• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

When the entire community saw the Aether foundation and collectively went "Yep, they're evil" I think it's safe to say it was never meant to be a surprise.

In fairness though a lot of people thought Lillie was evil and only assisting the Professor for her own nefarious purposes.

So, you prefer a really easy game with no challenge, just to solo the game with one Pokémon?
XY and ORAS were fine. They weren't super easy but at least I can get my pokemon to level 100 quickly. SM fails at this.

You are blaming the game because it wouldn't let you easily win using a self imposed challenge.

This isn't something I usually say for pokemon but.

Git gud. Or use more pokemon like the game was intended to play.
I rather use my main pokemon at all times. SM has obviously fail at this in my opinion.

As the game is designed for standard play to be a 6-mon team it can't really be called a failure on the game's part for not being balanced around Solo-mon runs.

I did a mostly Solo-mon run of Alpha Sapphire with a Houndoom (and an underleveled Sceptile when double battles showed up) and found very little challenge past Mauville City.

In the same vein I once did a Nuzlocke of White version and didn't make it past Twist Mountain. Self imposed challenges and rules are certainly fun, but we can't pretend that's how the games are initially meant to be played.

I think it's great that you want to try a solo-mon run of Sun/Moon (certainly enough trainers in Alola do the exact same thing to my frustration), but that's again nothing more than a self-imposed challenge.

This does however lend to my frustration at the linearity of SM, moreso than most games recently. That lack of freedom in direction does seem to limit options on how to change up your play style. I think we'll certainly find ways to make it work in time, but right now I feel as though I am limited to what the game wants me to do.

Last edited:
I agree with them seeming too good to be true, still enjoyed their story regardless.

I really love Pokemon Sun so far. While the game starts slow with all the cutscenes at first, it later becomes less annoying. I haven't finished the game yet, Vikavolt was the last totem I battled, but the main plot isn't thrown in my face like I'm used to: I still have literally no idea what the heck Aether, tSkull, Gladion and Lillie are up to. Not bad though, I feel like it is catching up a little slower, but that's fine. A couple of things I would like to mention:

- the level arc is decent in my opinion, regular trainer battles aren't hard, but at least they keep up with my own personal progress.
- that eerie smile Lusamine pulled when UB-01 fled, is creepy and haunting my dreams for the last few nights.
- Golisopod is turning out to be one of my all time favourites. I was sceptic because of it's ability, but damn, that thing wrecks houses.
- The trails are so much fun to do and to me the Totem Pokemon are actually quite difficult! I was doing Kiawe's trial and Totem Salazzle caught me by surprise. I went in with 3 Pokemon at 2/3 health (in a team of four) and I was like: "welp, this will go well." But I won and the victory felt so satisfying. The only Totem I beat with relative ease was Vikavolt.

I'm glad I'm not rushing these games, trying to enjoy every bit of gameplay as I go.

XY and ORAS were fine. They weren't super easy but at least I can get my pokemon to level 100 quickly. SM fails at this.

I rather use my main pokemon at all times. SM has obviously fail at this in my opinion.

Pokémon X and Y were super easy. Even Pokémon Sun and Moon were easy, despite having a better exp distribution.

Pokémon X and Y were super easy. Even Pokémon Sun and Moon were easy, despite having a better exp distribution.
I beg to differ. XY and ORAS had the best level of difficulty. SM had regress which I do not believe is a good thing.

I beg to differ. XY and ORAS had the best level of difficulty. SM had regress which I do not believe is a good thing.

Those games had no level of difficulty at all. The only reason why you find it difficult is because you only use one or two Pokémon, which is still a little surprising considering I used to do the same thing back in the first couple of generations, and still had no trouble getting through the region with just a couple of Pokémon.

Those games had no level of difficulty at all. The only reason why you find it difficult is because you only use one or two Pokémon, which is still a little surprising considering I used to do the same thing back in the first couple of generations, and still had no trouble getting through the region with just a couple of Pokémon.
We all have our different way of playing games. I don't believe gen 6 was that easy but that is my opinion. Like the other threads, agree to disagree on the subject.

You know, the one thing I haven't seen talked about but am immensely glad happened this Gen was the amount of women in important positions. Like, we've never had a majority of them in the E4 or as gym leaders, but now we had 4/7 captains, and the majority of E4 members were women (already had 2 games where the majority were men). Then we got our first female antagonist + our biggest supporting character was a girl + also had a female professor (despite not being the regional one, but still). It was something great to see imo since typically I find a lot of those types of positions to be taken by males.

You know, the one thing I haven't seen talked about but am immensely glad happened this Gen was the amount of women in important positions. Like, we've never had a majority of them in the E4 or as gym leaders, but now we had 4/7 captains, and the majority of E4 members were women (already had 2 games where the majority were men). Then we got our first female antagonist + our biggest supporting character was a girl + also had a female professor (despite not being the regional one, but still). It was something great to see imo since typically I find a lot of those types of positions to be taken by males.

I concur, though I want to point out that the Kalos League had a female majority overall (though only because of Diantha - without her, it's an even split in both Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, and then there was also a male professor and villain team leader). I think this was a much more impressive accomplishment, though, not only because of the additional female characters that you mention, but also because they (well, I guess this goes for basically all of the characters in SM, but still) were generally much more characterized and better-written than the ones in XY.

Shoot, even with what little we see of Plumeria, she was better than all of the Flare admins combined.

Doesnt matter about gender. What matters is the quality of the characters. Only Lusamine made an impression for me.

I really never notice things like this, usually people say oh it;s because you're a guy so you don't notice guys are the majority, well now apparently it's majority girls in Alola, didn't notice that either :)

The only time I've noticed is a show called Once Upon A Time, its completely dominated by women, I noticed it, but don't mind it either :)

Well, Kelsey got to the league last night and found that three of the Elite Four were women and commented on it. I'm actually pretty glad for that. Pokemon isn't the most progressive of series but every now and then they decide to throw a little love at different groups.

Granted, this group happens to be one to which 50% of the world's population belong XD I'm still annoyed that Professor Juniper got overshadowed like she did.

Back
Top Bottom