• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I'm utterly delighted with what we've got today! What a wonderful time to be a Poke fan! And more news coming at e3, we're being spoiled!

Alola looks heart-stoppingly beautiful. My favourite part of gen 4 that I don't feel any of the other games ever achieved was a lovely afternoon/evening glow - the graphics for Sun/Moon seem to have got that just right/ I can see the sunset hitting the water...ahh...

The legendary typing is interesting! I'm happy Lunala ended up ghost type.

Lillie interests me. Rival? Champion? Secret evil team leader? Hmm.

The trainer art has made me fall in love with them. (But not that hat. Get that hat off your head, girl).

Uhm and that was the whole region? It still looks small... That would also mean little post game areas to explore if you're visiting them all in the main story...

The typings of the legendary are dissapointing. Sorry to say that but we already had Psychic/Steel multiple times before and Psychic/Ghost already had Hoopa.

Also the shirt of the female protagonist looks oversized in that artwork lol.

Personally I was a bit disappointed by the starter types. I mean, come on, Water, Fire, and Grass/Flying? How boring. Totally saw it coming. I was like oh boy I wonder what types the starters will be this time!

*sarcasm*

Seriously both typings are hardly repeated or common, not sure what there is to be disappointed about. One has three species and the other has a mythical legendary. I don't exactly see an abundance of either.

So the Pokedex has four sections like X & Y had three...

I hope it isn't a repeat of X & Y. e_e

Some exciting and some annoying things.

The Pros:

they achieved to make Alola different from Hoenn. It is nothing like Hoenn, and actually reminds me of Unova (which makes sense, as they are USA).
The legendaries feel awesome.
The Rotom Dex looks awesome! It appears that this time around the apps are part of the Pokedex. I hope it isnt a bit messy though!
Alola reminds me of the Orange Islands in shape and I am a fan of thr Orange Islands.

Negative:

The region is small, definitely smaller than Hoenn, Sinnoh and BW2 Unova. It will feel even smaller due to the upscaled world. You can basically walk around each island in no tima at all. Oh well, at least it´s bigger than Kanto or maybe even Johto.
The Professor is bland, but at least not an other Sycamore. The friends are very bland,like the Kalos friends.
The Graphics are clearly less polished and more edgy than Gen VI.

Don'tcha think it's kind of unfair to start declaring various characters "bland" when we've only had a total of like 12 seconds to see them?
I usually need a few seconds to decide if I like a character or not. But you do have a point.

Alola is the best region yet.

FIGHT ME

Super high-res region map: http://i.imgur.com/QyxiMKQ.jpg

You can see everything very clear. The far left island seems to have no housing on it and you can see a stairway leading to a platform. Guessing that's the legendary location :)

THANK YOU

I've been looking for this since the announcement.

I don't know how I should rescribe it, but something fells off if I look the map for the region. The region does look to edgy on mountainous areas and to straight forwards on beach and town segments. Somehow there's something lacking. Most likely the lack of something new. I don't mind another Castelia or Lumiose, but it looks like the cities are more straight forwards instead of trying multiple art sets for the towns. It's probably because Alola is once more a tropical region like Hoenn, but if I look to the towns then they are looking to much like towns we can already expect how they look. I miss something like Unova or Kalos towns. Unova had towns, that are not heavenly inspired of the real NY city making an contrast to Castelia city. Or Kalos having more unique towns like Laverre City with the "magical wonderland" setting or Anistar city. I can't see any city on the map having something similar unique. All towns look the same from above and the enviroments expect the volcano area on the southern island and the mid-right island just look to generic right now.

It feels like the Hoenn island parted into 4 pieces with the towns all looking similiar.

Super high-res region map: http://i.imgur.com/QyxiMKQ.jpg

You can see everything very clear. The far left island seems to have no housing on it and you can see a stairway leading to a platform. Guessing that's the legendary location :)
There is a similar location at the island where you can see snow. To the left of the snowy mountain you can see like a round platform in the water...looks like a legendary encounter location or something plot-related.

You can see that hotel from the teaser trailer on the mid-right island southern on the west coast.

On the map, there's a dark area on the bottom left mountain, maybe there's an upside down waterfall? There should be a moon dial around somewhere.

So the Pokedex has four sections like X & Y had three...

I hope it isn't a repeat of X & Y. e_e

Not necessarily. For example, there could be a total of 50 Pokémon per island, leading to a total of 200 in Alola's Pokédex. Personally I'm hoping this is the case. I'm getting kinda sick of massive dexes after the mess that was Kalos.

I've wanted a region based around islands, so this is perfect. I'm loving the HQ art.

The buildings seem so much more spread out to previous maps, I really like that. Maybe it's partially because its a series of islands, but Alola feels rather different to past regions.

So the Pokedex has four sections like X & Y had three.../QUOTE]

Maybe there's one Pokedex section per main island?

I'm not sure I understand this idea that Alola is a small region. Just from what I'm seeing on the map there's plenty to do and plenty of places to go. Each island seems packed to the brim. So land area is lessened but that's not unexpected for an archapelago.

Not necessarily. For example, there could be a total of 50 Pokémon per island, leading to a total of 200 in Alola's Pokédex. Personally I'm hoping this is the case. I'm getting kinda sick of massive dexes after the mess that was Kalos.

That would mean less pokemon to choose from and less pokemon other trainers can use. If it's gonna be handled like DP or BW with that low number and the same pokemon all the time, then thanks no.

Back
Top Bottom