• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Alright my thoughts on all this:
  • Trainers: The girl trainer is the cutest thing ever and has managed to make me do something I haven't done since I registered here: change my avatar :p The boy just looks... dull and has a creepy look on his face.
  • Hau: His official art is too precious, I forgive him for being another (too) friendly rival.
  • Lillie: Not sure what to think about her yet, she doesn't seem to like battling so sadly she probably isn't a rival. Hopefully she has an interesting story then.
  • Professor Kukui: I'm glad Kukui is confirmed as the professor, Pokémon professors still always wear lab coats confirmed. Still sad it's no female professor though and he doesn't seem very interesting yet.

We already had a female professor, being professor Juniper in Gen 5. I kinda want a jerk rival again like Silver or Gary though, because we've had too many friendly rivals.

• Legendaries: Happy that Solgaleo isn't fire type, two fire lions are enough thank you. Lunala is still my favourite though, I love how it looks in battle.
  • Region: I also don't understand why people claim the region is small, it looks big enough to me. Especially the lower right island, looks like it can have at least four towns and there's a mountain and a water route too. As long as we haven't seen the actual routes, I don't think we can judge on this yet.
  • Rotom Dex: Just... no, I hope I can turn it off as soon as I get it, it just seems annoying. Also kinda annoyed that an old Pokémon is getting the spotlight again, hardly before any new ones have been introduced.

Yeah, that's my fear for the Rotom Dex as well, though it kinda comes off as a rip-off of Whisper from Yo-Kai Watch, which makes me feel like they're trying too hard to compete with that franchise rather than try something on their own. I do wonder if it can battle.

Either way, I too am annoyed that an old Pokemon is getting the spotlight again before most of the new ones have been introduced, other than the three starters and the legendaries. Granted I'm glad it's not a Gen 1 Pokemon for once (but also a non-Gen 1 Pokemon that isn't Lucario since TPCi seems to often ignore 90% of all non-Gen 1 Pokemon that aren't starters or legendaries except for Lucario for some reason). This was one of my problems with Gen 6 was the overfocus on Mega Evolutions over the new Pokemon, especially Charizard and Lucario, the latter originally having debuted in the exact same generation as Rotom and got probably MORE over-exposure in Gen 6 than it ever did in it's debut generation, even if you include the 8th movie.

We already had a female professor, being professor Juniper in Gen 5.

Yeah but we've had six dudes. Let's get at least one other woman in the field, but preferably even more than that.

E: Even if you factor in the peripheral researchers, it's still a very slanted ratio. YMMV on how much each of these count, but for guys there is Cedric Juniper, Cozmo, and Colress. Even Bugsy is training to be a researcher of Bug-types. For girls there is Fennel and, if you dip into the tie-in games, Burnet.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that they confirmed that the Alola region is four islands with an artificial fifth one at first. I was expecting another island or two given how many islands make up Hawaii, but it's certainly not small. The four main islands are pretty huge, especially what I assume is the first one. That's plenty of room for so many cities, routes, Gyms and Pokemon in general. If that's really the entire Alola region, then I'm okay with that.

I'm still surprised with Solgaleo and Lunala's type combinations, but I'm also surprised people are annoyed that it's another Psychic/Steel type. I honestly even forgot that Jirachi has that type combination, even though I do like it. If this was similar to the three Fire/Fighting starters in a row, then I could understand that, but we only have a small handful of Pokemon with that type combination, most of which were introduced over ten years ago. I think that another Psychic/Steel type is fine, especially when people would probably complain about it being too predictable if it was a part Fire type.

I still like the official artwork for the two trainers, but the female trainer does look especially upbeat and perky, so I like that. Another female professor would have been nice, especially when just one doesn't balance out how many male professors there are, but I'm fine with Professor Kukui. He seems fun or at least display some personality with his design and interactions with the player based on the trailer. His assistant is especially interesting to me. I doubt that she'll be a rival, but I could easily see her being involved with the evil team to some degree since the website mentions that she's important to the overall storyline.

Hau seems nice. I do like how his official artwork makes him look so friendly and happy. Sure, it's another friendly rival and most people want a jerk rival, but as long as he's interesting, I don't mind another friendly rival. He seems like he could provide some fun interactions so that's cool.

The Rotom Pokedex still threw me for a loop. It wouldn't have seen them going for something like that, but it could provide some interesting features for the Pokedex. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't reveal new Pokemon. The early route bird or the dog-like Pokemon from the last trailer would have been nice, but we still got a good amount of news and we could still get some new Pokemon revealed later on this month.

Ooh right, that. Good point. What's a good number that's large enough to avoid repeats, but small enough to avoid a mess?

At least 350 or better more. We have now over 720 pokemon and at least the half should be catchable in the main story. Everything is better than another 150 pokemon crap. I personally wish 500 pokemon with 100 new ones in them. I can't see that being a mess if limiting a pokedex to 150 pokemon with trainer using the same pokemon all over again, gyms only having 2-3 lines of pokemon and 10 of 150 pokemon being legendaries would be a far bigger flaw than too much.

Yeah. We are as clueless about it as you are haha.

Some people are speculating Synchro Evolution, similar to Ash-Greninja.
I put money on the Sun legendary being a lion and I'm going to gamble again and say this low-key confirms that Whatever Ash Greninja seems to be is making it's way to the games. Gigareki being trademarked under new software, the trainers being in the back of their Pokémon. It's all coming together literally

If this new watch device isnt for mega stones where to we hold our key stone? Unless megas were gen 6 only?

I don't think we necessarily need to have a Key Stone embedded in anything. Hoenn's Elite Four didn't; their Mega Evolution activation text just said "Key Stone."

I want a huge regional dex. It's the 20th anniversary and we now have 4 dexes "confirmed", so I hope they go all in and make the game massive. The size of Kalos' dex never bothered me, it was more the choices they made within it. Like we had pretty much every Bug/Flying and Normal/Flying type available included while some of the more unique lines (Sawsbuck, Galvantula, Camerupt, Claydol, Whimsicott, Togekiss, Jellicent etc) were left out. If they give us a good variety in the 4 dexes (seems hard not to if each one has a decent amount in) then I'll be happy.

I love that mountain top city. It reminds me of Snowpoint City.. .. Sinnoh confirmed? (jk of course)

Did anyone post this yet?
tumblr_o85g1kwvLy1t67ae7o1_500.png

I believe it's just be a coincidence, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea I guess? Although I prefer the design of the current Key Stones.

Did anyone post this yet?
tumblr_o85g1kwvLy1t67ae7o1_500.png

I believe it's just be a coincidence, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea I guess? Although I prefer the design of the current Key Stones.
That idea have been floating around since February.

I like how Gamefreak likes to tease the fans alot.

Is it a city though? That's basically mauna kea.
I just saw the hi-def pic, I think you're right. I thought it was a whole settlement but it's only pokecenter. Maybe it serves like Everest Base Camp before the journey to that building/center to the north?

I'm really happy with the information revealed. It was the perfect amount to keep fans hyped, speculating and satisfied at the same time. I'm a bit surprised about Solgaleo's typing though. I definitely expected fire. It doesn't look metal. But both legendaries look really cool, and the Rotom Pokedex idea is genious.

Just enjoying the new footage at the moment; I must say, my favourite thing of the games is how the characters talk! Even the Professor has a surfer dude style! I love it.

Back
Top Bottom