• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to TPP, the games are built so that failure only comes from a couple sources.

1. Losing a battle
2. Accidentally getting stranded.

And as TPP proved, the games have always been designed so that eventually you can just brute force your way through them. Pokemon is sort of a gateway series for RPG. Deep mechanics for those who are interested, but overall very simple and not very punishing. I don't thank that's ever going to change.

Last edited:
Wait, really? They've got a lot bigger problems if ORAS is the best they can do with a full staff. Even taking the 3D graphics into account, the game feels very half-assed. They can do better than that, they just choose not to.

No, it didn't. The problem with XY and ORAS is that while they do offer a lot of extra things, most of them are small and shallow and don't really measure up to what they gave us in the past. There's simply nothing in those games that really compares to the vast post game offerings or the in depth sidequests (aside from ORAS having Contests and Secret Bases which were in every Hoenn game in the first place) of past installments.

That's why their games and consoles are selling lower and lower, right? Game Freak and Nintendo are so out of touch with what the market wants and makes so many questionable business decisions that if I had the same kind of technical expertise and resources they do, I honestly believe I could do better than them.

A lot more than you seem to think. Adults don't like to be spoonfed, you're not going to attract a lot of them if you force that approach on them.
ORAS are top class Pokemon games, and the opposite of half assed in most people eyes. You are in the minority. A very insignificant minority, it appears.

And if you think you know more than Nintendo, ok xD

No. Let's take blaine in rb/frlg, for example, with his team of ponyta, growlithe, rapidash and arcanine. Yeah, he uses weak NFE pokemon to fill in the gapes of his team. Did you really think they had a "chance" to bring you down? I don't think so.

The older games didn't have as many options so you tended to have more filler. Later games like Platinum which had more variety tended to have stronger teams, look at some of the later gyms in that game:

Candice: Sneasel, Piloswine, Abomasnow, Froslass
Volkner: Jolteon, Raichu, Luxray, Electivire

That's what a late game gym battle should be like, and they could easily do one like that now if they didn't have these absurd roster caps.

Ultimately, what annoys me is that, although Pokemon games have always been very easy, people are now complaining cause GF made them slightly easier than before. What's the difference??? If you want a hard game, go play games from the 90's, those were hard (Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 being one of my favourite).

If this or that gym leader had one Pokemon more in their team, and on a few levels higher, it doesn't change anything. Pokemon is meant to be easy. And some of us still enjoy it.

Last edited:
I will say I'm disappointed that GF experimented with difficulties in Gen V and it went nowhere (and was pretty awful in execution). And because of the amount of early route pokemon available, your starter no longer dictates early game difficulty. I wish they'd work on that.

I will say I'm disappointed that GF experimented with difficulties in Gen V and it went nowhere (and was pretty awful in execution). And because of the amount of early route pokemon available, your starter no longer dictates early game difficulty. I wish they'd work on that.

I think it's good that your starter doesn't dictate difficulty anymore. Charmander is the most popular in Kanto, why should all the people who pick Charmander go through hell in gyms 1 to 3, while, the guy that picks Bulbasaur can just sail through.

The games have never been terribly hard, but I do agree they've got easier. The EXP share firstly, and the lower levels of trainer battles and the reducing of trainers Pokemon.

Not to mention the Gym leaders and E4 all losing team members.

And i restarted on my platinum last month and i didn't struggle against anybody in the region.

So yeah.

c455d30b211206c8044cb2e2a5296318_600x400_large.jpg

Just because you didn't notice any difficulty changes doesn't mean that they aren't there, or that other people didn't notice them.

Ultimately, what annoys me is that, although Pokemon games have always been very easy, people are now complaining cause GF made them slightly easier than before. What's the difference??? If you want a hard game, go play games from the 90's, those were hard (Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 being one of my favourite).

If this or that gym leader had one Pokemon more in their team, and on a few levels higher, it doesn't change anything. Pokemon is meant to be easy. And some of us still enjoy it.

A lot of it is because the EXP Share's boost, I imagine. Being able to power grind your team so easily takes away what little challenge the games had. It's optional, yes, but it's the fact that it became so powerful so randomly. It worked fine for five gens, why the sudden change? There's also the fact that in X/Y you can mega evolve Lucario after the third gym, allowing you to literally steamroll every storyline fight. I know Pokemon has little challenge to it, but it makes you even question why they even bother putting a story in if they're just going to let you blast through it with OP mega evolutions. OR/AS literally hands you a Mega Lati for the last few hours of the story.

