• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it surprising how some fans are never satisfied with the current state of the games. The graphical/engine jump between Gen V and VI is the biggest jump the franchise has ever experienced, and people are still complaining and want the next engine as soon as possible, and treating the 3DS like shit. I really can't understand this attitude. Sure, the next console will eventually come and perfect the current engine even further, but what's the hurry?

Also, like @Mitchman has said, don't expect something huge. The improvement between Gen VI and future games will be much smaller, than the one between pre Gen VI and VI.

It's just the same situation like with Gen V. All the complaining for why it wasn't on the 3DS, when Gen V had fine graphics and power already. I wasn't part of the online comunity back then, but I can only imagine the amount of shit Gen V had to endure xD

Last edited:
Actually, I'm starting to believe that now with both 3DS and WiiU titles are up for digital distribution, the NX will take full advantage of the MNN (my Nintendo network) cloud services. It's more of the next logical step from the WiiU gimmicks; play your games both in and away from home. Sure it would be underpowered compared to current day PCs, but think about it as a Ouya that sync with your games on your smartphones and tablets; Hell, I bet that it'll be a supertablet, with state-of-the-art processors and graphics cards for an intense gaming experience.

And the Pokémon franchise will take full advantage of it, with its PokéBank serving as a link between generations of future games to come. Hell, they don't even need third versions or sequels for said generations; they'll introduce expansion packs on the 2 versions they got.

Volcanion is mechanical? Since when? That secret Volcanion knows could be nothing more than a way to connect the Pokemon in the movie. That doesn't necessarily mean the same will apply to the games, just like how Keldeo isn't required to defeat Kyurem in the games. And the fact that both are mythical doesn't really make their connection far closer than other pairings.

Volcanion looks 100% like something from a robot anime. It's nostrils even have that metal-plate-with-holes look that's a staple of Japanese robot design.

Reactions: !Z!
Well, I have always admired how relatively conservative Game Freak have always been with their Pokemon games, and I hope they continue like that in the future.

All those modernizations some fans constantly want, kinda disturb me, personally. If something is fine the way it is, then don't fix it.

Small improvements where they are NEEDED is all fine, but only where it's required.

I wasn't part of the online comunity back then, but I can only imagine the amount of shit Gen V had to endure xD

You have no idea... even when the OFFICIAL WEBSITE clearly shown that BW were for the DS, people were in denial about it and insisted that it "wasn't confirmed" and that it would be for the 3DS.

I find it surprising how some fans are never satisfied with the current state of the games. The graphical/engine jump between Gen V and VI is the biggest jump the franchise has ever experienced, and people are still complaining and want the next engine as soon as possible, and treating the 3DS like shit. I really can't understand this attitude. Sure, the next console will eventually come and perfect the current engine even further, but what's the hurry?

Also, like @Mitchman has said, don't expect something huge. The improvement between Gen VI and future games will be much smaller, than the one between pre Gen VI and VI.

It's just the same situation like with Gen V. All the complaining for why it wasn't on the 3DS, when Gen V had fine graphics and power already. I wasn't part of the online comunity back then, but I can only imagine the amount of shit Gen V had to endure xD
The jump to gen 6 is also exactly why Gen 7 on the NX can happen so easily compared to the jump to the DS or the jump to 3DS. Nintendo's first and second parties are already rumored to have their devkits, and GF has always been one of the first developers in this case. That gives them at the most a good year and a half with development. The bulk of the 3D models are already finished, and I can assume Gen 7 would have somewhere in the ballpark of 130 new Pokemon/Megas, which don't have to necessarily be done after any Devkits have been handed out. What I mean by this, is that in that department at least, everything in Gen 6 regarding em will be reused, as we know that they are more then sufficient, even excessive for the 3DS.
Then, when it comes to the engine, I have several doubts that we are going to see a new one, thanks to diminishkng returns. Pokemon in 3D, is well, Pokemon in 3D. We already know free movement is possible, and they don't have to adhere to a grid if they wish. More so the optimization of XY's engine will likely be relstively easy, and I can assume porting it over won't be impossible. Another thing I have already gone over, is that even in the texture department, the engine is more then capable. If you download the texture packs from the game, you'd be amazed how much everything is compressed for the 3DS' resolution, and how good everything can look at an HD Resolution.
Lastly, GF went through a merger. A small mobile company, but they have expanded a lot since the last couple of years. They essily have the manpower to get a gamenfor the NX out.

Basically, the XY is capable, and built to be futureproof in many ways. A 2016 game in June for the end of Gen 6, and Gen 7 in late 2017 is definitely feasible.

It was more a problem for Nintendo, of which Game Freak, while not being the same as, are a part of. They had their brand new console floating around in stores for almost 3 years before their biggest selling franchise had put a game on there. That's a long time when you consider the lifespan of these handheld consoles. That had to have harmed sales, and indeed the 3DS took ages to pick up and didn't do as well as the DS or even half as well.
They wouldn't have made them on the 3ds anyway since they only got the dev kits for the 3ds in 2010 whereas BW started developpement in 2008.

You have no idea... even when the OFFICIAL WEBSITE clearly shown that BW were for the DS, people were in denial about it and insisted that it "wasn't confirmed" and that it would be for the 3DS.
Oh, really? That reminds me of the Battle Frontier attitude of some (not many) fans.

Fans: "Wh- wh- what? No Battle Frontier in ORAS?" They better add it in DLC.

Masuda: "The Battle Frontier isn't interesting for today players"

Fans: "Nah, he will add it anyway. DLC is sure to come".

Masuda: "We don't do DLC"

Fans: " Ok, so Delta Emerald is a fact then"

Masuda: "The Delta Episode is basically a homage of Emerald already."

Fans: " So, when is Delta Emerald going to be released?"

Seriously LOL We need to learn to enjoy the games.

Last edited:
Maybe something like:

Generation 6 Finale: June 2016 on 3DS
Generation 7 Debut: March 2017 on 3DS
Generation 7 Finale: November 2017 on 3DS
Generation 8 Debut: November 2018 on NX

In which case, you could adjust my above estimate to something like:

Generation 6 Finale: June 2016 on 3DS
Generation 7 Debut: March 2017 on 3DS
Generation 7 DLC: November 2017 on 3DS
Generation 8 Debut: November 2018 on NX

Either way, that would make Generation 7 the shortest generation so far; with Generation II being 5 months longer.

Um actually that Math doesn't work out, Generation 2 was 3 years long, almost exactly to the day. Nov 21st 1999 to Nov 22nd 2002, and this 3 year gen is the shortest gen ever your proposals for Gen 7 are both 20 months each, so not even 2 years. In fact, it's almost half, (18 months would be half) of the shortest ever. That to me just seems completely Farfetch'd

I could see a proposed Gen 6.5 lasting around 18 to 20 months however. So a June 2016 release for Gen 6.5 and a Gen 7 debut in October 2017 (which is around when all generations debut in Japan)

XY introduce gen 6 pokemon, mega evolutions, Fairy types, etc. ORAS made Deoxys available, Southern Island is part of the main story, introduce Soaring, introduce mirage spots, replaced Battle Tower for Battle Resort, etc. I wonder what the next game would bring. Likely gen 6.5 since I am now on board with everyone else, maybe another mythical pokemon made available, a interactive/gift shiny pokemon (like HGSS, B2W2) or something else. I hope Zygarde is still the star and would feature in the story. In XY, Zygarde is barely known and no one really mentions it like Rayquaza in Ruby/Sapphire, Giratina in Diamond/Pearl and Kyurem in Black/White. Game Freak wouldn't have given it new forms if it wasn't getting a game for itself. Right now we have: Ash-Greninja, Zygarde's forms and Magiana. It is weird that a new game(s) hasn't been announced by now considering what we know now. Ash-Greninja is said to be anime exclusives but some suggest otherwise. Also Eternal Floette still needs to be address. Game Freak has to be planning something if they keeping us in the dark this long.

Um actually that Math doesn't work out, Generation 2 was 3 years long, almost exactly to the day. Nov 21st 1999 to Nov 22nd 2002, and this 3 year gen is the shortest gen ever your proposals for Gen 7 are both 20 months each, so not even 2 years. In fact, it's almost half, (18 months would be half) of the shortest ever. That to me just seems completely Farfetch'd
I admittedly did shuffle round my prediction a bit after posting; moving the Generation 6 Finale to launch two quarters before my original prediction which would have increased the gap; so I probably forgot to adjust the math there; which would explain the discrepancy. I don't think a really short generation would be entirely off the cards though; especially if GameFreak stop producing remakes.

I could see a proposed Gen 6.5 lasting around 18 to 20 months however. So a June 2016 release for Gen 6.5 and a Gen 7 debut in October 2017 (which is around when all generations debut in Japan)
While without precedent, we are currently in uncharted waters, so my Generation 7 prediction could easily be swapped out with a hypothetical Generation 6.5.

With all this talk about a hypothetical ".5" expansion though, I wonder what criteria would be used to differentiate a .5 expansion from a whole new generation outside of an official declaration? Especially as the most common considered criteria is the introduction of entirely new Pokémon species. We can't consider a hardware transition or passage of time in a known location because of Generation V, nor can we consider a different region setting than its predecessor due to the three remake pairs. Perhaps we could consider the introduction of a new region as the marker of a new generation, but aren't the Sevii Islands classified as a region?

With all this talk about a hypothetical ".5" expansion though, I wonder what criteria would be used to differentiate a .5 expansion from a whole new generation outside of an official declaration? Especially as the most common considered criteria is the introduction of entirely new Pokémon species. We can't consider a hardware transition or passage of time in a known location because of Generation V, nor can we consider a different region setting than its predecessor due to the three remake pairs. Perhaps we could consider the introduction of a new region as the marker of a new generation, but aren't the Sevii Islands classified as a region?
i would posit that a new generation occurs when a new region with its own eight new gym leaders is introduced. this covers the introduction of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos as the markers of a new generation. so even if the Sevii Islands are classified as a region they would fail to meet the gym leader requirement. i would've set the requirement to be higher (must have its own evil gang, must have its own Pokemon League), but then Johto would've failed those.

the only thing holding me back from subscribing to the whole 6.5/7 idea is the fact that Magiana is a mythical Pokemon. they are practically the equivalent of DLC Pokemon as it is, so i see no reason to immediately conclude that we're moving forward from six, just yet at least. if there's another Pokemon revealed, and it's not a mythical or even a legendary, i'd see more reason to believe in 6.5 or 7.

Pokemon League Schedule Hinting at Fall 'Z' Game? - PokéBeach / Pokémon TCG, games, and anime news!

If the interpretation is correct, and Magiana is set for something in September, things could get interesting. More importantly, this is based on the western releases, which are usually behind on he TCG sets of Japan. Speculation, obviously, but if Magiana would be getting a TCG set or a card that can be used legally so early, I would assume around July in Japan, then could it be a Gen7 Pokemon? Genuinely asking, I have no idea how the TCG work in this department.

It's a gimmick that doesn't make sense. Again if Magiana was meant to fuse with Volcanion then the opening on its lower half would've been pyramid-shaped but it's not. The only thing that fits there is its own ear-things. Same with Volcanion's cannons, if Magiana's arms where to go in there then it wouldn't be able to attack. That "fusion" would be more of a hindrance than a power-up. Also why do you assume that whatever connects Ash and Volcanion will be anything more than a plot device? Heck, why do you assume Volcanion will have anything to do with Magiana in the games? It wouldn't be the first time the anime gives a connection to Pokemon that are otherwise unrelated in the games.

That's what you call "almost confirmed"? I don't even see where you got that from. Magiana is clearly just floating in front of Volcanion.
It's a feeling I couldn't shake once I saw that drawing my friend made because aside from that Maggie's the first time I've been borderline neutral on what to think about a Pokémon. As for the poster I was viewing it from my tiny Nokia phone so it looked like Volcanion was holding her. Either way we don't know enough about Mag to rule out it fusing with Volcanion yet, also the form change could look drastically different than what that sketch shows. Basically what I'm saying is that anything is possible now regardless if it makes sense to us or not.

Again not too familiar with the TCG, but doesn't it say that the west is often behind Japan, such as how we are behind them in the anime still despite getting the games at the same time?

@Meta Boss

Not true, new Starters, new region, new complete set of 8 gym leaders, new professor, all still stand true as defining lines between generations still.

The set of available Pokemon -not formes, but Pokemon with their personal Pokedex entries - is the only definition of generation we have left.

That's why Gen 6.5 is so unlikely. It would just blur the generation line completely.

New formes are available in ORAS that are not in XY. New moves are in ORAS that are not in XY. New features, like Sneaking or Soaring are in ORAS too. What is the only thing holding both games as the same generation? Same exact number of Pokedex entries!
The next Gen VI game, has to respect this rule. If it introduced even one new Pokemon for the Pokedex, it would break the very definition of a Gen. If it does so, it's Gen VII, by definition.

None of those are shared between XY and ORAS, and yet both are Gen VI.

ORAS didn't introduce any of those new things so it's not a new generation, it's a part of the current generation.
I don't know how else to explain it you, just the lines between gens is pretty obvious to most people.

ORAS didn't introduce any of those new things so it's not a new generation, it's a part of the current generation.
I don't know how else to explain it you, just the lines between gens is pretty obvious to most people.
They are not shared though. Besides, a new professor isn't a big deal. We have had new gym leaders already, just not an entire set of them.

And I understand what you mean perfectly, but do not buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom