• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on the topic of new regions. For anyone who thinks there can be a "southern part of Kalos" as a new region, do you even realize that the Kalos region was actually based of the entire country of France? Please take a look at the map again. That southern part that connects to the south west you were talking about? That's actually part of Spain, not France.

If the next generation was going to take a G/S/C-like approach (which I doubt will happen), which obviously most people here on the forum don't want, then it would have to be based of the United Kingdom, which is exactly north-east of France, and could connect to the Kalos region.

We're pretty much set on the path to a "Pokémon Z" being revealed, as far as I'm concerned, then followed by another sixth generation game in 2017. And if we do get a "Pokémon Z", don't expect anything more than a reboot to X and Y, with a slightly different storyline involving Zygarde and some new features. But what would that do, would it surprise us one bit? No, of course it wouldn't... it's just a reboot, because we're expecting more than that. But what would I do about it? Just play it as usual, no matter the storyline. ^^

But hey, we're getting mixed opinions here, I'd love to see something completely different. But even if it's something the same as X and Y, I'd love to enjoy the new features. But many of you are wondering... "why is it taking so long?". Well, it wouldn't have taken long to develop Pokémon Z, if it was a reboot, right? That's correct, but also... you've gotta also take into account that the developers at Game Freak actually had a year-long holiday from developing games. In other words... they weren't working at all and were all at home doing their own stuff and hanging with their families and stuff like that, and they don't get to do that much, due to the huge amount of work that they have to do. Just imagine having to stay up all night long, working over-time and not getting much sleep. That's pretty much what the developers have to face every day when they're working. Yes, they might have started development on Black 2 and White 2 right after Black/White, but then they had to have a year-long holiday, that's why we have a gap year in every generation, it should be considered a "break year". 2015 was no different, they probably only got back to work by November 21st, 2015. Which means we still have months before an announcement of Pokémon Z is made.

Back on the topic of new regions. For anyone who thinks there can be a "southern part of Kalos" as a new region, do you even realize that the Kalos region was actually based of the entire country of France? Please take a look at the map again. That southern part that connects to the south west you were talking about? That's actually part of Spain, not France.

...so? We'll go to Spain! Even more fun! Just because the Kalos we've seen in X/Y is based on the whole of France, doesn't mean the whole of Kalos is France. Maybe in the Pokémon world France conquered Spain and both countries together is now called Kalos lol.

If the next generation was going to take a G/S/C-like approach (which I doubt will happen), which obviously most people here on the forum don't want, then it would have to be based of the United Kingdom, which is exactly north-east of France, and could connect to the Kalos region.

Why exactly? What's wrong with Spain?

And if we do get a "Pokémon Z", don't expect anything more than a reboot to X and Y, with a slightly different storyline involving Zygarde and some new features. But what would that do, would it surprise us one bit? No, of course it wouldn't... it's just a reboot, because we're expecting more than that.

There's still that thing where GameFreak said they don't want to simply do Z, they want to surprise us. Or was that about releasing ORAS first? I've seen so much discussion about it, I don't really know anymore.

I think that they can do whatever they'd like to do at this point. There is a reason why it is more 'based of off' France, rather than being copied.

2015 was no different, they probably only got back to work by November 21st, 2015. Which means we still have months before an announcement of Pokémon Z is made.
If that's true, then we can expect a game announcement by november 2016. Considering the fact that people are already freaking out (some to a point of going mad), I don't believe GF is going to torture us that long.
(Also, funny that you randomly picked november 21st 2015. Exactly one year after ORAS-release.)

...so? We'll go to Spain! Even more fun! Just because the Kalos we've seen in X/Y is based on the whole of France, doesn't mean the whole of Kalos is France. Maybe in the Pokémon world France conquered Spain and both countries together is now called Kalos lol.

They already use the British Channel Islands as part of Kalos (sea spirits den etc) and although I'm not completely familiar with America geography, iirc the Western part of Unova, wasn't actually in New York but New Jersey, so I can definitely see them encroaching into Spain a little bit if need be.
There's still that thing where GameFreak said they don't want to simply do Z, they want to surprise us. Or was that about releasing ORAS first? I've seen so much discussion about it, I don't really know anymore.

The exact quote was something like if they came out with Z straight after XY that would have been too obvious, instead of doing a direct sequel they are tying it all together in a unique way. Now this could simply reference ORAS (which had only just been announced at the time) and we had no idea how the ORAS story would tie in with XY, or it could mean that they will throw something different at us, just like in Gen 5.

So I do think the final instalment will be something different, most likely not called Z. But I don't understand the logic of some that "tying it all together in a unique way" means they are going to cut the thing out altogether and skip over it to Gen 7, or outsource it to the anime which even in Japan has a much smaller audience than the games or some 3rd party developer

Found the exact quote after posting

For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people.

As I said WAY before XY was even released, what if Spain/Belgium/Europe is the bigger picture for Kalos? I would get into constant arguments with people about how France is too limited for the games (Ironically, the way XY lacks, I was partially correct). There would nothing wrong (as I said before), with breaking a little into Belgium in the North-East or Spain in the far South (if that is the case). It's not like they would have to name them entirely different regions, that would be petty.

Whatever happens next, I hope we get some answers about Zinnia & Aster, and if there really is a connection to AZ like some have speculated.

Que? Kalos is in no way based on all France, not by a mile. Its arguably not even half of France.
www.memo.fr/Media/Carte_France.jpg
cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8a/Kalos_alt.png
The mountainous part in the south, is right where the real cities of Bourges, Poitier and Bersacòn are. Belgium is literally a non region/country, with Ice Cavern and the valley north of it practically its entire size. Meanwhile there is about the same amount of land they can utilize for South Kalos. Of course I am not going to take things at complete face value, so I guess South Kalos could be smaller then the North while using all that land. And I posted this before, Massif Central is a huge wasted opportunity if they leave it alone. 150 extinct dormant volcanoes, with plateaus, and mountains that are hollowed out. And you're telling me they didn't utilize it as inspiration for a location, in a region where you have Volcanion, a Pokemon who can create or destroy mountains at will? Which supposedly has a people that worship it, in the same part the real world France has the mountains? Which we haven't even seen yet? I don't beliwve in coincidences, there HAS to be something there. GF so far has done there research properly and they wouldn't squander an opportunity like that.
As I said WAY before XY was even released, what if Spain/Belgium/Europe is the bigger picture for Kalos? I would get into constant arguments with people about how France is too limited for the games (Ironically, the way XY lacks, I was partially correct). There would nothing wrong (as I said before), with breaking a little into Belgium in the North-East or Spain in the far South (if that is the case). It's not like they would have to name them entirely different regions, that would be petty.
If they do something in Europe, or go for a European tour and do something like the first 4 gens with Japan, I would assume the next 3 regions would be based on the Nordic territories, maybe Finland and Sweden together, Italy and Greece. Italy and Greece especially could be interesting as hell, going for an overall plot and lots of connections for the two regions. If not Italy, then definitely Greece, they have a love relationship with the country and it shows.

Wait a minue, Delibird holding a relic gold is the gift for fedtive feud this year? Why has no one commented ob this yet? Its so random and useless, Kalos and ORAS don't have item maniacs. I wonder...

Last edited:
Que? Kalos is in no way based on all France, not by a mile. Its arguably not even half of France.
www.memo.fr/Media/Carte_France.jpg
cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8a/Kalos_alt.png
The mountainous part in the south, is right where the real cities of Bourges, Poitier and Bersacòn are. Belgium is literally a non region/country, with Ice Cavern and the valley north of it practically its entire size. Meanwhile there is about the same amount of land they can utilize for South Kalos. Of course I am not going to take things at complete face value, so I guess South Kalos could be smaller then the North while using all that land. And I posted this before, Massif Central is a huge wasted opportunity if they leave it alone. 150 extinct dormant volcanoes, with plateaus, and mountains that are hollowed out. And you're telling me they didn't utilize it as inspiration for a location, in a region where you have Volcanion, a Pokemon who can create or destroy mountains at will? Which supposedly has a people that worship it, in the same part the real world France has the mountains? Which we haven't even seen yet? I don't beliwve in coincidences, there HAS to be something there. GF so far has done there research properly and they wouldn't squander an opportunity like that.

If they do something in Europe, or go for a European tour and do something like the first 4 gens with Japan, I would assume the next 3 regions would be based on the Nordic territories, maybe Finland and Sweden together, Italy and Greece. Italy and Greece especially could be interesting as hell, going for an overall plot and lots of connections for the two regions. If not Italy, then definitely Greece, they have a love relationship with the country and it shows.

Wait a minue, Delibird holding a relic gold is the gift for fedtive feud this year? Why has no one commented ob this yet? Its so random and useless, Kalos and ORAS don't have item maniacs. I wonder...

Greece would be a dream for me as I'm greek and study Greek Mythology! That would complete my life! They could do a lot with Italy and Greece, I like that idea. Southern Europe and parts of Turkey as well as some of the middle east with Cyprus included could make a good region with a balance of water and ground.

Kalos is missing about a quarter to a third of France. though it would probably be small and a bit cramped, a S. Kalos would technically be possible in some fashion.

i'm not following why it would have to be based off the UK. care to explain?

the recession hit Poké-Spain even harder. gyms are being shut down right and left.

Spain is a beautiful and place, but not very suitable for a Pokemon game imo. It lacks some different landscapes to differentiate it from what we already have with France. What I mean is, France and Spain are too similar geography wise...

Generally, I have an issue with Game Freak choosing European countries as the basis of new regions. Europe as a whole, lacks the adventurous feeling that Japan offered us. The West, as a whole, is too urbanized and settled to create the need to go and explore it. Not enough nature. Too much urbanization and straight forward routes. (Or maybe it's because I am too used to it xD)

As for a possible Z, I think an expansion to more islands ( Channel, Sardinia, etc) would fit better than Spain, or other mainland, etc. I think Kalos as a whole lacks more water routes, and since Azure Bay and the islands around it are absolutely gorgeous, I would love some more islands.

As for Spain, I guess they could expand through Catalonia, or even the Basque Country. Also Andorra. But the landscapes wouldn't change much... Northern Spain is too similar to France.

@godiego The recession in Spain is over, or that's what president Rajoy said. XD

Last edited:
How in the hell is Japan more suitable then the west when it comes to exploring a region inspired by it, and why doe the design choicess for the regions route laths have to be a direct result of that? They have always been straight lines, and always will be. Instead of making a mazw of fences, or say a bunch of ledges that blocks access to the early parts of the game until after the 4th gym, we got roads accompanied by untiuched pathes of nature, dual paths that might overlap each other or a myriad of other things they have done over the years. Hell, this gen brought us a forest that you get lost in akin to LoZs Lost Woods. More so, with Europe you have oodles of Nature to explore, from the forests of the North to the mountains of the Mainland and the sunny coasts of The Mediterranean. And if we look at the states you have that x10. Urbanization actually helps when it comes to this department, as like I mentioned, it gets creative. I love the idea that a route is a man built road most if the time, but if you go off the beaten path and explore the world around it, there is a while nother layer to it. We need Unova's route design combined with the scenery of Kalos, then it will be clear.

I'm honestly not expecting more to be built in Kalos in regards to towns, even if we get X2 and Y2 over Z. Kalos already is a pretty sizable region and I have no idea how they'd connect more cities into the network. It would also throw off the balance of Lumiose being in the center of it all.

How in the hell is Japan more suitable then the west when it comes to exploring a region inspired by it, and why doe the design choicess for the regions route laths have to be a direct result of that? They have always been straight lines, and always will be. Instead of making a mazw of fences, or say a bunch of ledges that blocks access to the early parts of the game until after the 4th gym, we got roads accompanied by untiuched pathes of nature, dual paths that might overlap each other or a myriad of other things they have done over the years. Hell, this gen brought us a forest that you get lost in akin to LoZs Lost Woods. More so, with Europe you have oodles of Nature to explore, from the forests of the North to the mountains of the Mainland and the sunny coasts of The Mediterranean. And if we look at the states you have that x10. Urbanization actually helps when it comes to this department, as like I mentioned, it gets creative. I love the idea that a route is a man built road most if the time, but if you go off the beaten path and explore the world around it, there is a while nother layer to it. We need Unova's route design combined with the scenery of Kalos, then it will be clear.

