• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steampunk city of Azoth, Volcanion, and Magiana. This is gonna be a funky movie. And yeah, the name is defnitely Ma-Gia-Na when it comes to the structure of the name. So it has something to do with a mechanical Pokemon. Steel/Fairy? Could be interesting.
So going by the potential mechanical theme hinted in the name, I wonder if the bumps on the side of its face are the teeth of a gear (so its head would be a full gear). I guess it could end up being something like Steel/Psychic or Steel/Fairy. Dunno. Hope it looks completely different to most people are guessing though. That was always the fun with the silhouettes and it's sad that they stopped using them.
Gen 7 in 2017 just for the 2 years of silhouettes. I'm ready for the madnesd to be reborn.

And this is just the cover right? So its possible we're not done yet.

But so far, this is great news!

That's it, I'm sold, a mechanical marionette would be too cool. I'm totally subscribing to that idea and getting my hopes up for it.

Anyway I have to go out sadly. I hope you all have fun discussing ~Magiana~ (and be nice to each other for once!).

New Pokemon!!!!

This is all cool but doesn't reveal too much. So:

- Magiana sounds like magic. I am betting for a psychic/normal/fairy bunny.

- So that's the ground breaking news Corocoro promised us? I mean, it definitely is big for us fans, but I don't think a new bunny changes anything in the Pokemon World, and it looks quite ordinary to me.

- the biggest question: what game are we getting?

Annoyingly, this doesn't change anything in our debate:

we could still get a plain Z game, with this Pokemon not included in it, like Munchlax wasn't in Gen III.

We could get a Gen 6.5 in Kalos, with new Pokemon.

And we could get a brand new Generation.

What is more likely at this point?

Last edited:

http://media3.giphy.com/media/IxJMT1ugyBMdy/giphy.gif

Amidst the Magiana madness, I forgot we're getting the movie title in this issue too. Considering the news is said to tie into the movie, my guess is Magiana will be appearing in it, or the short.

- Magiana sounds like magic. I am betting for a psychic/normal/fairy bunny.

it looks quite ordinary to me.

Magiana's japanese letters apparently mean "gears" and "machina". So I'd hazard a guess at Steel. Or a new type.

How can it look ordinary when all we've seen so far is its silhouette?

STEAMPUNK POKEMON. *DROOLS SO HARD IT SHORTS OUT THE KEYBOARD*

Seriously, that'd be amazing. I love Steampunk both as a genre and as an artistic design.

So - is it likely that we're actually gonne see Magiana within the magazine? In the past, how long have they held out on silhouettes before showing us the Pokemon in full colour?

So - is it likely that we're actually gonne see Magiana within the magazine? In the past, how long have they held out on silhouettes before showing us the Pokemon in full colour?
It's likely the magazine will show us the full design along with details of its role in the movie since this is after all major movie news.

NEW POKEMON!

This is great! :'D

I hope they actually show us Maigana, but if they don't, at least we know we're getting a new species. Now the question is if this is 6.5 or 7... Probably 6.5, but I'm still hyped!

http://media3.giphy.com/media/IxJMT1ugyBMdy/giphy.gif

Amidst the Magiana madness, I forgot we're getting the movie title in this issue too. Considering the news is said to tie into the movie, my guess is Magiana will be appearing in it, or the short.

Magiana's japanese letters apparently mean "gears" and "machina". So I'd hazard a guess at Steel. Or a new type.

How can it look ordinary when all we've seen so far is its silhouette?

I mean it doesn't look like a Legendary pokemon, just a common thing you'd encounter in the wild.

I hope this is not a Gen 6.5 confirmation, personally. I would prefer Gen VI or Gen VII.

Gen 6.5 means XY and ORAS would be the only games to be unable to complete the Pokedex in their generation. What a bitchy move that would be. It would also mean all of Masuda's words of "you can complete the Pokedex between XY and ORAS" were false. So I think it's kinda unlikely, although still a possibility.

I just don't know why people keep forgetting about what happened with Munchlax: we could get a Gen VI game next, and Magiana in Gen VII.

Someone pointed out something... What if we were looking at the Strange Souvenir wrong? If you turn it upside-down it kind of looks like a girl with a flower on her head.

I hope this is not a Gen 6.5 confirmation, personally. I would prefer Gen VI or Gen VII.

Gen 6.5 means XY and ORAS would be the only games to be unable to complete the Pokedex in their generation. What a bitchy move that would be. It would also mean all of Masuda's words of "you can complete the Pokedex between XY and ORAS" were false. So I think it's kinda unlikely, although still a possibility.

I just don't know why people keep forgetting about what happened with Munchlax: we could get a Gen VI game next, and Magiana in Gen VII.

Yeah, that's true, though... New Pokemon species would explain the unusual pattern with this pre-release.

The thing is, gen 7 this year is odd, considering what is going in with the redt of the franchise. And we haven't gotten a new Pokemon 2 years from its launch since DP. Why return to that style now?

As for Magiana, a mechanical puppet ir something similar is an amazing idea. I wonder what the color scheme is going to be. Somthing purple? I can see that.

The thing is, gen 7 this year is odd, considering what is going in with the redt of the franchise. And we haven't gotten a new Pokemon 2 years from its launch since DP. Why return to that style now?

As for Magiana, a mechanical puppet ir something similar is an amazing idea. I wonder what the color scheme is going to be. Somthing purple? I can see that.
So are you expecting Gen 6.5?

5th gen removed a lot more than 6th gen did.

-Regional gadget apps. 5th gen gave us the C Gear, whose only use was for local communication and accessing the DW, which was near useless. Gone were the useful apps from past regional gadgets like the Poketch. Granted the Poketch was full of more than its fair share of duds, but we also lost useful utility apps like the Happiness Checker and Day Care Checker which allowed us to keep better track of things in the game.
-Berry planting. You were very limited in collecting berries in game, and aside from some of the more important ones, you could only get a finite amount of them.
-Decreased HM usage. Now in some ways this was beneficial, true. Reducing HM usage means less time you have to spend hurrying back to a PC to fetch a particular move you need to progress. But outright removing them removes some interesting puzzles and mechanics from the overworld as well, so the game design suffered because of that.
-Secret Bases/Underground.
-Multiple bike types/functions. The Bike in 5th gen is extremely plain, especially compared to 3rd gen's Mach and Acro Bikes and 4th gen's multiple gears. Again removes some interesting puzzles and mechanics from the overworld.
-A full rematch system of some sorts. 5th gen's options for training are pretty limited, you mainly have the sports domes, the Elite 4, and wild Pokemon. Not really enough for a good training session.
-Game Corner. European gambling laws didn't stop them from turning the Game Corner into something more compliant as they did with the Voltorb Flip, so there's no real excuse for this.
-Safari Zone. They really had something with HGSS' customization mechanic, they just needed to tone down the wait times.
-Seals. TBH I don't think many people cared about this, but it was a gameplay feature that was removed, so yeah.
-Battle Frontier. Options for different battling styles have been severely limited since 5th gen, and we have had little to no facilities that actually put a twist on the mechanics.
-Walking with Pokemon. I'll admit this didn't add a lot of gameplay, but it did allow you to bond with your Pokemon on a deeper level, even more so than Pokemon-Amie.
-Contests. We had Musicals, which was a downgraded version of Contests that took away all of the battling and focused on dressing up.

To say they're a "masterclass of game design" is a humongous exaggeration, they're overly simplistic and felt like one step forward, two steps back. And since they've been constantly swapping gameplay features in and out to the point of there being near zero consistency.

Also, I wouldn't say any of those things you mentioned were missable. The EXP system's only real benefit was for grinding Pokemon that were ridiculously lower level than you (which made evolving stuff for the Pokedex a LOT easier), but it didn't do any favors for anything else, which made grinding for the story much more of a pain. Hidden Grottoes rarely produced anything valuable and usually gave you worthless trinkets and Com Mons (which usually came up male, which back in 5th gen was worthless for breeding), whereas with Hordes, the Friend Safari, and the Dex Nav it's easier to find HAs than it was in 5th gen. Double Grass and Rustling Spots were overkill for the distribution and usually either produced the same species you could find in normal grass or handed you ridiculously powerful stuff that you shouldn't be able to catch in the first place (to drive home the point of just how ridiculous this was, you could catch 3 FE pseudo-legends in Rustling Spots). And then Seasons were mainly another encounter gimmick that served to dilute the distribution even further and gated you from certain paths, items, and Pokemon for several RL months. They had good reason to remove those things.
By your logic, you're assuming that game freak fully implemented these features and then purposely removed thm. This isn't how video games work and you can't just click one or two button and TADA! Walking pokemon/vs seeker/ wathever is instantly in the game.

In no way the features you mentioned were ever "removed". Rather, somr fans, like you, just assume they were somehow a permanent feature of the series when they really weren't and were never promoted as such.

Guys, take the reveal as you will, but there are four important things to consider:

- Volcanion is being treated as secondary to a new Pokemon, which doesn't need to happen during the middle of a generation. Lucario was revealed after Deoxys' movie with no other Hoenn legendaries to star, and Munchlax didn't steal Deoxys' spotlight.
- This movie will not feature Zygarde at all, which is inappropriate during the year of a Kalos game release.
- XY and ORAS are not fully compatible with each other, so a Zygarde game that includes Magiana wouldn't actually be a mid-generation game. Generation 6.5 should still assume full Pokemon compatibility; if the term "generation" is being redefined, explain this (ctrl F "sixth generation").
- TPCi will no doubt link Magiana to the anniversary celebration.

Last edited:
I don't see how Unova/Gen V brought any decline. It was a great, if somewhat controversial, generation. It brought some good changes.

Apparently even Masuda considered Black & White his magnum opus.
Do you have a source? I always thought Masuda praised Hoenn the most. Not because it's my favourite, but because it was his first original creation at Game Freak, amd the most special one for him.

Personally, the Hoenn, Johto and Unova based games are the best imo. The Johto games weren't his creation, so that leaves Hoenn and Unova as his best creations, at least in my opinion. Both in terms of region design and Lore. The legendary lores of both regions are top class imo.

Last edited:
"Its classification is Man-Made Pokémon. No type has been revealed. Posses a metalic body, text confirms it was 'made by human hands'. It was made over 500 years ago. Volcanion is chasing Magiana, only it knows Magiana's secret."

It seems like Magiana is a Legendary... Also it looks adorable.

corocoro3162.jpg

I was right about the gear head. Looks amazing.

While I agree it would be very unfair to those games, the statement is technically still true. You can complete those games Pokedexes within those four games. Masuda never promised anything about the future.

I don't think Munchlax's anime debut was hyped like this reveal was. It was so long ago, someone would have to check the archives to know for sure.

Do you have a source?

I sadly do not. I'm sure someone in this thread will have it, though.

"Its classification is Man-Made Pokémon. No type has been revealed. Posses a metalic body, text confirms it was 'made by human hands'. It was made over 500 years ago. Volcanion is chasing Magiana, only it knows Magiana's secret."

It seems like Magiana is a Legendary... Also it looks adorable.

Oh my god. POSSIBLE NEW TYPE HYYYYYYPE.

the secret is Magiana stole the movie from Zygarde, ohohohoho

edit:
HOLY SH IT'S SO CUTE

Also, that movie title. It looks like Zygarde really isn't going to make an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom