• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the point of kanto ''sequels'' tbh. I mean, gsc/hgss are canonically said to take place 3 years after rby/frlg, with the same villain team, new pokemon, new gym leaders, new areas(in the form of johto) and a backtrip to kanto.

I think after the vc releases, the serie should move on from having kanto games permanently. But that's just me.

The problem with GSC is that it didn't really improve on Kanto. In fact, it did more harm than good and made Kanto feel even more bare while tacking on another shallow region. Kanto had a lot of problems back in the day, and since the series has improved, those problems have become magnified and so the experience feels dated, the dex and type variety is shallow, the region and area design is incredibly simplistic, and the story is bare bones. And then there's also the desire to go through Kanto with more recent developments like 3D graphics, Mega Evolution, Fairy type, etc. So the point is to have a BW2 style game that improves upon the experience and truly modernizes it in ways that GSC, FRLG, and HGSS did not and another straight remake cannot.

That's why I said Kanto/Johto sequels for the 25th would make more sense. And hell, by 2021 we'd probably be in gen 8, and the games actually would be 20 years after gen 1. But yeah, actually expanding on Kanto and Johto and giving us a dual region game that actuall workd would be nice.

That's why I said Kanto/Johto sequels for the 25th would make more sense. And hell, by 2021 we'd probably be in gen 8, and the games actually would be 20 years after gen 1. But yeah, actually expanding on Kanto and Johto and giving us a dual region game that actuall workd would be nice.

GSCHGSS being dual region is exactly the problem, they can't really fix Kanto and Johto's problems if they have to cram them into one game, they need separate games to flesh themselves out.

Because of their symbiotic relationship, I really have trouble with a post Gen 2 game splitting them apart. I know this sounds crazy, but I would love to seem them restructure the two regions to become one. By tidays route structuring, Kanto could easily be cut down to 14 routes, and I bet some Johto routes can also be combined. 20 or so cities and towns with 8 gyms sounds crazy I know, but it would be an amazingly paced game, with lots of breathing room between gyms. Instead of creating new places, expansion and focus on the old stuff, while giving new purpose to the old gym cities would be fun to see as well.

Reactions: !Z!
The problem with GSC is that it didn't really improve on Kanto. In fact, it did more harm than good and made Kanto feel even more bare....And then there's also the desire to go through Kanto with more recent developments like 3D graphics, Mega Evolution, Fairy type, etc. So the point is to have a BW2 style game that improves upon the experience and truly modernizes it in ways that GSC, FRLG, and HGSS did not and another straight remake cannot.

Bingo, that's how I feel. People often cite Kanto's incarnations in GSC and HGSS as reasons for not wanting to see it AGAIN, but I always kind of feel like that sad, sorry place we went back to in those Johto post-scripts was not really Kanto at its finest. With the evil team completely eradicated (apart from one very confused guy who missed the memo) there was no conflict, just a bunch of underlevelled gym leaders to plow through at your leisure. Cinnabar Island is now a deserted wasteland and its Gym Leader is holed up in a cave. The intriguing, scary power plant once overrun with Pokemon and serving as a hideout for a legendary is now well-lit, populated, and offers you a brief quest and a TM for doing a good job. The once-great safari zone had Pal Park unceremoniously copy-pasted over it. Even Viridian Forest didn't feel as creepy or interesting anymore.

Johto's Kanto had a certain amount of excitement and charm to it in Gen 2, because the fandom were all easily impressed kids still high on Pokemania: 'we get to go back to a whole other region after finishing Johto? OMG! 2 regions in 1 game yaaaay' and the nostalgia factor was there in full force. But going back to it in Gen 4, with the lovely new graphics, really emphasized how little there was to do. And there wasn't even any Sevii Islands to redeem it. (I guess they at least boosted the levels of the Gym Leaders so they didn't completely suck anymore, but yeah, my point still stands).

If Kanto ever does come back, I want to see it stand on its own and be BURSTING with new, fantastic content.

Guys, you'll have to stop looking into all this Gen 1 pandering as a sign of things to come. It's the 20th anniversary of the original games so of course they're going to advertise their roots alot and Red is Japan's most beloved mc so him being everywhere is a given. Even with this though TPC has made it clear that this will be a celebration of both the old and new but moreover the entire franchise.

I was thinking, regarding Zygarde's colors, if the red, white, and blue represent the French flag, what could the purple and orange represent? Then it hit me, the traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple, gold, and green. The gold is usually depicted as yellow in non-metallic Mardi Gras decorations, but it's not inconceivable that they could be using the orange to represent gold. Zygarde provides the green. That color combination does originate from the New Orleans version of the festival, not from France itself, though one of the biggest Carnival celebrations is in Nice, in the south of France. Does Southern Kalos love to laissez les bon temps rouler? Dunno how likely this is, it's just something I thought up on the toilet earlier.

Wish I could have liked this twice as it's just so awesome, so thought I'd quote it and let you know instead. We could turn out to be completely wrong but so far the pieces are all fitting together nicely :)

Also on an unrelated note to everyone else, could Red make an appearance in the movie? Might explain those Red Hexagons a bit?

Guys, you'll have to stop looking into all this Gen 1 pandering as a sign of things to come. It's the 20th anniversary of the original games so of course they're going to advertise their roots alot and Red is Japan's most beloved mc so him being everywhere is a given. Even with this though TPC has made it clear that this will be a celebration of both the old and new but moreover the entire franchise.
Thank you.
Seriously, just because they're advertising Kanto a lot doesn't mean they're making Kanto "sequels" next.

Thank you.
Seriously, just because they're advertising Kanto a lot doesn't mean they're making Kanto "sequels" next.
Who said Kanto games are coming next? We are only saying it would be logical if this was indeed the next game.

They are advertising Kanto like crazy, and usually, when you advertise something so much, you want to sell it. They could sell more than the VC.

Anyway, a Kalos based game is still the most logical next game. The point is, they could surprise us with Kanto.

Isn't it a bit too early to say the 20th anniversary advertisement is mostly Kanto? I mean, we've only gotten through the first month.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Venusaur and Blastoise got a second Mega or Pikachu got more Cosplay formes in the next game(s) though.

Who said Kanto games are coming next? We are only saying it would be logical if this was indeed the next game.

They are advertising Kanto like crazy, and usually, when you advertise something so much, you want to sell it.

Anyway, a Kalos based game is still the most logical next game. The point is, they could surprise us with Kanto.
They're advertising it because it's now relevant again after so many years. I'm not saying Kanto sequels are out of the question but now literally nothing points to them at all. Also there's that corocoro thing that's happening in like a week. That'll tell us more about what the future holds

I was thinking, regarding Zygarde's colors, if the red, white, and blue represent the French flag, what could the purple and orange represent? Then it hit me, the traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple, gold, and green. The gold is usually depicted as yellow in non-metallic Mardi Gras decorations, but it's not inconceivable that they could be using the orange to represent gold. Zygarde provides the green. That color combination does originate from the New Orleans version of the festival, not from France itself, though one of the biggest Carnival celebrations is in Nice, in the south of France. Does Southern Kalos love to laissez les bon temps rouler? Dunno how likely this is, it's just something I thought up on the toilet earlier.
only problems: 1) as you point out, the colors are of New Orleanian origins, 2) Carnival is too global of an idea to incorporate into just France, who although does have a few large celebrations, is not really known for it. i could see them maybe pulling something out like that for a Brazilian region (given that over 70% of tourism in that country is during Carnival), 3) i doubt Game Freak wants to get into a religion thing, and 4) really stretching it with the colors.
Also on an unrelated note to everyone else, could Red make an appearance in the movie? Might explain those Red Hexagons a bit?
if he does it'd be independent of those hexagons (ie., a coincidence).

Last edited:
People are getting so pressed over speculation...in a speculation thread:p

I agree with those saying a trip back to Kanto would only be justified if it was a re-imagining with much more fleshed out environments, characters, lore, and overall story. Hoenn did it, so Kanto could do it.

The three birds could actually have some kind of story arc to them:
Articuno
A legendary bird Pokémon that is said to appear to doomed people who are lost in icy mountains
This could lead to some kind of episode where your rival tells you of how they know how it appears to save doomed travelers in the snowy mountains, so they plan to fake needing help and plan to attack it. You follow but are always a few steps behind only to find your Rival's pokemon all faint attempting to fight the mythical bird. You step in and can catch it to save him.

Zapdos
A legendary bird Pokémon that is said to appear from clouds while dropping enormous lightning bolts
This could be some type of storm that travels occasionally over various plains areas of Kanto, but is caught over the power plant due to a lightning rod installed.

Moltres
Moltres is a legendary bird Pokémon that has the ability to control fire. If this Pokémon is injured, it is said to dip its body in the molten magma of a volcano to burn and heal itself. As it flaps its blazing wings, even the night sky will turn red
This could be the one that you encounter a few times but only a night because the aesthetic described in its poked entry would be cool with better graphics. Several times when it is night, before it's wild encounter occurs the camera pans up to the black sky and you watch as it fades into a deep red to signal its encounter. After several encounters of running away, you eventually find it at an ideal nearby Cinnabar that has a volcanic pool of lava that it has been healing itself in after every encounter.

only problems: 1) as you point out, the colors are of New Orleanian origins, 2) Carnival is too global of an idea to incorporate into just France, who although does have a few large celebrations, is not really known for it. i could see them maybe pulling something out like that for a Brazilian region (given that over 70% of tourism in that country is during Carnival), 3) i doubt Game Freak wants to get into a religion thing, and 4) really stretching it with the colors.

if he does it'd be independent of those hexagons (ie., a coincidence).

Actually Marseille and Nice, two big French cities in the south, like the most famous two actually, have massive Mardi Gras celebrations, and the South of France is known as being much more religious.

As for Game freak not wanting to get into religion, they've already covered parts of Taoism, Judaism, in Gen 3 and Gen 5 legendary Pokemon, as well as effectively made up their own religion in Gen 4, which linked partly into christianity (or at least Giratina as the angel that fell etc). Also plenty of Pokemon contain elements from Buddism, Shintoism, Hinduism etc.

Plus we already have the ingame event that mentions people in the South of Kalos (or at least part of it) do worship Volcanion.

And to point 4, how is he stretching it, he just said that there might be a slight disparity over whether the colour is Gold or Orange?

Instead of just shooting down his theory, why not provide some speculation of your own, it's a speculation thread after all?

Do you agree that there are more cores, like the English site says? If so, what colours would be used, look at any standard colour wheel or rainbow, Red Blue and green are already taken, only Orange, Purple and Yellow are left. Not to mention we can clearly see in about 5 different forms of media now, that Zygarde has Hexagonal Cores in these 4 or 5 colours in it's chest. It's shown multiple times to be individual hexagons not just shading. So what do you think this could link to?

I'm not saying my theory or @Johtohfiller 's theories or anyones theories are correct. I just wanna hear people spending more time on their own theories, rather than just focusing on the negatives of others. I feel to many people are happy to criticise others for coming up with ideas but reluctant to produce any of their own. If you're not into speculation why are you on a speculation thread?

If you're not into speculation why are you on a speculation thread?
I'm sorry, but there's a HUGE difference between logical speculation such as 'oh look, Zygarde has two different moves, perhaps it could have two forms' and speculation such as 'red hexagons in the background, hmm, it could possibly hint at Red coming back'.

ALSO, plenty of people have suggested their own theories, such as gen 6.5 but they have all been relentlessly shot down.

So please do not ask why we aren't presenting our own theories, it's been made pretty clear that they are not what you guys want because, in your eyes, they 'lack' evidence. Plenty of users have their eyes set on some form of third version and will go against everything that opposes their idea.

I just wish Game Freak would break the "third mascot gets a game" pattern, I mean, it'd be nice for Zygarde to get his game, but he's getting covered in the anime - Rayquaza, Giratina, and Kyurem never had that kind of treatment, they were only covered in one movie, not an entire season/series.

I feel like no one would be happy if the mascots were two new Pokemon RELATED to Zygarde and Zygarde was covered in the game(s) or if it was something none of us have speculated. :/

If the level cap became 100, even my ideal Pokemon game could happen ( Johto + Hoenn + Unova, 3 in 1).

I wonder how they would close off/explain away the Magnet Train or Route 26 without people crying foul for their post-game.

For the Magnet Train they could have it close down or simply not give you a ticket. Rt. 26 can just block it with an NPC.

They could easily make another dual-region game... if they raised the level cap from 100.

Which, of course, would never happen.

This too. I got to Lv. 80 in X with the Exp Share on. With a two region game like GSCHGSS, you'll likely end up reaching Lv. 100 before you even finish Kanto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom