• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

From that list of references, Kanto's and maybe Johto's stick the most out and is the most prominent. Sinnoh's only real note-worthy mentions are the Dimensional Research Lab mentioning Palkia, Giratina and Bronzong. And Type: Null's materials found at Canalave Library.

I'm not completely convinced that all the Kanto nods really mean anything in the long run. No, it's only coming across as Game Freak trying to cram as much Gen I references into the 20th anniversary games as feasibly possible.

Kanto as a region is boring and outdated, it would need a massive redesign to work, with cities being bigger and more visually attactive landmarks.
The gen 1 Pokemon also bore me, instead of seeing them as trips to my childhood I see them as a group of pesky monsters that have plagated every game that came afterwards, I only like a few of them.
However, I would be willing to give a Kanto game a chance if it does to SM what ORAS did to XY. ORAS kept most features of XY and added a great story, now we need a game that keeps the story focus of SM but that also has well-thought and enjoyable features.

If the Kanto games are anything like ORAS, then I don't have much hope for it. Despite liking Hoenn, I just couldn't like ORAS. I felt that they were poor remakes even behind LGFR.

I hope that they'll more be like BW or Platinum or Emerald. Those three had the best stories.

If the Kanto games are anything like ORAS, then it is clear they will be very solid games. We can hope the Kanto games come at least close to ORAS in terms of the amount of content, gameplay polish, music, etc.

Last edited:
Tone down the harping on ORAS or any past games, please. You can state your hopes for the future without resorting to petty arguments about which game is best.

We don´t need to tone down anything. We are simply expressing opinions on a subject and you are free to read it, or ignore it.

Last edited:
What the heck...?

Can someone give me a breakdown of what the current conversation is? Comparisons to Oras don't exactly seem apt with Kanto in my opinion.

What the heck...?

Can someone give me a breakdown of what the current conversation is? Comparisons to Oras don't exactly seem apt with Kanto in my opinion.
In a shellnut, the current conversation is about another Kanto remake with all the content of ORAS.

If it ends up being a proper sequel, sure, BW2 level of change should be the aim, or more. (But I was talking about amount of content, not amount of change in the region.)

Last edited:
I don't think there should be a question that if Kanto is revisited during this generation, it will happen in a sequel rather than another remake. They aged Red and Blue by 10+ years and sent Lillie to Kanto, which would have no effect on remakes.

I'd rather see Kanto go beyond OR/AS and aim for B2W2's level of change.

The actual amount of change to the region should be massive of course, but the comparisons to ORAS are referring to the amount of content the games would/should have.

Personally I think that's a rather hazy issue and that the ways in which we measure the "amount" of content in a game are quite subjective.

I'd rather see Kanto go beyond OR/AS and aim for B2W2's level of change.

A million times this. Sticking with ORAS style is certainly better than FRLG, but sticking to that style limits their ability to solve certain issues with the region. There's not much they can do with the regional dex or expanding the region in that game because they have to stick with the same storyline path and a lot of the same Pokemon as they had in the original and several regions, most of all Kanto, have issues in those aspects of the game. It's truly a shame that BW2 hasn't had a larger impact on how Game Freak approaches old regions (or at least not yet), it makes returning to old regions a lot more exciting. I would love to see a Kanto game with new Pokemon in the Kanto Dex, new areas added to the north, and development of older areas to give them more of an identity.

As far as the amount of content per game, I would say that the region should be Hoenn/Sinnoh size, the content of generation debut games should be on par with DP/BW1, and the content of third versions/sequels/remakes should be on par with Platinum/HGSS/BW2.

It seems Pokemon Bank is finally updated. I just hope to Arceus that none of the Pokemon I stored in PokeBank will be deleted when I updated it. God, I saved a whole crap ton of Pokemon on there just to transfer them to Sun and Moon.

It seems Pokemon Bank is finally updated. I just hope to Arceus that none of the Pokemon I stored in PokeBank will be deleted when I updated it. God, I saved a whole crap ton of Pokemon on there just to transfer them to Sun and Moon.
Do not worry; they are safe. I checked my own, and was surprised to see my blue pentagon mons opaque and visible - though I imagine that once the transfer is done to put them in a Gen VII game, they cannot return to Gen VI.

If the Kanto games are anything like ORAS, then I don't have much hope for it. Despite liking Hoenn, I just couldn't like ORAS. I felt that they were poor remakes even behind LGFR.

I hope that they'll more be like BW or Platinum or Emerald. Those three had the best stories.
They is literally no way to think Ora's was worse then frlg when all frlg added was sevvi islands. And this is coming from someone who started with fire red.

They is literally no way to think Ora's was worse then frlg when all frlg added was sevvi islands. And this is coming from someone who started with fire red.
How good a game is, is subjective. So I would rather much prefer LGFR than ORAS.

So Stars being like ORAS wouldn't be very appealing to me. I want something more like BW-quality.

Even ORAS would be an improvement over FRLG. ORAS at least had some enhancements to the storyline and gameplay. FRLG was a blatant copy/paste job with a post game tacked on.

Back
Top Bottom