• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's based on your own personal tastes, though. I really liked some of the clothes from X/Y, despite there not being a massive anount of choice.

Besides, for their first attempt at this, it could have been a lot more limited than what it was. Hopefully they'll only expand upon it in future generations.
I made it pretty clear it was my opinion xD

I don't recall saying anything of the sort, though?

Then why call it infamous?

Although the PC is mute and relatively has no characterization, I find having a personalized version of you very unsetelling. I've been over it before. Take Brendan or May. Would they have been brendan and may with blonde hair and different clothing? No, they wouldn't. I always saw the PC as a blank canvas, one you create a character for, but not actually inderting yourself in the world itself. I see the personal avatar as a multiplayer feature, and not a single player feature, and as more of those crossover it disheartens me.

This reasoning makes absolutely no sense. If you're creating a character, that's enough. There's no other justification needed. Customization is entirely about creating an avatar for yourself. Also, how can you not see that you're inserting yourself in the game when the character is a silent protagonist? That's the entire reason that silent protagonists even exist.

This reasoning makes absolutely no sense. If you're creating a character, that's enough. There's no other justification needed. Customization is entirely about creating an avatar for yourself. Also, how can you not see that you're inserting yourself in the game when the character is a silent protagonist? That's the entire reason that silent protagonists even exist.
I think it makes more sense than you think.

It's easier to feel, harder to explain.

I prefer creating a character for the trainer the developers intend on us using instead of being me in the Pokemon World. Calem isn't Calem, its me. You can argue naming the character also goes against this train of though, but its not. Think about LoZ, another famous Mute Protag being the star, with minor design slterations and evolution throughout the series. Would you want to play as a caricature if yourself, or as Link? I would assume as the classic link.
Edit: ^ Exactly, its very hard ti describe in words. It has to do with the feel of what Pokemon's single player feels like, and it just doesn't offer the same cognitive stimulation as a set character being what you want them to be.

Surely the difference is that they are the intended character when an NPC, but when it's the PC, then it's meant to be you, and they just use that unused NPC as a base.

I love pretending it's me, in my Game Head Canon it's the same character every time, not a new trainer. (Ignore what the ingame text says ;) )

@Mitchman I can completely get by what you said, that was a good reasoning on why a person might not like customization. Unless pokemon became an MMO, having the single player gameplay as one person while the avatar for multiplayer be custom makes sense.

@BlackButterfree I have never seen that image of Leaf before! It kinda looks silly to me honestly XD Like a little girl trying to dress like she's older...

I am not really into customization. It seems like just an extra thing that you can choose to do in XY. Kind of glad that ORAS didn't had it. I am open to the possibility that there may be more Zygarde Cores than just the red and blue. Won't be long until corocoro comes.

I prefer creating a character for the trainer the developers intend on us using instead of being me in the Pokemon World. Calem isn't Calem, its me.

I respect your opinion, but I can't understand it. The reason why I adore XY is because I could finally become a character in the game. I could choose the color of my skin, my eyes, my clothes. I don't want to play as Calem/Red etc because they're a blank slate anyway. No personality, no dialogue, nothing. They feel just like soulless, void string puppets I'm manipulating to catch and train monsters. Customization made me feel it was actually me who was doing all that.It made me enjoy the game so much more.

As I said earlier, I'd really like customization to stick around. Calem's standard appearance is, simply put, an eyesore. I don't want to be stuck with an avatar that's painful to look at.

I'm keeping my expectations low on it returning for the next gen. Having it in whatever Kalos game is next I can firmly say will be a given...but for the generational jump not so much. Game freak is infamous for its features that it touts one game and then takes away (Oh Masada, I know, you wanna make every game different...thats what they all say...)

I'm keeping my expectations low on it returning for the next gen. Having it in whatever Kalos game is next I can firmly say will be a given...but for the generational jump not so much. Game freak is infamous for its features that it touts one game and then takes away (Oh Masada, I know, you wanna make every game different...thats what they all say...)

As much as Game Freak loves making games unique, I don't think this is one feature they'll throw to the wayside, it's an important part of their online environment that helps distinguish you from the hundereds of other people online at the same time.

Wuh? Platinum Lucas is on the same level as Emerald Brendan. And both are way above Classic Red. Maybe that new art will give him the edge if the clothes aren't as baggy, but even then, the 3rd Version Redesigns of Gen 3 and 4 are the best in the series. Pt Lucas goes from that wierd and baggy jeans to a classy ensemble of Chinos, that bitching jacket and a nicer scarf.
Sorry... is that fanart sticked to me. And Sugimori art Red isn't THAT bad. And I respect your opinion. For me, Emerald Brendan was the best Brendan (excluding the pants under the pants, and ORAS Brendan... Just not so sure, but sure was better than RS Brendan, but what I loved about Brendan was the white cap in all the designs.) And yeah, personally Platinum Lucas is better than DP Lucas. Hilbert... Looks too similar to Red, IMO. Nate looks similar to Hilbert but not so much. Calem is Hilbert 2.0. Really, the female PCs are way more varied than the male ones, just with Serena being a little similar to Gen 3 Leaf (but not on the level of Red/Hilbert/Calem).

On the subject of customization, I liked seeing it in full in that cut-scene with Xerneas/Yveltal, that's what I want x1000 for the potential third game. More of those amazing scenes, cause that's like the only one in XY I think? lol. It felt awesome to see my character in the scene the way I designed it.

Edit: I know there was a few more of them in ORAS, so I expect more for Z... Now they've had time to perfect it.

Infamous: well-known for some bad quality or deed.

Leaf's Gen. 1 design: released in official images, but never in-game. I'd say that counts as a bad quality, don't you?

@BlackButterfree I have never seen that image of Leaf before! It kinda looks silly to me honestly XD Like a little girl trying to dress like she's older...

Technically, it's not of Leaf, it's of Green (her Pokémon Adventures counterpart). The following are the only images we have of Leaf pre-Generation 3.

RGB_guidebook.jpg

Sugi_art_book.png

Kensugiart.png

Kensugiart2.png

Kensugiart3.png

Kensugiart4.png

There might be more, but these are all the ones Bulbapedia has on her official page, but there's always the odd artwork on another page that's not on a PC's page.

I think someone should outright ask Ken Sugimori at a convention or championship or something for updated artwork of Leaf in her Gen. 1 design.

There something known as taste or personal likes you know?
Why are you quoting the part of my comment that interests you? Please read the entire comment, and quote it from the beginning. I made it very clear it is my personal opinion.

Removing CC was a sin because it's a feature that shouldn't be treated as a gimmick. The whole point of silent protagonist is so that we the players can inject our own preferences into them and CC is a evolution of that very concept. Now, if the characters we played as had their own set persona similar to Ludger from TOX2 maybe I'd understand but alas they aren't. So if we're supposed to be the characters allow us to make them to our liking in every shape and form.

I remember feeling a bit disappointed about character customization not being in, but because of that... I'm not going to expect it in DPPt remakes, BW remakes, and B2W2 remakes. I can see it being in Generation 7+ and in sequels/non-remakes of those regions along with Kanto and Johto.

But it might have something hidden to it. Some have speculated a Mega, or a sort of Eternal Florges. Could it be linked to the Ultimate Weapon somehow, maybe Light of Ruin is a smaller version of the ultimate weapon the extreme power and drawback suggests it is similar as well as the animation.

I wouldn't mind Eternal Flower Florges happening, and I always found it weird how there's no Eternal Flower Flabebe in the games... I get it doesn't breed, but it had to have been a Flabebe with that flower and color. I hope they don't make a Mega for it though.. As that would lead to Mega Pikachu. The Cosplay formes are enough. e_e But I was more referring to the fact that Floette isn't exactly "world changing" news if they reveal it with nothing else.

Well technically, a Pokemon when revealed or exists as an official forme when its acknowledged with a reveal, official art, and the advertisement of its usage. So far we have had none of that. Right now, its a Floette with a funky flower that belongs to AZ, and is "mysterious". It can be used for the movie and have focus on it for all we know. And as for the issue brought up on it being "handed" to us in XY and ORAS, if the games come out in June before the movie, that problem is solved. It could be traded over to the past two, after an ingame event for it has been played out. For all we know, the in-theater distro could be something else.

Yeah, that's true. I'd imagine we don't have the artwork of it because we can't really obtain it.

Infamous: well-known for some bad quality or deed.

Leaf's Gen. 1 design: released in official images, but never in-game. I'd say that counts as a bad quality, don't you?

Technically, it's not of Leaf, it's of Green (her Pokémon Adventures counterpart). The following are the only images we have of Leaf pre-Generation 3.

RGB_guidebook.jpg

Sugi_art_book.png

Kensugiart.png

Kensugiart2.png

Kensugiart3.png

Kensugiart4.png

There might be more, but these are all the ones Bulbapedia has on her official page, but there's always the odd artwork on another page that's not on a PC's page.

I think someone should outright ask Ken Sugimori at a convention or championship or something for updated artwork of Leaf in her Gen. 1 design.

I suppose this might be off-topic-y, but I always question the name "Leaf." I get why people call her that, but I feel like she might as well just be called Green like in the manga. Also, is she called Leaf in any Japanese medium? Because then you'd have Red (boy protag), Green (rival), and Leaf. 2 green names. Seems just... Odd to me.

Slightly more back on topic, though, I would love some sort of canonization of her. She really is just a girl version of Red, she doesn't stand out as her own character in anyway, and that's sad. In FrLg they definitely could've giver her the last starter and had her do something, ANYTHING, but unfortunately that sort of thing didn't seem to cross their mind until gen IV.

We're close to the annual investor meeting/QA for Nintendo. Nothing is certaun, and it in no way related to Pokemon, but I have fumny feelings about it. DP were announced in a Fall Investor briefing to encapsulate that the DS is more important then everyone first though, gen 5 got revealed by a vague statement in a January briefing, and ORAS right after a May briefing. So yeah, who knows? And with Directs off the table, if gen 7 is coming this year, I would assume it would be like BW, confirmstion that the 3DS is still supported, and that Pokemon is coming this fall, yada yada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom