• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Guys. . .they didn't neglect Zygarde. . . haven't you seen the anime?

:^)

On a more serious note, one of the reasons that X/Y had so little new pokemon were because they had to model all of the mons from older regions by scratch. This is still on 3DS, so theres a chance they wont be doing that again. Meaning they can focus on adding more new. I'd expect a bit more than what Kalos had.

That's assuming they ever intended to flesh out Kalos.

Yeah, the thing about it is, we look at it with these preconceived notions and expectations of future improvements. From GF's never-intending-to-make-Z perspective, Kalos would have been designed to be "complete" as it appears in X/Y.

*secretly hoping Character Customization returns*

I doubt it will, but you can't blame me for trying. :/

And guys LOOK. MASCOTS REVEALED FROM THE OFFICIAL SITE:

latest

latest

Think we'll actually get something on Sunday or will we have to wait until Corocoro or E3?

Think we'll actually get something on Sunday or will we have to wait until Corocoro or E3?
They haven't promised anything for Sunday and the show in question hasn't been useful for information. There is no reason to expect anything.

There's quite a gap between the next CoroCoro issue and E3 (June). I think that we're likely to get confirmation of the connection between Go and the new generation, since Go will be showcased in mid-March for the first time.

Given the gap between the reveal and the release date (I'm guessing November or December), I don't think we'll get anything substantial. Expect some bitesized nuggets every now and then until we get to the later months.

More reason for people to buy Sun/Moon, basically. I doubt there's tech limitations as both Gen VI and Sun/Moon are on 3DS.
I agree--technically the conversion from Gen I to the current data structure should happen on Bank's cloud servers, so it should be compatible with Gen VI. On the plus side, this may allow for things like "Retro Abilities" so that we don't get weird scenarios like No Guard Machamp.

I thinl despite the reveal being now in late February, we still will have to deal with the typical May start for the prerelease info period. On the other hand, I don'r recall XY's reveal site having a blurb promising more news either, so we'll see. Personally, I think because its going to have lots of connectivity potential between the RGBY Pokemon, and Go most likely, along with any 20th anniversary stuff, we might get stuff like the region, PC's and legendary/starter Pokemon relatively early, alongside Magearna's event shown in game for April, and its secret for May. Then from July-Octomber focuses a lot on the features.

Guys I'm hyped and delighted with SM, but this also gives me a slightly bitter taste in the mouth. I have loads of questions and thoughts. Here go a few, hope you answer a few:

1. The biggest WTF about this is that XY clearly mentioned SOUTH KALOS. Kilude is "an example of South Kalosian life-style". So, does this mean they changed their minds? It certainly looks like they were GOING to make Z, but suddenly changed their opinion, and kinda SCRAPPED Kalos?

2. Is SM completely confirmed to be Gen VII, or could it be just some wording? If it is a new Generation, does this mean this is NOT a standalone anniversary game, unrelated to any generation?

3. I think they decided to make VC Gen I compatible with SM only, to save some programming time. From the wording, it appears that VC Gen I Pokemon CAN be transfered to XY and ORAS, but after the coding of SM transforms them IV wise and EV wise. After that, they can be backwards traded to XY and ORAS.

4. What is the most likely outcome for the graphics of SM? Will they be like XY ORAS, on the same engine? I am asking, because I don't want more improved/realistic graphics. I would prefer graphics and artstyle like ORAS and Gen VI, because they kinda keep the charm of the previous Generations.

5. And my biggest question. Has GF decided to change their generation strategy and only release one pair of games from that region per generation, and have they decided to make generation last two pairs of games instead of three? BW - BW2 and XY ORAS.

Last edited:
Guys I'm hyped, but this also gives me a slightly bitter taste in the mouth. I have loads of questions and thoughts. Here go a few, hope you answer a few:

2. Is SM completely confirmed to be Gen VII, or could it be just some wording? If it is a new Generation, does this mean this is NOT a standalone anniversary game, unrelated to any generation?

It's set in a new region with new Pokemon, so it checks all the boxes for a new Generation.

Sigh... Finally the game was confirmed. I really thought it would have been 2 Kalos sequels, but alas, it was not. Then again, the poll showing the majority being Z predictors were also incorrect, too...