You can't even say the story arc serves as a tutorial for players, as that could be done much simpler and easier than a drawn out 20 hour+ scenario.

Last edited:
Back on subject, can we all agree that Volcanion s going to receive a new form in the upcoming months? I expect him to become something akin to Megaman boss. Also I though this different take on Volcanion was kinda neat http://pre15.deviantart.net/162a/th..._volcanion_unlocked_form_by_xxd17-d867jbe.jpg

Do we really need another canine? We already have DogGarde, giving Volcanion something similar would be unimaginative.

I'd like to see Volcanion get multiple forms just like the last event Pokemon in the generation always does. They could give Volcanion other forms involving different sources of power and the locked doors in the Power Plant could allow you to change its form.

Do we really need another canine? We already have DogGarde, giving Volcanion something similar would be unimaginative.

I'd like to see Volcanion get multiple forms just like the last event Pokemon in the generation always does. They could give Volcanion other forms involving different sources of power and the locked doors in the Power Plant could allow you to change its form.

I can definitely see a type based on wind power, on electricity, and also, France is known for being the worlds hub of Nuclear energy. They have the most power plants in the world. I'd love to see a Nuclear form, possibly Poison type, giving us our first poison legendary (besides Arceus Toxic)

Just because you didn't notice any difficulty changes doesn't mean that they aren't there, or that other people didn't notice them.

A lot of it is because the EXP Share's boost, I imagine. Being able to power grind your team so easily takes away what little challenge the games had. It's optional, yes, but it's the fact that it became so powerful so randomly. It worked fine for five gens, why the sudden change? There's also the fact that in X/Y you can mega evolve Lucario after the third gym, allowing you to literally steamroll every storyline fight. I know Pokemon has little challenge to it, but it makes you even question why they even bother putting a story in if they're just going to let you blast through it with OP mega evolutions. OR/AS literally hands you a Mega Lati for the last few hours of the story.

You can't even say the story arc serves as a tutorial for players, as that could be done much simpler and easier than a drawn out 20 hour+ scenario.
If people turned off the exp share, they wouldn't find the games so easy. In the Hoenn remakes for instance, gyms start off on lower levels than in the original RSE, but gyms 5,6,7 and 8 are of higher levels than in Gen III. Same with Victory Road trainersamd the E4. Why hasn't ANYBODY noticed this? The exp share. Turn that thing off, and the game is as challenging like previous generations.

Well technically Volcanion is a dog too but I see where you're coming from. I too would like to see him take the Rotom route however I think he's going the giant mecha route

In the Hoenn remakes for instance, gyms start off on lower levels than in the original RSE, but gyms 5,6,7 and 8 are of higher levels than in Gen III. Same with Victory Road trainersamd the E4. Why hasn't ANYBODY noticed this?

It's not that people didn't notice, it's just that the differences aren't exactly that big. In the gym battle, Wallace's Milotic is level 43 in R/S, and 46 in OR/AS. Winona's Altaria is 33 in R/S, 35 in OR/AS. They're not huge increases.

As for Volcanion...we already have a lot of form-changing event legendaries this Gen, it'd be nice to see one that's 'whole', so to speak, just as it is.

If people turned off the exp share, they wouldn't find the games so easy. In the Hoenn remakes for instance, gyms start off on lower levels than in the original RSE, but gyms 5,6,7 and 8 are of higher levels than in Gen III. Same with Victory Road trainersamd the E4. Why hasn't ANYBODY noticed this? The exp share. Turn that thing off, and the game is as challenging like previous generations.

I've said this multiple times, the Exp. Share means nothing unless you're an OCD player that needs to fight everyone. If you have Exp. Share on and avoid all non-essential trainer battles, you'll be fine. It's Super Training that makes everything needlessly easy. Exp. Share ON while avoiding all battles will usually keep you underleveled and then you can just grind on wild Pokémon. Simple.

With or without Exp. Share, the AI is too low and the teams are too small, so that's not sufficient for a difficulty setting. They need an actual difficulty setting, bring back Challenge Mode and make it available from the start.

The difficulty in Pokemon is fine. Either eceryone is being a try hard by saying the games are easy to boast abiot themselves, or because you're abusing the games mechanics to a point where it makes things easier. I've been playing the games since I was five, and while the games are relarively easy, there is no way you can say there isn't some semblance of a challenge. XY was a long enough game where the champion and the E4 had rematch team levels, and the AI to support it. And to get to the league, you had to go through a victorh road that ended on a 4 trainer long gauntlet that could hand your ass if not careful. Meanwhile ORAS bumped up some of the levels for the gym leaders, and had made some changes done for the Team magma/aqua portions of the game.

And imagine this, I actually had the EXP share on, and was at the perfect lecel, not too hard and not too easy. Like I said, if you abuse the games and use everythinf and the kitchen sink to imprive your Pokemon, its a nobrainer that you will be massively overpowered. And if you feel that bwcause you're so intelligent to break the game and that the difficulty should be analogous to your divine playing.....well Pokemon certainly isn't gonna be yiur cup of tea. Hell, I don't think any RPG would be.

I've said this multiple times, the Exp. Share means nothing unless you're an OCD player that needs to fight everyone. If you have Exp. Share on and avoid all non-essential trainer battles, you'll be fine. It's Super Training that makes everything needlessly easy. Exp. Share ON while avoiding all battles will usually keep you underleveled and then you can just grind on wild Pokémon. Simple.

Ah yes, let's play Pokémon without battling people. Fun.

And imagine this, I actually had the EXP share on, and was at the perfect lecel, not too hard and not too easy. Like I said, if you abuse the games and use everythinf and the kitchen sink to imprive your Pokemon, its a nobrainer that you will be massively overpowered.

Having the Exp. Share on and simply battling everyone is enough to be overleveled really fast, no tricks needed. I've never touched Super Training, never used Amie and neither the Dexnav to search for extra powerful Pokémon in ORAS. And still my Pokémon were at least 10 levels higher than everyone at the League. I think they were even 20 levels higher in X/Y, where I had the Exp. Share on at all times.

And like someone else said earlier: then there's the OP freebies you get; Kanto starters with mego evo's, Lucario with mega evo, Latios/Latios with mega evo. True, you can decide to not use the Exp. Share or the free Pokémon, but you still have to admit GameFreak is trying their very best to make an already easy game way easier for no good reason.

Last edited:
First of all, Volcanion is not an Electric-type, it is a Fire/Water-type! It's not related in any way to electricity or power plants in any way, shape or form. It is involved with steam and terraforming. Basically it's a combination between Groudon and Kyogre. I'm sure after the movie has aired or the event of it has been announced, I'm sure you will change your mind by then.

Secondly, I too... would love to see a new forme or even new formes of Volcanion. It could be related to terraforming in some way, shape or form. ^^

Bolt the Cat said:
The older games didn't have as many options so you tended to have more filler.
Um, yes they did. For example, they could easily have replaced blaine's growlithe or ponyta with a ninetales/magmar. They simply chose not to.
Lufenian said:

Did you even read my entire post?
Frozen ace trainer said:
By that, i meant that the gamesnever enphased on "difficulty". But since i didn't have trouble in my gen 4 games and you did, difficulty is entirely subjective; it all depends on the style/strategy of the player. Also, if it's the infamous exp. share that makes the game "too easy" for you then don't use it. Simple asthat.
Also, if you don't like them giving you a mega lucario then don't use it and stop whining about something that might be beneficial to someone else.

Last edited:
Ah yes, let's play Pokémon without battling people. Fun.

Having the Exp. Share on and simply battling everyone is enough to be overleveled really fast, no tricks needed. I've never touched Super Training, never used Amie and neither the Dexnav to search for extra powerful Pokémon in ORAS. And still my Pokémon were at least 10 levels higher than everyone at the League. I think they were even 20 levels higher in X/Y, where I had the Exp. Share on at all times.

And like someone else said earlier: then there's the OP freebies you get; Kanto starters with mego evo's, Lucario with mega evo, Latios/Latios with mega evo. True, you can decide to not use the Exp. Share or the free Pokémon, but you still have to admit GameFreak is trying their very best to make an already easy game way easier for no good reason.
I get it if your Pokemin where in the low 70s while battling the league, but anything over 75 and there is no way you weren't grinding to an extreme. With the game having a fixed exp gain from everything and no rematches available, I don't see how you were able to gain that many experience points unless your Pokemon where all traded or yiu had O powers activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom