• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Personally, I'm more a fan of the badges then the Z-Crystals in terms of their role, but I honestly didn't really miss the Gym Challenge too much when playing through Sun. The Trial Captains are more memorable then most of the previous Gym Leaders and the Totem Pokémon actually have pretty clever strategies to them whereas only some Gym Leaders can be tricky (popular examples being Whitney, Norman, Lenora, and Elesa) while most weren't as effective.

Granted, this group happens to be one to which 50% of the world's population belong XD I'm still annoyed that Professor Juniper got overshadowed like she did.

Maybe it's just me, but I never felt Juniper was overshadowed. Granted, having her father there stole some of her thunder, but she still had a very notable role in the region in BW and you'd see her around multiple times in the story and across the region and she honestly was more memorable then him. B2W2 also gave her a notable role in helping you find out more about Kyurem and she lurks around Mistralton and Celestrial tower whereas Cedric appears much less then he did in the previous games and all of it's in the post-game.

Regardless, I will admit that after playing Sun and thinking of the important NPCs, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized most of them were female. It was a neat thing to discover, even if it was unintentional.

Is it just me or is trading on the GTS crazily fast this gen? I mean even faster than past gens at this point of release?

I decided to test it by putting an Archen up and asking for a Cranidos. I was able to exit and enter (the GTS) just twice before the Pokemon was traded away, that was under a minute.

I guess it was a pretty good trade but still that was dang fast.

2204 lbs...

O____O how da **** did she carry this thing in her bag
Maybe you should ask Ash as well.
AfvN5lC.jpg

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-10-53-19-am1.png

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-10-52-40-am.png

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-10-53-09-am.png
You should also ask Max, Dawn, and Serena as well.
942988472763813520.jpg

xszq0fw0aiau032qbilp.jpg

Piloswine weighs 123 pounds.
013.jpg
I know what you mean, it's an example of weird physics. We have Pokemon that can't fly in sky battles in ORAS and throughout Pokemon's existence for almost 21 years, we can have battles in or on the ocean with Pokemon who can't swim and/or weak to water.

It bothers me that they couldn't make Cosmoem (and Celesteela I guess, and to a slightly lesser extent Primal Groudon) weight exactly 1000 kg or more.

Is there something preventing them from doing so?

Trials feel like all fluff and no substance.

First trial-fight 3 yungoos/ratata and its evolution.

Second-fight 2 wishiwashi and a big one.

Third-A joke trial.

Fourth-A somewhat involved fetch quest to fight the boss

Fifth Watching a black screen while answering easy questions for all non deaf.

Sixth- Press A next to 3 interactable locations.

Seventh-Walk down an empty hallway to the end.

They delivered on the story justification but not on gameplay.

Yeah, this was my main complaint with trials, they were promoted as special missions that involved a variety of tasks, but really it was just find the thing/answer correctly and then battle a Pokemon until you get to the Totem. Definitely a downgrade from gyms in that aspect, even when the gym puzzles have been dumbed down more and more they're still more varied and interesting than the trials.

heh, gen 7 only just released and I`m already looking forward to the gen 8 version of this thread :p

So we're discussing Trials vs Gyms? Here are my thoughts.

-Totem Pokemon vs Gym leaders: Trials win. Gym leaders had some troll strategies in the past but never to this level. Most totems had great synergy with their partners and posed a fun challenge.
-Gym trainers vs Trials' wild Pokemon: Gyms win. Both are unchallenging fodder, but at least gym trainers had some unseen species and sometimes talked about how they were under the leaders' tutelage, while the Trials' wild Pokemon were for the most part preevolved forms of the Totem.
-Gym puzzles vs Trials: Gyms win. I think we can agree that most trials do not requiere any particular analysis of the situation. It's true that gyms' puzzles have gotten easier with time, yet on average they win over trials by a mile.
-Badges vs Z-crystals: This one is personal preference. Some would like the unique design of badges while others would like gaining a battle boost. Either way I doubt we will be seeing crystals as trial rewards outside Alola games.

Trials were a good idea, but not well executed.

The totem were the best out of the trials, since some of them are decentöy challenging. Ok only Wishiwashi and Lurantis were good, but the other are at least no one hit kill. Problem here are the possiblities to kill them as well as the support pokemon. With a full team of six against one single strong pokemon and one "wild" pokemon, it was still quite easy, especially if you have super effective moves. It was pretty much a leader ace + wild pokemon the whole time. Support pokemon were mostly 1 hit kill and only a few of them are really helping the totem pokemon.

The wild pokemon in those trials were super easy and OH-KO for the most of them. The trials are lacking of excitement and the puzzles were mostly simple activities you can go through in under 5 minutes, especially since the trial areas are small except maybe for the jungle. My main problem here that they are way to short and mostly easy to really enjoy them. Favourite of the trials was by far Mallows one. Area is decently big and Lurantis was a challenge.

Refreshing experience, but I don't need them in future games. So I still like gyms more.

Trials were great in theory but some were just way too easy, I prefer the gym puzzles to some of the trials.

Oh you know what would be better? If Z-Crystals replaced TMs instead of badges. They don't really make great trophies for beating the trainers like badges do, but they are a definite upgrade over the extra TM the gym leaders throw in. We can always get those TMs somewhere else anyway, TMs aren't quite as special.

Technically speaking, the Z-Crystals kinda do replace TMs rather than Badges. The role that Badges previously filled (determining obedience) is now occupied by the Kahunas' stamps, which have aesthetics that are customized to each island, in a manner similar to the Badges having unique designs for each Leader. Additionally, you can view the stamps on your Passport, just as you could view your Badges on your Trainer Card.

It bothers me that they couldn't make Cosmoem (and Celesteela I guess, and to a slightly lesser extent Primal Groudon) weight exactly 1000 kg or more.

Is there something preventing them from doing so?

Yeah...I wondered this as well. Celesteela, Cosmoem and Primal Groudon all weigh the exact same weight. Cosmog evolving into Cosmoem is the heaviest evolution ever.

To the topic: I definitely preferred Trials over Gyms, for a variety of reasons, and I really liked the Kahuna stamps that you got after finishing the Grand Trials.

speaking on the stamps, I really like the idea just wish there was more variety of stamps you can earn.

You can actually earn quite a few, it's just that a lot of them have rather daunting requirements (Battle Tree milestones, completing the Pokédex, maxing out your Poké Finder, etc.).

You can actually earn quite a few, it's just that a lot of them have rather daunting requirements (Battle Tree milestones, completing the Pokédex, maxing out your Poké Finder, etc.).

yeah I know I meant more like things like X amount of eggs hatched, X amount fire types caught, 500 total wins, defend your title 20 times. just more stamps in general.

Here's all the stamps you can earn:
  • Official Pokemon Trainer: Become a Pokemon Trainer
  • Melemele Trial Completion: Complete the Melemele Island Trial (Pokemon up to lv. 35 will obey you)
  • Akala Trial Completion: Complete the Akala Island Trial (Pokemon up to lv. 50 will obey you)
  • Ula'Ula Trial Completion: Complete the Ula'Ula Island Trial (Pokemon up to lv. 65 will obey you)
  • Poni Trial Completion: Complete the Poni Island Trial (Pokemon up to lv. 80 will obey you)
  • Island Challenge Completion: Complete the Island Trial Challenge (All Pokemon will obey you)
  • Melemele Pokedex Completion: Register all Pokemon found on Melemele, starters included of course! :p
  • Akala Pokedex Completion: Register all Pokemon found on Akala
  • Ula'Ula Pokedex Completion: Register all Pokemon found on Ula'Ula
  • Poni Pokedex Completion: Register all Pokemon found on Poni
  • Alola Pokedex Completion: Register all Pokemon found in Alola, not Mythicals
  • 50 Consecutive Single Battle Wins: Achieve a 50 win streak in Singles at the Battle Tree
  • 50 Consecutive Double Battle Wins: Achieve a 50 win streak in Doubles at the Battle Tree
  • 50 Consecutive Multi Battle Wins: Achieve a 50 win streak in Multi at the Battle Tree
  • Poke Finder Pro: Unlock level 5, 1.5 million thumbs-up, of the Poke Finder

Back
Top Bottom