• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Game Freak had said that 2016 will be made as a big celebration of the 20th anniversary. If that is true, then I doubt another sixth generation game would be big enough for them to say that. So it must be seventh generation. Hm... we won't know until it happens, I guess. Nintendo Direct has been dissolved, and we will hear about Nintendo Direct's successor program sometime next year. So I don't think there's any kind of media to announce the games worldwide within a livestream, unless Pokémon.com makes up one, on Ustream or something.
Because the VC releases of the gen 1 games isn't "big" enough?

Thing is though, celebrating the 20th with a generation change sounds like a trainwreck. You have to focus for the first half of the year on rushing through Kalos, while advertising a new gen, and then releasing it. On top of all that they are gonna actively promote and organize stuff to celebrate the 20th. Tell me how having all 3 at the same time going on is much better and logical then taking their time with Kalos, Celebrating the 20th and releasing the final Kalos iteration with in game features celebrating the 20th.

I'm sure there will be a new Pokémon announced in the 19th movie. But that won't guarantee a 7th generation within 2016. People who were around during 2004 - 2005 will remember how there were new Pokémon introduced, but no sign of a 4th generation until it was almost 2006, when it was confirmed.

I'm pretty sure Game Freak had said that 2016 will be made as a big celebration of the 20th anniversary. If that is true, then I doubt another sixth generation game would be big enough for them to say that. So it must be seventh generation. Hm... we won't know until it happens, I guess. Nintendo Direct has been dissolved, and we will hear about Nintendo Direct's successor program sometime next year. So I don't think there's any kind of media to announce the games worldwide within a livestream, unless Pokémon.com makes up one, on Ustream or something.
From what they said it seems like we're going into a full nostalgia mode complete with tons a spin -offs and a main game with a flower theme to end it all off.

Because the VC releases of the gen 1 games isn't "big" enough?
I am not really understanding the point you are making. Yes, the Gen I VC releases are huge, but its certainly not something that will carry a year-long anniversary celebration. Given that its lasting an entire year, ending the year-long anniversary celebration with yet another Kalos game isn't going to match the hype they've been building. A new generation would. It's also a nice juxtaposition--start the 20th anniversary with the re-release of the games that started it all, and end with the games that will usher in the new generation.

I'm sure there will be a new Pokémon announced in the 19th movie. But that won't guarantee a 7th generation within 2016. People who were around during 2004 - 2005 will remember how there were new Pokémon introduced, but no sign of a 4th generation until it was almost 2006, when it was confirmed.
Gen 4 was confirmed in 2004, with a planned release for 2005. Its hardly comparable at all, and if a gen 7 mon appears in the movie, it would mean gen 7 is coming in 2016. Which is why it won't.

Considering the anniversary hasn't even started yet and you've listed three different things already, they've done quite a bit. And you're literally the one who said "Because the VC releases of the gen 1 games isn't "big" enough?" in response to someone saying that Gen VI games wouldn't be "big" enough, which brings me back to my main point that you did not answer:

"I am not really understanding the point you are making."

Your post made it seem like VC is a bigger deal than a new Kalos game....Game Freak has confirmed a year long celebration....so how would another Kalos game keep up if you don't consider it bigger than the Gen I VC releases?
Kanto is the region that "started" it all. that needed celebration, and my post was that the vc. releases are a "big" deal enough; they don't need to start a new generation just for that. I wasn't trying to say that the vc releases were a bigger deal than another kalos game, i'm saying that they're enough for the 20th anniversary. And this thread has already gone several times in the past pages as to why gen 7 is unlikely, so please don't make me repeat it.

And this thread has already gone several times in the past pages as to why gen 7 is unlikely, so please don't make me repeat it.
I am not making you do anything--if you choose to repeat it, you do so of your own volition. With that said, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this comment is if not to tell me to stop talking about how I think Gen VI will go in 2016? I simply asked for clarification on a post I did not find clear.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Game Freak confirms 2016 to be a "Year of Great Celebrations" so it doesn't make sense that their biggest event would be something that was announced months in advanced taking place at the beginning of the year. It also doesn't make sense that releasing a game for the purposes of "making up" for what XY lacks (which is literally the only reason people give for wanting Z) would constitute a "great celebration"--yes, let's celebrate our mediocrity!

Gen VII or not, I am certain that we won't be visiting Kalos. With that said, if we are going to another region, I don't necessarily see why I can't consider Gen VII an option.

Last edited:
Its hardly comparable at all, and if a gen 7 mon appears in the movie, it would mean gen 7 is coming in 2016. Which is why it won't.
Good luck with that. I'm sure that Volcanion was revealed early for the primary star to turn out to be Eternal Floette or Jirachi.

And people will also remember when Zoroark officially debuted in July 2010 and a new generation was released in September. We can even make the timeline a bit further apart by going when Zorua/Zoroark was initially revealed, but that would still be within the same year. Then there's X and Y, which was announced in January 2013 with no prior advertisement and the games were officially released in September of that year. There wasn't even a Gen VI Pokemon in the movie--it only featured Mega Evolution (which wasn't even named)

Not sure why you're going all the way back to Gen IV to make your point when more recent data shows that Game Freak has been reducing the time between initial announcement and release, or the fact that Nintendo itself had previously stated their strategy is to start advertising games closer to their release rather than dragging on for months (or even years)....

Gen 4 was confirmed in 2004, with a planned release for 2005.
That is true, but it was announced in a press conference during the fourth quarter of 2004, which was long after Bonsly was announced for the 7th Pokémon movie, involving Deoxys.

That is true, but it was announced in a press conference during the fourth quarter of 2004, which was long after Bonsly was announced for the 7th Pokémon movie, involving Deoxys.
You mean Munchlax. It wasn't the star of Movie 7 and it only caused unnecessary confusion.

If there is any seventh generation next year, I'd love to see some kind of world premiere on some live stream. 'Cause we all know it would be a huge announcement.
You mean Munchlax. It wasn't the star of Movie 7 and it only caused unnecessary confusion.
Yeah, I meant Munchlax. My memory is terrible when it comes to stuff that happened about a decade ago.

I am not making you do anything--if you choose to repeat it, you do so of your own volition. With that said, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this comment is if not to tell me to stop talking about how I think Gen VI will go in 2016? I simply asked for clarification on a post I did not find clear.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Game Freak confirms 2016 to be a "Year of Great Celebrations" so it doesn't make sense that their biggest event would be something that was announced months in advanced taking place at the beginning of the year. It also doesn't make sense that releasing a game for the purposes of "making up" for what XY lacks (which is literally the only reason people give for wanting Z) would constitute a "great celebration"--yes, let's celebrate our mediocrity!

Gen VII or not, I am certain that we won't be visiting Kalos. With that said, if we are going to another region, I don't necessarily see why I can't consider Gen VII an option.
It isn't about making sense; from a business standpoint from a business standpoint, there's no reason for them not to make another Gen VI game. The third games/sequels are rather cost effective since they re-use the same game engine as the original pair of games in a generation, of course with alterations and additions. These are very cost effective, and although they never sell as well as the original pair of games, they usually sell at least 6 million copies, which is usually enough for the games to turn a profit. Make whatever theory you want, it makes very little sense for them not to release another gen 6 game when it could literally mean money in the bank.

Not to mention when you take into consideration the amount of Kanto shoved down our throats this gen, it doesn't make sense to not continue that with gen 6 for the 20th, considering how so far its been nothing but gen 1 merchandise. We have so far:
-The gym leader statues
-Reprints of the first TCG set
-VC release of gen 1 and the bundles

So yeah, considering how gen 6 has been focusing on Kanto, much like the anniversary, it would be silly to just jump off that boat all the sudden and go to gen 7. And if you argue that gen 7 could do something with the anniversary, then its even sillier the notion, two gens in a row pandering to Kanto Nostalgia.

Last edited:
then its even sillier the notion, two gens in a row pandering to Kanto Nostalgia.
Gen I: Original Kanto games
Gen II: Kanto "sequels" both in terms of plot (i.e., Team Rocket) and revisiting the region
Gen III: Kanto remakes
Gen IV: HgSs--same amount of Kanto focus as GSC
Gen V: ???
Gen VI: Most of the Mega Evolutions

I'm not entirely sure how its "silly" to think there would be multiple generations pandering to Kanto nostalgia since only one generation managed to escape it, and even then its questionable. While Unova had its own self-contained plot and Pokemon, many of the Pokemon archetypes used in Unova were a direct throwback to Kanto (e.g., Sawk and Throh)

It isn't about making sense; from a business standpoint from a business standpoint, there's no reason for them not to make another Gen VI game. The third games/sequels are rather cost effective since they re-use the same game engine as the original pair of games in a generation, of course with alterations and additions. These are very cost effective, and although they never sell as well as the original pair of games, they usually sell at least 6 million copies, which is usually enough for the games to turn a profit. Make whatever theory you want, it makes very little sense for them not to release another gen 6 game when it could literally mean money in the bank.
It only makes sense insofar that Game Freak thinks they could still make money off of the current generation. Going by your logic of "if you release it again, they will buy it anyway" why did they go an entire generation without remakes? Why don't they release third versions of the remake versions? I'd surely hope that Game Freak has a better financial strategy than "its been working so far!" given that their franchise actually has contenders now in the form of Yokai Watch and mobile gaming (the latter of which has been acknowledged by Masuda). From a business standpoint, how does it make sense to use the same strategies that worked from 2000 - 2010 when the environment has changed?

Another thing you seem to be ignoring in terms of your "business strategy" is that unlike every other generation, next year is the 20th anniversary. A new game can ride the 20th anniversary hype much better than a repainted game released in 2013. If it was any other time, maybe I'd agree with you, but I think it would be better "business strategy" to build up hype and use it to not only get old fans back, but to also grab fans away from competing franchises. You can't do either of those with a game that both these demographics have already ignored.

Masuda has also expressed interest (and consulted in) Pokemon GO and is interested in integrating it with the main series games. Since GO is focused on reaching the older fanbase (as evidenced by its initial trailer), does it make sense, from a business standpoint, to not try to entice these fans into buying their games? From a business standpoint, would you entice these fans with a repainted version of a game they've already ignored?

Also if we're talking "financial sense" Masuda has previously rejected the notions of DLC in favor of releasing "full games" (read: releasing the exact same game with new content that could be DLC) even though the former has clearly generated enough finances for Intelligent Systems to pull them out of bankruptcy and has been a steady cash-cow for Smash 4.

Last edited:
"Generation VI has to be continued for the 20th anniversary" is a ridiculous argument if you aren't even expecting Kanto to be included in the next release. Any Kanto elements that could be included in Z would work at least as well in a new region. The Mew focus would be especially appropriate if Guyana were incorporated into the next region.

If they released Diamond and Pearl on the 10th anniversary, they can certainly accommodate Generation VII in 2016. The real promotion for any late 2016 game will start in May; they have a good four months to focus on old elements before then. That certainly makes more sense than releasing Z an entire year after the reveal of the Zygarde Formes.

I am pretth sure that we just got confirmation that gen 6 is gonna last at the very least to March 2017

Either end 2016 or end 2017. They don't release a new generation early in the year. The first games of a new gen are the most important releases for the franchise and for better sales they release them in Fall every time.

If that is true, then I doubt another sixth generation game would be big enough for them to say that.

Main games are main games and a new main game with something like the PWT or something else to celebrate 20 years of pokemon would be enough, since the 20th anniversaty is not as important as the 10th or 25th

If they released Diamond and Pearl on the 10th anniversary, they can certainly accommodate Generation VII in 2016.

The only problem here is that DP was meant to be out in 2005 before they got delayed into 2006. They haven't cared about the anniversaty first in term of main games and now for the 20th, an anniversaty that isn't as important as the 10th, they still could not release a new gen at all.

And O-Giratina got revealed 7 months before Platinum came out = still would make sense to release Z in the first half of 2016 like BW2.

Wow the hypocrisy in the last pages, is this thread not called GEN VI the FUTURE? I'll admit I've gone off topic in the past, but PLEASE can you guys make a separate thread for Gen 7 predictions please? I understand and respect peoples opinions, but all I've been reading is "I'm certain, Gen 7 is next, don't argue, don't hesitate" lol, business standpoints and profit aside, we would all (majority of us here), be seriously misguided and unsatisfied with a move STRAIGHT to Gen 7 after all this bogus hype.

EDIT: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :)

Yes I know 7JayDee7 - Australia needs it , but hopefully will get 6 more gen (chinese zodiac)that means it has still a chance.(the most fitting fire starter would be a snake, or a sheep???).
India also was a Colony of the Roman Empire(Chesnaughts shield, Greek and Roman motive) then a colony of England, like Australia, potential hints for future.
For India a Ox or Tiger would be fitting for a fire type.
(if they want to mix fast and slow animals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom