• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RGBY Kanto and it's remakes have a lacking story, but I am talking about sequels. A brand new Kanto based storyline with new protagonists, nothing to do with Gen I story.

Sequels is fine but we had about 10 or 11 games of Kanto. I would prefer a remake of Sinnoh before considering a sequel to Kanto story. Right now, there are things in XY that should be answer in Z.

I am still quite fond of Ghetsis just going straight-up batty in the end. Actually, know what, I think all of the villains' reactions to defeat have been fitting for their characters.

Giovanni walked away without consigning himself to either handcuffs, death or an eternity in a nightmarish purgatory ruled by Giratina. What can you say, the dude knew when to cut his losses.

I don't think that Cyrus is trapped. You and Cynthia walk out of the Distortion World just fine mere seconds later, and nothing stops you from entering/exiting it after that point. So really he's along the same lines as Giovanni, in that he slips away without punishment, though he is still dedicated to his goal.

Personally, I thought the way that Origins handled Giovanni was pretty much perfect, but I don't mind the HG/SS retcon either. Although Origins is still by far my favorite version of the Kanto story. Which leads me to a more relevant point - I still don't think there is any value in another Kanto remake. Especially since X/Y are already Kanto "remakes" in many ways. Going back to Kanto would, in my view, *have* to be done through a sequel, but after seeing OR/AS, I really don't think they are all that likely to innovate to the necessary degree, when they know they can sell just as much by recycling the plain old cold-cut Red/Blue nostalgia.

Cyrus has a much more grim fate in the anime. Enters a dimension that was likely destroyed.

I think the intent was to engrave Pokémon into pop culture as something that's more or less never going away. It's the first time that they made a commercial that wasn't a advert for something.

Meh. I definitely like all the small hints to Pokémon peppered throughout, but I can't help but feel they should've gone big or gone HOME.

I have a feeling they meant to include it in XY but ran out of time, that would explain those hints.

Maybe, maybe not. I would've much rathered that than the riding of all those useless, one-route Pokémon (minus Lapras).

i don't think Game Freak would be able to give tangible evidence that Lysandre died and still keep their game E. so i think the fact that he disappears and Xerosic and Malva are all that's apparently left of Team Flare is sufficient to assume that he died.

Xerosic and Malva weren't there. I would wager that all of the admins who you defeated (who you'd have to run past while escaping with your rival and Shauna) are not dead, despite never showing up again. I would argue the same for the scientists, who also weren't there and also never resurface.

And also, Giovanni's supposed suicide (which also isn't confirmed) is much more obvious than Lysandre's. And are we even sure he was committing suicide and not murder-suicide? Trying to kill you even if it meant sacrificing himself? In that case, I could definitely see him trying to escape while leaving you to your death or running for his life when he realizes you've escaped. There's gotta be a reason that the game goes from the three of you sharing a room with him to you three running into the middle of Geosenge. There's something missing that we haven't discovered yet.

Reactions: !Z!
You know I would chuckle if as a TAKE THAT to the portion of the Fan Dumb who believes that Game Freak should've stopped after the first and/or second gen, they should make a criminal organization whose goal is to purge the world of all pokemon who don't orignate from the Kanto and/or Johto Region. Is this absolutely absurd? Yes, but it'd be humorous and you could even say that they're Nazis by another name. It could also be a satire of how stupid bigotry really is .

You know I would chuckle if as a TAKE THAT to the portion of the Fan Dumb who believes that Game Freak should've stopped after the first and/or second gen, they should make a criminal organization whose goal is to purge the world of all pokemon who don't orignate from the Kanto and/or Johto Region. Is this absolutely absurd? Yes, but it'd be humorous and you could even say that they're Nazis by another name. It could also be a satire of how stupid bigotry really is .
Can't see that getting a 3+ rating can you? :p

Meh. I definitely like all the small hints to Pokémon peppered throughout, but I can't help but feel they should've gone big or gone HOME.

That's exactly what I thought. I don't get it, there is almost no real output, except for the nostalgic feel. Why would they spend millions of dollars, just to show one particular aspect of the franchise. They did that with a simple YouTube-clip for GO, and it worked. In addition, I think they could've made a lot more impact, if they used 'the element of surprise' by not putting the ad on YouTube.

I don't see anyone wanting the pokemon series to stop. Pokemon games, anime and stuff would go on regardless of what some may think. Kanto would return eventually but for now Kalos is the main focus.

That's exactly what I thought. I don't get it, there is almost no real output, except for the nostalgic feel. Why would they spend millions of dollars, just to show one particular aspect of the franchise. They did that with a simple YouTube-clip for GO, and it worked. In addition, I think they could've made a lot more impact, if they used 'the element of surprise' by not putting the ad on YouTube.
I think it's a subtle way to basically confirm that Pokémon is still around and going strong. It was used to more or less peak interest in those lost souls that left decades ago and as a guy who comes from a huge football family I can say stuff like this can have a huge impact on the more casual crowd. With something like Pokémon you have to ease people in and not overwhelm them or they'll feel discouraged about jumping back in after being eons away from the franchise.

Last edited:
Xerosic and Malva weren't there. I would wager that all of the admins who you defeated (who you'd have to run past while escaping with your rival and Shauna) are not dead, despite never showing up again. I would argue the same for the scientists, who also weren't there and also never resurface.
the only person that resurfaces that isn't a protagonist/'good guy,' is Xerosic. i'll give you that it's probably the closest thing to an open ending we'll get from Game Freak, but i'd heavily wager that despite its openness, they heavily push that Lysandre was buried in the rubble and died. i don't really see any other possible explanation for why Team Flare would so suddenly collapse.

And also, Giovanni's supposed suicide (which also isn't confirmed) is much more obvious than Lysandre's.
Giovanni's alive though......

I think it's a subtle to basically confirm that Pokémon is still around and going strong. It was used to more or less peak interest in those lost souls that left decades ago and as a guy who comes from a huge football family I can say stuff like this can have a huge impact on the more casual crowd. With something like Pokémon you have to ease people in and not overwhelm them or they'll feel discouraged about jumping back in after being eons away from the franchise.

Yes, I completely understand. But what I'm more referring to is: what are they actually selling us? A lot of companies play with people's feelings in commercials to increase sales (of course), but most companies, in the end, sell there product. Coca-Cola is a good example, they could've made an ad, just like this one: happy family, rainbows and unicorns etc. etc. but in the end one message sticks: buy our product. In the end it's all within the eye of the beholder I think, but I don't see a selling point in Pokemon's commercial. Not that I'm gonna see the commercial live, since the Dutch tv will probably put out their own commercials during the Super Bowl.. Lol.

I don't see anyone wanting the pokemon series to stop. Pokemon games, anime and stuff would go on regardless of what some may think. Kanto would return eventually but for now Kalos is the main focus.
I suppose it's because you haven't been to almost ever corner of the web like I have because people make this statement a lot. That's why the term " Genwunners" even became a thing and I could go on about what others have said about the anime . I wasn't really hoping this would happen Kanto but rather a new gen if they decide to tackle this idea.

That's ANOTHER thing, don't even get me started on the fact that they didn't even WAIT for the Super Bowl to post the commercial. I'm not watching the superbowl for 30 seconds of a commercial I've already seen. I'm tuning in for half time and that's it.

the only person that resurfaces that isn't a protagonist/'good guy,' is Xerosic. i'll give you that it's probably the closest thing to an open ending we'll get from Game Freak, but i'd heavily wager that despite its openness, they heavily push that Lysandre was buried in the rubble and died. i don't really see any other possible explanation for why Team Flare would so suddenly collapse.

Giovanni's alive though......

Say that to the countless people that say Giovanni throwing himself off of a short waterfall that he could swim away from means he's dead. (I personally believe he's alive, but people say that his appearance in B2W2 is non-canon, so IDEK)

And I will continue to argue Lysandre being alive until a new game says something different. You were less than three feet away from him. If you survived, so did he.

Also, Giovanni was alive at the time FR/LG, TR collapsed 'cause he went into hiding (apparently in Tohjo Falls) from the law. Same applies to Ghetsis (never mentioned where he hid after either takeover) and Cyrus (Distortion World). Archie and Maxie just plain don't get charged for their crimes, deciding to turn over a new leaf and help better the world after what they've done. Why couldn't Lysandre have just faked his death and escaped on his Gyarados that can magically fly in multiple canons?

Yes, I completely understand. But what I'm more referring to is: what are they actually selling us? A lot of companies play with people's feelings in commercials to increase sales (of course), but most companies, in the end, sell there product. Coca-Cola is a good example, they could've made an ad, just like this one: happy family, rainbows and unicorns etc. etc. but in the end one message sticks: buy our product. In the end it's all within the eye of the beholder I think, but I don't see a selling point in Pokemon's commercial. Not that I'm gonna see the commercial live, since the Dutch tv will probably put out their own commercials during the Super Bowl.. Lol.
It's basically reintroducing the mainstream audience to Pokémon almost in the same way that a person does when they meet a friend that they lost contact with years ago. I know that it might sound preposterous but there are people don't know that Pokémon is still around so something simple that slowly eases people in to the flock is a lot better marketing wise for Nintendo.

I thought the Super Bowl ad was...Kinda nice...? I mean, there's clearly a-lot of effort and love put into it. But it just didn't feel like "20 Years of Pokemon!". I dunno.

Good for brand awareness, though.

because the other teams are all that competent? they all get bested by a pre-teen/teen.

Pffft. Cyrus lost to divine intervention.

Last edited:
I think it's a subtle way to basically confirm that Pokémon is still around and going strong. It was used to more or less peak interest in those lost souls that left decades ago and as a guy who comes from a huge football family I can say stuff like this can have a huge impact on the more casual crowd. With something like Pokémon you have to ease people in and not overwhelm them or they'll feel discouraged about jumping back in after being eons away from the franchise.
A bit too subtle, imo. You spent five million dollars, don't be subtle, be grand! And advertise something, at the end.

Last edited:
Kanto revisit this year, with Kanto being greatly expanded.

Why a Kanto revisit, if they are already Kanto VC releases? Wouldn't it be more clever, if they wat until the 25th anniversaty for that?

If Gen VII comes in early 2018, it would be a little over four years.

The only problem is that they don't release a new gen at the beginning of a year; but only on fall for better sales and that's important for the first games of a new generation.

Honestly.....

I want Gamefreak to have their sh** together when the NX is out. If that means they gotta extend gen 6 until 2017, do it. We have gone too far with waiting for pokemon games to arrive on the next generation hardware (DS was '04, D&P were '06/7; 3DS was '11, X&Y were '13)

That said...maybe I'll be surprised. Maybe the dev kits for NX have been out for a while now and GameFreak has significant steps already through the door for a close to console launch generation launch for the alleged '16 end of year release.

And they wanted it so. Pokemon sales of a new set of a new generation generate far more than 10 million every time and on the most handhelds except the DS, the pokemon games are always Nr.1 on the games, who sold the most. First they need to let the people buy the handheld and after that they release them. Mario is still more popular and they probably want to release a new mario game by the release of the NX.

RGBY Kanto and it's remakes have a lacking story, but I am talking about sequels. A brand new Kanto based storyline with new protagonists, nothing to do with Gen I story.

Yeah they should redesign Kanto from the beginning and enhance the region. Like an actual volcano on cinnabar island, which you can climb on.

s it better for the "head dude" to blast a weapon at his own headquarters?

Or flooding it's own headquarter like Archie or destroying not only it's own headquarter and other Galactic building , but also the whole gang like Cyrus.

Cyrus has a much more grim fate in the anime. Enters a dimension that was likely destroyed.

This isn't even the most dumb thing. Entering a new dimension without any oxygen stock is more stupid.

Looks good. I would've liked it more if a detective with a Pikachu was the main character, instead of the Pikachu itself being the detective, but oh well. Pretty cool game either way. Is it gonna be Japan exclusive?

Also the more spin-offs they release, the more I start to doubt if we are getting Z. I mean, so many sidegames...

Next week, actually. The awesome visuals make up for how long it's taken to get this announced.

I hope that it offers around 10 hours of content, which is decent length for an adventure game.

Meta Boss said:
Is it gonna be Japan exclusive?
Why would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom