• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, let's play Pokémon without battling people. Fun.

Ah yes, let's be sarcastic and rude. Fun.

At the end of the day, I only play Pokémon for the story and for filling up the Pokédex. If that means I don't want to have to fight 40 youngsters and lasses on my way to the mandatory 1000+ fights with the evil team in their base, then so be it.

It's not that people didn't notice, it's just that the differences aren't exactly that big. In the gym battle, Wallace's Milotic is level 43 in R/S, and 46 in OR/AS. Winona's Altaria is 33 in R/S, 35 in OR/AS. They're not huge increases.

As for Volcanion...we already have a lot of form-changing event legendaries this Gen, it'd be nice to see one that's 'whole', so to speak, just as it is.

So Pokemon's levels in ORAS were actually higher than in RSE but people are saying ORAS is easier than the originals, and nobody ever complains RS were too easy. How hypocritical is this? I don't mean you, obviously, just in general.

The truth is gen VI just offers you extra power ups like Super Training, Exp share etc, but it doesn't make you use any of those... So people are definitely overreacting.
I've said this multiple times, the Exp. Share means nothing unless you're an OCD player that needs to fight everyone. If you have Exp. Share on and avoid all non-essential trainer battles, you'll be fine. It's Super Training that makes everything needlessly easy. Exp. Share ON while avoiding all battles will usually keep you underleveled and then you can just grind on wild Pokémon. Simple.
True... I like battling most of the trainers, and even then I wasn't overlevelled many times. I didn't do Super Training until I got to Battle Resort though. And the exp share can be turned off too.

Last edited:
With or without Exp. Share, the AI is too low and the teams are too small, so that's not sufficient for a difficulty setting. They need an actual difficulty setting, bring back Challenge Mode and make it available from the start.

The XY AI, the used pokemon and the level are the highest ever in the main part of the game. That's not the real difficulty problem in XY. The problem is that the trainer use rarely more than 3 pokemon and the major problem was the exp spam in the game. Training in XY is to easy, since all the options like Ami, the EXP Share etc. give to much of exp than necessary.
And the gap between gym 1 and 2 is to big for the second leader only having Lv25 pokemon. If you are overleveled by the second leader, youre overleveled for the most part of the game until maybe the last leader.

So Pokemon's levels in ORAS were actually higher than in RSE but people are saying ORAS is easier than the originals, and nobody ever complains RS were too easy. How hypocritical is this? I don't mean you, obviously, just in general.

The truth is gen VI just offers you extra power ups like Super Training, Exp share etc, but it doesn't make you use any of those... So people are definitely overreacting.

It is hypocritical when you look at it in terms of straight levels. But let's be honest, nobody wants to play without using their favourite mega evolutions, and nobody really wants to grind every Pokemon one at a time (unless you're EV training, which is a different matter) when the Exp Share is there.
I wouldn't say people are over-reacting...I think people just want/ed a game with a difficulty slope that takes these things into consideration.

One ME isn't such a huge power up imo. And the rest of things are completely optional, and if they weren't there, fans would be criticizing Gen VI for not making training easier xD

One ME isn't such a huge power up imo. And the rest of things are completely optional, and if they weren't there, fans would be criticizing Gen VI for not making training easier xD

It's not just one, though. There's various mega stones available in the game prior to obtaining the key stone from Steven.

Yes, these things are optional, but extremely teasing imo. As soon as I got Latios in OR, it went straight in the box. It didn't stop my team from becoming seriously OP'd though, and my original team's base stats weren't the talk of the town either, which is ironic. The games aren't getting easier, their getting annoying, and the ONLY thing that made up for that in ORAS was the nostalgia. I say annoying, because I feel patronised 24/7, and yes, throw your "BUT IT'S A KIDS GAME" at me all you want, but NOBODY should feel like that lol. It's not a serious issue that the games are patronising, just, coming from BW/BW2, and how those stories panned out, you know, basically feeling like you were superior and responsible for many things, and then Gen 6 took that away. But that's just my opinion.

I think the subject of difficulty is purely and always going to be a matter of opinion. Some people struggled with Cynthia's Platinum team, others didn't, some people struggled with Ghetsis' team, others didn't, and the list goes on. I think that's what was so great about the games BEFORE Gen 6, the fact that everyone's experience was truly different. Gen 6 is like "HEY GUYS, take some mega stones, a Lati, we feel generous today, OOOH, and you guys want a Mega Lucario GIVEN to you after the 3rd gym? EVERYONE gets the SAME thing" .............

EDIT: This was not me being contradictory in the slightest, I only said the above to justify that everyone's experience is the same in the last 2 set of games we've had. Before Gen 6, it was more of a "cater-to-yourself" kind of experience.

Last edited:
Honestly I used neither the Exp Share, Super Training, Lucky Egg,any Mega Evos or anything to make ORAS any easier and I still found it really easy. The gym leaders where Id had a hard time before in RSE got beaten easily, Team Aqua/Archie got beaten easily and really the only real difficulty I had was at the Elite 4 and Steven. Games can be easy without the Exp Share, XY was pretty easy too and I turned off the Exp Share as soon as I knew you could.

Honestly the games dont need all that, I get its for kids, but its not like kids cant figure things out on their own. I really didnt like how in ORAS you were just handed Latio/Latias, I don't feel they need to do stuff like that, it takes part of the adventuring aspect of the games away. It was anticlimactic and ruined the game a bit for me.

I hope in the next game they dont do that, I know things like Super Training and Exp Share will return, thats fine because its optional to use them, but please no just handling the player a legendary, forced teleporting and things like that, I dont want to see those things again, just my take on the situation.

What post game facility do you expect for the next game? The Battle Maison again, the Hoenn Battle Frontier, a new Battle Frontier, a PW Tournament, or a brand new facility...

Personally, I expect the Battle Maison again, plus an other facility, like the PW Tournament, or a new original Facility.

The Battle Maison is easy to reuse, so I doubt they would miss the opportunity to, ambut they also said they want to surprise us, so I think it could mean a new, original Facility.

They made a very easy game, even easier. Not a big deal imo. The games have been too easy since gen II. And I don't mind it, personally.

Are you kidding me? The older games were insanely hard. To this day, as a Pokémon veteran, having played every game as they came out starting from Blue, I have yet to even beat Lorelei, much less become Kanto League Champion. The only time I beat a Champion was when my friend traded me their Level 99 Typhlosion in Silver, which became one of my fondest companions, and when I decided to use Treecko in Emerald.

Then Generation 4 came, and I've beaten every game since. Hell, I'm doing a replay of Ruby right now and it's just as infuriating and difficult as I remember, while I was able to sweep through AlphaSapphire in less than a week (I started my replay of Ruby a week before ORAS' release, for reference).

So no, the games have not always been easy. They started becoming easy with Gen. 4 onwards, and became literal child's play in Gen. 6... Sorry, not sorry.

Have you considered that...instead of the games being difficult to the general population...that you're just not that good? A level 99 Typhlosion to beat an Elite 4 whose Champion's strongest Pokemon is level 50?

Shut up, I was 7, jerk.

And anyway, comparing Silver to SoulSilver, Ruby to AlphaSapphire, one is harder than the other, even now.

Have you considered that...instead of the games being difficult to the general population...that you're just not that good? A level 99 Typhlosion to beat an Elite 4 whose Champion's strongest Pokemon is level 50?

How extremely rude? I am getting very concerned on this thread that some people are getting more and more personal in their comments.

BlackButterfree was sharing anecdotal evidence about how they struggle in past games but find new ones easy. I feel exactly the same, I've never beat the Elite4 in Gold, but easily beat them in HeartGold, and it's not to do with age either, I tried Crystal earlier this year and still couldn't beat it, but HeartGold I breeze through fine.

@BlackButterfree Same here tbh. I've played every game since the beginning, but only ever beat the champion in Ruby once I got it. Red I sort of gave up after Blaine, and Crystal (GS too), I could never get through Ice Cave (lol), that one puzzle near the end, and always gave up, it was only when I went back a few years later with online help I did it. I'm not stupid, I've just grown with the franchise and rightly so. They should respect at least some of our maturity coming to light, even with newer, younger fans. (Edit: I really hope that's partially why our third Kalos game is still in the oven, because it's being heavily seasoned right now, I'm hopeful).

What happened? @The Outrage had just made two comments, and they are gone...

Are you kidding me? The older games were insanely hard. To this day, as a Pokémon veteran, having played every game as they came out starting from Blue, I have yet to even beat Lorelei, much less become Kanto League Champion. The only time I beat a Champion was when my friend traded me their Level 99 Typhlosion in Silver, which became one of my fondest companions, and when I decided to use Treecko in Emerald.

Then Generation 4 came, and I've beaten every game since. Hell, I'm doing a replay of Ruby right now and it's just as infuriating and difficult as I remember, while I was able to sweep through AlphaSapphire in less than a week (I started my replay of Ruby a week before ORAS' release, for reference).

So no, the games have not always been easy. They started becoming easy with Gen. 4 onwards, and became literal child's play in Gen. 6... Sorry, not sorry.
I was just saying the only Pokemon game I found challenging was Gen I. A few battles here and there in Gen II and III, but nothing that challenging challenging. While in gen I it was pretty challenging.

Anyway, maybe the difference is that you don't like battling lasses and schoolboys? XD

Last edited:
GF should just make a novice and expert mode and everyone will be happy. Helter-skelter, we should probably get back on subject before things get even more balmy.

I heard somewhere that GameFreak's AI has levels ranging from 0 (easiest) to 150 (apocalypse imminent), but the strongest trainers in-game cap out at about 120, with the average trainer being in the 80's. I'll try to find it, but I'm sure I've read it.

Easy mode could be AI with levels from 0-50, Regular mode could be AI 51-100, and Expert mode could be 101-150, then it would be a bit more fun for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom