• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one forces you to have a snack, but if it's under your nose, you will probably end up having it.

I'd like to redirect this argument to everybody who says the Exp Share is optional.

As for Detective Pikachu, I'm interested to see how this plays out. I'm not normally one for side series games but this looks really interesting. I'm hoping they'll announce a localisation of it before too long.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that companies should white-wash all forms of media due to the perceived notion that it harms the victims recovery. Total BS TBH. I feel like we shouldn't ignore the past and act like these horrible events never happened. I also don't think they delayed an entire game just because of the Paris attacks.

It would be stupid to delay the games because of the Paris attacks. Just because something in the real world happened, doesn't mean you can't release a game based on such area. You choose what to base the region off of. You have to learn to commit to your decision and not pander for the sake of political drama. Pokemon is not politics, it is a game, and for those that argue against it are taking it way too seriously and need a serious chill pill. I'll never let it down when GF didn't go through with the Rocket VS Plasma arc because of a natural disaster. Am I a horrible person for thinking they should have gone through with the city destruction plot? No! Its a FICTIONAL universe, so again if people wanna put their emotions into the games that's their problem.

Another spin-off game? Seriously, haven't we got enough already? I'll be ticked off if Zygarde's forms were anime and spin-off only. Kalos should have one last game since they started the region. Eternal Floette would likely be event unless it becomes not available for gen 6. Volcanion is certain to be allowed to download in ORAS and/or XY.

I think it's important to note, everything seems to be clustering around the months of Feb and March

Detective Pikachu Game in Japan February 3rd
PMSD release in Australia and Europe, February 19th/20th
Pokemon RBY VC releases worldwide February 27th
Pokken Tournament worldwide March 18th

That's all looking pretty bunched up there. BUT the key thing is, after March 18th, there is nothing. Possibly Pokemon Go, that is it so far, apart from that, there's nothing else currently revealed to be released for the year, and obviously that's not gonna stay like that.

If there was nothing big coming they could spread these out a bit more, but instead they are bunching them altogether really early on, and I think we can guess why ;)

I'd like to redirect this argument to everybody who says the Exp Share is optional.

I have to disagree. If you know that the Exp. Share is broke as hell and going to suck all the fun out of your playthrough, why on Earth would you use "cave in" and use it? The only answer I can come up with is sheer laziness, but even then, all it takes is at most a few buttons to switch it off. Although, I suppose not bothering to press said buttons only epitomizes that laziness...

I mean for me, I switch it off as soon as I get it and then simply go along on my way and forget it's even there. It's not even really about self-control. I just know that if I use it, it will negatively impact my experience.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that companies should white-wash all forms of media due to the perceived notion that it harms the victims recovery. Total BS TBH. I feel like we shouldn't ignore the past and act like these horrible events never happened. I also don't think they delayed an entire game just because of the Paris attacks.

It's never that they're trying to "pretend it didn't happen," they just don't want to risk offending any of the victims or those affected by such events. It's being considerate. Those kinds of tragedies leave sore wounds for many people, and while it is easy to say, "But it's just fiction!" in the abstract, that is often not how the people who were affected feel.

I genuinely can't @ the deep voice coming out of a Pikachu. And the faces...*shudder* Something about them just creeps me out.

Last edited:
I think we can guess why

Because the games are complete and ready for release?

There's no point in holding complete games from the public, especially games such as Pokken & Detective Pikachu which have been in development long enough as it is. You can't even use PSMD as an argument here either, the two biggest audiences (Japan & America) already got it last year.

Lol ikr? I hope it is getting localized is it only Japan right now?

For now, yeah. It's out in Japan in Feb, next week actually. No news on an international release just yet.

I have to disagree. If you know that the Exp. Share is broke as hell and going to suck all the fun out of your playthrough, why on Earth would you use "cave in" and use it? The only answer I can come up with is sheer laziness, but even then, all it takes is at most a few buttons to switch it off. Although, I suppose not bothering to press said buttons only epitomizes that laziness...

I mean for me, I switch it off as soon as I get it and then simply go along on my way and forget it's even there. It's not even really about self-control. I just know that if I use it, it will negatively impact my experience.

Because it makes training and levelling so much easier. It's like choosing between two roads to the same destination, one rather quick and easy, and the other taking a much longer route. It's just too tempting to take the easy way, I guess. What can I say, I think I like challenges and grinding more when they're forced upon me. Maybe it's a result of me playing tougher RPGs on consoles, idk. *shrug*

It's never that they're trying to "pretend it didn't happen," they just don't want to risk offending any of the victims or those affected by such events. It's being considerate. Those kinds of tragedies leave sore wounds for many people, and while it is easy to say, "But it's just fiction!" in the abstract, that is often not how the people who were affected feel.

Which is an excuse. That's like saying there shouldn't be anymore L&O SVU episodes because it would offend victims of sexual assault. But to delay a game, book, song, or any other form of media just because it would be considerate of the victims' feelings is an excusr. Just my opinion and please no one take offense. These were terrible events that should not have ever occured, but to completely ignore them, or to alter them in any way will always be an insult.

Because the games are complete and ready for release?

No I just meant that will be the time period most likely when we will get the games, like June to August. So far it's only the first quarter of the year with stuff in, the other 3 quarters are completely empty. I think they are stuffing all this stuff in early, so that they can focus on the next instalment after the anniversary and Pokken is out of the way.

Which is an excuse. That's like saying there shouldn't be anymore L&O SVU episodes because it would offend victims of sexual assault. But to delay a game, book, song, or any other form of media just because it would be considerate of the victims' feelings is an excusr. Just my opinion and please no one take offense. These were terrible events that should not have ever occured, but to completely ignore them, or to alter them in any way will always be an insult.

Only victims of sexual assault won't watch Law and Order if sexual assault triggers them. Or even be in a fandom for it.

This isn't an excuse; this is being thoughtful and not trying to stir up crap; both for the sensitivities of the people involved and so this doesn't affect their sales negatively. No matter how you feel about this, people will take offense. So it's better to leave it alone. Let's keep in mind that others may not take kindly to that either.

Pokemon has always done this; Jynx is purple instead of black, the Tentacool and Tentacruel episode (and some others for varying or similar reasons) are banned in the u.s. due to similarities to 9/11. We're not even gonna see the Porygon line in the anime for an incident that happened years ago. Pokemon has also banned episodes where something uses earthquake because an earthquake happened in Japan. This is nothing new.
When you have a franchise that's meant to appeal to children and up, it is in your best interest to not allude to recent or particularly horrible tragedies.

Except nobody goes into an episode of SVU without knowing the kind of subject material it's going to be involving, unless they jut flat-out don't know anything about the show. But the name "Pokémon Z" doesn't exactly indicate that the game contains material that could negatively resonate with victims of the Paris attacks.

Moreover, I fail to see how it is an "excuse." Game Freak wouldn't be trying to get off the hook for anything they did - they would in fact be choosing *not* to do something in order to show consideration for the victims. Putting themselves out and delaying their profit for the sake of people who were hurt and affected. Delaying or removing potentially offensive content from a game because of a real-life tragedy is not even remotely the same thing as not meeting your deadlines and then making up an excuse.

Besides, even if they were to delay this hypothetical game, big whoop. The world wouldn't end, and there would still be a game eventually, just a little later. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with prioritizing actual, real-life victims of terrorism over a kid's video game.

No what I am saying is people saying the games were delayed or altered because of the attacks is an excuse. No company will gut and delay an entire release just because it may offend someone. I'm not making light of the situation at all, but the moment we allow terroist to alter the way we create and distribute products is the exact moment they won. It's hard to articulate how I feel.

I somehow doubt they intended for Team Flare to attack Lumiose City in a manner similar to the terrorist attacks in Paris in the first place, that's probably not the reason for the delay. It's probably just typical failing to meet deadlines and underestimating how long it would take to do what they wanted to with the games.

I somehow doubt they intended for Team Flare to attack Lumiose City in a manner similar to the terrorist attacks in Paris in the first place, that's probably not the reason for the delay. It's probably just typical failing to meet deadlines.

Yeah we're not saying they would go around shooting people in cafes and concerts, just like 9/11 didn't feature a giant tentacruel, and the Earthquake in South Korea wasn't related to Team Plasma, but the nature of it all, and the destruction, and violence especially in a city that is so clearly meant to resemble Paris, could be triggering for people.

I somehow doubt they intended for Team Flare to attack Lumiose City in a manner similar to the terrorist attacks in Paris in the first place, that's probably not the reason for the delay. It's probably just typical failing to meet deadlines and underestimating how long it would take to do what they wanted to with the games.

I don't the next installment has been delayed. I think this generation was always intending to be this long.

Yeah we're not saying they would go around shooting people in cafes and concerts, just like 9/11 didn't feature a giant tentacruel, and the Earthquake in South Korea wasn't related to Team Plasma, but the nature of it all, and the destruction, and violence especially in a city that is so clearly meant to resemble Paris, could be triggering for people.

I'm not either. I don't think anything major was supposed to happen to Lumiose in the first place, it doesn't seem like it would be that plot relevant. But who knows?

Are you suggesting that anyone who uses the EXP. Share is lazy? -_-

And while I definitely think the best course of action is to censor anything triggering in Lumiose after the Paris attacks, it's not their only option. Unova introduced Ground Zero as the Desert Resort. A location that is not only extremely important to the storyline, but also to the lore, being one of the two Unovan castles (Abyssal Ruins being its counterpart). And they could've just outright kept on going with no mention to anything whatsoever, since I doubt they had Team Flare gunning down innocent citizens, though this option seems less sensitive in my opinion. Isn't Johto based off of the part of Japan that got A-Bombed in WW2? I don't ever remember seeing a single reference to radiation (outside of Pokédex entries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom