• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I guess all of you are right. And we can expect anything, even Delta Emerald so fanboys can have their Battle Frontier (I would be at least happy but I didn't really play it for hours) and as a sequel/revisit/"remake" of ORAS, a XYZ, Zero like someone suggested I dont remember who, sequels, a new gen, whatever. Sorry for being so close minded. I over think the patterns. I guess Masuda likes to surprise us, the fandom

Imo all our expectations, speculation and often disappointments, comes from this: Junichi Masuda LOVES to improvise. This is the key. We are CONSTANTLY looking for patterns, both in game and between games, and Masuda breaks those patterns all the time, and we suffer with that, because we thought patterns were a thing in Game Freak, but they aren't.

Masuda is doing this since day 1 : he removed the day & night cycle from gen II, and everybody was like WHAAAAT!?
He removed Seasons from Gen V
He removed the Frontier after Gen IV.
He removed difficulty levels after Gen V... Etc.

He always gives us something instead of what he removed (usually giving us more than what is held back) but people are still like: "but where is this or that feature? It was in the previous version". We want everything in one game, but GF know this is not a wise decision, so they rotate the features to keep us surprised.

Same with release patterns: we are all expecting a third version because there has always been a third version, and BOOM! Sequels.
This time we are all saying: "But there is always a second game in a region, before moving on" and Game Freak can break this pattern as well, simply because they want to surprise people. And because they fear people will lose interest in the games if they give us the same content and releases every game.

I'm not saying that Game Freak should always make their games 100% the same, but some patterns have good reason to stay the same. In the case of third versions, it's because the first two are incomplete or lacking in some way and the game manages to improve in certain areas and provide a better experience. Sure, they could skip out on making another Kalos game, but then the consequence of that is that Kalos will be remembered as a half-assed region with low content, a bad storyline, and Gen 1 nostalgia, and that isn't going to be a very fond memory. The fans will probably rage even more about the lack of a third version for Kalos than they did for ORAS not having the Battle Frontier. Even more so because everything they'd have done for 6th gen would add up to them simply not caring about the quality of their games anymore or the fanbase's needs.

Yeah, I guess all of you are right. And we can expect anything, even Delta Emerald so fanboys can have their Battle Frontier (I would be at least happy but I didn't really play it for hours) and as a sequel/revisit/"remake" of ORAS, a XYZ, Zero like someone suggested I dont remember who, sequels, a new gen, whatever. Sorry for being so close minded. I over think the patterns. I guess Masuda likes to surprise us, the fandom
If Delta Emerald happened, I would be both super excited and seriously pissed off with Game Freak. But I seriously doubt this is their next move. I mean, they never remake third versions... Oh, wait, that's a pattern.

And don't worry, it's hard to not make your own patterns xD

Imo all our expectations, speculation and often disappointments, comes from this: Junichi Masuda LOVES to improvise. This is the key. We are CONSTANTLY looking for patterns, both in game and between games, and Masuda breaks those patterns all the time, and we suffer with that, because we thought patterns were a thing in Game Freak, but they aren't.

Masuda is doing this since day 1 : he removed the day & night cycle from gen II, and everybody was like WHAAAAT!?
He removed Seasons from Gen V
He removed the Frontier after Gen IV.
He removed difficulty levels after Gen V... Etc.

He always gives us something instead of what he removed (usually giving us more than what is held back) but people are still like: "but where is this or that feature? It was in the previous version". We want everything in one game, but GF know this is not a wise decision, so they rotate the features to keep us surprised.

Same with release patterns: we are all expecting a third version because there has always been a third version, and BOOM! Sequels.
This time we are all saying: "But there is always a second game in a region, before moving on" and Game Freak can break this pattern as well, simply because they want to surprise people. And because they fear people will lose interest in the games if they give us the same content and releases every game.

And what is the suprise of a new generation? We get a new gen every few years and there are people who think that a new gen comes next. What now? Not releasing an new game at all?

A suprise is not either a completly new region or an old, but in which form the next games are. This is why we got 2 games last gen.

They've had enough problems providing enough content for a one region game now, do you really trust them with two? They'd be doing double the amount of work that they did with XY and ORAS, so that wouldn't be some couple month delay for them to polish up a two region game, they'd need 1+ years to get such a game right most likely. And at that point it probably wouldn't be worth it to them so they shouldn't even bother. Ultimately it'd be more worth their time to stick with Kalos and mold it into a more worthwhile experience than trying to double the game's size and balance all of that. It's simply not very feasible for them to attempt multiple regions, especially nowadays.

I'd be willing to at least give them one more chance before I'm against the idea of there being more than one region in a game. On the topic of content, I'm assuming your referring to X&Y? If so the first games of the generation usually tend to have the least content when compared to their successors. Also we really have no idea how long they've been working on the next installment. What I was saying was not how long they're taking to release it since Zygarde's forms were revealed but how long they've been working on it since this generation started.

I'm not saying that Game Freak should always make their games 100% the same, but some patterns have good reason to stay the same. In the case of third versions, it's because the first two are incomplete or lacking in some way and the game manages to improve in certain areas and provide a better experience. Sure, they could skip out on making another Kalos game, but then the consequence of that is that Kalos will be remembered as a half-assed region with low content, a bad storyline, and Gen 1 nostalgia, and that isn't going to be a very fond memory. The fans will probably rage even more about the lack of a third version for Kalos than they did for ORAS not having the Battle Frontier. Even more so because everything they'd have done for 6th gen would add up to them simply not caring about the quality of their games anymore or the fanbase's needs.

We, Pokemon fans, are spoiled fans. First pairs are still fine games.

Third versions are not a good pattern, to start with. They only make the original pair feel cheap and useless, because they add more content, that could and should have been in the originals pairs in the first place. Third versions are their excuse to hold stuff back from original pairs.

Gen V was the first gen to partially break with this pattern, because, although it had less content than the sequels, at least it had a better storyline, managing to stay unique thanks to that.

Last edited:
If Delta Emerald happened, I would be both super excited and seriously pissed off with Game Freak. But I seriously doubt this is their next move. I mean, they never remake third versions... Oh, wait, that's a pattern.

And don't worry, it's hard to not make your own patterns xD
Gen X: After Kalos remake, we get Pokemon Amethyst with Lati@s as the mascots and Rayquaza as the main antagonist who lost respect for humans after seeing the actions of Team Aqua and Team Magma, and Team Aero tries to take advantage of its state of age for its super evil plans and its your task to use the Eon duo to hold back Rayquaza until you defeat the evil team and you calm down Rayquaza. Damn, that sounded so much like Arceus in the HGSS chapter of the manga

Gen X: After Kalos remake, we get Pokemon Amethyst with Lati@s as the mascots and Rayquaza as the main antagonist who lost respect for humans after seeing the actions of Team Aqua and Team Magma, and Team Aero tries to take advantage of its state of age for its super evil plans and its your task to use the Eon duo to hold back Rayquaza until you defeat the evil team and you calm down Rayquaza. Damn, that sounded so much like Arceus in the HGSS chapter of the manga
I never say no to a Hoenn game, and this sound sweet... But I am very satisfied with ORAS, so I am fine with that. It makes more Hoenn games unnecessary, tbh... But the more Hoenn games, the better :p

Last edited:
I never say no to a Hoenn game, and this sound sweet... But I am very satisfied with ORAS, so I am fine with that. It makes more Hoenn games unnecessary, tbh... But the more Hoenn games, the better :p
Actually it'd be more to a sequel to ORAS in a long distant future. I'll tell you what;: we play as new characters there's customization pokemon following you and then we have a Jirachi in game event which leads you to having three wishes from six choices, idk all pokemon leveled up all TMs the chance to get all legends etc

Like I said over in the CoroCoro thread, it's very likely that Volcanion being announced this close to 2016 means that 2016 will be the year a generation (6) ends, not when it (7) starts.

Both Arceus and Genesect before Volcanion were announced the same year as the final games of their generation were released (HG & SS, BW2 respectively).

Z or whatever it is, is coming in 2016. Generation 7 is coming in 2017. I'm sure of it now.

Actually it'd be more to a sequel to ORAS in a long distant future. I'll tell you what;: we play as new characters there's customization pokemon following you and then we have a Jirachi in game event which leads you to having three wishes from six choices, idk all pokemon leveled up all TMs the chance to get all legends etc
A sequel would be awesome!

Like I said over in the CoroCoro thread, it's very likely that Volcanion being announced this close to 2016 means that 2016 will be the year a generation (6) ends, not when it (7) starts.
It's still 2015 last I checked. The February reveals are what counts when it comes to big movie news; Volcanion being revealed now means that there is something bigger than it coming.

Genesect may have been revealed in July 2012, but nothing would have changed had they waited until December. They didn't really promote it much in 2012.

And Brendan/May would be final boss with all three starters in the team. And Wally is the champion, sadly Drake died so Zinnia took his place, and Phoebe retired. To see after Mount Pyre so a new Elite Four took her place and she is a Fairy Type user

We, Pokemon fans, are spoiled fans. First pairs are still fine games.

Third versions are not a good pattern, to start with. They only make the original pair feel cheap and useless, because they add more content, that could and should have been in the originals pairs in the first place. Third versions are their excuse to hold stuff back from original pairs.

That would be fine had XY not been so light on content, but since they are it's pretty much too late. Since they've already made XY feel like they're holding back (and even more so than past generations as a matter of fact) we need another set of Kalos games now.

Gen V was the first gen to partially break with this pattern, because, although it had less content than the sequels, at least it had a better storyline, managing to stay unique thanks to that.

Nothing's stopping them from doing the same with the next Kalos games.

A sequel would be awesome!

Not to me it wouldn't. ORAS was barely tolerable and I had enough of that kind of Hoenn. Pokemon Z or whatever won't have two regions because that kind of thing failed before.

We shouldn't look at past patterns and whatever precedents there were anymore- with the way things are going it is almost pointless to even mwntion what GF did before and stuff. I'm interested to see what GF has in store for us. If they said they wanted to surprise us, might as well expect the unexpected

had XY not been so light on content, but since they are it's pretty much too late. Since they've already made XY feel like they're holding back (and even more so than past generations as a matter of fact) we need another set of Kalos games now.

Nothing's stopping them from doing the same with the next Kalos games.

I think XY lacks post game content, but it doesn't lack that much content.[/QUOTE]

It needs more than just post game content. It needs more optional areas (including an entire post game section), more extra content and features (Kalos doesn't have any kind of extra feature on the same level as Contests, Secret Bases, Join Avenue, Pokestar Studios, etc.), more battle facilities, and drastic improvements to the storyline. That's more than enough to warrant making a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom