• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

eh....to be fair, the post-game bits of FRLG add just about the same amount of depth as the "enhancements" ORAS had with the storyline.

Not really. There wasn't really much of a story in FRLG's post game and they didn't really flesh out any of the characters from the original, just added new ones. Gameplay wise, the game still didn't have anything equivalent to contests or secret bases, it just had a mini game place and a generic battle facility and that's pretty much it.

If we are going to be subjective, any Pokemon game can be better than any other Pokemon game because it is a matter of Personal taste.

If we are going to be objective, and at the risk of sounding repetitive, ORAS is evidently superior to FRLG (and that is without counting the superiority in graphics and up-to-date mechanics, which would be an unfair point to compare them).

Anyway, I wonder what the rest of Gen VII will bring. Maybe remakes this generation for the Switch? Or would that be too early and we have to wait for Gen VIII?

If we are going to be subjective, any Pokemon game can be better than any other Pokemon game because it is a matter of Personal taste.

If we are going to be objective, and at the risk of sounding repetitive, ORAS is evidently superior to FRLG (and that is without counting the superiority in graphics and up-to-date mechanics, which would be an unfair point to compare them).

Which is your subjective opinion, there is nothing objective about saying one game is better than the other. There is no checklist or whatever that decided what makes a game 'objectively' good, everyone has different things they like, so saying a game is 'good' is always a subjective opinion.

It's not impossible to judge things by your own personal opinion. That doesn't mean that one opinion is going to be the universally correct one.

There is a point when we can become so "politically correct" that it´s just boring to have a debate about practically anything.

ORAS is an objectively better game than FRLG (a lot more content, a better plot with more fleshed out characters, a lot more Pokemon to catch, etc), which doesn´t mean that FRLG cant´ be subjectively better for some people.

For example, FRLG is objectively better than RBGY, even though a lot of people subjectively prefer RBGY due to nostalgia/whatever.

Last edited:
At no point did anyone say people shouldn't express their opinions at all. The point is just that people cannot say that their opinions are the most correct ones. To say one opinion is "objectively true" hinders debate and discussion far more than respecting differences in opinion.

The list you gave of reasons ORAS should be considered better than FRLG is itself subjective. While some people enjoy having more Pokemon to catch, others are frustrated with the amount of effort it would take to complete the PokeDex. While some people enjoy a more fleshed-out plot, others may find it distracting to other features of the game.

That's not at all to say that anyone's wrong for enjoying a game, expressing their opinion about it, or debating why they feel that way. But to say "these games are better, that's a fact, end of discussion" isn't helping anyone.

Saying that something is 'objectively' better is saying that your opinion is a fact. And as TechSkylander explained, it hinders discussion since you're saying that everyone else's opinion is invalid, so please don't do that. ORAS being a remake of RSE is a fact (objective), ORAS being better than any of the other games is an opinion (subjective).

And now it's time to get back on-topic, please.

Sun and Moon sure were exciting to play the first time. But some features could really be improved upon, looking at you Festival Plaza. While some other features were done beautifully like Pelago.

I hope to see some improvement if there is an improved version on its way. :)

Saying that something is 'objectively' better is saying that your opinion is a fact. And as TechSkylander explained, it hinders discussion since you're saying that everyone else's opinion is invalid, so please don't do that. ORAS being a remake of RSE is a fact (objective), ORAS being better than any of the other games is an opinion (subjective).
But saying that "no game is objectively better than an other game, it is all subjective opinions" is political correctness 100%.

If you don´t like me using "ORAS" as the example because... "reasons"... ok, but then I will use FRLG vs RBGY as an example´to prove that some games *are* objectively better than others:

it is an objective fact that FRLG is better than RBGY, for example. Saying it is "just my opinion" is distorting reality. Anybody is free to like or dislike one more than the other, but FRLG is better than RBGY just like 2+2 = 4.

I suppose I am also not allowed to say that Marlon Brando is an objectively better actor than Arnold Scwarzenegger? Or that Messi is an objectively better soccer player than Aritz Aduriz? Or that Real Madrid is an objectively better soccer team than Portsmouth?

Sure, you can say it is "just my subjective opinion" but... is it really subjective?

But ok, sorry for going off topic...

Last edited:
Think about it this way. The opinion that FRLG are better than RGBY is still a subjective opinion, and though there may be reviews and many people agreeing with you, it doesn't change that factor in the slightest. Sure, there may be cases in which a game did objectively better by sales, or have objectively more content overall, but it's still subject to opinion on whether or not these games were worth playing.

Just because a game has loads of content compared to a previous entry, doesn't mean that it makes a game objectively better - and though this is an extreme example, look at Super Smash Bros. Brawl compared to Melee. There are aspects about it that are awesome, but other aspects which are shunned (especially for competitive purposes), and though it has more content, almost every time I see people prefer Melee for one reason or another. Heck, even if it there were games that were a clear and solid 100% improvement over its predecessor, that's still a subjective opinion (though one that may be commonly agreed on by most).

(I'm not sure what the subject we're trying to return to is, could someone fill me in on that?)

(I'm not sure what the subject we're trying to return to is, could someone fill me in on that?)
Basically just general discussion on Gen 7. (This thread doesn't exactly have a specific subject in mind, but debating subjectivity vs objectivity is pretty clearly not the topic in mind :p)

I want to give a shout out to Hitoshi Ariga for a second. I only just noticed this the other day (for Sun/Moon, I already knew the XY Pokemon he designed) but according to the bulbapedia page he designed these Pokemon:

Alolan Geodude
Alolan Graveler
Alolan Golem
Alolan Grimer
Alolan Muk
Pangoro
Inkay
Malamar
Honedge
Doublade
Aegislash
Tyrunt
Tyrantrum
Amaura
Aurorus
Grubbin
Charjabug
Vikavolt
Minior
Drampa

It's a pretty awesome list, especially Malamar and Drampa....which were actually are my favourite gen 6 and gen 7 Pokemon. It's kinda crazy to think that the same guy made both of my favourite Pokemon from the two most recent generations.

Hopefully he'll keep designing Pokemon in the future. Also I'd love if they revealed more artists behind specific Pokemon designs, that would be super cool.

I want to give a shout out to Hitoshi Ariga for a second. I only just noticed this the other day (for Sun/Moon, I already knew the XY Pokemon he designed) but according to the bulbapedia page he designed these Pokemon:

Alolan Geodude
Alolan Graveler
Alolan Golem
Alolan Grimer
Alolan Muk
Pangoro
Inkay
Malamar
Honedge
Doublade
Aegislash
Tyrunt
Tyrantrum
Amaura
Aurorus
Grubbin
Charjabug
Vikavolt
Minior
Drampa

It's a pretty awesome list, especially Malamar and Drampa....which were actually are my favourite gen 6 and gen 7 Pokemon. It's kinda crazy to think that the same guy made both of my favourite Pokemon from the two most recent generations.

Hopefully he'll keep designing Pokemon in the future. Also I'd love if they revealed more artists behind specific Pokemon designs, that would be super cool.

So the same guy designed Aegislash, Aurorus, Vikavolt & Drampa. That's interesting, as I really like all three of those. I'm hoping he's back for Gen VIII.

I am not really a fan of those, but Hitoshi Ariga is cool. He worked on the Klonoa manga and is now designing and scripting a movie based on the first game.

His favorite Pokemon is Misdreavus. He should make more critters like that.

I'm just glad we don't have to participate in Battle Competitions in order to get the missing mega stones.

Back
Top Bottom