• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Volcanion is mechanical? Since when? That secret Volcanion knows could be nothing more than a way to connect the Pokemon in the movie. That doesn't necessarily mean the same will apply to the games, just like how Keldeo isn't required to defeat Kyurem in the games. And the fact that both are mythical doesn't really make their connection far closer than other pairings.

In 19 years of movies we've never had 2 mythicals star, let alone debut alongside each other.

As for "since when is Volcanion mechanical?" have you seen the trailers of it in action? It's clearly artificial/mechanical, just look at those arms and inside them when they open. Even the in game events mention it having an artificial organ not possible in ordinary Pokemon ecology. (Though this could be Magiana as theorised above)

Why do people keep insisting the NX is a handheld? It could replace the Wii U, and not the 3DS, for all we know.

It was said that the NX is going to connect with handhelds and smartphones, but it doesn't mean it will replace them. I don't know why people keep insisting in how the NX will replace the 3DS.

Why do people keep insisting the NX is a handheld? It could replace the Wii U, and not the 3DS, for all we know.

It was said that the NX is going to connect with handhelds and smartphones, but it doesn't mean it will replace them. I don't know why people keep insisting in how the NX will replace the 3DS.

Actually I'm pretty sure they confirmed it wasn't a successor to the Wii U, but didn't mention anything about the 3ds. (Could be wrong, but pretty sure that's what happened)

Next to your highlighted text is the word might. The quote sounds like he wants to do it, sure. But the word might suggests that perhaps theu have reasons not to.
It suggests that he can't say what an unannounced game will definitely do.

As for mlbile users, its a market which relies and expects them to shell out exorbitant amounts of money for a phone almost anually. You're tellinge if they make it enticing enough to shell out roughly 200 bucks to have Pokemon proper and some other games?
They're fine paying a lot for smartphones which offer them an almost unlimited amount of affordable apps and games, but that hardly means that they're willing to pay a lot a separate device whose games aren't cheap. The 2DS should fit these

!Z! said:
You realise Masuda is trying to win them back, not seriously p*** them off. If I have been lured back to the franchise, and buy a whole new console just to play these games (I really doubt anyone actually would, I think Pokemon are flawed in this approach) only to then release a brand new console later on in the year, or next year.
Newsflash: They're already making them buy a 3DS for the VC games, which should appeal to Go's target audience. This suggests that Game Freak and TPC have no problem with these returning fans not buying the NX next year, which should mean sticking to the 3DS for Generation VII.

Actually I'm pretty sure they confirmed it wasn't a successor to the Wii U, but didn't mention anything about the 3ds. (Could be wrong, but pretty sure that's what happened)

Some people even suggested the NX is not a console but a Global online service, that will connect handheld users, Wii U users, and Smartphone users. It doesn't mean it's a common console for all of them.

People shouldn't even assume that Pokemon will be played on the NX.

It suggests that he can't say what an unannounced game will definitely do.

They're fine paying a lot for smartphones which offer them an almost unlimited amount of affordable apps and games, but that hardly means that they're willing to pay a lot for other things.

Newsflash: They're already making them buy a 3DS for the VC games, which should appeal to Go's target audience. This suggests that Masuda has no problem with not making them buy the NX next year, which should mean sticking to the 3DS for Generation VII.

How is he making them buy a 3ds for VC games? The Super bowl trailer, didn't really advertise anything (maybe Pokemon Go) but certainly not VC releases. You're really clutching at straws here.

How is he making them buy a 3ds for VC games? The Super bowl trailer, didn't really advertise anything (maybe Pokemon Go) but certainly not VC releases. You're really clutching at straws here.
Did I mention the trailer? It goes without saying that they would want "returning fans" to buy the original games. And as it happens, the trailer just needed to remind them of Kanto, which it did.

Didn't they say the same thing with the DS not being a successor to the GBA? Or it was two different consoles, don't remember, but yeah.

Did I mention the trailer? It goes without saying that they would want "returning fans" to buy the original games. And as it happens, the trailer just needed to remind them of Kanto, which it did.

So if your not talking about the trailer, what are you referring to? How else are the ones who left the series and haven;t bought a 3ds yet going to find out about Go and VC releases. There is no ad campaign for the VC releases, at least not a global one. So how can you claim he is trying to lure them in and force them to buy a 3DS?

So if your not talking about the trailer, what are you referring to? How else are the ones who left the series and haven;t bought a 3ds yet going to find out about Go and VC releases. There is no ad campaign for the VC releases, at least not a global one. So how can you claim he is trying to lure them in and force them to buy a 3DS?
The trailer is an advertisement for the franchise as a whole. It ends with the URL of the anniversary website, which advertises both Go and the VC games.

There can and should be a more direct form of advertisement closer to the 27th.

The current consensus is that the NX will serve as a replacement for both the 3DS and Wii U; with some suggesting it will be an infrastructure shared across multiple devices such as Apple's iOS. Both a "Handheld NX" and a "Console NX" have been rumoured for some time now.

In 19 years of movies we've never had 2 mythicals star, let alone debut alongside each other.

I am aware of that but I still don't think it's an indication they have a special connection in the games.

As for "since when is Volcanion mechanical?" have you seen the trailers of it in action? It's clearly artificial/mechanical, just look at those arms and inside them when they open. Even the in game events mention it having an artificial organ not possible in ordinary Pokemon ecology. (Though this could be Magiana as theorised above)

Yes I have and they don't seem any more mechanical to me than Magmortar's arm-cannons with their retractable claws. The in-game event mentions it having an "unheard of organ" not an "artificial organ not possible in ordinary Pokemon ecology". Totally not the same.

The trailer is an advertisement for the franchise as a whole. It ends with the URL of the anniversary website, which advertises both Go and the VC games.

So just to be clear you think there is a large body of people who will see the trailer, and be like "oh I remember Pokemon" then jump on the computer and go to this website, then spend around 200 on a console they don't already own, to buy a 10 VC game they played back in the day, and these same people will then be perfectly fine when they realise this new console they bought will be made obsolete in what is now effectively a matter of months?

So just to be clear you think there is a large body of people who will see the trailer, and be like "oh I remember Pokemon" then jump on the computer and go to this website, then spend around 200 on a console they don't already own, to buy a 10 VC game they played back in the day, and these same people will then be perfectly fine when they realise this new console they bought will be made obsolete in what is now effectively a matter of months?
Just to be clear, you think that this commercial was giant waste of money? It certainly wasn't meant for fans like us. I don't know whether or not it succeeded, but they had a plan. People were excited about the Go trailer in September just thanks to social media.

They clearly want people to look at the anniversary website. And nothing says that the 3DS will soon be obsolete as far as Pokemon is concerned.

I am aware of that but I still don't think it's an indication they have a special connection in the games.

Yes I have and they don't seem any more mechanical to me than Magmortar's arm-cannons with their retractable claws. The in-game event mentions it having an "unheard of organ" not an "artificial organ not possible in ordinary Pokemon ecology". Totally not the same.

We're both kinda right and wrong the exact quote is "That kind of organ is unheard of in the ecology of Pokemon, but Volcanion may have it" which to me certainly implies it's outside natural ecology.

Just to be clear, you think that this commercial was giant waste of money? It certainly wasn't meant for fans like us. I don't know whether or not it succeeded, but they had a plan. People were excited about the Go trailer in September just thanks to social media.

They clearly want people to look at the anniversary website. And nothing says that the 3DS will soon be obsolete as far as Pokemon is concerned.

Yes actually, I've said this before, it looked like one big vanity project. Any feelings of nostalgia it stirred up would have long diminished and disappeared by the time Go or the next main series game is released.

It didn't actually advertise anything, and ignoring all the little hints and easter eggs, the actual Pokemon themselves were on screen for like 10 seconds. They flashed the anniversary site up, but didn't even suggest towards VC releases.

At best, I think they probably increased traffic on certain illegal sites allowing people to play old games.

The trailer did get a lot of youtube views, but that could just as easily have been fans like you and me watching it rather than some old player suddenly feeling the hype.

As for the actual event itself, I've not heard or seen one person who watched the super bowl mention the Pokemon ad (they did when the initial Go trailer was out last year), 4 days on, I think any who did have already moved on, it's not like this trailer is played repeatedly, or there's any other sort of ad campaign.

Last edited:
The current consensus is that the NX will serve as a replacement for both the 3DS and Wii U; with some suggesting it will be an infrastructure shared across multiple devices such as Apple's iOS. Both a "Handheld NX" and a "Console NX" have been rumoured for some time now.
Just rumors however. I think Nintendo will be smart enough to create two consoles, and sell two consoles, and therefore win more money. Forcing handheld users to buy a home console, and viceversa, is plain stupid.

I think the NX will replace the Wii U as a home console, and that the 3DS line, and smartphones, will both be able to connect to the NX, the new home console.

Last edited:
I imagine that the core target audience for the Generation I Virtual Console releases are existing 3DS-owning Pokémon fans who are either older and want to feel nostalgic or younger and curious to see where it all began. The only aspect of their release that strikes me as an attempt at appealing to non-current owners are the Japanese and European 2DS bundles; by using the cheapest hardware variant in a specified bundle to significantly lower the cost of entry.

Just rumors. I think Nintendo will be smart enough to create two consoles, and sell two consoles. Forcing handheld users to buy a home console, and viceversa, is plain stupid.
You misunderstand. I'm not suggesting that the NX will be a single unit like a hybrid but rather, there will be entirely separate hardware models that simply run on the same architecture; with a relationship similar to the iPhone and iPad. So gamers could still choose to purchase a handheld or home console, but the two would share a closer relationship than their predecessors, such as the same Virtual Console library or even some NX games.

I think the NX will replace the Wii U, and that the 3DS line, and smartphones, will both be able to connect to the NX, the new home console.
If any of Nintendo's consoles need to be replaced, it's the Nintendo 3DS. It's technology was old when it launched five years ago and it's ancient by today's standards.

Reactions: !Z!
Just rumors however. I think Nintendo will be smart enough to create two consoles, and sell two consoles, and therefore win more money. Forcing handheld users to buy a home console, and viceversa, is plain stupid.

I think the NX will replace the Wii U as a home console, and that the 3DS line, and smartphones, will both be able to connect to the NX, the new home console.

The N64 was only compatible with GameBoy, the GameCube was only compatible with GameBoy Advance, the Wii was only compatible with the DS, and so far the Wii U is only compatible with the 3DS, so I really doubt the NX if it replaces the Wii U will have 3DS connectivity, the 3DS is 5 years old already, the DS lasted just slightly over 6, and the 3DS isn't even anyhere near as popular as the DS was, and the Wii U has sadly bombed. (I don;t see why, but oh well) so I really cant see how they are going to squeeze another generation onto the 3DS, especially as most consider it a big mistake how they handled Gen 5.

We still got the new 3DS.

But from what I gather, It'll either a sign that Nintendo left the console business to cut manufacturer cost and focus on cloud services, like Steam and Origin, or an entirely new console to replace both the WiiU and the 3DS, like the Steambox or Ouya. Either way, it seems that Nintendo demands Game Freak to develop an new game for that service/console as a launch/flagship title.

Last edited:
especially as most consider it a big mistake how they handled Gen 5.
If people consider releasing gen 5 on the ds a ''mistake'' that's their problem. Masuda himself said they wanted to make two pokemon ''sequels''(which can be interpreted as a generation here) for the ds because of it's grooming popularity back then. If the nx will not replace both the 3ds and wii u, then it's likely that the next generation will be on the 3ds.
Dr. Mecha said:
We still got the new 3DS.
Which is considerably outnumbered by 3ds sales by almost ~48 millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom