• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure something similar could be happening here, but then why go through all the fuss over the new Zygarde forms? They could have easily made a teaser using a previously known Pokemon again and said "stay tuned" and that would have sufficed. Instead they decided to throw Zygarde's forms out to the public and even advertise it heavily.
You do realize that they're showcasing the Zygarde Formes in the anime, right? The teaser wasn't pointless even if it had nothing to do with the actual movie.

You do realize that they're showcasing the Zygarde Formes in the anime, right? The teaser wasn't pointless even if it had nothing to do with the actual movie.

I think that Zygarde would be in the movie and the teaser was dead on. This isn't like the Ho-oh and Lugia teaser. Zygarde can feature along with Volcanion in the movie as there is plenty of room. Plus they are the only ones of gen 6 that haven't appeared in other movies. Zygarde's forms can be promoted by the anime series and a movie as well. There is nothing stopping Zygarde from being in the movie.

They're no longer adveritising it in the context of the movie. Insisting that it has to be featured is pretty silly at this point.

I disagree with you. Just because they no longer advertising it, it doesn't mean it is not appearing. I am sure Zygarde would feature in the movie in some sort of conflict with Volcanion. Zygarde can still be promoted by the movie.

I'm not saying that I think there will be anymore movies focusing on gen 6 after this next one, but I can't c it being a clear cut gen 7 is the next game to be released flag either.

Actually, there is one more movie mascot they can squeeze out of Kalos; AZ's Floette. Team Flare seems to be linked to Zygarde in the anime, since XY&Z is focused on both of them. And while not every character from the games ends up in the anime, AZ and his Floette are too major to be ignored. And with every Kalos legendary getting a focus (Xerneas, Yveltal and Mega Diancie in one movie, Hoopa in another, Volcanion in the third and Zygarde in the main anime), it would make sense that the reason why Mega Evolution exists (the Ultimate Weapon, which was created for Floette) would also be explored in a movie, since it was a major plot point of the Kalos games. And AZ and his Floette are just too perfect to not include in a movie exploring its origins.

I'm not saying the teaser would b pointless if Zygarde wasn't in the movie necessarily. I was just trying to say that they could have easily made the teaser something else. If they wanted to keep Zygarde and it's forms anime only rather than bringing it into the movie they could have just done that with it's own context. Instead they decided to use Zygarde 100% to introduce the next movie. To me that means that in some way it'll make an appearance. It could b as small as a back flash or as big as fighting Volcanion, but I think it will make the move into the movie to some degree.

I'm not saying the teaser would b pointless if Zygarde wasn't in the movie necessarily. I was just trying to say that they could have easily made the teaser something else.
Like what? Volcanion? I think it would have been silly to reveal Volcanion ahead of the Zygarde Formes considering that the latter are getting showcased first.

It could b as small as a back flash or as big as fighting Volcanion, but I think it will make the move into the movie to some degree.
It could just be a cameo in the opening. That's what Ho-Oh and Lugia ended up getting, and likewise for the Mega Evolutions that were teased by the first Movie 17 poster.

It could just be a cameo in the opening. That's what Ho-Oh and Lugia ended up getting, and likewise for the Mega Evolutions that were teased by the first Movie 17 poster.

I doubt Zygarde would be cameo. It is too good of a pokemon to not be in the movie.

As for AZ's Floette, it isn't going to be in the movie because it is not as important as Zygarde and it is not vital to the movie.

When we say, Game Freak might want to change pattern and skip the third version this time, what exactly would the reason be though? Because missing the opportunity of a third version is losing money. Why would Game Freak want to not win extra cash? They can basically resell XY with a few additional tweaks, etc like they always do, and sell 7 millions or more. It's what they always did. Not because it's a trend but because it's a trend that sells very good.

Last edited:
Is it just me or did we suddenly fall for the Gray trap all over again? If we did, this will change your mind:

"Fans assumed after the release of Pokémon Black and White that we’d see something like a Pokémon Grey. And after Pokémon X and Y, fans were expecting something like a Pokémon Z. Will we no longer see those type of Pokémon games in the future? Extensions of already released Pokémon titles?

Masuda: For the Pokémon brand, and for Game Freak, our first and foremost goal and top priority with these titles is to always surprise and excite our fans. I’m not going to say we won’t ever do those things again, but we consider the timing and what would be the most surprising or exciting for fans at the time. Everyone was really expecting Grey, so it was exciting to come up with something fans really didn’t expect."

Last edited:
If we have to discuss financial gain, a third version could easily end up selling around 6 million units much like Emerald, whose sister versions had been more successful than XY. Generation VII will more than double that figure. Sure, it would also sell that much in 2017 (albeit not necessarily if the NX isn't a rapid success), but that would take a year longer. At the end of the day, 3-year generations are more profitable for Game Freak due to the initial versions being their most lucrative games.

Besides, if Game Freak want another 3DS-based generation due to being uncomfortable the NX right now, they have to release the games next year.

About the Volcanion and the movie; I would like to believe their is another new Pokémon we don't know about being announced, but, in all honestly, I doubt it completely and seriously think it will just be a Volcanion-Zygarde situation, like Hoopa's movie, no 'new' stars (apart from Hoopa's unbound form but also for the sake of ORAS ect), and then the 'Z' game to come, with Volcanion potentially getting a new form for said game, that will also debut in the movie... and then in 2017, gen 7 will debut once 6 has wrapped up completely, all events done, and the Zygarde story, along with some more back-story on Mega's ect, stretched out maybe?

That quote is taken out of context I believe. When he talks about the next games being a surprise, he meant releasing ORAS immediately after XY. Doesn't mean they can't or won't go on to Z after ORAS.

Is it just me or did we suddenly fall for the Gray trap all over again? If we did, this will change your mind:

"Fans assumed after the release of Pokémon Black and White that we’d see something like a Pokémon Grey. And after Pokémon X and Y, fans were expecting something like a Pokémon Z. Will we no longer see those type of Pokémon games in the future? Extensions of already released Pokémon titles?

Masuda: For the Pokémon brand, and for Game Freak, our first and foremost goal and top priority with these titles is to always surprise and excite our fans. I’m not going to say we won’t ever do those things again, but we consider the timing and what would be the most surprising or exciting for fans at the time. Everyone was really expecting Grey, so it was exciting to come up with something fans really didn’t expect."

Sequels can potentially sell better than third versions, but they are continuation of the original duo, lile third games. Completely skipping an other gen VI game and going to gen VII, makes no sense, because it means losing the money they could add to this generation.

Guys, come up with a better name. Zygarde Complete Forme doesn't actually look like a Z.
That quote is taken out of context I believe. When he talks about the next games being a surprise, he meant releasing ORAS immediately after XY. Doesn't mean they can't or won't go on to Z after ORAS.

Here's the link: Pokémon’s Developers On Virtual Console Absences, Twitch, And Super Smash Bros. There's actually literally no other context but what I posted. You're thinking of something else, and amusingly, this interview actually disproves the belief that the one you're referring to is taken out of context.
Sequels can potentially sell better than third versions, but they are continuation of the original duo. Completely skipping an other gen VI game and going to gen VII, makes no sense, because it means losing the money they could add to this generation.

Technically, I didn't say they're "skipping" the game, but I have a hard time seeing how the game would be unique with just one version; it wouldn't be a sequel or prequel, and a "better" third version isn't a surprise, especially with the premature Zygarde Forme reveal.

Sequels can potentially sell better than third versions, but they are continuation of the original duo. Completely skipping an other gen VI game and going to gen VII, makes no sense, because it means losing the money they could add to this generation.

They're going to make money either way. They're probably going to make less immediate money with Z than with Gen VII. Gen VII gets to capitalize on the 20th anniversary hype and marketing as well - as opposed to just "Ehh yay play X/Y again except with 50% more Zygarde that you've already seen in the anime months ago."

That interpretation makes very little sense. Masuda chose to belittle the Z prediction when he could have just dodged the question.

Well if it is not called Z, then it would still be a game for gen 6 and would finish off Kalos. There is plenty to improve for the next Kalos game. It would be a bad move to not make a Kalos game with Zygarde as the main feature. Rayquaza got Emerald, Giratina had Platinum and Kyurem had B2W2. Zygarde is the next to follow this. Just like the others, Zygarde was basically unknown in the first games of the gen. It is only logical for Zygarde to appear in another gen 6 game where it has more focus and is not hidden in a cave where no one in the game knows about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom