• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
if the level of oponents pokemon would be somehow counted and adjusted from your strongest pokemon and the average of your all team, then that overlevell and underlevel problem of oponents would be solved.(hardness level: easy, medium, hard)

This has been proposed before, and I liked the idea at first, until someone pointed out to me that it would wreck the positive feedback you get from training...

Say you're playing through a Pokemon game, about to go against a strong Gym Leader and you lose the battle. So you level grind for a while, and then you win easily.
But if the Gym Leader's team was auto-scaled to provide a challenge, there'd be no point to training or leveling up at all. No matter how hard you train, their team will always scale up proportionately, so you would lose the positive feedback you get from having trained your team and having said efforts pay off with an easy win. Rival battles and Gym Leader battles are the "bosses" in Pokemon games, they're there to provide some indication of how strong your team should be at that point in the story. If they scaled to meet you in the middle every time, there'd be none of that feedback and difficulty wouldn't change overall, really...

It would work in my opinion if say, the order you could face Gyms in was up to you, and their teams changed based on how many badges you had.

This has been proposed before, and I liked the idea at first, until someone pointed out to me that it would wreck the positive feedback you get from training...

Say you're playing through a Pokemon game, about to go against a strong Gym Leader and you lose the battle. So you level grind for a while, and then you win easily.
But if the Gym Leader's team was auto-scaled to provide a challenge, there'd be no point to training or leveling up at all. No matter how hard you train, their team will always scale up proportionately, so you would lose the positive feedback you get from having trained your team and having said efforts pay off with an easy win. Rival battles and Gym Leader battles are the "bosses" in Pokemon games, they're there to provide some indication of how strong your team should be at that point in the story. If they scaled to meet you in the middle every time, there'd be none of that feedback and difficulty wouldn't change overall, really...

It would work in my opinion if say, the order you could face Gyms in was up to you, and their teams changed based on how many badges you had.
Utterly brilliant, I would love for this to happen in the games if Gamefreak ever decides to give the players the freedom of making the story up to the player character doing gyms in any order, and then having "episodes" like delta after the main game of becoming the champion.

Gen. 6 already did good by allowing character customization, super training, and amie to help the player define who they were, what they wanted their pokemon to be like, and a way to directly interact with their pokemon...the only thing missing is allowing the player to decide what they do on their adventure with said tools!
#makeithappenGameFreak

Gen II G/S: Last gym leader has 4 pokémon, champion has 6 pokémon.
All Whitney needed was her Miltank. Seriously. Does anyone remember any of her other Pokemon because I sure as heck don't. Even dumber: I wrecked Whitney in Silver and Crystal. In SoulSilver, she got her revenge and slag near wrecked me. I owe my win to a Beedrill for pit's sake and that is not a joke. (Love ya Sting, little buddy!)
Gen V B/W: Gym leaders never have more than 3 pokémon, champion has 6 pokémon.
Elesa had two Emolga. Which used Volt Switch. Which slag near destroyed my team. I was honestly expecting an easy battle but ended up swearing in frustration for nearly twenty five minutes and had to fight the urge to throw my DS at a wall. I couldn't touch her flying rats at all but they could wreck me! Then there was Clay and that Excadrill who popped a Hone Claws and started shredding my team with reckless abandon. Again, I can't remember any of Clay's other Pokemon but I can never forget that Excadrill.

Now, before you ask: yes, I have played the previous Gens. None of them gave me any problems. The only time I got frustrated was playing Ruby and dealing with a rookie in Tate and Liza's gym; the rookie had a Wobuffet and my lead was my Blaziken. I saved before that battle and had to restart a couple of times but I really didn't need to; I just didn't want my Blaziken to faint. But other than that, I've never dealt with any real problems.
Maybe GF should bring back the EXP system from Gen V. I know everyone hated that, but if you want increased difficulty...
Actually, I would love it, as I loved the Gen V EXP system. But then again, I loved Gen V so maybe I'm just biased. But it would be really cool to see Gen V's EXP system utilized in a future game, maybe something like Z? (Oh and more Megas, please. I really want some more Megas as well.)

It just pains me sometimes how the EXP share is now, it makes you think, who was in the room when they made this decision, cause I'd so be the "no, we're not doing that, that's ridiculous" guy lol. I don't even think it's a matter of a opinion anymore that the new exp share sucks? Anyone actually like how it is now? and has anyone ever tried to compromise and try to work with it, like turn it off for certain battles ect? It's funny how having it on/off can now dictate how your entire playthrough will go. The new exp share IS basically the difficulty setting lol.

I just wanted to make this clarification: when people say how Gen VI cares mostly for the casuals, by making the games easier, this is only half true.

Gen VI is made to cater mainly to competitive players and people that want to get to the postgame easily.

Super Training is a mechanic that could help a casual win easily. But how many casuals do you think would actually BOTHER and do it? Very few, because they wouldn't have the patience and they probably prefer to not think about evs. EV training takes a lot of time.

Same with Dex Nav... If you reach a good DexNav level, you can get a Pokemon with good IVs and egg moves, etc. But how many casuals would interrupt their gym badge quest to do those? Dex Nav chaining isn't that easy to do either.

What I mean is, those are made to help competitive players save time when breeding competitive Pokemon and training them. So we don't need to spend time and effort chain breeding (thank you DexNav) and defeating thousands of wild Pokemon (thanks Super Training).

Yes, one of the reasons I like this gen is because it makes life easier for people challenging the post game Battle Facilities and competitives.
Making the game easier for casuals/beginners is also true, but not necessarily their main goal. What GF did is making the competitive scene more accesible for more people. I think that's very important.

PD However, if the opponent's levels got automatically on par with your team's levels it would really be awesome... But until they implement that, or reintroduce difficulty settings, I am happy with what we currently have. I do think people are overreacting a little.

Yes, but where is this clarification that Gen VI is "made to cater mainly to competitive players"?, and also the latter; ORAS main story was a decent amount of effort without catering to rush through it. Just because they enjoy putting more effort into making competitive play easier, and more accessible, doesn't mean that's what the entire generation is going to/does entail lol.

Not saying it's the only portion of players they wanted to cater to, just saying not everything is so casual- catering.

Also, the graphics and region design are so nice that, personally, I enjoyed going through X and AS just enjoying the story and exploring everything, and loving the graphics, rather than looking for a serious challenge. I was sure the challenge would come in the post game, with the Battle Maison and online battling.

Last edited:
Do you guys think something could be added to the VC gen I releases? Like, the lower screen could be used to play some sort of a side game? Otherwise the lower screen would be completely useless...

Other than this, when do you think gen II and III could be put on the VC? I really wanna play Crystal and FRLG on the 3DS xD

Could this happen next year as well, or would it be whenever gen II and III get their respective 20 Anniversary? I don't think we need to wait that long...

Personally, I think RBY hype could be handled in the first half of the year, while a Gen II release could be handled during the second half. Two cash cows for Nintendo to squeeze...

Last edited:
Do you guys think something could be added to the VC gen I releases? Like, the lower screen could be used to play some sort of a side game? Otherwise the lower screen would be completely useless...

Serebii did seem to make a big deal out of the file size for the download. (11mb) This info got its own unique post on his site and a tweet. I wasn;t sure if this was something significant, ie 11mb is more than the original game, or if he was just running out of things to post, (only so many times you can do a post about a new pokemon shuffle level)

Serebii did seem to make a big deal out of the file size for the download. (11mb) This info got its own unique post on his site and a tweet. I wasn;t sure if this was something significant, ie 11mb is more than the original game, or if he was just running out of things to post, (only so many times you can do a post about a new pokemon shuffle level)
I hope it's the former. And I think the size was much bigger (1mb for the original vs 11mb for the VC games).

Anyway, this is the biggest reason my VC hype is definitely lower than when they announced them: I realized there is nothing to do in gen I after beating the Pokemon League. A few fun mini games a la Pokemon Amie would be awesome. Not to speak of some more added rematches.

That's the main reason I would be more hyped for Crystal or FRLG on the VC: a lot more to do in the post game...

Were they? I thought they were just reporting it so people could clear space.

I have no idea how much space is needed to setup the wireless trading ceature, but I see no reason why they'd add anything else to the VC versions.

Were they? I thought they were just reporting it so people could clear space.

I have no idea how much space is needed to setup the wireless trading ceature, but I see no reason why they'd add anything else to the VC versions.
Adding a few cool mini games, just to use the touch screen for something seems like a good excuse to add something.

Adding a few cool mini games, just to use the touch screen for something seems like a good excuse to add something.
But that requires extra development time and resources that don't need to be spent. I'd imagine if they were going to use it they'd just put the menu there like they have been. Why put minigames on the smaller screen to distract from the main screen? Has pokemon ever done that?

But that requires extra development time and resources that don't need to be spent. I'd imagine if they were going to use it they'd just put the menu there like they have been. Why put minigames on the smaller screen to distract from the main screen? Has pokemon ever done that?

Well, yes. Pokemon Amie, Super Training, etc use the touch screen. I'm not talking about something as complex, just a few easter eggs. Something to entertain us after beating the Pokemon League. I doubt GF would do this, but the MB size difference gives me some hope xD

The file size is to accompany the emulator, whixh is downloaded along with the game. Its not like thre is one built into the system.

Well, yes. Pokemon Amie, Super Training, etc use the touch screen. I'm not talking about something as complex, just a few easter eggs. Something to entertain us after beating the Pokemon League. I doubt GF would do this, but the MB size difference gives me some hope xD
Play a different pokemon game then? This is the first I'm hearing of someone asking for GF to include minigames to entertain league champions.

About the Exp. Share, maybe they could change it back to the old method, but allow us to get 5-6 of them. Therefore, we could either help one Pokémon or the whole team. It's a choice.

Play a different pokemon game then? This is the first I'm hearing of someone asking for GF to include minigames to entertain league champions.
Wow, never thought about that option, thanks. (sarcasm)

Seriously though, I was just saying that they could add something, and I hope they do. I don't care too much.

Last edited:
About the Exp. Share, maybe they could change it back to the old method, but allow us to get 5-6 of them. Therefore, we could either help one Pokémon or the whole team. It's a choice.
An interesting solution, but it requires not using any other hold items.

Frankly, I don't think the EXP share was that bad in Gen VI. I turned it off when I didn't need it, even played through a whole run without it and enjoyed the challenge. It was made clear that GF changed the mechanic to adapt to players having less time to play through a game, but it still retained the ability to be ignored if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom