• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, but its obvious that its a reference to ORAS after XY not Z after ORAS. Perhaps a simple Z version is out of the question, not like that's what I prefer, but a return to Kalos definitely isn't, not yet. If its completelu surprising like he says, then perhaps gen 7 is not the best option, if tjey can mix things up further then sequels.

I dunno why, but with the delta episode and its conclusion, it felt like a testbed for something different. Imagine if the next game has the badges as a sidequest and the real mcguffin quest is with the Zygarde Cores and cells. A proper adventure RPG, with exploring the region and collecting cells as the focus. Would be something alright.

Anything on the movie except some very minute details at thisnpoint are more then likely bogus, but what kind of rumors?
This is from 2 Ch the place I got the Volcanion info from. Anyhow, the word is that the new movie will feature a new form of a older Pokémon .

2ch isn't reliable when it comes to anything but possibly CoroCoro leaks, and obviously no one has access to next month's issue, let alone February's.

2ch isn't reliable when it comes to anything but possibly CoroCoro leaks, and obviously no one has access to next month's issue, let alone February's.
That's true however I think that it's interesting to note. Especially if Mew is in the movie.

That interpretation makes very little sense. Masuda chose to belittle the Z prediction when he could have just dodged the question.

I think that interpretation is coming from a different quote:

"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that[.] Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people.

There's been a lot of demand from people to remake Ruby/Sapphire on social media, for example[.] Right now really felt like a good time to do it, and instead of doing a direct sequel to X/Y we're tying it together in some unique ways."

Pokemon Director Explains Why Series is Becoming Easier - GameSpot

It's the "having Z straight afterwards" bit that people take to mean, "We just didn't want to do X/Y > Z > OR/AS". But to me, just switching up the order doesn't seem very surprising, and most people are still expecting Z in some form anyway. Whereas, introducing Zygarde's upgrades in the anime, and maybe giving it a dedicated side-story for the games, and skipping ahead to Gen VII actually would be something that most people didn't see coming.

It's the "having Z straight afterwards" bit that people take to mean, "We just didn't want to do X/Y > Z > OR/AS". But to me, just switching up the order doesn't seem very surprising, and most people are still expecting Z in some form anyway. Whereas, introducing Zygarde's upgrades in the anime, and maybe giving it a dedicated side-story for the games, and skipping ahead to Gen VII actually would be something that most people didn't see coming.

The idea of skipping to gen 7 is ridiculous and poor judgement on Game Freak's part. I don't want gen 6 to end with ORAS. Kalos needs an upgrade and Zygarde is not going to be the mascot nor post game story of gen 7.

Here's the link: Pokémon’s Developers On Virtual Console Absences, Twitch, And Super Smash Bros. There's actually literally no other context but what I posted. You're thinking of something else, and amusingly, this interview actually disproves the belief that the one you're referring to is taken out of context.
while not damning, the same interview Masuda also says that porting the old games via VC is not a focus for them right now.

That interpretation makes very little sense. Masuda chose to belittle the Z prediction when he could have just dodged the question.
to be fair, he didn't exactly answer it either.

There is just too much stuff this Gen hasn't used or done yet to move on.
E-Floette. It has a signature move. It will be released to the public eventually. But why would a Gen VI Pokémon be released in Gen VII?
Zygarde. Same reason. There was no story on it what so ever in XY. How Complete Form's original info in CoroCoro said 'it's strength overweighs Yveltal and Xerneas' or whatever it said, just shows that we will eventually need to compare them in-game, and why do that in a new Gen with new Pokémon and legendaries?
Volcanion is a Gen VI Pokémon. Why release it alongside completely irrelevant and new Pokémon. It's in the game's coding for a reason, because they wanted it in the game but either didn't have time or were waiting until another game release, not to tease it for a new Gen when Gen VI just started.
Ash-Greninja will probably be in the games. It's in Picross and I can just see that it's getting major promotion. It'll probably make its way into a game, and why would a Gen VI starter be in Gen VII?
All of this needs to be done, and it's just irrelevant to put it in an irrelevant Gen. If Gen VII does come, GF have made a huge mistake.

If we have to discuss financial gain, a third version could easily end up selling around 6 million units much like Emerald, whose sister versions had been more successful than XY. Generation VII will more than double that figure. Sure, it would also sell that much in 2017 (albeit not necessarily if the NX isn't a rapid success), but that would take a year longer. At the end of the day, 3-year generations are more profitable for Game Freak due to the initial versions being their most lucrative games.

Besides, if Game Freak want another 3DS-based generation due to being uncomfortable the NX right now, they have to release the games next year.

Third versions do sell less, but they also require less work since they can build it on existing assets from XY, , so that evens things out for profitability. Beyond that, there's no reason for them not to make another 6th gen game, we're going to be getting 7th gen eventually anyway, so if they skip to 7th gen they miss out on whatever profits they could get from the third version. In that sense it's an absolute no-brainer that they should continue 6th gen.

He was saying that updating games via remakes is more preferable to porting them to VC. Red and Green were already remade.
it's tomayto-tomahto. at the end of the day, RBY are still being released for VC despite Masuda saying that it's not their focus (or in your words that they prefer to do remakes).

what i'm getting at is that taking Masuda's remarks as 100% truth and the spoken word of the Lord is silly. as i've said countless times in the past, a company isn't going to say 'we like to be predictable.' no. they're going to keep touting that they like to surprise their fans, to listen to their fans. i would liken this to what someone said about in response to another person saying that Volcanion wouldn't be revealed in December's CoroCoro because it wouldn't be a big or new enough surprise: just because we (the part of the series's following that hounds for every scrap of information) aren't surprised, doesn't mean that little Jimmy from Casper, Wyoming (he doesn't follow Pokemon all that much) isn't surprised.

Last edited:
I'd say there's still the idea of Generation 7 still have us being in Kalos, but more than just two years later, and have us start in Southern Kalos. I don't know why a brand new Generation has to mean it'll be in a completely new region.

I'd say there's still the idea of Generation 7 still have us being in Kalos, but more than just two years later, and have us start in Southern Kalos. I don't know why a brand new Generation has to mean it'll be in a completely new region.

As long as they don't have new mascot Pokemon and new starters I'd be fine with this. They don't want to add in new Pokemon that could steal attention away from the remaining 6th gen Pokemon, whatever new Pokemon they introduce should complement them and round things out for Kalos.

Thing is, like Silktree mentioned earlier, we have events for ORAS till June. And not just any events, but a best of from all of the gens fan favorite events. If gen 6 is getting a final iteration, its likely it will be in the fall. In fact, if we look at things from this angle, it might be the bedt interpretation of things.. Volcanion and Mew, the first and last event Pokemon together in a movie celebrating the 20th. Gen 6 eventd to celebrate things up till this point, and a grand Zygarde plot which ties up around the reveal. And then we get a grand twist to the Zygarde stuff which justifies the 7 month wait and the splattering of Zygarde all over. Gen 7 has just as much a chance of hallening, and while right now the movie news supports it, it also makes sense for Mew in the same way.
Also thinking about it, maybe the events going up to June could mean the games are out in July? Would be insane to tie the movie release and game release together.

ORAS events until June doesn't mean that much. There's no reason that they couldn't have the final month of an event and simultaneously have a game release. Not that big of a deal. People can still get the event Pokemon in ORAS and then get the new games. I don't see a problem really. But you also make good points about Mew. It's completely possible that the movie focuses on Volcanion, Mew, and possibly Zygarde, too. Then getting Mega Mew and Z version or some kind of Gen VI game. Would be a great finale for Gen VI and it's plausible.

The VC releases have no connectivity to the main games, as in that case we would have way more unused slots for gamed in the coding for connectivity. And its local wireless not internet that was added, which actually makes the case for mew even stronger. Rerelease the games, get people accustomed to Kanto. Then along with the announcement of mew, they explain its history in the franchise. Finally, as the games get announced, we learn that Mew gets a backstory and has a quest in game akin to Deoxys. Of course the movie event would have to be something else in this case, and I can think of a few for that instance.

You're probably correct, however there's no saying for sure that the VC games couldn't connect somehow. Even the coding spaces could be work around in a way (One slot allowing for ANY VC game Pokemon, combining the three into one, codewise. Or not. Who knows)

Though I really like the whole Mew idea and such.

As long as they don't have new mascot Pokemon and new starters I'd be fine with this. They don't want to add in new Pokemon that could steal attention away from the remaining 6th gen Pokemon, whatever new Pokemon they introduce should complement them and round things out for Kalos.

Sounds a bit like 6.5 to me. I'd be fine with it.

Last edited:

Tha doesn't make any sense. Gen 7 would obviously start in a new region and not Kalos. Zygarde would not be the mascot of gen 7 or be a post game story.

ORAS events until June doesn't mean that much. There's no reason that they couldn't have the final month of an event and simultaneously have a game release. Not that big of a deal. People can still get the event Pokemon in ORAS and then get the new games. I don't see a problem really. But you also make good points about Mew. It's completely possible that the movie focuses on Volcanion, Mew, and possibly Zygarde, too. Then getting Mega Mew and Z version or some kind of Gen VI game. Would be a great finale for Gen VI and it's plausible.

Sounds a bit like 6.5 to me. I'd be fine with it.

No. Mew has no purpose in Z or in the movie. We are not getting a gen 6.5 because that sounds ridiculous and a waste of time as a new generation of pokemon would come after Z.

You're probably correct, however there's no saying for sure that the VC games couldn't connect somehow. Even the coding spaces could be work around in a way (One slot allowing for ANY VC game Pokemon, combining the three into one, codewise. Or not. Who knows)
i think the only thing that keeps me unsure of VC to main series connectivity is the sheer difference in how Pokemon are coded. Gen I Pokemon don't have values for gender, shininess, nature, ability, and even their 'history.' someone suggested that GameFreak could just randomize those parts, but, to me at least, that makes less sense. i mean like, yeah it's technically the Machamp you caught in RBY, but is it really? i mean, virtually everything that would make it... it isn't there other than its sort of RBY geo-tag. of course, then you get to stuff like No Guard-Fissure Machamp and that would honestly be wild.

Is it me or is Volcanion getting more hype compared to his other two counterparts?Granted that could just be because he's the final Gen 6 Pokémon but maybe TPC has big plans for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom