• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of March there will be a new Pokémon XY&Z chocolate egg series released for Japan, which includes 14 figures. One Pokémon is hidden as a mystery, so I could see a new Pokémon to be revealed in CoroCoro magazine this month. Source

Did somebody say... chocolate?!

That vid is more relevant than you think, folks. Game Freak is trying to sell the fandom chocolate, and that Chocolate Guy is the fandom.

So what your saying is that Brigette is powering Pokemon Bank and ergo transferring Pokemon from gen 5 through Hoopa? DEEPEST LORE.

Edit: I'n pretty sure an announcement is coming this month, similar timeline to B2W2 now. Pretty damn sure.

Not necessarily. We've already seen in-game that humans have artificially recreated Dialga's powers (Bill and the Time Capsule) as well as Palkia's (Team Rocket's Warp Panels) not to mention Hoopa's, if Zinnia is to be believed (Devon Corp's Link Cable). So it's possible that Hoopa has nothing to do with Brigette.

I was honestly kiddin, and takinga jab about how everything and anything in Pokemon has to have or seemingly has an in game explanation that serves a role for the overall lore, I wasn't being entirely serious. The Hoopa Rings in Hoenn being unexplained is classic gamefreak being mystical and deep, and mysterious, letting the player create their own idea why they're there. I really do want an explanation for them though, it would be a crime to leave em as they are.

I remember being disappointed there was no in-game event where we can catch Hoopa. Those rings supported the possibility of one. Same goes for the fact there's no Darkrai event on Cresselia's island. Even though the game says there's still something there after you catch Cresselia.

Would be neat if the next game had something like those events.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say DPt were the glory days exactly. Darkrai should have been a normal legendary, Shaymin only shined with Platinum, and they said screw it when it came to obtain Arceus in-game. And them Platinum's two new ones were half assed. Rotom Key unlocked a room with its appliances and Chraon's diary, while Regigigas could unlock you the three Regis, only to catch another Regigigas. Yay? Only redeeming event was in HGSS, where you go with Celebi and find Giovanni. And even THEN, it should have been done like the Delta Episode, where you go through a tiny plot and then catch the mythical. Such a huge storu event was locked behind an event.
Gen 3 was much more favorable in the event department, in my opinion. Inoffensive might be the better word. They at least tried, and they weren't tying major lore to something you can miss out on. Also love how almost all the mythicals could be found on some far off island, secluded from humans and the world. Makes em feel more...elusive.

On another note. Gen V was a sort of reboot. Roughly as many Pokemon as Kanto, only gen V mon in the first game, and so on so forth. But the parallel region to Kanto is not Unova, but Kalos. So I was thinking. XY to X2Y2 would probably be three years apart right? Real world gap applying to sequel gaps and what not. So then wouldn't gen 6.5 make sense even more? If Kanto is Kalos, and Johto is the Kanto sequels 3 years later, then wouldn't South Kalos~= Johto? And technically even though Kanto and Johto are two generations, they roughly account for a region and a half by today's standards. Together they have like 4 more cities then Unova, and the route count is really off, making 48 routes sound like a lot, but its not when you consider the size.
So basically, I can see them trying to parallel gens 1 AND 2 this gen. They go hand in hand, and having it all in one generation instead of two could prove to be fun. Balance shouldn't be a problem either, I can see them going with level 60 trainers in the routes easily.

Last edited:
On another note. Gen V was a sort of reboot. Roughly as many Pokemon as Kanto, only gen V mon in the first game, and so on so forth. But the parallel region to Kanto is not Unova, but Kalos. So I was thinking. XY to X2Y2 would probably be three years apart right? Real world gap applying to sequel gaps and what not. So then wouldn't gen 6.5 make sense even more? If Kanto is Kalos, and Johto is the Kanto sequels 3 years later, then wouldn't South Kalos~= Johto? And technically even though Kanto and Johto are two generations, they roughly account for a region and a half by today's standards. Together they have like 4 more cities then Unova, and the route count is really off, making 48 routes sound like a lot, but its not when you consider the size.
So basically, I can see them trying to parallel gens 1 AND 2 this gen. They go hand in hand, and having it all in one generation instead of two could prove to be fun. Balance shouldn't be a problem either, I can see them going with level 60 trainers in the routes easily.
The series have only been rebooted once, and that was between the gap between gen 2 and 3.

The only reason why there was only new pokemon in bw is because masuda himself said that he was afraid that bw might end up being too similiar to the gen 4 games.

Also, if Kalos does get expanded to "south Kalos" it wouldn't be exactly a "parallel" to Kanto and Johto. It would just be like BW2, an expansion.

No, balance will be a problem. In fact, it'll be more of a problem than it used to be thanks to the Exp. Share. I finished XY with my team in the low 80's and XY Kalos isn't exactly a huge region. In a two region game you'll pass Lv. 100 easily before finishing the second region.

The odd numbered generations are always a reboot, and the even numbered ones always feel more complete and have all the mons and elements from past gens.

No, balance will be a problem. In fact, it'll be more of a problem than it used to be thanks to the Exp. Share. I finished XY with my team in the low 80's and XY Kalos isn't exactly a huge region. In a two region game you'll pass Lv. 100 easily before finishing the second region.
South Kalos could be roughly Unova sized, with like 3 cities not dedicated to having gyms and 12 routes. I can see it capping off at level 50 or so, leaving Kalos with a good 30-40 levels of headroom to work with. It could be done.

Isn't Generation 6 / Kalos also a parallel to Generation 2 / Johto sort of? Only things I can remember are new type(s), new Eeveelution featuring the new type, and a gym using the new type.

I swear, there's more, but I can't remember.

Reactions: !Z!
South Kalos could be roughly Unova sized, with like 3 cities not dedicated to having gyms and 12 routes. I can see it capping off at level 50 or so, leaving Kalos with a good 30-40 levels of headroom to work with. It could be done.

Kalos itself is about as large as BW2 Unova though, so that's not going to work. South Unova should be about the size of BW2's expansion, around 5-10 new routes and 3-5 new cities.

I was thinking that myself, that it shpuld be a B2W2 sized expansion, but the more I consider it, the more I can see them doing roughly an entirw region. Mu previous poss are a bit off, now that I do think about it. But still, I do believe they can pull off a balance for 1.5 regions to a point where only 3 old gyms are needed, more then B2W2 which had 3 new gyms obly.

Kalos itself is about as large as BW2 Unova though, so that's not going to work. South Unova should be about the size of BW2's expansion, around 5-10 new routes and 3-5 new cities.

Wouldn't say that. Kalos have some long routes, but also some small ones. BW2 Unova routes are mostly decent long and balanced and there are many more caves and optional areas than the Kalos we know about right now.
The size of Kalos is more like Kanto + half of Johto (towns) with some caves, areas etc.

South Kalos with about the size of North Kalos would be awesome though with 35-40 routes and 25-30 towns in one game.

I remember being disappointed there was no in-game event where we can catch Hoopa. Those rings supported the possibility of one. Same goes for the fact there's no Darkrai event on Cresselia's island. Even though the game says there's still something there after you catch Cresselia.

Would be neat if the next game had something like those events.

Technically, you can't catch Hoopa but you can download it from an event. As for Darkrai, it didn't feel right to leave it out of the game when it is clearly part of the duo that it and Cresselia are in. Anyway, Volcanion may unlock something in Z or whatever game(s) is coming our way.

Wouldn't say that. Kalos have some long routes, but also some small ones. BW2 Unova routes are mostly decent long and balanced and there are many more caves and optional areas than the Kalos we know about right now.
The size of Kalos is more like Kanto + half of Johto (towns) with some caves, areas etc.

South Kalos with about the size of North Kalos would be awesome though with 35-40 routes and 25-30 towns in one game.

Unova does have a lot of fairly short ones actually, about half of them are relatively short (1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 19, 22). The only thing BW2 Unova has over Kalos is 1 more route and more extra content. With South Kalos' expansion, Kalos would easily surpass Unova.

i think @Bolt the Cat meant that Kalos, numbers-wise, is about the same size as Unova. which, i mean, they are right about that: Kalos has 16 cities/towns and 22 routes, BW Unova has 14 cities/towns (counting Black City/White Forest as one location since you can't have both) and 18 routes, and BW2 Unova is 19 cities/towns and 23 routes. Kanto-Johto is 20 cities and 48 routes, by far the largest, however this also excludes the fact that there are only a small handful of non-badge settlements (New Bark Town, Cherrygrove City, Lavender Town, and Pallet Town) and that both Kanto and Johto have some routes that aren't really routes (see: Johto Routes 33 and 39, and Kanto Routes....a lot of them: 4, 5, 7, 14, 16, 18, 23, 24).

in terms of traversable size, it can go in a lot of directions. the sort of 'mandatory pass area' (ie., the areas of the route you pass through if you move only forward without backtracking towards the route exit from the entrance) of Kalosian routes is smaller to an extent. that being said, a lot of the routes have fairly sizeable optional areas: for example, Kalos Route 19 is fairly large when you consider the mandatory pass rule. if you were to compare, say Sinnoh Route 215 to Kalos Route 19, you can get different results depending on what you look at. when looking at the routes through the mandatory pass criterion, Route 215 is much larger than Route 19 (not even factoring in size due to differences in tile systems), however when you factor in what you don't have to explore between the two, Route 215 is tiny because you already have to traverse most of the route in comparison to Route 19, which leaves an entire sub-level to be explored.

I've always had it in my mind for some reason that Kalos was the largest main series region to date... I honestly don't know if it is or not, but the reasons I thought it was is because Lumiose is so massive, and because of the Pokedex being devised into 3 "sections".

If it's as large as some people say, I think an expansion would be more likely to happen in "Z" than a whole newly connected region. But either way, I think I would be happy no matter what.

Unova does have a lot of fairly short ones actually, about half of them are relatively short (1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 19, 22). The only thing BW2 Unova has over Kalos is 1 more route and more extra content. With South Kalos' expansion, Kalos would easily surpass Unova.

And still quite many routes in Unova are bigger than Kalos. Route 1 in Kalos isn't even a real route and route 2 could be considered the real route 1 of the region. And Route 3 isn't any bigger and there are still some routes, that are smaller compared to the previous regions like the route right from Goesenge town. I don't mean the length of a route based on squares you walk, but the overall time for exloring everything and battling everyone and how much time you need to walk through the routes if you rush.

I've always had it in my mind for some reason that Kalos was the largest main series region to date... I honestly don't know if it is or not, but the reasons I thought it was is because Lumiose is so massive, and because of the Pokedex being devised into 3 "sections".

Kalos is actually the largest if we talk about how many "squares" the region have. But the rollerskates, the pacing and the easy training just give the feeling that the region is more smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom