• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry man... that's classified Level 7 information.
Would Coulson have clearance for that? (Had to say it.)
Crop circles...

Oh god...

It's a sign of when Hoardes of giant Clefairy, Solorock and Beheeyem will come straight out of the Pacific Ocean off the eastern coast of Japan, and start destroying our cities and probing us with metal rods. Dammit, I figured it out. Game Freak is orchestrating a Poke-invasion, and they'll use Team Flare as their scapegoat when confronted by the United Nations. Don't you get it? That's what the "major announcement that will affect the entire world" is in CoroCoro; it's a message to Earth from a Poke-alien world, asking for our surrender. The Delta Episode was just the tip of the iceberg, you guys.
If that's the case, we got kaiju and I need me a kaiju killer. And I'm looking at you, Golurk. Do your job and protect my anus! I ain't gettin' probed!
I don't know if it's actually used in game or hidden.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slhm-gH_FRQ

Why... why did I listen to that? I'm freaking bawling now. (The last month and a half plus has been tough on me and hearing something like that is just.... it's pushing all the "cry your eyes out" buttons. Slag. :cry:)

But Pokemon Azoth version would work as a title to me. Tie up the loose ends with AZ and Project Azoth. But that will probably never happen, will it? :unsure:

And still quite many routes in Unova are bigger than Kalos. Route 1 in Kalos isn't even a real route and route 2 could be considered the real route 1 of the region. And Route 3 isn't any bigger and there are still some routes, that are smaller compared to the previous regions like the route right from Goesenge town. I don't mean the length of a route based on squares you walk, but the overall time for exloring everything and battling everyone and how much time you need to walk through the routes if you rush.
with the exception of Kanto and Johto, all other regions have roughly the same sized routes. Sinnoh and Hoenn, for example, have fairly long mid-game routes (Routes 119 and 120 in Hoenn, and Routes 210 and 212 in Sinnoh), but are off-set by shorter routes in either the early or end-game (Routes 103, 112, and 122 in Hoenn; and Routes 211, 218, and 222 in Sinnoh).

and again, Kalos does tend to have more optional areas in its routes, such as Route 15 compared to Route 210. you may get through Route 15 entrance to exit faster than Route 210, but there's very little that isn't left unexplored in Route 210 compared to Route 15.

Kalos had the illusion of size and grandiose, but its not all there. Routes 5,7 and 13 are long but spacious and quite empty, routes like 2 and the one after geosenge aren't even routes, just entrances to the cave and forest. And speaking of forests, one route IS a forest. When you get down to technicaliιties and start looking at every little detail, its a very tight race. Edge goes to Unova, as I believe if Unova was in the Kalos engine it would be absolutely massive. Castelia was small likely due to hardware limiations, but seeing what they did with Lumiose it could have easilh dwarfed it
Imagine the rest of the region how big it would be to accomadate Castelia in the Gen 6 region.

And still quite many routes in Unova are bigger than Kalos. Route 1 in Kalos isn't even a real route and route 2 could be considered the real route 1 of the region. And Route 3 isn't any bigger and there are still some routes, that are smaller compared to the previous regions like the route right from Goesenge town. I don't mean the length of a route based on squares you walk, but the overall time for exloring everything and battling everyone and how much time you need to walk through the routes if you rush.

Not really. Beyond those routes Kalos' routes are generally about the same size as if not larger than Unova's larger routes.

Kalos is actually the largest if we talk about how many "squares" the region have. But the rollerskates, the pacing and the easy training just give the feeling that the region is more smaller.

You can't measure region size in that way. Size specifically refers to space, or as you put it, the number of tiles. The rollerskates, pacing, and training are tied to 6th gen's gameplay so it's not really fair to compare them that way. Once we get 5th gen remakes at least 2 of the 3 are probably going to be there anyway.

Does the Gen VI engine make the regions bigger or smaller? I have heard people claiming both. So, who is right?

The only region that has currently been made on both engines is Hoenn. So we should use Hoenn as the example.

I personally feel that ORAS Hoenn is the same size like RSE Hoenn. I don't feel the engine made it bigger or smaller.

I've heard people claiming the water routes and cities like Rustboro, were shortened by the way the Gen VI engine works, and also others saying the region is now bigger. I don't know who is right...

Last edited:
Kalos had the illusion of size and grandiose, but its not all there. Routes 5,7 and 13 are long but spacious and quite empty, routes like 2 and the one after geosenge aren't even routes, just entrances to the cave and forest. And speaking of forests, one route IS a forest. When you get down to technicaliιties and start looking at every little detail, its a very tight race. Edge goes to Unova, as I believe if Unova was in the Kalos engine it would be absolutely massive. Castelia was small likely due to hardware limiations, but seeing what they did with Lumiose it could have easilh dwarfed it
Imagine the rest of the region how big it would be to accomadate Castelia in the Gen 6 region.
seems to be a bit of a double standard here. Route 7 is spacious but overall somewhat empty, yes. however, it is also a pre-second badge route. but then let's look at something like Route 9 in Unova. it's the route to the final city and it's......a straight shot. a literal entrance-to-exit walk with some battles in-between. Kalos's Route 19 has a lot more to do than Route 9-- at least before the post-game.

you can't compare routes without looking at the context that they appear in. Kalos's Route 10 is sort of bland in the grand scheme of it all, but then it's also the first route after your second badge. when taking that into consideration it looks like the vast majority of post-second badge routes.

@Meta Boss: iirc it is bigger in terms of tile count, however, unlike previous generations where you can only move one tile at a time, you can move multiple in Gen VI, making them bigger but also smaller. i think it ultimately evens out. it's something to that effect. it's most noticeable in ORAS because of easily accessible omni-directional movement (which does artificially shorten the water routes).

Last edited:
seems to be a bit of a double standard here. Route 7 is spacious but overall somewhat empty, yes. however, it is also a pre-second badge route. but then let's look at something like Route 9 in Unova. it's the route to the final city and it's......a straight shot. a literal entrance-to-exit walk with some battles in-between. Kalos's Route 19 has a lot more to do than Route 9-- at least before the post-game.

you can't compare routes without looking at the context that they appear in. Kalos's Route 10 is sort of bland in the grand scheme of it all, but then it's also the first route after your second badge. when taking that into consideration it looks like the vast majority of post-second badge routes.

@Meta Boss: iirc it is bigger in terms of tile count, however, unlike previous generations where you can only move one tile at a time, you can move multiple in Gen VI, making them bigger but also smaller. i think it ultimately evens out.
What you are saying is ORAS Hoenn is bigger, but also faster to traverse? In that case the answer is bigger.

I think what should be looked is the proportional size of the PC and NPC's, and that of the region. It's hard to compare the scales though...

If taken into context and we compare routed by placement, Kalos' routes are still shallow and in no way makes the size any different. Especially with Route 3 in Unova. You had the daycarenarea, wellspring cave, which you can go back to, the lake, which you can also go back to, and the small clumps of double battle grass. And in other regions pre second badge routes include:
-Route 3 and Mt Moon
-Ruins and Alph, the Cave before Azalea and the accompanying route
-Granite Cave and the Route after Rustboro
The stretch from Rustboro to Eterna.

Sinnoh is more akin to Kalos in this regard, yet there is so much more going on. Its size in no way makes up for content, and thus makes the region smaller, in a way.

I think Kanto and Johto should count like one region in GSC HGSS. So...

1. Kanjo
2. Hoenn and Shinnoh
3. B2W2
4. Kalos
5 . FRLG Kanto + Sevii

Hoenn and Shinnoh are so vast, that they are almost as big as Kanjo xD

If taken into context and we compare routed by placement, Kalos' routes are still shallow and in no way makes the size any different. Especially with Route 3 in Unova. You had the daycarenarea, wellspring cave, which you can go back to, the lake, which you can also go back to, and the small clumps of double battle grass.
you've ignored it: so Route 3 may be better than Route 7, but then Route 19 makes Route 9 take the piss.

I think Kanto and Johto should count like one region in GSC HGSS. So...

1. Kanjo
2. Hoenn and Shinnoh
3. B2W2
4. Kalos
5 . FRLG Kanto + Sevii

Hoenn and Shinnoh are so vast, that they are almost as big as Kanjo xD

I don't think so. Kanto and Johto are two regions that happen to be connected. All this region size comparing is the result of lack of new speculation and lack of game announcement. Game Freak, when will you release the game(s) so we have something new to talk about?

you've ignored it: so Route 3 may be better than Route 7, but then Route 19 makes Route 9 take the piss.
Route 9 is just an extention of route 8 if you think about it, split off due to tubeline bridge. Iccirus Swamps are cimparable to the side area of Route 19 I feel, so the point is still moot. I like Kalos as a concept, and it has stuff going for it, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to routes and their content, the games absolutely shat the bed. The route count is there, the density isn't, simple as that. Out of the 22 routes, we have:
-5 small connection routes.
-A forest and Desert that aren't actual routes.
-The two Pokemon Riding routes

I don't condemn variety, I actually like the desert and forest, but I do have an issue comparing Kalos to other regions in size because of the changes. Its difficult really to say how big or small Kalos is compared to other regions, but its definitely the sparsest.

I don't think so. Kanto and Johto are two regions that happen to be connected. All this region size comparing is the result of lack of new speculation and lack of game announcement. Game Freak, when will you release the game(s) so we have something new to talk about?
Well, they are counted as one region by certain people. I'm just saying Kanto + Johto are similar in size with ORAS Hoenn and Platinum Shinnoh, thanks to their extra areas (underwater, and lots of Islands in Hoenn, and the Underground in Shinnoh), so they are quite vast

@Mitchman Shallow or not, the fact of the matter is that they're creeping very close to the level cap with XY's content, so there's not a whole lot of room for extra content. Definitely not enough for an entire second region.

Well, they are counted as one region by certain people. I'm just saying Kanto + Johto are similar in size with ORAS Hoenn and Platinum Shinnoh, thanks to their extra areas (underwater, and lots of Islands in Hoenn, and the Underground in Shinnoh), so they are quite vast

People who say Kanto and Johto are one region are just annoyed because of how it was handled. I admit they could of done better with the pokemon levels and stuff but it is still a two region game regardless of what others think. I think it is better just to stick to one region for Z but have smaller new areas to explore.

People who say Kanto and Johto are one region are just annoyed because of how it was handled. I admit they could of done better with the pokemon levels and stuff but it is still a two region game regardless of what others think. I think it is better just to stick to one region for Z but have smaller new areas to explore.
Kanto and Johto are two regions, but a whole common landmass.

Just saw an image that shows in Diancie, Hoopa and Hoopa Unbound's videos that XY or ORAS are specified as the games they would be distributed to but in Volcanion's video no game is specified. Could be nothing or could hint that a new game will be released before (or around) Volcanion's distribution otherwise why bother leaving out that ORAS is the game it will be distributed to? Which would mean early summer release as the movie is July. Not that surprising if it's a return to Kalos because later games don't usually have long pre-release news periods. Don't know if it was mentioned already since so much chatter goes on in here it's hard to remember what has been said.

(Edit: Ok, that video is for western games and not Japanese which the movie distribution will be for, but I don't think it's likely Japanese fans will get Volcanion in ORAS while the rest of us would get it in the new game.)

I wonder if we'll get any new move tutors added like Platinum -> HGSS did. Hopefully Sucker Punch returns if they do add more as Pokemon like Krookodile, Malamar and Pangoro would love it. Wouldn't mind seeing Double-Edge and Body Slam as more options for -ate Pokemon too. Endure and Natural Gift would be cool returnees. I would say Defog too but I don't see that returning until we go back to Sinnoh. In terms of new moves, Belch and Play Rough seem like two that could fit move tutor status.

Route 9 is just an extention of route 8 if you think about it, split off due to tubeline bridge. Iccirus Swamps are cimparable to the side area of Route 19 I feel, so the point is still moot. I like Kalos as a concept, and it has stuff going for it, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to routes and their content, the games absolutely shat the bed. The route count is there, the density isn't, simple as that. Out of the 22 routes, we have:
-5 small connection routes.
-A forest and Desert that aren't actual routes.
-The two Pokemon Riding routes

I don't condemn variety, I actually like the desert and forest, but I do have an issue comparing Kalos to other regions in size because of the changes. Its difficult really to say how big or small Kalos is compared to other regions, but its definitely the sparsest.
if Route 9 is an extension of 8, then Route 8 is an extension of 7 in Kalos and therefore there is no issue. if you still want to consider it that way, Route 8-9 are still very bland compared to Route 19 (well, the Route 9 portion still is at least; Route 8 carries some weight).

if you're condemning Kalos for having small connection routes, you are aware that Unova has a comparable amount, right? Routes 5, 8, 9, 11, and 12 are all connection routes to their respective bridges (which are a whole other mess). i'm not sure why Route 13 and Route 20 are disqualified: they're fully fleshed out (for the most part) for routes. i would be with you on the riding routes to an extent, however it's a new feature in the games and so i don't think two is all that exhausted. though if it's Gen IX and there's a bunch of them (maybe more than three, depending on the region's size), then it'd be too much.

i just can't get my head around how you can condemn Kalos for doing some of the same things that you are praising Unova for. either way, if you want to consider it superficial, Bolt is still right in that there wouldn't really be enough room level-wise for a fairly fleshed out S. Kalos and N. Kalos.

Just saw an image that shows in Diancie, Hoopa and Hoopa Unbound's videos that XY or ORAS are specified as the games they would be distributed to but in Volcanion's video no game is specified. Could be nothing or could hint that a new game will be released before (or around) Volcanion's distribution otherwise why bother leaving out that ORAS is the game it will be distributed to? Which would mean early summer release as the movie is July. Not that surprising if it's a return to Kalos because later games don't usually have long pre-release news periods. Don't know if it was mentioned already since so much chatter goes on in here it's hard to remember what has been said.

(Edit: Ok, that video is for western games and not Japanese which the movie distribution will be for, but I don't think it's likely Japanese fans will get Volcanion in ORAS while the rest of us would get it in the new game.)

That's kind of interesting... where did you see the image? This is something that I kind of had in the back of my head, but wasn't really sure with all the bizzare marketing tactics with Zygarde that we've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom