• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to assume that he has FRLG Red's face and RGBY Red's clothes. I'm glad they're doing this, because Red's Shauna-like face in the New Year's card is terrible.

If anything new involves the Generation I era this year, it should be an Origins sequel anime with an original plot continuing Red's story right after he caught Mewtwo.

Last edited:
A Kanto game (not remake) for the Anniversary is the most logical next game. All the Zygarde stuff could be just to confuse us. I doubt it but it would be great.

What if its a Crisis on Two Earth's deal? Origins Sequel game that involves Hoopa summoming Gen 1 Red. Could be fun for the potential storyline.

Edit: Or it can take cues from DQ11 and have a classic and 3D mode. Kanto sequels set in the future, but you can switch between modern and classic, and either play the game like the gen 6 ones or play it like gen 1.

Last edited:
Game Freak, and TPC as a whole have been playing with our nostalgia and relying on it in a very smart way. They have been doing it since the beginning (having Kanto in gen II, FRLG in Gen III...), but they are relying on nostalgia now more than ever before:

- XY copying Viridian Forest, Snorlax blocking a path, Legendary Birds, Mewtwo in a Cave, Kanto Mega Starters, etc.

- ORAS: using the original Gen III sprites for the Dex Nav list, the beginning of the game using the original graphics, etc

Bringing Kanto to the 3D era this year would be the logical next game, and sell like hot bread.

People say after the VC releases it would be redundant, but I think people will be so tired of the VC graphics, they will just want to experience the same region on the current engine. It would be the perfect teaser for another visit, this time up to date.

Last edited:
People say after the VC releases it would be redundant, but I think people will be so tired of the VC graphics, they will just want to experience the same region on the current engine. It would be the perfect teaser for another visit, this time up to date.
I think that the VC games could definitely lead to sequels down the road, but not this year. I don't find it a good idea to focus on a single region throughout the year that is supposed to commemorate the series as a whole.

I think that the VC games could definitely lead to sequels down the road, but not this year. I don't find it a good idea to focus on a single region throughout the year that is supposed to commemorate the series as a whole.
But what about the merchandising? They have focus on Kanto and Kanto Pokemon during the whole Anniversary period. Also for advertising Pokemon Go. If they didn't think it's redundant until now...

Anyway, I agree a Kanto revisit is not likely to be this year's main series release, but I am saying it would be logical.

Last edited:
PD I hear a lot of people here saying an other Kanto game would be redundant, but what about the constant Kanto pandering in merchandise, Pokemon Go, etc.
Kanto ''pandering'' is different from a Kanto game. Kalos may have a few similiarities with Kanto, but the region/game as a whole isn't Kanto. Plus, if people want to see Kanto in ''refined'' graphics theycan still go play hgss if they want to see it.

Kanto ''pandering'' is different from a Kanto game. Kalos may have a few similiarities with Kanto, but the region/game as a whole isn't Kanto. Plus, if people want to see Kanto in ''refined'' graphics theycan still go play hgss if they want to see it.
I meant Gen VI engine.

I meant Gen VI engine.
Yeah, but graphics aren't everything about a game. If people are willing to buy the vc releases of r/b/y knowing their s***ty graphics, I'm sure they can survive not having a 3d Kanto.

Yeah, but graphics aren't everything about a game. If people are willing to buy the vc releases of r/b/y knowing their s***ty graphics, I'm sure they can survive not having a 3d Kanto.
I think VC releases will make them want a 3D Mega Kanto even more.
It's not only graphics, also the mechanics. Mega Evolutions, etc.

Last edited:
I think VC releases will make them want a 3D Mega Kanto even more.
It's not only graphics, also the mechanics.
I respect your opinion but it would be pointless to make a kanto game for gen 6 if we already have the vc releases.
Yeah the mechanics/graphics are outdated, but what can we do about it?
People are still willing to re-buy the games even with their outdated mechanics.

Nah, VC Kanto is enough, Mega Kanto in the same year would burn so many people out. Sequels yes, but I forsee that for the 25th, or as part of the GS 20 Years celebration, to celebrate that era as a whole. And even then the 25th could do that, as 2001 was still a gen 2 year, so even in 2012 celebrating GSC could happen as well.
But yeah, Kanto this year again, I feel funny about it. But we'll see, maybe it can.

I respect your opinion but it would be pointless to make a kanto game for gen 6 if we already have the vc releases.
People are still willing to re-buy the games even with their outdated mechanics.

I think you're kind of missing the point. If it's a Kanto sequel, with a gen 6 engine, mechanics, full compliment of all 6 gens worth of Pokemon, a new storyline, potentially new gym leaders and areas and god knows what else, it's not the same game anymore, is it? Saying no-one would buy it because of the VC releases is like saying no-one would buy Black and then Black 2 because they're both 'Unova' games.

Not saying Kanto sequels are coming, or even very likely, but it would definitely be profitable, and GF must know that.

I think you're kind of missing the point. If it's a Kanto sequel, with a gen 6 engine, mechanics, full compliment of all 6 gens worth of Pokemon, a new storyline, potentially new gym leaders and areas and god knows what else, it's not the same game anymore, is it? Saying no-one would buy it because of the VC releases is like saying no-one would buy Black and then Black 2 because they're both 'Unova' games.

Not saying Kanto sequels are coming, or even very likely, but it would definitely be profitable, and GF must know that.
I don't see the point of kanto ''sequels'' tbh. I mean, gsc/hgss are canonically said to take place 3 years after rby/frlg, with the same villain team, new pokemon, new gym leaders, new areas(in the form of johto) and a backtrip to kanto.

I think after the vc releases, the serie should move on from having kanto games permanently. But that's just me.

But you don't really see remakes happening this year, do you?

It wouldn't be the craziest theory spread on this thread :p

I've seen this a lot, not just from you, but from a lot of posters, and admittedly we are only 1 month in, but so far the anniversary does seem to be focusing solely on Gen 1, you may want a complete celebration of all 6 gens, but so far it's not turning out that way.

I think the point being made is that this behaviour is very suspicious. I personally thought the VC releases killed off any chance of a Kanto game. But lately, Game Freak, and TPC have been making moves that would hint towards one, as mentioned Sugimori artwork is only for games. Why are they giving Red brand new artwork? I'm not saying its a new Kanto game, but it's still strange don't you think?

Maybe Red would be in Kanto, not as a playable character, but maybe this "crisis" that Olympia predicted is actually something from the next game, such a big crisis that they call in the great Pokemon trainers from around the world?

I don't see the point of kanto ''sequels'' tbh. I mean, gsc/hgss are canonically said to take place 3 years after rby/frlg, with the same villain team, new pokemon, and a backtrip to kanto.

I think after the vc releases, the serie should move on from having kanto games permanently. But that's just me.

People never see the point of sequels/remakes/3rd instalments, and yet they still keep coming. Honestly I think some people want each Gen to just be the initial pair and move on a year or two later to the next gen.

Just again to highlight, I don't think it will be a Kanto game, but it's definitely strange.
Could Red be in Pokemon Go?

Why are they giving Red brand new artwork? I'm not saying its a new Kanto game, but it's still strange don't you think?
I don't think so. Red is the original protagonist, so it's natural for them to give him a new artwork to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

Last edited:
I was thinking, regarding Zygarde's colors, if the red, white, and blue represent the French flag, what could the purple and orange represent? Then it hit me, the traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple, gold, and green. The gold is usually depicted as yellow in non-metallic Mardi Gras decorations, but it's not inconceivable that they could be using the orange to represent gold. Zygarde provides the green. That color combination does originate from the New Orleans version of the festival, not from France itself, though one of the biggest Carnival celebrations is in Nice, in the south of France. Does Southern Kalos love to laissez les bon temps rouler? Dunno how likely this is, it's just something I thought up on the toilet earlier.

I do totally understand and respect those bored of Kanto - even though I wouldn't mind another spin in the region, as long as a) it's allowed to stand alone and not pale in another region's shadow, and b) as long as it's a VERY drastic and interesting update of what we've had so far.

But if sequels would sell well, and if enough fans demand them, Gamefreak are probably gonna do it at some point, whether this year or in another 10.

Last edited:

This is precisely what I meant! Thanks for explaining it better than I did xD

Last edited:
I've seen this a lot, not just from you, but from a lot of posters, and admittedly we are only 1 month in, but so far the anniversary does seem to be focusing solely on Gen 1, you may want a complete celebration of all 6 gens, but so far it's not turning out that way.
The mythical distributions represent the first five generations, and the 20th anniversary website doesn't focus on just Generation I at all. Granted, that promotion isn't happening in Japan, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom