• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Alexander

Game Freak has promised us a surprise, but you dismiss every single thing that's different or new because there's no example of it in past precedent. That's not logic.

So it makes sense to create new pokemon for the last game(s) of gen 6 and then create another new batch of pokemon for gen 7? Wouldn't it be easier to wait for gen 7?

First, don't insult me. I am open minded but I am also logical. I am not trying to shoot ideas down but I find some of them illogical. The only one being rude and disrespectful is you for calling me ignorant and close minded. I don't act like I know better and I appreciate it if you don't insult me with words like ignorant and close minded. We had Kanto four generations in a row plus RBY are going on virtual console. Gen 6.5 doesn't sound right because gen 7 seems to be coming closer to us.

I didn't insult you, I'm telling you how you come off, hiding behind "logic". When in reality, logic and common sense are leaning towards 6.5 being a thing. Either way, my point still stands.

So it makes sense to create new pokemon for the last game(s) of gen 6 and then create another new batch of pokemon for gen 7? Wouldn't it be easier to wait for gen 7?
Did it ever occur to you that by doing a 6.5 and adding a few new Pokemon mid generation, they might extend the generation at least another 2 years and take their time with the next generation by allowing Pokemon Go and Pokken some longevity? Then they could come in with get seven after both of those games plus whatever third get 6 main game have been around for enough time...

Maybe they could have saved new Pokemon that are exclusive to Southern Kalos? That would be the only reason why they saved them. I don't really agree with the new Pokemon mid-gen thing but that would be an explanation.

Wait, I must have missed the billboard that said there is Gen 6.5 evidence, and evidence of a "handful" of new Pokemon.

I didn't insult you, I'm telling you how you come off, hiding behind "logic". When in reality, logic and common sense are leaning towards 6.5 being a thing. Either way, my point still stands.

Actually you did and I was offended by that last post you made. I didn't hide behind logic, I feel that creating new pokemon at the end of gen 6 before gen 7 seems weird and not the normal logic pokemon games take.

Did it ever occur to you that by doing a 6.5 and adding a few new Pokemon mid generation, they might extend the generation at least another 2 years and take their time with the next generation by allowing Pokemon Go and Pokken some longevity? Then they could come in with get seven after both of those games plus whatever third get 6 main game have been around for enough time...

I like new pokemon to be introduce in a new generation and not in the final gen 6 games. I know pokemon isn't logical itself but there is some logic to how the games are made and how new pokemon are introduced.

There's no concrete evidence of Gen 6.5, let's not kid ourselves here. It's simply a theory that makes sense of the unusual situation we have here and would be a logical progression for this generation.

I suppose there is one thing that might indicate gen 6.5 and that is all current non-event pokemon is obtainable between XY and ORAS. It was weird how we can complete the national dex before the final game(s) of the gen. Of course this might also suggest gen 7. I don't really like the idea of gen 6.5 but if they do it right then maybe I can get use to them.

I think that people need to be open minded, expect the unexpected. Just because things were done in a certain way in the past doesn't mean they can't be done differently in the future.

@Alexander you're talking about it being illogical for Game Freak to introduce new Pokémon in a currently going generation and I have to ask what is really so illogical about that? I mean the one reason that you gave for it being illogical seems valid enough but why do have to keep rubbing it in everyone's face? I feel like at this point you're just going off of what it is that you want, just look at this post you made...
If they include new pokemon right before gen 7, I would catch them and then release them because they had ruined the game for me. It is a waste of new Pokémon and saying gen 6.5 sounds ridiculous.

This sounds like what someone who didn't get what they wanted would do. You also say your open minded and what's quoted above doesn't make it look that way. An open minded person would accept that they didn't get what they wanted and just move on.

I suppose there is one thing that might indicate gen 6.5 and that is all current non-event pokemon is obtainable between XY and ORAS. It was weird how we can complete the national dex before the final game(s) of the gen. Of course this might also suggest gen 7. I don't really like the idea of gen 6.5 but if they do it right then maybe I can get use to them.

The National Dex situation is one reason, but it's much more than that. We have a box legendary revealed but no game. An event Pokemon revealed for the next movie, but no co-star. It seems pretty clear that they're setting up for a return to Kalos, but for some reason they're holding back, and the reveal of new Pokemon could be a reason why. And then if we are returning to Kalos, how could they make it exciting and expand on what we got in XY? The Kalos Dex is already bloated with old Pokemon, so expanding it with old Pokemon wouldn't do much good. Adding new Pokemon though, could draw a lot of attention and make the game feel fresh.

@AgentRosa I want whatever your on to extrapolate that much info :ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry man... that's classified Level 7 information.

I can see this happening for this reason, although IMO one more year instead of two sounds a little more plausible. Yeah, we still don't even know the release date for Pokemon GO. IIRC, Masuda had posted a tweet sometime last month of him working on the music for it... so as far as we know, it's still being worked on.

I don't know if this has been brought up about Zygarde, but I got to thinking... what if Zygarde is supposed to be a physical personification of Mega/Infinite Energy?

I think that people need to be open minded, expect the unexpected. Just because things were done in a certain way in the past doesn't mean they can't be done differently in the future.

@Alexander you're talking about it being illogical for Game Freak to introduce new Pokémon in a currently going generation and I have to ask what is really so illogical about that? I mean the one reason that you gave for it being illogical seems valid enough but why do have to keep rubbing it in everyone's face? I feel like at this point you're just going off of what it is that you want, just look at this post you made...

This sounds like what someone who didn't get what they wanted would do. You also say your open minded and what's quoted above doesn't make it look that way. An open minded person would accept that they didn't get what they wanted and just move on.

If they pull it off correctly then I would be ok with it. Still feels weird to have new pokemon that is introduced in the final game(s) of the series. If they bring in a gen 6.5, at least give us two version games so that people can trade the shiny gen 6.5 pokemon to the other version because XY and ORAS wouldn't be able to have them. As for Kanto, I am open for its return but I still think that we won't get it until next gen or two. There is only room for two more games in gen 6.

About the national dex, Masuda himself said that they wanted players to get every pokemon from the entire series with just XY and ORAS.

I think the main reason why is because of the blue pentagon, meaning that if they were transfered from previous games, you couldn't use them online or in the VGC. Yes, i know battle spot doesn't have a rule in oras for the blue pentagon anymore, but that happened long after oras were released.

Last edited:
They generally like to match up the time skip with the amount of time that's passed in the real world between Japanese releases. RG were released in 1996 and GS were release in 1999 in Japan, so they made it a 3 year gap in between. BW were released in 2010 and BW2 were released in 2012 in Japan, so they made it a 2 year gap in between. So if they release an XY sequel in 2016, it will have been 3 years after XY's release in 2013 so in game the storyline will also probably take place 3 years after the events of XY. So Bonnie could be old enough to be the Gym Leader in theory, but she'd have to become a skilled trainer in just a few months, so that might be a stretch.

Which is why some people believe we're getting Gen 6.5, this kind of promotion fits with that idea. New Pokemon in an existing generation would be huge, so naturally they would have to be the star of the next movie alongside Volcanion. Plus it also explains the unusual marketing pattern with them revealing Zygarde's form out of nowhere, it would be a huge blindside for the fanbase when they would've expected to get a standard Z type of game and create a lot of buzz for the game.
I never said no to gen 6.5. I just have been bouncing between the idea of it happening or not over the last year. One thing I am set on though, is that if they originally planned to do such a thing in 2013, then its likely they saw a window of opportunity. Gen 6.5 could help them pull off a 5 year gen, with Gen 7 on the NX in 2018. I do think they are getting a lot more pressure from Nintendo to pull off another BW, so what can they do? 2017 and NX might happen, but its got to be at the cost of cutting corners. This is all conjecture and armchair analytics, sure, but gen 6.5 could be a viable tool to keep momentum and relevancy for this gen if they need to put gen 7 on NX at any cost, and they will likely have enough breathing room in this case. I could see also why we have so much Zygarde material and focus in this case.
They could have been aiming for a February launch, giving the games and new Pokemon spotlight till fall 2017, not a bad amount of time with some overlap with gen 7, which could be alleviated with crosd gen evolution hype. Somewhere along the line, Nintendo informed them about NX and how its a priority, so they changef some of their plans. Gen 6.5 got a bit delayed to either summer or fall 2016, as from now till fall 2018 the gap is much bigger, or perhaps gen 7 gets a spring release.
But yeah gen 6.5 is possible, but as a surefire way to extend gen 6 as long as possible.
Thing is... if they are gonna introduce new Pokemon, why not make a new generation too? Unless we are talking about a really small amount of new mons... like 15 or 20.
Yeah, gen 6.5 would likely be around 30-40 new critters, nothing groundbreaking.
As we get closer to CoroCoro I think we all need to keep our expectations low. It was movie news that was promised, after all. Whether that relates to a future game or not remains to be seen.
Movie news is always big in these cases, ezpectstions are fine.

Oh yeah, remember that Trainer Red art we got a tease for?
08uFM6l.jpg

Ariga drew it not, Sugimori. Still though, Ariga is their best artist right now, or at least I orefer his designs. So it really ks nothing, or for the time it seems to be. Love the Pokemon Yellow Pilachu in the meanwhile, or that's what it looks to be aiming for. And this red is a total badass compared to other classic reds, or at least the art does the design justice finally.

Last edited:
While the raised shirt is debatable, I disagree with the eyes. Ariga's style is unique, and it works a lot for me. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting a more active role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom