• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Decline" may be too strong a word for it, but 5th gen was when they started with the casual pandering and oversimplifying the game to the point where even a braindead monkey and isolated a lot of older fans when past gens. It simply wasn't the ideal direction for the series to head in, they could've accomplished what they wanted to with BW in a much better way that wouldn't have pissed off the older fans.
???? don't people claim that BW BW2 are some of the hardest entries in the series tho????

To be honest, Kanto is one of the only regions I don't like much. It's just so plain boring with the generic grassy routes without any structure. They just need to revamp Kanto in every area to make it more interesting.

Unova was kind of similiar to Kanto. Standart grass and mountain routes for the whole region and the dex once more only have 150 pokemon. Still like it more than Kanto and maybe Sinnoh.

I tend to always have at least some struggle against Unova's major bosses like N, Ghetsis, or any one of the Elites, even with type advantages and experience in my favor.

In general, I think 5th Gen actually had some of the best boss design in the entire series. Mostly thanks to BW2 with its various rematches and battle opportunities, because they finally realized that the in-game NPC's (that is, outside of a standardized Battle Frontier/Tower/etc.) can in fact make use of smart Held Item choices and strategies that are fit for competitive battling. Characters like Benga, Colress, BW2 Ghetsis, Champion Iris or N with his seasonal teams are very noteworthy examples of how Pokemon boss battles should look to me. Whoever happened to be the brain behind them all (and the PWT for that matter), I hope they can either come back or get it together for this next installment. The 6th Generation, more specifically the Kalos League, has completely fallen behind on what they had going for the game. Wally is like the one exception.

Last edited:
I tend to always have at least some struggle against Unova's major bosses like N, Ghetsis, or any one of the Elites, even with type advantages and experience in my favor.

In general, I think 5th Gen actually had some of the best boss design in the entire series. Mostly thanks to BW2, because they finally realized that NPC's can in fact make use of smart Held Item choices and strategies that are fit for competitive battling. Characters like Benga, Colress, Champion Iris or N with his seasonal teams are very noteworthy examples of how Pokemon boss battles should look to me. Whoever happened to be the brain behind them all (and the PWT for that matter), I hope they can either come back or get it together for this next installment. The 6th Generation, more specifically the Kalos League, has completely fallen behind on what they had going for the game. Wally is like the one exception.
Not so badass like Wally, but the Battle Court trainers, especially those in the Triple Battle challenge, make wonderful use of items as well. Actually, they use troll strategies like the triple king's rock final boss.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the CoroCoro leaks. I'm just so freakin' scared i'm overhyping this..

I'm looking forward to the CoroCoro leaks. I'm just so freakin' scared i'm overhyping this..

It probably have something about Eternal Floette or Volcanion's new form/mega. I think this corocoro is very over-hyped in my opinion.

It probably have something about Eternal Floette or Volcanion's new form/mega. I think this corocoro is very over-hyped in my opinion.

Well it depends, if it turns about to be a game announcement, the hype is justified, of course. But I have to agree: although Eternal Floette or a Volcanion form/mega is pretty big news, this time, that's just not enough. Especially after the announcement of a reveal that will 'shock the world'.

Had a crazy thought last night looking at the 20th anniversary logo. Imagine if the next game lets you choose ANY starter, including Pikachu. That would be insanity.

#MakeItHappenGameFreak

I was actually really excited about getting two starters in X/Y, but I also want the Kalos starters to shine in the next game. I'm really hoping we get an Ash-Greninja scenario for the Kalis starters in the next game; I feel like that would be more meaningful to the Mega Evolution story than having a Mega Lucario handed to you on a silver platter, one who barely knows you but yet automatically sees you as the Chosen One.

Not everyone knows about Eternal Floette or seeks out/pays attention to leaks so it would be new to them, Game Freak also never acknowledges leaks, so of course they would hype it as something exciting and new. Im not too excited about CoroCoro myself but if the off chance they reveal a brand new Pokemon or something it would be nice.

because marketing is typically done for those that aren't otherwise paying attention. they don't need to tell you (the general you) to pay attention to CoroCoro because you are already probably paying attention to it.
That's true but the last time they used this sort of wording was right before they revealed Mega evolutions. At worse this is confirmation of Az's Floette and Volcanion's new form and at best it's a new Pokémon or something that would be a game changer

Not everyone knows about Eternal Floette or seeks out/pays attention to leaks so it would be new to them, Game Freak also never acknowledges leaks, so of course they would hype it as something exciting and new. Im not too excited about CoroCoro myself but if the off chance they reveal a brand new Pokemon or something it would be nice.

Actually they do, they just don't know that it can be obtained. Everyone already knows Eternal Flower Floette as AZ's Floette, so revealing that it's an obtainable Pokemon wouldn't exactly be that big even to players that don't follow leaked Pokemon.

Honestly, the only things that'd be surprising about Eternal Flower Floette to the people that don't follow leaks would be that it has a signature move called Light of Ruin and the higher base stats. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that we'll be able to obtain it since we have been able to obtain every possible Pokemon in the games somehow.

Actually they do, they just don't know that it can be obtained. Everyone already knows Eternal Flower Floette as AZ's Floette, so revealing that it's an obtainable Pokemon wouldn't exactly be that big even to players that don't follow leaked Pokemon.

People don't know about it being obtainiable as you mention but also they don't know about it's significantly higher Base stats, or signature move though. In addition to those, I think it has more secrets to be revealed.

I've been compulsively checking serebii which is dumb cuz I know nothing will be posted so soon.

Honestly though, I don't even expect too much from corocoro. The only times it seems that they publish something worthwhile is when nobody expects it. Since everybody here is expecting a new game or a new Pokemon or a new lifestyle or gen 6.5 or what have you, I feel like the magazine will have nothing that we don't already know.

Had a crazy thought last night looking at the 20th anniversary logo. Imagine if the next game lets you choose ANY starter, including Pikachu. That would be insanity.

Eevee's a starter (albeit only for your rival in Yellow) and it's not on the logo, so it might not be a choice. Which would be sad.

That's no excuse. Those fans are long gone and not coming back. I don't understand the need to pander to them every single gen. From Kanto remake, to Kanto revisit in HGSS, Kanto rehashing in XY, Kanto revisit in RBGY VC, only Kanto pokemon advertised in Pokemon Go, Kanto pandering again in SB commercial...
The point is, if they have moved on, GF should move on from pandering to them.

Um... What do you expect? It's a commercial for the 20th anniversary of the original Kanto games. And besides, Mega Lucario was in there.

Reactions: !Z!
I don't see how Unova/Gen V brought any decline. It was a great, if somewhat controversial, generation. It brought some good changes.

Apparently even Masuda considered Black & White his magnum opus.
BW and B2W2 are the best games in the series, the games are a masterclass of game design. I am shocked by how many stuff they removed for gen 6.
-exp scaling, which made grinding your Pokemon above and beyond the recommended level near impossible and always had you on your feet trying new stuff out cause of how easy it is to train Pokemon
-Hidden Grottoes, for finding Hidden Ability Pokemon. And no, hordes are not a viable solution. DexNav is pretty cool though.
-Double Battle Grass and Rustling spots. Wild battle variation is always nice. Hordes offer one or more of a certain species, while je double battles would give you two unrelated Pokemon, with higher levels and one of them usually has a low encounter rate.
-Seasons. This one is sort of acceptable, XY would probably have xome out this year if they tried to implement seasons, but I can see them returning next gen.

The only addition they kept was medals of all things, and the DexNav is kinda like the Habitat Dex, but without the same level of satisfaction. And EXP scaling is far superior to the EXP All, its baffling they would take such a thing out.
???? don't people claim that BW BW2 are some of the hardest entries in the series tho????
Not the hardest, just the most satisfying. You can't overpower your team with high levels due to the exp scaling, and you actually have to focus on creating a well rounded team to manage getting yourself to Nimbasa, which is where the games start openining up more. In BW it was a huge change, mostly cause you had no idea what you were getting yourself into when everything was a new species. B2W2 less so thanks to he expanded dex, but the gym leaders do hit hard. Marlon's Jellicent is a wonder to behold when it comes to stalling your ass into a corner.

In general, I think 5th Gen actually had some of the best boss design in the entire series. Mostly thanks to BW2 with its various rematches and battle opportunities, because they finally realized that the in-game NPC's (that is, outside of a standardized Battle Frontier/Tower/etc.) can in fact make use of smart Held Item choices and strategies that are fit for competitive battling. Characters like Benga, Colress, BW2 Ghetsis, Champion Iris or N with his seasonal teams are very noteworthy examples of how Pokemon boss battles should look to me. Whoever happened to be the brain behind them all (and the PWT for that matter), I hope they can either come back or get it together for this next installment. The 6th Generation, more specifically the Kalos League, has completely fallen behind on what they had going for the game. Wally is like the one exception.
B2WW was insane in terms of gym leaders/evil team leader/Legendary Battles. The gyms having signature themes, updated teams for the old leaders, crazy strategies for the new ones. Then you had Ghetsis who went mad from losing to Black/White, and decided to kill you with Kyurem to make sure that you don't meddle when the region is taken over. Colress was also amazing, finding him in the post game to gain access to the DNA splicers was a cool twist.

People don't know about it being obtainiable as you mention but also they don't know about it's significantly higher Base stats, or signature move though. In addition to those, I think it has more secrets to be revealed.
Eternal Floette is definitely something I see having a more prominent role in the next games.

Something we still don't know is the stats for 10% and Complete Zygarde. Not to mention we still haven't seen official Sugimori art of the Cells, Cores, 10% and Complete Forme. AZ's Floette is another one we have neither Sugimori art* or stats... well, the stats we have through hacking, but I'm not counting that.

*Originally, I had seen an image of AZ's Floette that I had mistaken for official Sugimori art, but it turned out to be only a very good fanart.

The only issue with Eternal Floette being "revealed" is...what exactly is there to reveal?

We know about it, we know its story, how it is tied to AZ and what happened to the poor thing. This was all explained to us in X/Y. We saw it appear at the parade they threw where it appeared to AZ and left with him. A meme was made about it.

I don't see an "earth shaking" reveal being a Pokemon we all know about, and saw in-game in an important end-game cutscene. The only thing that really needs revealing is its stats and exclusive move, Light of Ruin.

However, if we revisit Kalos, then I can see Eternal Floette being part of the games' promotional cycle, like the mega Lati/mega Rayquaza were for OR/AS. Whether it'd be an event Pokemon, like Diancie was, or available via a story event, like the Lati were in OR/AS, is debatable.

BW and B2W2 are the best games in the series, the games are a masterclass of game design. I am shocked by how many stuff they removed for gen 6.
-exp scaling, which made grinding your Pokemon above and beyond the recommended level near impossible and always had you on your feet trying new stuff out cause of how easy it is to train Pokemon
-Hidden Grottoes, for finding Hidden Ability Pokemon. And no, hordes are not a viable solution. DexNav is pretty cool though.
-Double Battle Grass and Rustling spots. Wild battle variation is always nice. Hordes offer one or more of a certain species, while je double battles would give you two unrelated Pokemon, with higher levels and one of them usually has a low encounter rate.
-Seasons. This one is sort of acceptable, XY would probably have xome out this year if they tried to implement seasons, but I can see them returning next gen.

The only addition they kept was medals of all things, and the DexNav is kinda like the Habitat Dex, but without the same level of satisfaction. And EXP scaling is far superior to the EXP All, its baffling they would take such a thing out.

5th gen removed a lot more than 6th gen did.

-Regional gadget apps. 5th gen gave us the C Gear, whose only use was for local communication and accessing the DW, which was near useless. Gone were the useful apps from past regional gadgets like the Poketch. Granted the Poketch was full of more than its fair share of duds, but we also lost useful utility apps like the Happiness Checker and Day Care Checker which allowed us to keep better track of things in the game.
-Berry planting. You were very limited in collecting berries in game, and aside from some of the more important ones, you could only get a finite amount of them.
-Decreased HM usage. Now in some ways this was beneficial, true. Reducing HM usage means less time you have to spend hurrying back to a PC to fetch a particular move you need to progress. But outright removing them removes some interesting puzzles and mechanics from the overworld as well, so the game design suffered because of that.
-Secret Bases/Underground.
-Multiple bike types/functions. The Bike in 5th gen is extremely plain, especially compared to 3rd gen's Mach and Acro Bikes and 4th gen's multiple gears. Again removes some interesting puzzles and mechanics from the overworld.
-A full rematch system of some sorts. 5th gen's options for training are pretty limited, you mainly have the sports domes, the Elite 4, and wild Pokemon. Not really enough for a good training session.
-Game Corner. European gambling laws didn't stop them from turning the Game Corner into something more compliant as they did with the Voltorb Flip, so there's no real excuse for this.
-Safari Zone. They really had something with HGSS' customization mechanic, they just needed to tone down the wait times.
-Seals. TBH I don't think many people cared about this, but it was a gameplay feature that was removed, so yeah.
-Battle Frontier. Options for different battling styles have been severely limited since 5th gen, and we have had little to no facilities that actually put a twist on the mechanics.
-Walking with Pokemon. I'll admit this didn't add a lot of gameplay, but it did allow you to bond with your Pokemon on a deeper level, even more so than Pokemon-Amie.
-Contests. We had Musicals, which was a downgraded version of Contests that took away all of the battling and focused on dressing up.

To say they're a "masterclass of game design" is a humongous exaggeration, they're overly simplistic and felt like one step forward, two steps back. And since they've been constantly swapping gameplay features in and out to the point of there being near zero consistency.

Also, I wouldn't say any of those things you mentioned were missable. The EXP system's only real benefit was for grinding Pokemon that were ridiculously lower level than you (which made evolving stuff for the Pokedex a LOT easier), but it didn't do any favors for anything else, which made grinding for the story much more of a pain. Hidden Grottoes rarely produced anything valuable and usually gave you worthless trinkets and Com Mons (which usually came up male, which back in 5th gen was worthless for breeding), whereas with Hordes, the Friend Safari, and the Dex Nav it's easier to find HAs than it was in 5th gen. Double Grass and Rustling Spots were overkill for the distribution and usually either produced the same species you could find in normal grass or handed you ridiculously powerful stuff that you shouldn't be able to catch in the first place (to drive home the point of just how ridiculous this was, you could catch 3 FE pseudo-legends in Rustling Spots). And then Seasons were mainly another encounter gimmick that served to dilute the distribution even further and gated you from certain paths, items, and Pokemon for several RL months. They had good reason to remove those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom