygarde's story and XY's loose ends for a small post-game story, then I have to wonder if Game Freak is even trying to make quality games anymore. I mean, hey're still doing a fine job so far, but the future doesn't look so bright.

- The absence of a Battle Frontier only produced a small negative backlash in the West, it only seems big here, on internet forums. Most fans didn't care about the lack of a Battle Frontier. Especially if they didn't play gen III, or if they only played Ruby and Sapphire.

- Yes, as you said, GF decided to honour the Frontier without ever intending to bring it back. They probably thought there would have been a bigger negative backlash if they didn't even mention it in ORAS. I know GF weren't (intentionally) teasing us, they just thought fans would like a few Easter Eggs like that... It was an error imo, but an insignificant one for the majority of players, except for a bunch of people that constantly bring the subject up to make it seem important.

- If no Kalos game follows this Gen, and we go to gen VII, Kalos will be important in it. Not a tiny post game like post game Kanto GSC, HGSS. They wouldn't repeat the same mistake for a third time.

- Gen VI is not a filler generation by any means. I don't think ANY generation deserves to be called such a thing. From a game perspective, no gen is a filler. From a hardware perspective, gen V was obviously the filler for obvious reasons, but it wasn't really a filler either. As I said, GF doesn't make filler generations...
Gen VI is definitely one of the most important generations they have made, because it introduced so many new things: 3D, Mega Evolution, Primal Reversion, Fairy type, etc. No other game introduced so much since gen II. It is one of the most important Gens ever, regardless of getting a third installment or not.

As long as GF doesn't change their formula for the main series games, those will continue to be awesome games.

Last edited:
On such conditions, it's to good to be true if they had prepared for Gen VII altogether for next couple of years without even consider the other popular media.

What I'm saying is, Pokemon anime series is still on the go at Z and their plot can go as far as it can go. If they would announce something like what I've said earlier, what would the anime become? Talkin' about wasted efforts. I prefer they shout out from the balcony and say, "Hey! Our Dev is confirming for Pokemon Z!" rather than, "We happily announce that Gen VII is on progress, everyone!" Wouldn't it be anticlimactic?

I'm sorry, but who are you to say that gen 5 was a "filler" generation like it's a fact?

I'm sorry, but who are you to say that gen 5 was a "filler" generation like it's a fact?
Exactly. I don't know why are people trashing entire generations like that. I don't even know who invented the concept of "filler gen", because GF certainly didn't. There is no filler gen, because GF puts a lot of effort and dedication in all of their games.

Last edited:
Yes, Gen. 5 was totally a filler generation since, you know, it only introduced the MOST amount of Pokemon in a new region out of all gens, had sequels to the main games instead of a third version, and started the true integration of the Pokémon global link into the main gameplay...crazy talk is going on here & it's laughable XD

Gen 5 is hardly filler. Its the first "international" game breaking away from the other 4, instead of introducing gamd mechanics briught abiut a focud on world building, and is arguably the most important shift in the series since gen 3.

Exactly. I don't know why are people trashing entire generations like that. I don't even know who invented the concept of "filler gen", because GF certainly didn't. There is no filler gen, because GF puts a lot of effort and dedication in all of their games.

Yes, Gen. 5 was totally a filler generation since, you know, it only introduced the MOST amount of Pokemon in a new region out of all gens, had sequels to the main games instead of a third version, and started the true integration of the Pokémon global link into the main gameplay...crazy talk is going on here & it's laughable XD

Gen 5 is hardly filler. Its the first "international" game breaking away from the other 4, instead of introducing gamd mechanics briught abiut a focud on world building, and is arguably the most important shift in the series since gen 3.

Okay, I am sorry that I said this. I actually like Gen. 5 very much, and I should have explained myself a bit better. By "filler", I meant that Gen. 5 was created to fill in the gap between between The Sinnoh games and the Kalos ones since Game Freak weren't ready to start developing games with a 3DS toolkit. I remember in an interview that Nintendoi tried to push Game Freak on to the 3DS right after BW. What I was trying to say was that Game Freak didn't think of Gen. 5 as a filler, it is clear that Nintendo did. Seeing as what happened with Gen. 6, I'd say that the opposite of those perspective occurred here.

Basically, Gen. 5 is my favorite, but Nintendo viewed Gen. 5 as filler, not me. It also seems that Kalos' lack of post game indicates Game Freak views Gen., 6 as filler, or at least Kalos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom