• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this might be off-topic-y, but I always question the name "Leaf." I get why people call her that, but I feel like she might as well just be called Green like in the manga. Also, is she called Leaf in any Japanese medium? Because then you'd have Red (boy protag), Green (rival), and Leaf. 2 green names. Seems just... Odd to me.

Slightly more back on topic, though, I would love some sort of canonization of her. She really is just a girl version of Red, she doesn't stand out as her own character in anyway, and that's sad. In FrLg they definitely could've giver her the last starter and had her do something, ANYTHING, but unfortunately that sort of thing didn't seem to cross their mind until gen IV.

If I remember correctly, some fans do just straight up call her Green instead of Leaf. And Japanese fans are split between Blue (her name over there) and Fuguri (taken from rifugurin, or leaf green).

And yeah, both Leaf and Kris got the short end of the stick when it comes to female protags. May becomes your rival (and love interest in the remakes, mirroring the Pokémon Adventures manga), Dawn becomes an ally, Lyra always calls to check in, Hilda can be seen in the Battle Subway, same as Rosa, and then Serena is a full-fledged rival. Every other female protag has a major NPC role except for the both of the firsts: the first designed (Leaf) and the first released (Kris). It's shameful.

If I remember correctly, some fans do just straight up call her Green instead of Leaf. And Japanese fans are split between Blue (her name over there) and Fuguri (taken from rifugurin, or leaf green).

And yeah, both Leaf and Kris got the short end of the stick when it comes to female protags. May becomes your rival (and love interest in the remakes, mirroring the Pokémon Adventures manga), Dawn becomes an ally, Lyra always calls to check in, Hilda can be seen in the Battle Subway, same as Rosa, and then Serena is a full-fledged rival. Every other female protag has a major NPC role except for the both of the firsts: the first designed (Leaf) and the first released (Kris). It's shameful.

But obviously you are considering the "detail" that: the boy is the main character. Because... excluding Red, there is nothing that points the girl isn't the heroine of the game. Unless the Japanese are very sexist, or has some obscure detail in the games indicating that all boys are the former playable character.

Nevertheless there is a debate if Lyra / Kris are the same character. Some say no, because she was designed from scratch, some disagree, because Ethan is considered the same as Gold, so Lyra is Crystal.

Also, I think the characters of manga are not the same as the game, the same way Ash is not Red, and manga!Red, is not exactly the game!Red Also it's applies to Leaf/Blue/Green and Gary/Blue/Green. All of them are inspired on their game counterpart, but have drastic differences.

Though tha manga version is the the most faithful adaptation to the games, there's big differences, and it's not just poetical license to the plot work, but new characters and etc...

Last edited:
But obviously you are considering the "detail" that: the boy is the main character. Because... excluding Red, there is nothing that points the girl isn't the heroine of the game. Unless the Japanese are very sexist, or has some obscure detail in the games indicating that all boys are the former playable character.

Nevertheless there is a debate if Lyra / Kris are the same character. Some say no, because she was designed from scratch, some disagree, because Ethan is considered the same as Gold, so Lyra is Crystal.

Also, I think the characters of manga are not the same as the game, the same way Ash is not Red, and manga!Red, is not exactly the game!Red Also it's applies to Leaf/Blue/Green and Gary/Blue/Green. All of them are inspired on their game counterpart, but have drastic differences.

Though tha manga version is the the most faithful adaptation to the games, there's big differences, and it's not just poetical license to the plot work, but new characters and etc...
Yeah, like Yellow, Emerald, Zapmolcuno (y'know, that weird fusion in the first volumes), plus the story is different than the games (Team Flare starts stalking the Kalos group in the XY Chapter at the very early episodes) (Norman, Steven, and Courtney dying, needing a lot of energy that can kill you for controlling legendaries and their orbs, the ruthlessness of Maxie and Archie... Shadow Force almost killing Diamond in the Platinum Chapter...) We have to separate the manga from the games because of differences, so the manga has its own canon and the games their own.

Here's an interesting bit from Super Mystery Dungeon. Hint or trolling?

FUx4neV.jpg

Here's an interesting bit from Super Mystery Dungeon. Hint or trolling?

FUx4neV.jpg

I did have this funny idea before.

Like what if Pokemon knew we were all getting impatient and warring like this, and the next game was Z they can't announce it too in advance etc but wanted to send us a message to let us know its alright and the fandom being the fandom, just don't see the hint and dismiss all the hints and clues, and some poor Pokemon exec is banging his head against the desk saying how do we get the message through to these people without an outright reveal.

We named the series xy and z that wasn't enough, we named the tretta game z, they didn't pick up on that, we made the z in the English logo huge they didn't pick up on it, and this Unown is like breaking the fourth wall and is one of the Pokemon execs being like how so I let people know about z! Lol

Just to be clear I'm not saying this is what's happening or even likely it was just a funny idea that popped into my head a few weeks ago and this picture reminded me of it.

Its been known for a couple of months, but yeah, the fandom takes it for teasing. At this point, its basically like Majora's Mask 3D. They know we expect a new game, they know how we expect it to be, and they are obviously throwing Z in our faces to create a buzz. Only difference is that its not exactly going to be Z.

I don't think the Adventures manga is considered the definitive canon of all things Pokemon. If I recall, that comment about Adventures being "the most faithful" out of all other media was referring to the overall mood and feel of the world, rather than in-game canon.

Yeah, like Yellow, Emerald, Zapmolcuno (y'know, that weird fusion in the first volumes), plus the story is different than the games (Team Flare starts stalking the Kalos group in the XY Chapter at the very early episodes) (Norman, Steven, and Courtney dying, needing a lot of energy that can kill you for controlling legendaries and their orbs, the ruthlessness of Maxie and Archie... Shadow Force almost killing Diamond in the Platinum Chapter...) We have to separate the manga from the games because of differences, so the manga has its own canon and the games their own.

I don't think the Adventures manga is considered the definitive canon of all things Pokemon. If I recall, that comment about Adventures being "the most faithful" out of all other media was referring to the overall mood and feel of the world, rather than in-game canon.

All of you need to learn to read. I never said anything about the manga being the one true canon, only that your rival having the hots for you in OR/AS is a reference to their Adventures counterparts.

Funny, I just saw this in the game yesterday and thought the same thing. What's even funnier is that once you make a connection with Z, you can also see connections with X and Y.

Being a European I've not yet had the chance to play the game, so would you mind telling me the wider context? That is the Z unown, so why does the Z Unown need to tell people about "Z" ?

Cause the intention of "telling someone of Z" is probably that Z is a game tease.

Speaking of Adventures...spoilers ahead, be warned:

I find it awesome that Red & Green (Jpn Blue) both appeared again for this chapter, with megas starters to boot. Blue's appearance in the X/Y chapter with Diantha to look for "Z" was cool too.

Also kindof shuts down the idea of a Kanto game next, as they would have likely been saved for that chapter instead of appearing in these. But who knows. I'm just happy they made a re-appearance.

Also:
Maxie @ every reader
bJcII6E.gif

This got me thinking, when the inevitable D/P remake chapter comes out, we'll get to see Dia/Pearl/Platina again. I love those dorks.

speaking of Adventures pt 2...
Shelly no.2, HOT DAAAMN

it's also the 2nd in Japan now, so....9 days until CoroCoro may begin to leak!

Last edited:
PokeSpe is actually off the walls when it comes to XY and the direction its going. Zygarde teasing all over the place, ORAS apparently takes place during Green's FIRST visit to Kalos, a couple of years before, meaning that Red and Blue will likely appear in XY with an age bump, and then you have Malva destroying the 3rd KalosDex, implying that there will be no "Z" DexHolder. Does that mean sequels? 3rd Version? Or do the writers know that gen 6 is getting something more? Its pretty insane, ORAS and XY are years apart, but there is obvious plot build up going on, while incorporating the original DexHolders for the Anniversary. Its definitely shaping up for a Z arc, but the way its handling thing suggests its not going to be that simple.

Being a European I've not yet had the chance to play the game, so would you mind telling me the wider context? That is the Z unown, so why does the Z Unown need to tell people about "Z" ?
i really don't remember what every Unown talks about, but i'm pretty sure most/all say 'i need to tell someone about [the letter they are]'

@BlackButterfree sometimes boys would play as girls in the games because they wanted to/feel like it and they have no problem with it.
I had to reply to this one, as my hubby refuses to play as the male protag. He simply won't, as he'd prefer to kick some tail as a female. Or as he has sometimes said, "I ain't into a sausage fest."
More customization choices would be nice... What if we also get clothing based on the starters and the mascot Legendaries?
You know, in X and Y we got the Slurpuff dress, why can't we get a custom dress of one of our favorite Pokemon? Have a nice little dress shop in Lumiose where you can throw down however much money to get a Pokemon dress/outfit. Like Bisharp? Pay X amount of Poke dollars to get a Bisharp suit. Is Golurk your go-to? Get yourself a Golurk dress for whatever amount of cash. Oh and GF? Don't gender-lock this: if a female player wants a suit rather than a dress, let 'em get the suit. Clothes are freaking clothes. Who the slag cares if a guy wants to wear a dress or a girl wants to wear a tux?

It's a thought. Probably will never happen but it is a thought.

All of you need to learn to read. I never said anything about the manga being the one true canon, only that your rival having the hots for you in OR/AS is a reference to their Adventures counterparts.
But of course, you are also in need of reading comprehension lessons, because I did not say that you mention the manga being canon, but discussed the point referenced that some fans call Leaf as being Green.

I'm not stupid enough as to not understand that you were explaining something and not putting your opinion, but in the beggining I criticized rather, the structure of your post, capiche?

And so I wanted to clarify points that were confused. Maybe because I find annoying when people put the manga or anime as canon, but well ... that is not subject to this topic, that's it.

PokeSpe is actually off the walls when it comes to XY and the direction its going. Zygarde teasing all over the place, ORAS apparently takes place during Green's FIRST visit to Kalos, a couple of years before, meaning that Red and Blue will likely appear in XY with an age bump, and then you have Malva destroying the 3rd KalosDex, implying that there will be no "Z" DexHolder. Does that mean sequels? 3rd Version? Or do the writers know that gen 6 is getting something more? Its pretty insane, ORAS and XY are years apart, but there is obvious plot build up going on, while incorporating the original DexHolders for the Anniversary. Its definitely shaping up for a Z arc, but the way its handling thing suggests its not going to be that simple.

In the BW Chapter, Bianca and Cheren were supposed to be the Dex Holder, only that Black broke the two, Juniper managed to fix one of it, and handed to White so now she is the official Dex Holder. No one knows what happened to the third dex in here.

Speaking of Adventures...spoilers ahead, be warned:

I find it awesome that Red & Green (Jpn Blue) both appeared again for this chapter, with megas starters to boot. Blue's appearance in the X/Y chapter with Diantha to look for "Z" was cool too.

Also kindof shuts down the idea of a Kanto game next, as they would have likely been saved for that chapter instead of appearing in these. But who knows. I'm just happy they made a re-appearance.

Also:
Maxie @ every reader
bJcII6E.gif

This got me thinking, when the inevitable D/P remake chapter comes out, we'll get to see Dia/Pearl/Platina again. I love those dorks.

speaking of Adventures pt 2...
Shelly no.2, HOT DAAAMN

it's also the 2nd in Japan now, so....9 days until CoroCoro may begin to leak!

It's already Tuesday in Japan? OR/AS rounds come out the first Tuesday of the month! :D (And X/Y comes out every 2oth)

Anyways, there's three concurrent chapters right now (OR/AS which is online and takes place around the same time as HG/SS, X/Y which is in CoroCoro Ichiban and takes place at the end of the timeline and B2/W2 which is being shipped straight to volumes and is either before or the same time as X/Y), so since Red and Green are in Hoenn and Blue is in Kalos... I'd wager Yellow will show up in Unova. And be in serious danger. With her ability to super saiyan-ize her Pokémon, she'll definitely draw the unwanted attention of Colress. And if they confirm her age in the B2/W2 chapter, we might get the manga timeline more solidified.

I'm just happy to see where this arc takes us. They really took the "group of 5" dynamic and made it 10,000,000 times better than the games could've.

I had to reply to this one, as my hubby refuses to play as the male protag. He simply won't, as he'd prefer to kick some tail as a female. Or as he has sometimes said, "I ain't into a sausage fest."

You know, in X and Y we got the Slurpuff dress, why can't we get a custom dress of one of our favorite Pokemon? Have a nice little dress shop in Lumiose where you can throw down however much money to get a Pokemon dress/outfit. Like Bisharp? Pay X amount of Poke dollars to get a Bisharp suit. Is Golurk your go-to? Get yourself a Golurk dress for whatever amount of cash. Oh and GF? Don't gender-lock this: if a female player wants a suit rather than a dress, let 'em get the suit. Clothes are freaking clothes. Who the slag cares if a guy wants to wear a dress or a girl wants to wear a tux?

It's a thought. Probably will never happen but it is a thought.

Ever since Kris, I always did my first playthrough of a game as a girl; May, Dawn, Leaf, Lyra, Rosa. But then I also played as Hilbert and Calem. The girls usually have cuter outfits. D/P Dawn especially is my favorite.

In the BW Chapter, Bianca and Cheren were supposed to be the Dex Holder, only that Black broke the two, Juniper managed to fix one of it, and handed to White so now she is the official Dex Holder. No one knows what happened to the third dex in here.

Sorry for the double post, but I don't think you'll get the notification if I simply edited this quote into my previous post. Cheren and Bianca both got their Dexes fixed, but Cheren renounced his after being swayed to Team Plasma's side and N's Pokémon destroyed his Pokédex. And then obviously Bianca gave hers to White.

Again, sorry for the double post.

One of the major gameplay mechanics in the new game is a connection system where if you form a bond with a certain Pokemon, they join your team and you can use them in dungeons (instead of randomly recruiting Pokemon from dungeons). This usually involves completing job requests, but you can also connect with certain Pokemon just by talking to them in the overworld. So occasionally in the cafe you find an Unown Z who wants to "tell you about Z", and when you talk with it (off screen, you don't see any of the conversation) you form a connection with it and can also see connections with Unown X and Y.

Basically, the Unown is having some unknown, in all likelihood probably nonsense, conversation with the player about "Z" and people are taking it as a hint towards a Z announcement. I wouldn't read too much into it, but I do think they're using this event to toy with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom