• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Super Bowl commercial, I actually like how subtle it is. It's obviously not aimed towards Pokemon fans but towards the general public, that has either stopped playing or never played the games. If they made it too obvious it's about Pokemon from the beginning these people would most likely not care. The fact that they kept what it's about vague until the end coupled with the upbeat music and motivational theme makes it more likely to get people not interested in Pokemon to watch it until the end. It's a pretty smart strategy in my opinion.

About the Super Bowl commercial, I actually like how subtle it is. It's obviously not aimed towards Pokemon fans but towards the general public, that has either stopped playing or never played the games. If they made it too obvious it's about Pokemon from the beginning these people would most likely not care. The fact that they kept what it's about vague until the end coupled with the upbeat music and the motivational theme makes it more likely to get people not interested in Pokemon to watch it until the end. It's a pretty smart strategy in my opinion.

Ok I understand that, but peeking their interest in what exactly?

You've paid out 5 million, calibrated the ad in a way to appeal to these ex fans you hope will return.

Ok you've got them interested again, now what?
What is it you're selling them?

I'm down for Detective Pikachu. If its elisodic, even better. If the story is good, and the gameplay is akin to the investigations of the Ace Attorney games, even better. Ideally, the idea is to release it episodic uptill the summer, and have a retail package, which would be the localization's main release.

@Zeb I agree with you (let's wait a moment for that to sink in shall we, let's enjoy this rare moment ;) )

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

(are you trying to give me a heart attack!)

it still doesn't make sense why a TCG release in March would focus on Mega Alakazam of all creatures, and relegate Zygarde to a minor role after all the exposure it gets. Even without Z, to put Mega Alakazam on the front instead of Zygarde is just bizarre either way.

I wouldn't focus on Mega Alakazam being chosen, you could replace it with any Mega that hasn't had a TCG debut yet (still quite a few left). A lot of the TCG sets this generation have either had a Mega or legendary as the focus. Phantom Gate for example had Mega Gengar as its focus.

The difference is that the big legendaries usually carry the main focus whenever they are relevant marketing-wise (so Xerneas/Yveltal for XY, Primals for ORAS etc) and included in the set. Whereas Zygarde here is seemingly being relegated to a Mega Alakazam set which is strange when you consider its arguably more relevant currently and deserves to have its own set, especially if its going to be starring on a game.

It's not any sort of solid fact but combined with other stuff it makes me question their intentions with Zygarde.

Anniversaries never stopped them before. The 10th and 15th anniversaries were just business as usual as far as main game releases are concerned.

I said this last year when someone said they wouldn't do anything for the anniversary because they didn't for the 10th and 15th: a 20th anniversary is much bigger. Not many franchises can say they've been going as long as Pokemon AND have the absolutely massive pull and weight it has.

And saying they did nothing different back then - well they clearly are making a fuss over the 20th given the last few weeks of hype from them. So why can't we speculate they could be doing something different for the main games too?

Even the bare minimum requires a lot of investment. First they have to design the Pokemon and its lore. Which likely takes weeks, maybe even months of work from artists and writers to come up with the concept for the Pokemon. Then the anime needs to write its own storyline. Then they have to pay for the merchandising and advertising. Altogether, they're probably paying millions for this "bare minimum" promotion, and for what? Just to hold people off for a few months? Don't be ridiculous, this has to amount to something.

It's the bare minimum in terms of advertising, hype, focus compared to all previous game mascots. With the way things are going Volcanion is going to end up getting more attention with how much they fuss over event Pokemon. It's almost like they want to get Zygarde out of the way and not overhype it in some regards. At least in my opinion.

About the Super Bowl commercial, I actually like how subtle it is. It's obviously not aimed towards Pokemon fans but towards the general public, that has either stopped playing or never played the games. If they made it too obvious it's about Pokemon from the beginning these people would most likely not care. The fact that they kept what it's about vague until the end coupled with the upbeat music and the motivational theme makes it more likely to get people not interested in Pokemon to watch it until the end. It's a pretty smart strategy in my opinion.

It really goes for the sports fans hard with all its competitive/training/exercise/sport associations. Which makes sense with when it is going to air. It's more akin to brand advertising like companies do, rather than meant to advertise a specific product. I think it works fine and still don't get all the complaints about it. I just want a Pokemon chess set really

I said this last year when someone said they wouldn't do anything for the anniversary because they didn't for the 10th and 15th: a 20th anniversary is much bigger. Not many franchises can say they've been going as long as Pokemon AND have the absolutely massive pull and weight it has.

And saying they did nothing different back then - well they clearly are making a fuss over the 20th given the last few weeks of hype from them. So why can't we speculate they could be doing something different for the main games too?

They made a big fuss over the 10th anniversary and went nowhere with it in the main games, so it's not different yet.

This. All of this, a hundred times. This on a t-shirt. This on a sticky at the top of this thread. SO MUCH THIS.

What a childish, rude thing to post. Such a pity that when we're discussing each other's opinions like civil mature adults and leaving personal remarks out of it, there's always someone who feels the need to lower the tone with petty little insults.

I feel like I've said this a lot lately, but it bears repeating. Expressing an opinion less than 100% positive about a choice Gamefreak, TPC or Nintendo have made does not make you any less of a fan. It does not make you 'entitled'. It does not make you 'whiny'. It does not mean you should 'shut up'. It does not mean you should just 'be grateful'. Pokemon, as much as we love it, is a BUSINESS. It is not a charity. We are paying Gamefreak and TPC and as customers we have the right to have an opinion, and voice that opinion, about the franchise we are supporting. Do not ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Being critical of something only means you appreciate it all the better and can view it from a place of objectivity, rather than being a blind fanboy/girl who gets crapped on by a company and simply says 'more please, senpai'.
As if TPCI cares what some people on Internet forums say about it. You can complain all you want, in this case, it doesn't change a thing. Plus, you're all going to end up buying whatever the next game is anyway making this whole 'grr i'm mad at them for not giving me a game' essentially pointless.

This is not being critical, this is being silly and impatient.

They made a big fuss over the 10th anniversary and went nowhere with it in the main games, so it's not different yet.

Well let's just wait and see then. I hope whatever we end up receiving doesn't disappoint you anyway. (y)

Ok I understand that, but peeking their interest in what exactly?

You've paid out 5 million, calibrated the ad in a way to appeal to these ex fans you hope will return.

Ok you've got them interested again, now what?
What is it you're selling them?

It's brand advertising. More of a way to remind old players that Pokemon is going strong and pique the interest of new players rather than an attempt to sell a specific game.

It really goes for the sports fans hard with all its competitive/training/exercise/sport associations. Which makes sense with when it is going to air. It's more akin to brand advertising like companies do, rather than meant to advertise a specific product. I think it works fine and still don't get all the complaints about it. I just want a Pokemon chess set really

Not to mention that parents will definitely like the motivational message. Parents associating Pokemon with positive themes will make it more likely for them to buy the games for their kids.

Magenton's inclusion still boggles me. I love the thing (don't care for Magnezone tho sadly) so having it in commercial alongside stars like Charizard, Lucario, Gyarados and Pikachu is amazing.

A couple of things worth pointing out for the sake of sanity:

1. We truly still don't know a whole lot about Zygarde's close connections to Xerneas and Yveltal. The only indisputable thing that we know is that Complete Forme surpasses both of them in power. Other than that, we still don't know a whole lot about it.

2. Even more interesting is that we still have not seen official Sugimori art for Zygarde's other Formes. But yet, we got Volcanion's, which was officially revealed only just last month... and yet, we've known about Zygarde's Formes for 3,000 years almost 6 months. Why is this so?

Ok guys, a few parallels:

1. When were XY's box mascots, and ORAS box mascots revealed? How long before the respective game was out?

2. How were all of them treated in side games? Lets compare with Zygarde's formes?

Last edited:
A couple of things worth pointing out for the sake of sanity:

1. We truly still don't know a whole lot about Zygarde's close connections to Xerneas and Yveltal. The only indisputable thing that we know is that Complete Forme surpasses both of them in power. Other than that, we still don't know a whole lot about it.

2. Even more interesting is that we still have not seen official Sugimori art for Zygarde's other Formes. But yet, we got Volcanion's, which was officially revealed only just last month... and yet, we've known about Zygarde's Formes for 3,000 years almost 6 months. Why is this so?

I'd expand on this further and say there is still so much we don't know about Zygarde. Like why the Core colours are present in the 10% and 100% forms but absent in the 50% form. How many Cores are there exactly? We've got 2, but evidence exists for possibly 4 or 5. How do Zygarde's hidden moves link in? How exactly does Zygarde reach perfect form? Why can Z2 seemingly skip 10% form, and reach 50% without drawing the cells in nearby. What exactly does Team Flare want Zygarde for?

Ok guys, a few parallels:

1. When were XY's box mascots, and ORAS box mascots revealed? How long before the respective game was out?

2. How were all of them treated in side games? Lets comare with Zygarde's formes?

1. Xerneas and Yveltal were in the initial announcement traier of XY. Same with Primal Groudon and Kyogre for ORAS, but only in their boxarts (rather than CGI like the former two in XY's reveal). Now I'm getting nostalgic about sitting down to watch the Pokemon Direct and how excited I was :eek:. XY was revealed nine months before its release and ORAS six months.

2. Can't recall exactly but I think none of them showed up in other games until after their main series releases were out. I definitely don't remember Xerneas and Yveltal appearing in another game before XY.

Like why the Core colours are present in the 10% and 100% forms but absent in the 50% form.

Likely explanation is because the other forms were designed sometime after Zygarde 50% was finalised and included in XY.

To answer my own question, it was brought to my attention that the reveal of Sugimori art often goes hand-in-hand with the reveal/release of the main series games. It's also usually the first artwork that is made when the 'mons are being designed(Sugimori is the head designer I believe). Which means that Sugimori art for the Zygarde Formes do actually exist... they just haven't been released to the public yet, so to speak. They had to have created the Sugimori art BEFORE the anime artwork, right? Which means they've been holding back the Sugimori art for Zygarde Formes for whatever reason, probably because they're not ready to reveal the next main series game.

My personal opinion? The terrorist attacks in Paris last year. I think that they had something planned for Lumoise during the climax of the story, and maybe had to go back and make adjustments after the attacks had happened? I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but it was something that had crossed my mind a while ago...

I agree with those saying the Superbowl ad was great for building hype about Pokemon for the general public...but it just didn't feel like an ad. It was more like 'Yay Pokemon!' which is great, sure, but for 5 millions bucks you'd think they'd have tried to sell us something. I never expected a main game announcement, but as the ad built up pace I thought 'ah I see, they're going to tell us Pokemon Go's release date'...and then the ad just ended. Bit puzzling, honestly.

My personal opinion? The terrorist attacks in Paris last year. I think that they had something planned for Lumoise during the climax of the story, and maybe had to go back and make adjustments after the attacks had happened? I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but it was something that had crossed my mind a while ago...

That's a reasonable theory. Pokemon has always censored itself very carefully around such real-world occurrences so as not to cause offence.

We know more than that. Don't just think in terms of lore, they're not going to tell us all of the lore until the game comes out anyway because then we'd have no reason to play through it ourselves. Anyway, we know first of all, that Zygarde fits Xerneas and Yveltal's name and color scheme. We know that it guards the Kalos region's ecosystem and reveals its secret power when it's in danger, which could easily fit into Xerneas/Yveltal's life/death theme. We know that it has an ability that counters Xerneas and Yveltal's in its 50% form. It also has two hidden moves that are presumably used to counter Xerneas/Yveltal. So that's actually a lot, pretty much as much as we can expect in the absence of confirmation.

1. Xerneas and Yveltal were in the initial announcement traier of XY. Same with Primal Groudon and Kyogre for ORAS, but only in their boxarts (rather than CGI like the former two in XY's reveal). Now I'm getting nostalgic about sitting down to watch the Pokemon Direct and how excited I was :eek:. XY was revealed nine months before its release and ORAS six months.

2. Can't recall exactly but I think none of them showed up in other games until after their main series releases were out. I definitely don't remember Xerneas and Yveltal appearing in another game before XY.

That's how a remembered it. So, quite different to how they are handling Zygarde, right?

I definitely agree with @AgentRosa that the attacks in Paris could have something to do with it. Lumiose city is shown pretty clearly in the XYZ opening, with Bonnie and co running towards it, even though as far as we know atm, they are quite far from Lumiose with no reason to imminently return.

And Team Flare are kinda terroristy, what with the ultimate weapon and all blowing up huge parts of Poke France.

Volcanion going around and destroying things hating humans could also be seen as quite triggering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom