• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Technically speaking, the Z-Crystals kinda do replace TMs rather than Badges. The role that Badges previously filled (determining obedience) is now occupied by the Kahunas' stamps, which have aesthetics that are customized to each island, in a manner similar to the Badges having unique designs for each Leader. Additionally, you can view the stamps on your Passport, just as you could view your Badges on your Trainer Card.

Yeah, but I mean in the future they should really give you a Badge and a Z-Crystal, not just a Z-Crystal.

Badges are only for gyms. We got trials so badges are off the table for SM.

I mostly enjoyed the trials, but generally agree with the criticisms here.

And what really stings to me is this 'Let's make a League to show other Region's what we're made of!' subplot. I honestly found that to be kind of intrusive and extraneous. The islands have this unique culture as a major selling point, and people were so ready for a new structure to the series...Then we go right back to having a League as the finale with Gyms potentially around the corner. It was fun to become Champion and defend the title, but I don't get why we doubled back so quickly. I think this new idea could stand to be more fleshed out.

And what really stings to me is this 'Let's make a League to show other Region's what we're made of!' subplot. I honestly found that to be kind of intrusive and extraneous. The islands have this unique culture as a major selling point, and people were so ready for a new structure to the series...Then we go right back to having a League as the finale with Gyms potentially around the corner. It was fun to become Champion and defend the title, but I don't get why we doubled back so quickly. I think this new idea could stand to be more fleshed out.

Well from what we learn, what would have taken place without the League would have basically been... the Elite Four, just by another name. Kukui explains that before now, the island challenges were concluded by having the challenger take on all four Kahunas in a row. Which, hell, even with the League, is still half-way what happens (and would have been 3/4ths if not for Nanu's refusal).

I initially had my concerns about Alola developing its own League, but I think it works. It's all worked into Kukui's character, or at least, the construction of the Pokémon League is. He was inspired by his experience against the Indigo Elite Four, and has a deep pride in Alola, so he wants to create a League to show the other regions what Alola has to offer, in the form of an officially recognized Champion (the island challenge, being a local custom, only seems to mean something to Alolans). I think that's wonderful, that the Professor has his own goal for once, aside from having conscripted peons strapping up-and-comers complete the Pokédex for him/her. And it allowed them the triple-whammy of satisfying two of the fandom's most requested ideas (final fight with the Professor, and letting us defend our title), and also allowing us to literally make history as a region's first Champion. In a way, it almost feels like a form of character development for the region itself.

As it stands, we don't know for certain that there will be Gyms (it does look somewhat likely, but it's far from confirmed), but even if there are, I don't think that's an idea without potential. How will more traditional Alolans react to that? How will the Trial Captains and Kahunas react? Will some of them approve of the coexistence (I assume that the island challenge won't be outright replaced, anyway)? Will some indeed see it as and infringement on Alola's culture? Maybe some of the Captains/Kahunas will prefer the Gyms - I could see that being the way that Mina goes, since she seemed to have some trouble connecting with the Trial concept. Plus, we know from Mallow's subplot in Moon that you can only be a Trial Captain until you turn twenty, and then you have to resign and find a job elsewhere. But that doesn't seem to be the case for Gym Leaders - that could open up new opportunities for some of the Captains.

That is all, of course, not to say that they will handle the idea well. But I think the possibility for something good is certainly there.

As it stands, we don't know for certain that there will be Gyms (it does look somewhat likely, but it's far from confirmed), but even if there are, I don't think that's an idea without potential. How will more traditional Alolans react to that? How will the Trial Captains and Kahunas react? Will some of them approve of the coexistence (I assume that the island challenge won't be outright replaced, anyway)? Will some indeed see it as and infringement on Alola's culture? Maybe some of the Captains/Kahunas will prefer the Gyms - I could see that being the way that Mina goes, since she seemed to have some trouble connecting with the Trial concept. Plus, we know from Mallow's subplot in Moon that you can only be a Trial Captain until you turn twenty, and then you have to resign and find a job elsewhere. But that doesn't seem to be the case for Gym Leaders - that could open up new opportunities for some of the Captains.

That is all, of course, not to say that they will handle the idea well. But I think the possibility for something good is certainly there.

Hmm, well I'm not sure a lot of them really care all that much. Kiawe and Hapu might, they seem to be the most likely to care about Alola's traditions, but the rest of them don't seem to feel too strongly about the Trial system that they'd be opposed to transitioning to gyms so I can see most of them transitioning to gym leaders. Beyond that, I don't see Nanu and Mina remaining a part of the League, Nanu doesn't seem to be very interested in battling and implies that he only took the Kahuna position because of Tapu Bulu, and Mina wouldn't have much more luck as a gym leader because she'd still have to design a puzzle for her gym (plus as I said, the League realistically probably wouldn't approve someone like that to be a gym leader). That's also something that might benefit ex-Team Skull members like Guzma or Plumeria, as they don't need the Tapus' approval to become gym leaders, the League would probably be more willing to accept them after they show they've reformed. I don't think it'll be a huge shakeup for the region, a lot of the remaining Trial Captains are likely to stay, but it would be interesting to see how this affects them.

Mina wouldn't have much more luck as a gym leader because she'd still have to design a puzzle for her gym (plus as I said, the League realistically probably wouldn't approve someone like that to be a gym leader).

Well, she's a very flighty, mercurial artist. I think she could have some radical ideas waiting to be implemented, but she's having trouble working that into the "traditional" framework of a Trial. She may just have artist's block. Gyms, being much more "modernist" in comparison, could be just the spark of inspiration she needs.

As to whether the League would hire her, I don't think we really know enough about their criteria in order to say for sure. As it stands, two of Johto's Leaders are known to have thrown tantrums upon being defeated and refused to confer their Badges, one of Kalos's Elite Four is a witness-protected genocide conspirator, one of Unova's Leaders spends basically all of his time swimming, and I don't think Mina's really all that far of a cry from Valerie, who was just as spacey and fey.

Besides, if Looker was able secure Malva's job, then I'm definitely sure he could throw in a good word for Mina after her helpful contribution to his UB investigation (in addition to witnessing her battle against Alola's first Champion).

That's also something that might benefit ex-Team Skull members like Guzma or Plumeria, as they don't need the Tapus' approval to become gym leaders, the League would probably be more willing to accept them after they show they've reformed. I don't think it'll be a huge shakeup for the region, a lot of the remaining Trial Captains are likely to stay, but it would be interesting to see how this affects them.

I do love this point. At the very least, the grunts could score jobs as Gym Trainers. I think that'd be a lovely way for them to redeem themselves, and for them to take part in helping Alola's up-and-coming Trainers in a way they weren't allowed to before.

(Although I still want to see parts of them actually form Team Reskull - but that feels about as likely to happen as my other wish of seeing the Saturn-led version of Team Galatic that is a reformed, legitimate energy corporation.)

What if Stars' story is traditionalism, the Trials, vs modernism, the Gyms? One group hates the Gyms outright and feel that they go against Alola's traditions. Another group hates the Trials, Team Skull returns perhaps, and feel that Alola should become more modern.

I wouldn't mind it if the Tapu quartet destroyed the gyms and league out of disgust.

Yeah but then a 10 year old would catch them and put them in a PC box and then they'd just rebuild the league again.

To be fair though, have we seen anything that would really suggest the Tapus care about a league being built? If I recall the only people who were opposed to it was Team Skull and it didn't have anything to do with tradition.

Ehh gameplay wise the trials don't do enough.

Just how much of a difference is answering a question then fighting a Charjabug/Salandit from answering a question in Blaine's gym and battling a trainer?

Are you really doing anything different hunting for mushrooms than hunting for trash cans?

Mimikyu and raticate and wishiwashi is just your standard fight all gym trainer to unlock the boss fest.

Kommo-o is the laziest of them all.

What if Stars' story is traditionalism, the Trials, vs modernism, the Gyms? One group hates the Gyms outright and feel that they go against Alola's traditions. Another group hates the Trials, Team Skull returns perhaps, and feel that Alola should become more modern.
Yeah, that's something should happen, Gyms vs Trials, they're hints that gyms might return in Stars.

That sort of reminds me of the 'truth vs. ideals' plot of Black and White. It would be nice to see.

Are you really doing anything different hunting for mushrooms than hunting for trash cans?
That was actually my favorite one. I guess fundamentally these examples aren't that different, but the process of exploring that thick natural environment as opposed to a Gym full of cans did put me in a different state of mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just in general I like the idea of having us interact with nature/dungeons/Pokemon habitats as a challenge over Gym Battles. Although the quizzes were disappointing.

Last edited:
That sort of reminds me of the 'truth vs. ideals' plot of Black and White. It would be nice to see.

It reminds me more of the traditionalism vs. progressivism aesthetic of those games (I won't call it a "theme" because they didn't really explore it as one). While I love BW, I've always felt like the whole "truth vs. ideals" thing is kinda... hollow? Maybe... superficial? Because they don't ever really, in either game, discuss how the two concepts differ - instead they tend to use the words as nothing more than centralizing faux-losophical labels that are completely interchangeable. Frankly I think Zinnia's single line about truth and ideals in ORAS manages to illustrate a considerably more nuanced contrast between the two than anything in BW did.

it's funny, when it was first leaked I kind of hated dhelmise, but noticing the teeth marks on its anchor and seeing its animations has completely flip flopped my opinion of it. It's very possibly my favorite alola pokemon atm. I love using never-ending nightmare on mine, it has a sick animation and it murders so much shit.

It is becoming increasingly harder to not want to solo the rest of my Sun run with Mudsdale. This guy is ridiculously powerful for the main game.

Well Movie 20 was just revealed, looks like gen 7 is gonna stick around til 2019. Ash Pikachu for the event this year, and 2018 with Marshadow as the gen 7 movie proper.

Well Movie 20 was just revealed, looks like gen 7 is gonna stick around til 2019. Ash Pikachu for the event this year, and 2018 with Marshadow as the gen 7 movie proper.
Or they pull a Volcanion-Magearna stunt again for 2018.

Back
Top Bottom