• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I'm confused by something. They say that you can transfer from VC RBY --> Bank --> SM. But once those pokemon are in bank, how will they prevent us from transferring to Gen VI games?

^^ That is one feature that I was questioning before. I was also seeing how they'd prevent Pokemon from the PokeTransporter to go into the new games from Pokebank (meaning Gen V-VII compatibility). Honestly, I don't know, so I can't tell you. But I expect that they'd update it to prevent this from happening. Updates are key nowadays for compatibility.

I'm confused by something. They say that you can transfer from VC RBY --> Bank --> SM. But once those pokemon are in bank, how will they prevent us from transferring to Gen VI games?
By programming it so that Pokemon that come from Gen I games can't be deposited into Gen VI games? Not sure what's so difficult about that.

By programming it so that Pokemon that come from Gen I games can't be deposited into Gen VI games? Not sure what's so difficult about that.
I guess I'm asking...what's so technically challenging about making them compatible with gen VI, as opposed to SM, since they're already in pokemon bank?

I guess I'm asking...what's so technically challenging about making them compatible with gen VI, as opposed to SM, since they're already in pokemon bank?
There's no technical challenge. They're obviously making Gen I VC transfers exclusive to SM because its the newest generation, and they want to give it the most features. I'm not really understanding the confusion.

There's no technical challenge. They're obviously making Gen I VC transfers exclusive to SM because its the newest generation, and they want to give it the most features. I'm not really understanding the confusion.

If they couldv'e done it earlier they would have. We were told previously that it was impossible to transfer all pokemon from the first generation to the present, and now it is possible. It's completely logical to ask why and how. I think we may be seeing a complete revamp for the second time in the franchise.

If they couldv'e done it earlier they would have. We were told previously that it was impossible to transfer all pokemon from the first generation to the present, and now it is possible. It's completely logical to ask why and how. I think we may be seeing a complete revamp for the second time in the franchise.
So rather than thinking that PokeBank, a cloud-based service, will be handling the computations needed to convert Gen I data into Gen VII data, you think they're going to revamp how IVs and EVs are programmed to be able to handle Gen I more easily, but complicate the handling the transfer of Gen VI?

It was impossible in the past because a GBA likely wouldn't have had the computing power needed to translate how Gen I coded the games to how Gen III coded them. Even if the computing power existing on the DS, the limiting factor was hardware issues--Gen I games simply couldn't communicate with the DS since it used cables while the DS used wireless (not to mention they had these hardware issues with the GBA link cables not being able to facilitate communication between GBC and GBA games in the first place)

The 3DS is literally the first time that we have cloud storage and Gen I VC meaning that hardware issues are no longer an issue. It makes more sense for PokeBank (or even SM) to have the ability to translate how Gen I Pokemon are coded into how Pokemon are currently coded, rather than Gen VII revamping the coding structure and complicating communications between Gen VI and VII, given that they're both released for the same handhelds. It would make more sense for PokeBank to do it since its hosted on a cloud server, which means there's no reason that Gen VI games can't have Gen I Pokemon. If SM does the recoding, then that would explain it, but the fact of the matter is that Bank would already have to be updated to hold Gen I and VI Pokemon data.

Last edited:
Did everyone enjoy the virtual releases?

I didn't play them at all. I am only waiting for Sun and Moon.

My only guess as to why the Generation 1 VC Pokemon can't be in Generation 6 is that they might have something new to them. Other than that... I have no idea.

Did everyone enjoy the virtual releases?

I didn't play them at all. I am only waiting for Sun and Moon.

I've finished Pokemon Blue and I enjoyed it. Still need to finish the others.

So rather than thinking that PokeBank, a cloud-based service, will be handling the computations needed to convert Gen I data into Gen VII data, you think they're going to revamp how IVs and EVs are programmed to be able to handle Gen I more easily, but complicate the handling the transfer of Gen VI?

It was impossible in the past because a GBA likely wouldn't have had the computing power needed to translate how Gen I coded the games to how Gen III coded them. Even if the computing power existing on the DS, the limiting factor was hardware issues--Gen I games simply couldn't communicate with the DS since it used cables while the DS used wireless (not to mention they had these hardware issues with the GBA link cables not being able to facilitate communication between GBC and GBA games in the first place)

The 3DS is literally the first time that we have cloud storage and Gen I VC meaning that hardware issues are no longer an issue. It makes more sense for PokeBank (or even SM) to have the ability to translate how Gen I Pokemon are coded into how Pokemon are currently coded, rather than Gen VII revamping the coding structure and complicating communications between Gen VI and VII, given that they're both released for the same handhelds. It would make more sense for PokeBank to do it since its hosted on a cloud server, which means there's no reason that Gen VI games can't have Gen I Pokemon. If SM does the recoding, then that would explain it, but the fact of the matter is that Bank would already have to be updated to hold Gen I and VI Pokemon data.

I understand what you're saying, and agree with most of it; however, it would've been possible in the DS era using a separate application. Either they chose not to then because they were waiting for the VC rereleases, it was technically impossible then, or a combination of both. IMHO I think they specifically chose not to at that time.

IDK if the bank will do the translation or if SM will, but what is obvious is that one or both applications will need to have the correct formula to do that. I'm so curious on the how it works and the why now.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, and agree with most of it; however, it would've been possible in the DS era using a separate application. Either they chose not to then because they were waiting for the VC rereleases, it was technically impossible then, or a combination of both. IMHO I think they specifically chose not to at that time.

IDK if the bank will do the translation or if SM will, but what is obvious is that one or both applications will need to have the correct formula to do that. I'm so curious on the how it works and the why now.
Well, speaking about Gen I to future gen transfer, these VC releases work on a (3)DS system, as opposed to what happens when you move too far up in the GBA's lineup (specifically the Micro) and especially moving on to the Nintendo DS. It wouldn't have allowed us to communicate with Gen I even if they were compatible because, unless they somehow made it on to a Gen III game, the Nintendo DS does not support Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games at all - making an app is pointless if the native hardware doesn't support the games in question.

I'm not gonna search 'em up now, too lazy, but isn't there a dedicated topic on this subject? Just a heads-up in case we take talk about the VC releases and Bank compatibility too far (which we might just do at this rate).

My only guess as to why the Generation 1 VC Pokemon can't be in Generation 6 is that they might have something new to them. Other than that... I have no idea.

The more likely reason is marketing. If people that buy'd RBY on VC wanted to buy another game, then it would likely be SM if they know they can ONLY transfer those Pokemon to SM.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it was technically possible since the GBA era - let us not underestimate the power of hardware and software- most things are technically possible in technology - in the end, we are just dealing with zeros and ones- the question is, are they feasible?
The amount it would've costed them to do, as well as the time and effort, according to what they thought, was more than the benefit they would've gained out of it. Let's also remember that the GBA era was necessarily not as nostalgic as we are now, and neither was the DS era. If they had done this back then it wouldn't have been a big deal as it is now. So it seems to me that it was more "the time is right" kind of thing. They need that nostalgia now, not just for the franchise in general but also because it's the 20th anniversary, and no doubt it didn't cost them as much to do it now as it would've back then, so it's more economically feasible.

So since this is the start of gen 7 reds record of appearing in every generation has been broken

Was he in Gen 5? I don't believe he was so the trend ends there rather with Gen 6.

EDIT: OH crap I forgot about the Pokemon world Tournament so never mind....lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom