• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed by this turn of events, but also surprised people thought the orange and purple were shading?

2)
i'm not sure how you can justify the 'purple' and orange areas being new regions when they'd simply be extensions of the coastal and mountain Kalos regions-- presuming that big mountain range south of Kalos is either a) equivalent to the forests on the Western side of Unova or b) simply a buffer area for another plains-like area, that is.
If we're to consider regions in Pokemon games are equivalents to countries, then the only real divide that's needed are political ones. Borders in real life aren't divided up by geographical regions, but by political ones.

With that said, that means that the new games aren't technically featuring "South Kalos" so much as a different region that's somehow related to Kalos, and Zygarde's story will be continued outside of it as other people have suggested.

A regional divide might also expand on AZ's war. Perhaps there was a larger region, and after AZ's war, the north was reconstituted as "Kalos" and the south is its own sovereign state?

I'm impressed by this turn of events, but also surprised people thought the orange and purple were shading?

If we're to consider regions in Pokemon games are equivalents to countries, then the only real divide that's needed are political ones. Borders in real life aren't divided up by geographical regions, but by political ones.

With that said, that means that the new games aren't technically featuring "South Kalos" so much as a different region that's somehow related to Kalos, and Zygarde's story will be continued outside of it as other people have suggested.

A regional divide might also expand on AZ's war. Perhaps there was a larger region, and after AZ's war, the north was reconstituted as "Kalos" and the south is its own sovereign state?

I was thinking something similar but to a different conclusion. That it was a sort of civil war between the north and south, but in the end the unionists won etc and so it remained united as one Kalos, but there's still a sort of North/South divide etc.

Could also be taken from the French civil war, between those loyal to the king (AZ!) and those not. There wasn;t a north south divide as far as I can remember but it could be a blend of the 2.

EDIT: My French friend just replied to me and she said she doesn't really know where the line between North and South is, but there is a sort of friendly rivalry in France between North and South.

I figured with all those merchandises, Zygarde would end up in the movie regardless on what role it'll play in. As far as new Pokemon go, that hope kinda died on me after the past "new pokemon" merchandise they've been teasing since August. (I can't bring up the pictures cuz of size issues, so I'll bring up through the sites)

Hints of a New Pokémon? - Masterball.net

Remember the time they showed the first one with all the Kanto starters and Pikachu sleeping, and on the right, a mystery silhouette was shown. Note that this was before the Zygarde forms were revealed. So with that "green blob", most people assumed it was a new pokemon since all the other colors of the circle match the respective pokemon. The mystery one couldn't have been Puni-Chan , since the circle is pinkish-purple, Puni-Chan has NEITHER of those colors.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/pokeshopper/status/628371372415262720

The second merchandise was the necklace, and the LAST one was a big plush, which said "a brand new Pokémon as a huge plush in December!"

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/629996861982658560

But it turns out that all three of them were the red Zygarde core. I was very surprised to see how it was in the first one despite it's colors not matching the circle..

So I wouldn't keep my hopes very high on a new pokemon. Anything could happen, and it might end up being a new Volcanion form

I was thinking something similar but to a different conclusion. That it was a sort of civil war between the north and south, but in the end the unionists won etc and so it remained united as one Kalos, but there's still a sort of North/South divide etc.

Could also be taken from the French civil war, between those loyal to the king (AZ!) and those not. There wasn;t a north south divide as far as I can remember but it could be a blend of the 2.

EDIT: My French friend just replied to me and she said she doesn't really know where the line between North and South is, but there is a sort of friendly rivalry in France between North and South.
I think it's interesting to mention the title king...

Idk if it was ever pointed out but Perfect/100%/Complete Zygarde looks like a royal figure with a crown...perhaps this has some relation to AZ who is the "king" of Kalos...

the only thing i think about the colors being odd to some is this...ALL of the non-sugimori art, whether it is dream world/global link or anime, is always a little more saturated and vibrant than normal, so maybe they are supposed to be shades of red and blue but when making the anime art it got really saturated and made the blue look purplish and red look orangish???

I love your theory, I'm just saying that the art that isn't sugimori is always really odd to me...
Well the figure makes the separation pretty apparent as well. I think its intended.

am_B01794GJH2_5.jpg

The lack of Sugimori/GL art is suspicious to me too.

@Lufenian
I think it's to do with language, Perfect is the literal translation, but complete is the official name in English, why the difference, well if there are 2 forms, probably because of the reason you mentioned in English perfect suggests only one.

That would make sense, especially given translation issues. But Complete suggests there's only one as well. Certainly not quite as much, but the implication is there.

It'd be interesting if they actually implemented something like this into Kalos' history.

So I wouldn't keep my hopes very high on a new pokemon. Anything could happen, and it might end up being a new Volcanion form

What if it was a Zygarde and Volcanion fusion? Though, honestly, I'm not sure how that'd work, but more fusions besides Black and White Kyurem would be nice imo. It'd be giving Zygarde and Volcanion another forme.

At least we're getting closer and closer to the next CoroCoro.

I think it's interesting to mention the title king...

Idk if it was ever pointed out but Perfect/100%/Complete Zygarde looks like a royal figure with a crown...perhaps this has some relation to AZ who is the "king" of Kalos...

Also Puni-chan uses the "royal we" in the anime, at least if the subs are accurate.

moonlitsaki.com/2016/01/kotobukiya-teases-wonder-festival-2016-winter-exhibition-items-sakura-taisen-shinguji-sakura-more.html
The page features a teaser for a new Red Figurine, which is and I quote:
Kotobukiya produces collectables, and the original source says this is the "beginning of Pocket Monsters series figures, with a modern revival of the legendary trainer Red"

What gets to me though, why would Sugimori create more art of red just for a figurine? Why is there a sudden influx of Red being drawn in the modern style. Its definitely not the art used in the Famitsu article, with the pokeball 20. The reason I'm posting this is cause what little we have from the art, Red's Pose looks to me EXACTLY the type we get for the protags. Could be nothing, but classic red trainer art raises my eyebrows.
Edit: Also, do we interpret "Modern Revival" as a redrawning of the old characters and reintroducing them with new art, or Modern Revival as in the characters being drawn with the old clothing and such but in the current series? Too many questions I have now.
Edit: I have decided that I finally lodt it, and I'm seing things. Finally accepting my insanity, I am convinced this new new red art is for use in the games, or otherwise. Lets look over the why.

We alreadu have commerative red, in the modern artstyle, for comparison's sake. And lets post the art teaser as well. The differences in the pudding will be my case.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RSnYMWSFaFE/maxresdefault.jpg
i0.wp.com/moonlitsaki.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/koto_pokemonredteaser.jpg?resize=768%2C768
-Brown Hair, akin to FRLG Red. Commerative Red, the one with Pikachu, has Black Hair. Also, the hair spikes are either gone or in a higher position.
- The coat pockets are different, with a button and some lining.
-A much stiffer and taller collar.
-Commerative Red is happy, Teaser Red has a Frown. Also different face style, he has a taller jaw and the nose is sharper.
-Small change. It seems the collar goes up to the ears, which are not as detailed as the commemorative art. The hair spikes are in place then, as I thought. Still though, FRLG brown instead of the classic black is a big change.
Its minute, but the differences are there. My question is why have different styles for a commeration of the character, celebrating the same thing? Why not keep it consistent? That is why its bothering me. I think its honestly because they need something more stylized for a game, simple as that. We'll know in a week of course, when the figure details come out. And that there is where I think we'll know what this is for, when we see the whole thing. But for now, I see no reason to go for a middle ground between classic and remake red, when we have a perfectly viable Commerative Red design. Like I said, I've gone batshit insane apparently, but I know I'm right. This Red art is gonna lead to major game news, I feel it. I just can't see them doing an artbook and decide to create new trainer art instead of restoring the old.

Last edited:
You are looking too much into it.

It's the 20th anniversary, they're going to cash in on it as much as they can and release a ton of gen 1-related merchandise. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Last edited:
Is Sugimori art ever used for anything outside the games? I don't recall it ever being. And it's definitely his work.

Shame there doesn't seem to be a full version on the site.

At this point I'm just going to go with the flow and not really support anything. Whatever we end up getting as the game I'm just going to let it be. All this backwards and forwards has started to boil my brain. As long as we get some new Megas to shake up the metagame I'll be happy with whatever we get (within reason :p).

You are looking too much into it.

It's the 20th anniversary, they're going to cash in on it as much as they can and release a ton of gen 1-related merchandise. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Another red redesign, but closer to the original isn't exactly cash in territory.

Is Sugimori art ever used for anything outside the games? I don't recall it ever being. And it's definitely his work.

Shame there doesn't seem to be a full version on the site.

At this point I'm just going to go with the flow and not really support anything. Whatever we end up getting as the game I'm just going to let it be. All this backwards and forwards has started to boil my brain. As long as we get some new Megas to shake up the metagame I'll be happy with whatever we get (within reason :p).
The showfloor apparently opens next Sunday, so we should have the figurine leak by then. And yeah, Suigmori art for non game stuff is unusual. I don't buy the arguement that its just new stuff for the artbook.

Wait, I understand releasing artwork of Red in his Gen. 1 design... but does this mean we'll finally get formal artwork of Leaf in her Gen. 1 design? Or will she be totally ignored like always?

I really don't want to beat the wardrums, but when looking into this more, its looking odder. The only products on the actual manufacturer's site that use photos that aren't the actual models are stuff unreleased or otherwise. The reference material for read is absolutely new, and its deliberately hidden. The question is, where did it originate from? And why use new material and collaborate for a Red Figurine and not use the original art for it? So far, everyrhing related to the anniversary is directly from the gen 1 source material, so why use something new? I know I'm not overthinking it.

I really don't want to beat the wardrums, but when looking into this more, its looking odder. The only products on the actual manufacturer's site that use photos that aren't the actual models are stuff unreleased or otherwise. The reference material for read is absolutely new, and its deliberately hidden. The question is, where did it originate from? And why use new material and collaborate for a Red Figurine and not use the original art for it? So far, everyrhing related to the anniversary is directly from the gen 1 source material, so why use something new? I know I'm not overthinking it.
Redesigns are nothing new. And gen I, well, because it's when it all started.

When remakes are coming, or a modern visualization for the actual celebration specifically doesn't actually exist. We already have Gen 1 Red with Gen 6 artstyle, why design something that is more stylized and altered just for a figurine when it had enough reference material? I just don't buy it.

But you don't really see remakes happening this year, do you? I am not sure what you're getting at, especially as Red doesn't look older.

I'm not really sure on the outcome, remakes are pointless yes. And it confuses me, as we had yet another redesign, that of FRLG Red, for Pokemon Origins, which I do consider the official retelling of gen 1 for now. But the art is signature Sugimori, not some mimicry for the figurine. The source for the material should be from the main series, its the logical conclusion. I know its flimsy, but its all I got. I don't have a clue how Gen 1 Red could work for anything but remakes, but my gut tells me this is significant, and that whatever this comes from will be detailed or announced soon. And the devil is in the details, we have the only recognizable part, for all we know he could have a mega bracelet or a drastic change in the rest of the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom