• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

very good now we can choose what kind of battle we want hope only that here abilities and moves will also make sense in single battles.
Instruct in a royal battle will be interesting, but will it have enough hp and defences to survive it?

I had no problems with Sky Battles. Yes they can be restrictive but it is an interesting way to battle. I had fun using only Flying types and those with Levitate. If only there were Dragon vs Dragon only battles!

I hated sky battles. Not only were they restrictive as heck, but thanks to them quite a few pokemon got stuck with weird soaring sprites instead of a better sprite with them on the ground.

Xatu and Tropius come to mind. Also sort of Swellow. Flapping fliers is one thing but birds/etc. that look like they're gliding in place inches off the ground just looks SO stupid.

So, people sure do seem to think that Lillie is an Ultra Beast, but as a friendly reminder, we saw (In that E3 playthrough) that something was rustling around in her bag and made a cry like a Pokemon. This is just one reason to consider all of the possibilities.

I hated sky battles. Not only were they restrictive as heck, but thanks to them quite a few pokemon got stuck with weird soaring sprites instead of a better sprite with them on the ground.

Xatu and Tropius come to mind. Also sort of Swellow. Flapping fliers is one thing but birds/etc. that look like they're gliding in place inches off the ground just looks SO stupid.

And then ORAS go and introduce Soaring, which would have at least justified the existence of Sky Battles somewhat, and it doesn't even matter. You can use anything in battle while Soaring.

I really hope Sky Battles doesn't return. It was an awful concept that, as PinkIceFox mentions, gave a lot of Pokemon strange idle animations that are still lingering with us today.

It would be so nice to see many of them have nice idle animations where they stand on the ground, but I'm not holding my breath considering they didn't seem to change them in ORAS (I haven't played those games, though I'm starting to regret that so I think I'll get Alpha Sapphire in the near future).

Oh come on! Sky Battles weren't that bad. I actually enjoyed doing them. Things like Customization and Ash-Greninja are far worse in my opinion.

Sky Battles were an interesting concept that was executed rather poorly for me. It seriously limited what Pokemon you can use, some Pokemon had really weird sprites as a result of flying all the time and you only have a Sky Battle maybe a handful of times during X/Y. It wasn't the worst. It would probably rank pretty low on my list of issues with X/Y, but they weren't particularly good. If they could improve on them to make them more interesting, that would be fine, but out of all of the battle formats, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they never did anything with Sky Battles again. I don't use Double or Triple Battles much outside of places like the Battle Mansion, but at least those offer more strategy and I'm not significantly limited to what kind of Pokemon I can use right from the start.

It would be so nice to see many of them have nice idle animations where they stand on the ground, but I'm not holding my breath considering they didn't seem to change them in ORAS (I haven't played those games, though I'm starting to regret that so I think I'll get Alpha Sapphire in the near future).

It doesn't seem as though they have changed any of the models from XY/ORAS. In the most recent trailer, Salamence still hovers awkwardly without flapping its wings.

To be honest, I don't even mind the idea of having Salamence or Tropius with aerial models (I do think that Xatu would be better on the ground, though), I just wish that they flapped their wings. Hovering looks very unnatural.

(This is also going to bother me quite a bit when they don't edit Wailord's model to be closer to its proper size, while Alolan Exeggutor gets to have its long neck go delightfully out of frame).

Wait, what? Why would Rotation and Triple battles be gone? There's no way GameFreak would ditch battle styles like that after establishing them over the past two generations.
They removed Wonder Launcher after one generation.

It's just annoying that Game Freak doesn't put any effort in promoting alternate battle styles, and then they're surprised they are underused. If they had Triple and Rotation formats in the VGC, or in some years actually rotated between these formats, we'd probably have more people care about them. The competitive fandom didn't take to double battles for generations but the format got support from VGC :/

I didn't really like Triple Battles since it just seemed like Double+, but there were interesting strategies and mind games for Rotation Battles.

They removed Wonder Launcher after one generation.

It's just annoying that Game Freak doesn't put any effort in promoting alternate battle styles, and then they're surprised they are underused. If they had Triple and Rotation formats in the VGC, or in some years actually rotated between these formats, we'd probably have more people care about them. The competitive fandom didn't take to double battles for generations but the format got support from VGC :/

I didn't really like Triple Battles since it just seemed like Double+, but there were interesting strategies and mind games for Rotation Battles.

I understand, triples definitely wasn't for everyone. I personally don't like playing rotations but I like watching(Odd, I know) I completely agree though. GF didn't really try to in promotion and just pulled the plug on them too soon. Why not some tournmanets with other formats? It took a while for doubles to catch on, so the fact they're letting some meta games die off so soon makes me sad.

I'm still on the delusional small hope both are in somehow despite the screen shot.

I am slightly disappointed by the removal, but then again, it could come back in Gen 8? They seem to like removing features and then restoring them. (Day/Night cycle for instance).

There seems to be more emphasis on Double Battles in Generation VII. You have Oranguru with its move Instruct, Passimian with its ability Receiver and Tapu Koko + Alolan Raichu working well together. I have a feeling that there's possibly more of this emphasis to come.
was like that with oras as well

sceptiles lighting rod and swamperts swift swim, rayquazas/groudon/kyogres new ability all viable for doubles (and vgc that year had legionaries so it could be used)

So apparently Rotation and Triple battles may be gone.This link goes into that. I really, really hope that isn't the case since triples was my favorite format. It was getting decently popular, not sure why they removed it. I know its not Nearly as popular as singles and triples but for the minority of people like me, it sucks if true

This does not confirm their removal. They can still appear in standard play.

There seems to be more emphasis on Double Battles in Generation VII. You have Oranguru with its move Instruct, Passimian with its ability Receiver and Tapu Koko + Alolan Raichu working well together. I have a feeling that there's possibly more of this emphasis to come.

This ain't new. In gen V we also had moves suited for tag battles like heal pulse and ally switch and abilities such as telepathy and friend guard.

In gen VI we had florges with flower veil/symbiosis, aromatisse and aroma veil, slurpuff and sweet veil, and everyone with healer.. Even the main legendaries capitalizes on their ally empowering aura abilities.

I think it has just become more apparent in this gen since it's the gen that has had a lot of marketing and reveal via website and YouTube, unlike the previous gens..

Meanwhile, I think it's a good move that they start simplifying the battle format again, but I hope they won't do away with triple battle. Maybe lump it with rotation battle since they're both triple battle in essence, but not remove them altogether.

I am sure double battles would be included. Triple and rotation might be for battle places such as Battle Institute.

I think Triple and Rotation battles will still be a thing, but they will be exclusive to whatever this game's battle facility is.

Meanwhile, I think it's a good move that they start simplifying the battle format again, but I hope they won't do away with triple battle. Maybe lump it with rotation battle since they're both triple battle in essence, but not remove them altogether.
They both use three Pokemon, but Triple is basically "Double + 1" while Rotations is "Single, but you see most of my team and free switches"

Back
Top Bottom