Disagree here. I think the Japanese regions are the BEST for a Pokemon game. Maybe because Game Freak are Japanese, but those games feel the best imo. Other Asian regions can be similarly good too.

However, I got to like Unova eventually. So I'd say USA > Europe for Pokemon regions...

Anyway, I don't find Kalos very adventurous. Too much fashion. Not enough exploration. But that's just my opinion.

Actually no. Take a look at this comparison maps. According to these maps, Kalos is only the north half of France.

http://orig00.deviantart.net/0557/f/2013/282/c/c/kalos_france_by_naruttebayo67-d6oxk3j.png
http://i.imgur.com/b2VGFBJ.png

As for the UK being Gen 7, I would love that. Yes, please.

Well, it wouldn't have taken long to develop Pokémon Z, if it was a reboot, right? That's correct, but also... you've gotta also take into account that the developers at Game Freak actually had a year-long holiday from developing games. In other words... they weren't working at all and were all at home doing their own stuff and hanging with their families and stuff like that

lol what? I'd like a source. I haven't heard of the entire Pokemon team at Gamefreak taking a year off. That simply isn't true.

Anyway, I don't find Kalos very adventurous,. But that's just my opinion of course. Too much fashion. Not enough exploration.
Considering that it's the region of "beauty", it makes perfect sense to focus on "fashion".

Disagree here. I think the Japanese regions are the BEST for a Pokemon game. Other Asian regions can be similarly good too.

However, I got to like Unova eventually. So I'd say USA > Europe for Pokemon regions...

Anyway, I don't find Kalos very adventurous,. But that's just my opinion of course. Too much fashion. Not enough exploration.
I dunno. I think Europe has plenty of potential. The urban sprawl and open fields of France are nust not for everyone. But get up into Scandinavia or down into Greece and Italy and you'll find a lot to love, I think.

Actually, I would love for Greece and Italy to be combined as one region entirely. That would make for an interesting layout.

Generally, I have an issue with Game Freak choosing European countries as the basis of new regions. Europe as a whole, lacks the adventurous feeling that Japan offered us.

You're forgetting that these games are Japanese in the first place, for Japanese players it probably is adventurous to explore Europe. And we've already had four regions based on Japan, so yeah.

Kalos would've probably been better if it had been based on multiple European countries, instead of one. France isn't interesting enough to base a whole region on, something Kalos has proved imo.

Maybe Gamefreak should just stop basing their regions on existing countries/places and design a region on their own.

Yes cause Unova had so much nature, wasn't urban at all.

the recession hit Poké-Spain even harder. gyms are being shut down right and left.

Would make for a great plot though: "Earn as much money as you can through Pokémon battles and save the gyms!".

I'd buy that game.

Last edited:
How does Europe not have potential? I don't understand that logic at all. Europe has tons of potential. Besides, the place in the real world where the region is based on doesn't even matter much. It's the quality of the game they produce. They can do whatever they want with the region, and saying that Europe isn't as good for Pokemon regions is just ridiculous.

@Soki Yes, I know. I am speaking from my perspective of a European xD Europe doesn't excite me as much as Japan/Asia and America, for a Pokemon game. Besides, I started with Johto, so understand my traditionalist point of view xD

PD Since, as you said, four regions, were based on Japan, we could visit China, or Thailand, etc

And Unova was urbanized, which is why I prefer Japan over USA for Pokemon games. But Unova still offered me more exploration than Kalos.

@Frozen ace trainer I know. In my opinion "fashion" is a very bland theme for a Pokemon game. Beauty is different from fashion however. And imo Kalos should have been focused more towards Beauty than Fashion.

@Ryuutakeshi western Europe seems to be my issue, as Eastern Europe attracts me more (still not as much as Asia or America, but still).[/USER]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom