• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very unlikely that any game characters will appear in the movie. And the presence of the shiny Mega Gardevoir, shiny Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam implies movie-exclusive characters.

How does the poster 'almost confirm' fusion? Nothing is shown there.
Volcanion holding Mag with his arms. I think that whatever connects Ash and Volcanion will be used to achieve the quote on quote fusion hence is why they're keeping the item a secret.

Volcanion holding Mag with his arms. I think that whatever connects Ash and Volcanion will be used to achieve the quote on quote fusion hence is why they're keeping the item a secret.
Or they just unlock separate forms in each other, if the holding means anything beyond "Volcanion is saving Magiana".

I can see them fusing, but I don't understand why anyone should find it a good idea.

Or they just unlock separate forms in each other, if the holding means anything beyond "Volcanion is saving Magiana".

I can see them fusing, but I don't understand why anyone should find it a good idea.
I think we're both on to something silk. Honestly I had no real opinion on Mag until I saw that drawing and then it just made too much sense to me. I can't shake it now.

For anyone wondering how "Magiana" is pronounced, the official Pokémon will show this in three days time:

Magiana
(mah-geea-nah)

Aaaaaanyways... as I stated earlier, there doesn't have to be another Kalos game to "wrap up the generation", it can be all wrapped up in the seventh generation games. This is a change! Something that no-one would ever see coming. And hey, in three days time when Magiana is revealed on Pokémon.com on February 14th, here I will be saying this, this is just a sneak peak at my future:
Platinum Lucario said:
See? I tooooooooooooold yoooooooooooou!!! I knew this was going to happen. Magiana has been revealed in the news section on Pokémon.com, no movie teaser or movie announcement in English or even a video of it in any game. And it even states on Pokémon.com that it is a Mythical Pokémon. And who knows? It could be the "Victini" of seventh generation. XD

Last edited:
Where are people getting the idea that Volcanion is holding Magiana in the latest movie poster? It's clearly just showing Magiana being positioned in front of Volcanion. Unless there's another image I'm missing or something...

In regards to how our new robot bunny ties into the future of the franchise, at this stage I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Magiana is simply intended to be the final Mythical Pokémon of Generation 6; but just wasn't conceptualised until after work on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire was completed. After all, if people hadn't data-mined X/Y at launch, the circumstances surrounding it and Volcanion wouldn't be any different. Either that, or Magiana is the first Mythical Pokémon of Generation 7 and its primary pair is planned to launch sometime before next year's movie (could be a reverse-Victini, where we get its movie before its game and distribution months later).

I think a larger Generation 6.5 expansion is probably the least likely theory at the moment; especially when they could just hold back potential new Pokémon designs a little longer and integrate them into a larger Generation 7. There could always be the argument that 6.5 would be a stop-gap to give GameFreak time to explore what they could do with the NX, but after Black/White there's no requirement for GameFreak to jump on the latest hardware; Generation 7 could just as easily be bound for the Nintendo 3DS.

A few thoughts:

- So ORAS event mentions capturing Volcanion? Does this mean Volcanion will be catchable in game?

- Kiloude definitely implies there is more Southern Kalos than Kiloude. That's what an example is.

- Seafoam islands do count as desert islands, imo.

Reactions: !Z!
Generation 7 on the 3DS is not gonna fly for Nintendo I believe. I brought this point up in a convo, and I'm gonna say it here too:
I do not see the game having support for connectivity until next year, with the beta and softnlaunch taking up the majority of its launch year. More so, while it is an independent operation from Nintendo's offerings, I would assume My Nintendo support and compability will be chased for it. How can they support My Nintendo compatibility, when the 3DS is getting the bare minimum of the online service, as its not built for it, whereas NX Handheld would be a main platform for it? Conjecture, yes, but as much as Pokemon is its own entity, it still falls under the same umbrella. Basically, Nintendo sees mobile as a companion to their platforms, and Go is a perfect candidate for a Companion Tier Game. No way would they want to have that level of accessability to a new userbase just waiting to be advertised their new handheld squandered for a couple of years because the Flagship Tier games they connect to are on their previous handheld. It would be insanity to let it fly.

To summarize:
Pokemon Gen 7 on 3DS till 2019
Or
Pokemon Gen 7 on NX Handeld till 2020 or so.
Which one would make the most sense for Nintendo to support.
The one that would entice people to buy a 3DS to Transfer over their GoMon to Gen 7 and thus not neccesitate a NX Handheld till 2019 or
The one that would bring a fuckton of the mobile userbase to consider buying the new fangled sparkly Nintendo Handheld? I think we know the answer on that.

Last edited:
If field isn'tnthe geographical definiton used, I wonder what they could mean then. Does it have to do with a new gameplay mechanic? A new subset of Pokemon, like sound, which has some exclusive moves and such?

So far I can think of...

- New type (though, it looks Steel/Fairy, so that'd be a huge surprise)
- Mythical Pokemon being revealed before the announcement of it's Generation (assuming it's Generation 7)
- Pokemon released in the middle of a Generation

The one that would bring a fuckton of the mobile userbase to consider buying the new fangled sparkly Nintendo Handheld? I think we know the answer on that.
Newsflash: Go is being released this year (sooner rather than later given next month's event) and Masuda said that he's considering compatibility with the next main series game. Go will play a role in encouraging mobile users to buy a 3DS for this year's main series release. Those same users are unlikely to buy a new system just a year later.

Platinum Lucario, I do not think you are a Lucario at all. I think you are a psychic type, because there's no other way you could possibly see into the future like that :p

In other news...I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it! We're gonna get a new game soon and I think I like it!

(oh yeah!)

I think people are not paying attention to one important detail. Magiana is an event Pokemon. It makes no sense to reveal a Mythical Pokémon as a teaser for a new game, or generation, because it's not gonna be in game obtainable anyway, so it makes more sense to show a starter or a legendary to tease the fans. Not something that's not gonna be in the new game anyway.

Unless they decide to follow what happened with Deoxys in the Delta Episode and make one event in game obtainable every game. Which would be awesome, but highly unlikely.

What I mean is, we should remember, GF doesn't advertise new games and new Pokemon for us. They advertise them for the more casual fans that don't look at what hackers found. So, we should try to look at all the new info from the casual player's side:

For the majority of fans, theris no difference between Volcanion and Magiana. Some days ago Volcanion was discovered! And yesterday, Magiana was discovered! For the vast majority of players, both are newly discovered Pokemon. And both are events. They would get distributed whenever they decide, and don't confirm/ deconfirm a new Kalos game or a new generation.

Ultimately, it's more likely that Magiana was just better hidden than the rest, and is a Gen VI Pokemon. Until this is debunked, it is the most logical assumption.

Edit: Yes, I have been shown illegal Hoopas and Volcanions for ages on the PSS trades, and no Magianas. But still, it could not be a gen 6.5 or 7 thing at all.

Last edited:
I think people are not paying attention to one important detail. Magiana is an event Pokemon. It makes no sense to reveal a Mythical Pokémon as a teaser for a new game, or generation, because it's not gonna be in game obtainable.

Unless they decide to follow what happened with Deoxys in the Delta Episode and make one event in game obtainable every game. Which would be awesome, but highly unlikely.

What I mean is, we should remember, GF doesn't advertise new games and new Pokemon for us. They advertise them for the more casual fans that don't look at what hackers found. So, we should try to look at all the new info from the casual player's side:

For the majority of fans, thete is no difference between Volcanion and Magiana. Some days ago Volcanion was discovered! And yesterday, Magiana was discovered! For the vast majority of players, both are newly discovered Pokemon. And both are events. They would get distributed whenever they decide, and don't confirm/ deconfirm a new Kalos game or a new generation.

Ultimately, it's more likely that Magiana was just better hidden than the rest, and is a Gen VI Pokemon. Until this is debunked, it is the most logical assumption.

Edit: Yes, I have been shown illegal Hoopas and Volcanions for ages on the PSS trades, and no Magianas. But still, it could not be a gen 6.5 or 7 thing at all.
When you look at it like that, sure. Both are event pokemon, both are obtainable at this point of time, and it could be argued from a casual standpoint that its all gen 6.
Newsflash: Go is being released this year (sooner rather than later given next month's event) and Masuda said that he's considering compatibility with the next main series game. Go will play a role in encouraging mobile users to buy a 3DS for this year's main series release. Those same users are unlikely to buy a new system just a year later.
From interviews Masuda has said that theu are considering ways of connecting with the main games, not considering ways for the next main games. Its entirely possible that Go will be in the early stages of its launch by the time the next iteration comes along, and things won't be entirely there for it to work yet. And again, I would find it to make more sense for the connection between the Main Series and Go to encourage sales of Nintendo's next handheld, not the one that is slowly being replaced.

From interviews Masuda has said that theu are considering ways of connecting with the main games, not considering ways for the next main games. Its entirely possible that Go will be in the early stages of its launch by the time the next iteration comes along, and things won't be entirely there for it to work yet.
Masuda: "Of course, at the same time, I'm also thinking up ways that this project might connect with the next entry in the main series Pokémon games. 2016 marks the 20th year since Pokémon was born. It's going to be a very meaningful year for me, and I am really excited to be able to participate in this project. I hope everyone will also be excited for Pokémon GO."

He couldn't have made it clearer that he wants Go to play a role this year in connection to the main series.

And again, I would find it to make more sense for the connection between the Main Series and Go to encourage sales of Nintendo's next handheld, not the one that is slowly being replaced.
Mobile users are far more likely to buy a 2DS or another 3DS variant after a price cut, than a brand new system.

It's almost confirmed with the poster imo and it shows that GF still know how to genuinely surprise and think ahead. As for why it fuses I suppose it's just Vocanion's gimmick more less and it ties into its friendship with the new Mon. Perhaps that thing connecting Ash and Volcanion is was allows him to fuse with Magnia

It's a gimmick that doesn't make sense. Again if Magiana was meant to fuse with Volcanion then the opening on its lower half would've been pyramid-shaped but it's not. The only thing that fits there is its own ear-things. Same with Volcanion's cannons, if Magiana's arms where to go in there then it wouldn't be able to attack. That "fusion" would be more of a hindrance than a power-up. Also why do you assume that whatever connects Ash and Volcanion will be anything more than a plot device? Heck, why do you assume Volcanion will have anything to do with Magiana in the games? It wouldn't be the first time the anime gives a connection to Pokemon that are otherwise unrelated in the games.

That's what you call "almost confirmed"? I don't even see where you got that from. Magiana is clearly just floating in front of Volcanion.

It's a gimmick that doesn't make sense. Again if Magiana was meant to fuse with Volcanion then the opening on its lower half would've been pyramid-shaped but it's not. The only thing that fits there is its own ear-things. Same with Volcanion's cannons, if Magiana's arms where to go in there then it wouldn't be able to attack. That "fusion" would be more of a hindrance than a power-up. Also why do you assume that whatever connects Ash and Volcanion will be anything more than a plot device? Heck, why do you assume Volcanion will have anything to do with Magiana in the games? It wouldn't be the first time the anime gives a connection to Pokemon that are otherwise unrelated in the games.

That's what you call "almost confirmed"? I don't even see where you got that from. Magiana is clearly just floating in front of Volcanion.

Oh come on, they have a far closer connection than previous legendary pairings. Both mythical Pokemon first time ever, both mechanical, the secret is actually inside Magiana's body according to Pokebeach of which only Volcanion knows.

The device could be a simple throwaway plot device or it could be like the Prison Bottle was.

Next to your highlighted text is the word might. The quote sounds like he wants to do it, sure. But the word might suggests that perhaps theu have reasons not to. As for mlbile users, its a market which relies and expects them to shell out exorbitant amounts of money for a phone almost anually. You're tellinge if they make it enticing enough to shell out roughly 200 bucks to have Pokemon proper and some other games?

Masuda: "Of course, at the same time, I'm also thinking up ways that this project might connect with the next entry in the main series Pokémon games. 2016 marks the 20th year since Pokémon was born. It's going to be a very meaningful year for me, and I am really excited to be able to participate in this project. I hope everyone will also be excited for Pokémon GO."

He couldn't have made it clearer that he wants Go to play a role this year in connection to the main series.

Mobile users are far more likely to buy a 2DS or another 3DS variant after a price cut, than a brand new system.

You realise Masuda is trying to win them back, not seriously p*** them off. If I have been lured back to the franchise, and buy a whole new console just to play these games (I really doubt anyone actually would, I think Pokemon are flawed in this approach) only to then release a brand new console later on in the year, or next year.

People would go from laissez faire towards Pokemon/Nintendo to outright hate.

Oh come on, they have a far closer connection than previous legendary pairings. Both mythical Pokemon first time ever, both mechanical, the secret is actually inside Magiana's body according to Pokebeach of which only Volcanion knows.

The device could be a simple throwaway plot device or it could be like the Prison Bottle was.

Volcanion is mechanical? Since when? That secret Volcanion knows could be nothing more than a way to connect the Pokemon in the movie. That doesn't necessarily mean the same will apply to the games, just like how Keldeo isn't required to defeat Kyurem in the games. And the fact that both are mythical doesn't really make their connection far closer than other pairings.

@Mitchman - I hope that GameFreak are preparing a brand new main-series entry for the NX's launch period or window and that Iwata or Kimishima have spoken to Masuda about how the 3DS' lacklustre launch could have been positively impacted if they had waited six months and had Black/White as launch titles...but as this is Nintendo and GameFreak we're talking about, so it's probably better to remain cautiously pessimistic until proven otherwise :p.

Your suggestion does contain awful lot of conjecture (which you have admitted) considering that we don't really know how any game consoles will incorporate Nintendo Account or the My Nintendo rewards system yet; especially as Nintendo have strongly suggested that My Nintendo's Platinum Points will only apply to mobile games (and heck, we don't even know if they'll apply to Pokémon Go or just the titles developed under the DeNA agreement yet). Masuda has made comments about wanting to investigate the possibility of future connectivity between Go and the next main series game, but we don't know if that is a certainty yet - after all, Masuda may have realised that what he wanted to do was technically impossible or something (especially given that the next main series game is most likely a Nintendo 3DS one).

Nintendo will likely want to continue supporting the 3DS until at least a year following the launch of its successor; after all, not everyone will buy the NX at launch and the 3DS has a pretty sizeable install base, so a new era with a similar length to Generation II could be on the cards. To reiterate, I do personally want Generation 7 to launch for the 3DS' successor next year; but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo/GameFreak choose to stick with the 3DS for now instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom