• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Well Movie 20 was just revealed, looks like gen 7 is gonna stick around til 2019. Ash Pikachu for the event this year, and 2018 with Marshadow as the gen 7 movie proper.
I really wouldn't take it for granted that there will be a "proper" Generation VII movie. That formula didn't work so well in the last generation.

I'd sooner bet on the 2018 movie featuring Mew, still being set in Kanto as part of the reboot. Marshadow could just get an anime arc; its QR code could be revealed in any number of ways.

There was never much of a chance of Generation VIII being released in 2018. The question is if it will happen in 2019 or 2020; the latter could easily happen if Game Freak have a big Switch release (not Stars) planned for 2018 as part of the current generation.

I think I'm just more interested in the Pokemon bank getting the update so I can load the the stupid thing of all the Pokemon I've managed to catch in Sun and Moon so I can restart the stupid games again.

I look forward to a new set of games, regardless of them being remakes, a port/third version for the next nintendo system, or a whole new generation. I really do enjoy Sun and Moon, but I can really tell that GameFreak would like to go further than they did with Sun and Moon, but it's obvious the 3DS' capabilities was pushed as far as they could go.

I really wouldn't take it for granted that there will be a "proper" Generation VII movie. That formula didn't work so well in the last generation.

I'd sooner bet on the 2018 movie featuring Mew, still being set in Kanto as part of the reboot. Marshadow could just get an anime arc; its QR code could be revealed in any number of ways.

There was never much of a chance of Generation VIII being released in 2018. The question is if it will happen in 2019 or 2020; the latter could easily happen if Game Freak have a big Switch release (not Stars) planned for 2018 as part of the current generation.
I definitely think that restarting gen 7 on the Switch and having the 3 year gen thing be for the Switch until 2020 is a huge possibility, but considering how gen 6 turned out, I am not holding my breath for anything in all honesty. But yeah, I think this move is definitely telling that gen 7 is gonna shake things up with the whole movie-game relationship.

I know people have been saying this for years, but I really feel like we're going to get a revisit to Kanto this generation. Kanto 'mons and characters have always gotten special treatment, but there's just so much exchange between Alola and Kanto I would be surprised if they didn't follow up on that.

• The SM main character is from Kanto
  • Kukui has challenged the Kanto league
  • The new movie is based in Kanto
  • It would be a convenient way to get the original forms of Alola Variant 'mons without Pokébank
  • Pokémon GO has made Kanto more popular than it's been since 1999, so if they're going to do it they should probably do it now
  • Red and Blue return with updated designs, showing lots of time has passed since the original games (probably at least 10 years)

And a couple story spoiler points
  • Lillie travels to Kanto at the end of the game, which would be a fun tie in as she's basically the honorary protagonist of SM
  • Hau wants to travel around the world as well, especially Kanto
  • Hau's dad travels around and could easily be introduced as a character if Hau and Lillie return
  • Mew has a signature Z-Move despite not being found in the game

I just feel like there are so many signs pointing to a new Kanto game. I will reserve judgment on whether this is a good or bad thing until I see it myself (if they do in fact go that route).

Last edited:
I know people have been saying this for years, but I really feel like we're going to get a revisit to Kanto this generation. Kanto 'mons and characters have always gotten special treatment, but there's just so much exchange between Alola and Kanto I would be surprised if they didn't follow up on that.

-The SM main character is from Kanto
-Kukui has challenged the Kanto league
-The new movie is based in Kanto
-It would be a convenient way to get the original forms of Alola Variant 'mons without Pokébank
-Pokémon GO has made Kanto more popular than it's been since 1999, so if they're going to do it they should probably do it now

And a couple story spoiler points
-Lillie travels to Kanto at the end of the game, which would be a fun tie in as she's basically the honorary protagonist of SM
-Hau wants to travel around the world as well, especially Kanto
-Hau's dad travels around and could easily be introduced as a character if Hau and Lillie return

Adding onto all of that, Red and Blue both got adult-age redesigns which are otherwise only used for the Battle Tree. A modern Kanto game would allow them to get more mileage out of those models.

Plus, if they were to include Johto as well (now that it's beginning to be marketed in conjunction with Go), then that would explain why the Apricorn Balls have suddenly returned, and then we could presumably get more than the one-of-each we're allotted in SM.

And there's Mew's Z-Move

Adding onto all of that, Red and Blue both got adult-age redesigns which are otherwise only used for the Battle Tree. A modern Kanto game would allow them to get more mileage out of those models.

Plus, if they were to include Johto as well (now that it's beginning to be marketed in conjunction with Go), then that would explain why the Apricorn Balls have suddenly returned, and then we could presumably get more than the one-of-each we're allotted in SM.

And there's Mew's Z-Move
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Red and Blue! I'll add them to my post. I agree, I think there's also a decent chance of visiting Johto if we do go back to Kanto since htye are right next to each other lol

And good point with the spoiler'd observation

There definitely has been a large amount of Kanto references, probably more so than any other game. I wouldn't rule out a return to Kanto and as much as I am a little sick of all the Kanto pandering, it would be nice to see if they could improve on the Kanto Region. I personally find the Kanto Region to be my least favorite region, but I'd like to see how they could update it and see if it looks any better in Gen VII.

Again, I would very much prefer to see Sinnoh remakes before we touch either Kanto or Alola once more. They already lost me with Sun and Moon. BlazingFireRed and VerdantLeafGreen wouldn't win back my support.

While I find the "there are so many references to Kanto so that the region itself doesn't need to be revisited" reasoning weak, I also think that any future Kanto games need Johto to prevent fans from getting burned out. Since HGSS, there have been very few callbacks to Generation II, but that is beginning to change. Aside from the aforementioned Poke Balls and the gradual addition of Generation II critters to Go, Japan is recently and rather suddenly showing Johto love. It is not hard to imagine that eventually, both Kanto and Johto will be celebrated equally.

I think that we need very big games in 2018 if the idea is for this generation to continue on the Switch. A dual-region experience that is more expansive than HGSS is something I'm sure many people would enjoy.

I kind of doubt Johto will ever be seen as Kanto's equal since almost nothing about those games are as widely recognized. This is largely Game Freak's fault for not giving the new Pokemon and features the attention they needed all the way back in Gen II despite there being so many cute "mascot" appearing Pokemon. But I agree if they revisit Kanto they'll almost have to supplement it with either extending the adventure to Johto or expanding the Kanto region itself. Or both honestly, if we're using the Switch for this give us Kanto, Johto, the Sevii Islands, and more. Have the game carry you all the waybto level 100 for once since you have the capacity for a huge game.

For people bothered by it 'not being an original story':

It's the 20th anniversary. Of course we need some nostalgia.

What Kanto really needs is a BW2 experience (in fact, we could use more of that in general, but that's somewhat of a different conversation). Kanto's age really shows even in spite of the many times we've revisited it, and that's because they're basically just copy/pasting the game with better graphics for the most part. What they need to do is update the Kanto Dex, the region design, and the storyline and add in new features, because otherwise every Kanto game they ever do is just bland, empty, and unpolished. The Kanto Dex is poorly balanced and there's a lot of types that need more Pokemon, even if they threw in every cross gen evolution, Mega Evolution, and Alola Form Kanto's ever had (Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel, and Fairy are still a bit lacking). The region itself is too small, too flat, and too blocky and really looks like something from 1996. Adding new areas to the North and redesigning older ones to feel more natural would go a long way to making Kanto feel more realistic. And the storyline is practically nonexistent, Team Rocket's actions and ambitions are too simplistic for a compelling story and all of the characters are just glorified punching bags with minimal characterization, they exist for no other reason than to be battling opponents. Lastly, Kanto has no defining gameplay features that give it a solid identity or decent replay value. If they're this obsessed with Kanto why not go bold and make some improvement so that Kanto really shines?

And no Johto please. Including Johto would hamper what they could do with Kanto. Johto should get its own game independent from Kanto later on.

I kind of doubt Johto will ever be seen as Kanto's equal since almost nothing about those games are as widely recognized
I think those games are probably at least remembered by many for the frustrating battle with Whitney and her infamous Miltank. I'm sure Johto is recognized by most long term fans, though probably not those fans that didn't play past Gen I much.

If they released Kanto sequels in this generation and leave out Johto, then the latter probably won't be revisited until 2024 at the earliest. That is, under the reasonable assumption that they'll want to remake DP for the next generation, and that two separate releases featuring old regions are unlikely within a single generation. That kind of timeframe would create three problems:

1. It would be a waste of Go bringing back Generation II to the focus next year.
2. It would either be a waste of the eventual VC release of GSC, or it would push that release well past GS' 20th anniversary.
3. With a minimum of six years separating the Kanto and Johto sequels, who's to say that Game Freak wouldn't be tempted to include Kanto in the latter, anyway?

Putting any personal grievances aside about how the Johto games handled two regions, most people liked Kanto's inclusion and consider HGSS the epitome of post-game content. The idea of separating the regions, even in favor of their expansion, could be a tough sell. It doesn't strike me as a smart business choice when Game Freak have so many other regions to fall on in however long the series has left.

Besides, I really don't think that either Kanto or Johto needs to become as big as B2W2 Unova or Sinnoh. Alola is a relatively small region and yet the main story is a satisfying experience. It's the post-game that is lacking, but a game with both Kanto and Johto would obviously not be lacking in post-game content. The big question is how they would manage focusing on both regions more or less equally (which neither GSC nor HGSS did). Quoting myself from the sequel thread:

1. The simpler approach: Have the main story take place in half of Kanto and half of Johto, with some new areas behind Mt. Silver. A possible assortment of towns/cities: Viridian, Pewter, Vermilion, Saffron+Celadon, Lavender, Blackthorn, Mahogany, Ecruteak, Violet and Azalea (with 2-3 additions, especially for the beginning). The main journey would work without going through the rest of the regions until the post-game, and the story would capitalize on the contrast between Kanto's metropolitanism (which was even extended to Lavender in GSC) and Johto's traditionalism.

2. The more ambitious approach: Make the main setting of one version Kanto (leaving Johto for the post-game) and switch it around for the second version, resulting in major version differences akin to Fire Emblem Fates. Both versions would show different perspectives of a multi-faceted story converging in the post-game. Like Fire Emblem Fates, DLC might be utilized to unlock the scenario of the opposite version (paying $20 instead of another $40), and either way the non-DLC post-game would explain the main events of both scenarios.

I remember Johto for its Pokeathlon. I hope that it returns in potential Kanto sequels. Even if it is in the post game.

As much as Gamefreak loves Kanto, I doubt they'll do something as drastic as making Johto unavailable, lest they want to annoy everyone who started with GSC. Not to mention both regions are literally connected. This hypothetical Kanto sequel will likely be a reverse Gen II - the player starts off in Kanto, beats Lance (or whoever's the current champion), then goes to Johto during postgame.

I think Game Freak is trolling us. All in all, S&M are their own standing games, but they tie together all the generations in some way. So while a revisit to Kanto in some fashion would be appreciated, I'm not entirely convinced it would happen. If it does happen, I hope it's not a side sequel or a reboot, but more of a side story that could perfectly correlate with the original games. Kind of how the Rogue One Star Wars movie tied together some unknown story points between the prequel trilogy and the original SW trilogy.

I'm starting to think, would Deoxys and Giratana be considered "Ultra Beasts" in some fashion (although not officially) as they are 1) Deoxys is from Space, 2) Giratana lives inside the distortion world in Pokemon Platinum, which is almost like an Ultra Wormhole.

In Pokemon Platinum, Cyrus travels into the distortion world in almost the same fashion that Lusamine wishes to enter the Ultra Wormhole. There are obviously very different intentions on their part.

Type: Null I guess was created based off of information located int he Cannalave City library. Let's not forget that Type: Null was created, probably in the same vein of Mewtwo, Genesect, and Magearna (which... its story is kind of lacking imo).

In the demo, the mentioning of Slowpoke Tail's being a specialty is brought back. I'm pretty that is also mentioned somewhere in game.

There are many references/implied mentions to events of D/P/Pltn as well as Kanto, and Johto. Hoenn and Unova seem to have lesser of a presence, but I'm sure if I did another run through I'd find a few random NPC's that mention something about those regions. I'd remember more if I could skip through the many cutscenes (which I do appreciate, but after the first play through I don't care as much about player dialogue).

If it does happen, I hope it's not a side sequel or a reboot, but more of a side story that could perfectly correlate with the original games. Kind of how the Rogue One Star Wars movie tied together some unknown story points between the prequel trilogy and the original SW trilogy.
If you mean that a new Kanto game shouldn't heavily focus on the old characters, maybe. They should definitely appear in it, though.

There are many references/implied mentions to events of D/P/Pltn as well as Kanto, and Johto. Hoenn and Unova seem to have lesser of a presence, but I'm sure if I did another run through I'd find a few random NPC's that mention something about those regions. I'd remember more if I could skip through the many cutscenes (which I do appreciate, but after the first play through I don't care as much about player dialogue).
Bulbapedia has a (probably) complete list of references to the previous regions. As far as Hoenn and Unova are concerned, only the character cameos stand out (and even then, only Anabel and Burnet actually contribute something to the story, and they don't talk about their regions).

Kalos has it a little better thanks to Dexio and Sina talking about Sycamore discovering the Zygarde Cube, but suffice to say that they don't say anything that hints at a future Kalos game.

Back
Top Bottom