Well either way, yet the hype go on!

*Hopes to transfer a No Guard Fissure Machamp into the new games*

I like your signature Silktree, I'm glad I wasn't as bitter with my Gen 6.5 remarks before we knew of this information. Well somewhat, but I eat my hat :p

A love of a franchise that us fans share, I wouldn't turn down Sun & Moon for a second lol.

1. The biggest WTF about this is that XY clearly mentioned SOUTH KALOS. Kilude is "an example of South Kalosian life-style". So, does this mean they changed their minds? It certainly looks like they were GOING to make Z, but suddenly changed their opinion, and kinda SCRAPPED Kalos?
not really a wtf moment. South Kalos got even less of a spotlight than the Strange Souvenir region. it and gen 6.5 was predicated on....selective....interpretations of certain things in the game.

Guys I'm hyped, but this also gives me a slightly bitter taste in the mouth. I have loads of questions and thoughts. Here go a few, hope you answer a few:

Well, that means South Kalos does exist... we're just not going there :p Or maybe you actually do visit it in S/M, like you visit Kanto in Silver/Gold.

The UK press release explicitly says this is the newest generation (see first post). However, in the trailer they said in this game it would 'all come together' or something, so maybe it is related to the other generations.

3. I think they decided to make VC Gen I compatible with SM only, to save some programming time. From the wording, it appears that VC Gen I Pokemon CAN be transfered to XY and ORAS, but after the coding of SM transforms them IV wise and EV wise. After that, they can be backwards traded to XY and ORAS

It seems S/M are going to have new Pokémon, so I doubt backwards trading is going to be a thing...

From what I've seen people don't like the names or the games themselves. Is the hype that low because the leaks the day before or are people just getting tired of pokemon? What do you guys think?

Most reactions I've seen have been hyped. The only less enthusiastic one I've seen have been from, ah, to put it politely, disappointed Zygarde/Kalos fans who really wanted Z.

The focus on the transferring is something to note I believe. Its like with the worldwide release part of XY's reveal. Yes it was to advertise the fact that you can transfer over gen 1 Pokemon, but I think that is the whole point. If I had to guess, there is going to be some sort of option or battle facility for gen 1/2 Pokemon and Gen 3-6 Pokemon battling. Would be cool if they have a frontier based on past gens and their features. Like gen 1 battles, gen 3 battle contents, gen 4 sports battles based on the Pokeathlon, Gen 5 Puzzle Battles like at Pokestar and Gen 6 Inversion Battles.

I doubt they changed their mind mid-gen. Kiloude was very likely the South Kalos they spoke of.

Look at the Pokedexes for example: they mention Haunter licking people do death, and loads of other general titbits that don't reflect in-game. I think it was very much a case of that.

Besides, we have no idea where Sun/Moon are set yet. The unused section of France way well be the basis for their next region.

Absolutely. "new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures". Sounds very much a new gen.

I don't really need to answer Q3.

4. What is the most likely outcome for the graphics of SM? Will they be like XY ORAS, on the same engine? I am asking, because I don't want more improved/realistic graphics. I would prefer graphics and artstyle like ORAS and Gen VI, because they kinda keep the charm of the previous Generations.

I'd say it's going to be an enhanced version of the 3DS engine the Gen VI gamse used. Kindof like how Gen V improved over Gen IV.

5. And my biggest question. Has GF decided to change their generation strategy and only release one pair of games from that region per generation, and have they decided to make generation last two pairs of games instead of three? BW - BW2 and XY ORAS.

Who knows. But I can see where you'd got that impression from, Gen V & VI both only had primary and secondary pairs, albeit of different kinds. We haven't got a 3rd game since Platinum in 2008 (2009 in Eng) and I think the series will benefit from it.

Is this the topic we have to move to after the Speculation one got closed?

Do we actually know if it's Gen VII? I know that it said a 'whole new adventure,' but that doesn't 100% confirm Gen VII. I'm not saying that it's not Gen VII, but it's not confirmed. There is always a jump of graphics and type of animation between generations, but from what I've seen, it looks the exact same style-wise as Gen VI.

Back
Top Bottom