• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I love how people complained, both on the internet and IRL, that Pokemon has always been the same, never changes, eight badges, E4, defeating the bad guys, is way too easy, and will never change.

Then Sun and Moon comes around, removes the gym challenge, adds new features like Alolan forms, Z moves, introduces a region where the League is still being built during the players journey, pokemon from DIFFERENT dimensions, makes legendary pokemon have pre evolutions, adds way more exploration aspects, even removing hidden moves by replacing them with riding pokemon, brings most old favorite characters back including Red, Green/Blue, and Cynthia, have two different teams that aren't exactly like any others before them with huge story twists, while also introducing the feature of trainers challenging the title of the player's championship, and lastly makes it way more convenient to get perfect IV pokemon without breeding (gold/silver caps), and still people aren't satisfied with these games.

Have anybody who is complaining actually played SM? These are by far one, if not the best, Pokemon games thus far. I have also read extremely positive comments as well, so it's not all gloom and doom, but remember these games are designed by default mostly for children. We should all feel very fortunate because most game franchises don't make it twenty years. Rant over.

as someone who did explore every pixel of the game, the substantial level lead doesn't last forever. there simply isn't enough EXP to keep you vastly ahead once you hit the higher levels. the EXP really drops off in the later parts of the campaign.
If you've been keeping up with refresh, everything with at least 2 hearts gets 20%extra exp.

If you've been keeping up with refresh, everything with at least 2 hearts gets 20%extra exp.
I think this is what's doing me in, my team has four hearts each, no matter who's up front their is a huge boost, especially if using traded Pokemon(in gamr or otherwis, that early Bounsweet with high attack is putting in work<3)

My team was just one to two levels above the foes' team. The Exp. Share was turned on. So the experience gain from the Exp. Share is really well done this genereation. :)

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the leveing throughout the game. I had the Exp. Share on the entire time and I was never over-leveled by more than 4/5, and even if I was I still had to be careful when taking down Totem Pokémon.

Later on I did find myself falling behind by a 1-3 levels, but still I was able to win those battles with some thought. Really appreciated that, especially since it was nonexistent in Gen VI.

My team was just one to two levels above the foes' team. The Exp. Share was turned on. So the experience gain from the Exp. Share is really well done this genereation. :)
That is your opinion, not fact. You may have liked it but I didn't. In my opinion, it was rubbish and I had to switch a couple of times to avoid my main pokemon getting knocked out.

I really, really enjoyed the leveling curve in Sun/Moon. Exp Share combined with the Gen V exp system did wonders imo.

I rarely found myself more than a few levels higher than my opponents.

I really, really enjoyed the leveling curve in Sun/Moon. Exp Share combined with the Gen V exp system did wonders imo.

I rarely found myself more than a few levels higher than my opponents.

Same here. In fact, I was at least 6 levels below the Elite Four when I went in. I don't know how my team pulled through, but those battles were tense.

Now, the anti-ginding EXP scaling did come back to bite me in the post-game, when everybody jumps up to Lv63. But I've managed to catch up, so it was only a momentary obstacle.

I've said before that I don't really care about the games being "easy," but I want to be clear that I do love it when there is a challenge. I can enjoy, say, XY just fine even though I can plow right through them, but I enjoyed SM a lot more since they were considerably tougher. The Totems were especially brilliant, not just because they were tough but also because they were dynamic and fun - but you put those things together, and I never want to see an "old school" Gym ever again.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think they finally have a levelling system that works. The level scaling and EXP share pretty much cancel each other out and the pacing is pretty fair, there's only one instance I can remember having to grind and it was my own fault anyway (I wanted a Trapinch for my team, but I didn't check whether Haina Desert opened up after beating Totem Mimikyu and ended up coming back pretty much at the end of the game).

They also hit a sweet spot in terms of difficulty, the AI gives you a reasonable challenge and the Totem Battles use some actual strategy to give you a rough time (Mimikyu especially is pure evil).

It only works so long as you keep having mons of a reasonable level to fight, which SM does not as the highest mons cap out at 70 which makes grinding beyond that a major pain.

This is unacceptable for a game where it has a major mechanic gated behind pokemon being level 100.

I haven't picked up the game yet due to there being so much to buy and play on various systems, but can anyone tell me how it competes with previous titles in Pokemon? It seems pretty good from what I've seen so far and am pumped to play it asap!

I haven't picked up the game yet due to there being so much to buy and play on various systems, but can anyone tell me how it competes with previous titles in Pokemon? It seems pretty good from what I've seen so far and am pumped to play it asap!
I'd say it's better than XY and ORAS in terms of story, characters and gameplay, but worse in terms of interface, character customization and Pokemon selection.

I beat it and got the shiny charm, I have nothing else to really do besides the stupid Battle Tree. I think the game'll have much more replay value one we get PoekBank in January, and you can get tons of old Pokemon to vary your gameplay experience. I definitely recommend these games for a quick fix, but to wait until PokeBank is out if you want to have more to work with and keep you busy.

I'd say it's better than XY and ORAS in terms of story, characters and gameplay, but worse in terms of interface, character customization and Pokemon selection.

I beat it and got the shiny charm, I have nothing else to really do besides the stupid Battle Tree. I think the game'll have much more replay value one we get PoekBank in January, and you can get tons of old Pokemon to vary your gameplay experience. I definitely recommend these games for a quick fix, but to wait until PokeBank is out if you want to have more to work with and keep you busy.
Thanks. Judging from the anime alone so far, I'd agree the characters overall are better in this one than XY. Though, I just adored Eureka (Bonnie) and thought she was so lovable! I despise the name Bonnie though, and will always call her Eureka. The fairy gym leader was fairly (haha?...), but was prepared for her to not have much screen time.

Overall speaking though, the characters are awesome in Sun and Moon. Especially my Suiren!

The trickiest totem battle for me was Lurantis in Lush Jungle. Once it called a Castform that used Sunny Day - access to instant Solar Blade & max power Synthesis caught me off guard. The Totem Wishiwashi & Mimikyu gave me some trouble too.

I enjoyed them a lot more than the gym challenges. One thing that the trials did right was that you couldn't leave once you started. In Gyms you could leave at any time, so leaving to heal up after fighting the trainers and then fighting the leader became second nature.

The trickiest totem battle for me was Lurantis in Lush Jungle. Once it called a Castform that used Sunny Day - access to instant Solar Blade & max power Synthesis caught me off guard. The Totem Wishiwashi & Mimikyu gave me some trouble too.

I enjoyed them a lot more than the gym challenges. One thing that the trials did right was that you couldn't leave once you started. In Gyms you could leave at any time, so leaving to heal up after fighting the trainers and then fighting the leader became second nature.
I agree about the challenges. Not being able to leave gives them the right amount of difficulty to be considered a "challenge." I think it's funny, different people have drastically different experiences with totem Pokémon. While you had troubles with Lurantis, I was lucky enough to take it out before it even called an ally. However, Salazzle gave me a run for my money. She poisoned me the first turn, then called her help and the two of them spammed venom drench and venoshock. My friend though, similar to the lurantis thing, used a ground move and just took out salazzle right away. It's all about what's on your team, really.

Apparently kiawe works at the thifty mangement theres a little side plot sith him if you meet him at his house in the old west town

Only in Sun, though. Moon players get a subplot about Mallow.

I don't know if they mention it in the Kiawe version, but an interesting bit of trivia from the Malliow one is that Captains can only serve as Captains until they're 20. After that, they have to start looking for a job.

Only in Sun, though. Moon players get a subplot about Mallow.

I don't know if they mention it in the Kiawe version, but an interesting bit of trivia from the Malliow one is that Captains can only serve as Captains until they're 20. After that, they have to start looking for a job.
Only got as far as thiftu management can't find anything else with him, so all I know is he wants to study dance aboard but can't since he got laid off, feels unfinished though and a line popped about about the battle lingering in my mind so I think its not done yet.

Back
Top Bottom