• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Just give us an actual Trio this time. I was disappointed when we found out that Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde were the only 6th Gen In Game Legends.

I've been wanting a Nordic God Trio since BW were announced.

Thor- Electric/Fighting
Loki- Dark/Fairy
Odin- Psychic

hmmm? we had fire/water in 6gen?
maybe now fire/grass, water/grass?
also fairy, ghost and other type based megas against dragon domination?

If they do have it be stage 2 starters on the boxes (which I doubt) I want the grass type to be on a box. The would be great, the revenge of the Grass type starter.

Fire/Poison Sun mascot and Rock/Fairy Moon mascot?

I think it would actually be pretty cool if the version mascots of Sun/Moon weren't legendaries but rather, Stage 2 evolutions of the starters ala Red/Green/Blue. That would naturally lead to Sun's mascot being the Fire-type starter's final evolution, with Moon being the Water-type's.
If we are to continue the trend of legendary mascots however, I will gladly join the camp of people hoping they won't be dragons. I think an obvious source of inspiration would be solar and lunar deities with a close relationship, which exist in just about every culture. Regardless of the specific inspiration though, I would them to have a typing like Fire/Fairy for Sun's mascot and Water/Dark for Moon's; two mascots with both an advantage and weakness to the other. I think it's also about time we had a Poison-type legendary in some capacity.

A friend suggested that the narrative of the games may revolve around an eclipse due to it being a cosmic event involving both the sun and moon, which fits as the two versions will likely have a near-identical story. In which case, I would love to see a legendary based on the Chinese myth that an eclipse is caused by a sacred dog biting a chunk out of the sun though; that sounds really cute!
inb4 we get a plot twist. There will only be two starters in this game, one for Sun and one for Moon, and it'll turn out that their final stages have Primal Reversions that are actually the legendary duo of the region!

If they do have it be stage 2 starters on the boxes (which I doubt) I want the grass type to be on a box. The would be great, the revenge of the Grass type starter.
YESS!! ALL HAIL THE GREEN!!!

But looking at colour schemes, it only makes sense to have the Fire and Water starters( :( ) , though I doubt they'd do it anyway....

hmmm? we had fire/water in 6gen?
maybe now fire/grass, water/grass?
also fairy, ghost and other type based megas against dragon domination?
Well we actually already have Water/Grass type Pokemon..... But another one that's Legendary, why not.
Maybe a Fire/Grass Pokemon based off a burning forest... Though we've had tree-based Pokemon already....
Yes to the movement against Dragon domination!

Just give us an actual Trio this time. I was disappointed when we found out that Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde were the only 6th Gen In Game Legends.

Thor- Electric/Fighting
Loki- Dark/Fairy
Odin- Psychic
I want this. I really, really want this. "Thor" could be the mascot for Sun and "Loki" for Moon. It would be glorious. :D

Thor- Electric/Fighting
Loki- Dark/Fairy
Odin- Psychic

I've been itching for an Egyptian myth-based trio for years, and think it would fit quite well with the whole "Sun/Moon" thing.

For the Sun mascot, I can imagine it resembling either Khepri, Ra, or Sekhmet.
For the Moon Mascot, I could see a Pokemon version of Khnum, Thoth, or Hathor...

Aren't Iah and Khonsu the Egyptian lunar deities?
Khnum represents the setting sun, and Thoth is sometimes associated with the moon. Not sure about Hathor....

EDIT: Intended for these proposed mascots to be based on "alter egos"/"rivals" in Egyptian myth. Iah and Khonsu don't seem to have that animal theme going on, and thus, IMHO, wouldn't be super interesting...

Khnum represents the setting sun, and Thoth is sometimes associated with the moon. Not sure about Hathor....
I'd argue that the setting sun is still, well, the sun. It's not Pokemon Night version. Hathor was a sky goddess, but more closely identified with the sun than the moon. As I said, Iah and Khonsu were more widely recognized as gods of the moon.

Just realized... Horus could be either version, or even the trio Master, as his eyes were said to be both the sun AND the moon.

Also, the folks at Game Freak have been known to take a few liberties here and there regarding legendary Pokemon mythos.

Also, the folks at Game Freak have been known to take a few liberties here and there regarding legendary Pokemon mythos.
Yeah, but there's no reason to shoehorn something into a role it wasn't intended to fit when there are alternatives that already fit that role.

Iah doesn't have an image (besides his name in Hieroglyphics) on Wikipedia, and I'm not sure if Khonsu is too obscure or not. Thoth is relatively well-known IIRC.

Iah doesn't have an image (besides his name in Hieroglyphics) on Wikipedia, and I'm not sure if Khonsu is too obscure or not. Thoth is relatively well-known IIRC.
Thoth is better-suited to another role, one more in keeping with his status as a wise scholar. The relative obscurity of Iah or Khonsu doesn't matter much, since GF have proven that they are willing to dip into obscure sources for inspiration - Rayquaza is based on Ziz, an obscure creature from Jewish folklore which receives only passing mention in a single book of the Tanakh.

I like to see: Fire/Poison (Sun mascot), Rock/Dark (Moon mascot), Dragon, Fairy/Ice and Electric/Fighting legendary pokemon. Magearna would be the mythical pokemon of course. I like no previous gen pokemon since we had many from ORAS which were the last games except for Zygarde which needs to be addressed.

I can only hope the type combination for both mascots are not ones we've already seen. We need something new. Maybe for the moon version legendary it could be Ghost/Water with an ability to negate special attacks and Electric/Fire for the sun version legendary with the same ability or opposite.

I can only hope the type combination for both mascots are not ones we've already seen. We need something new. Maybe for the moon version legendary it could be Ghost/Water with an ability to negate special attacks and Electric/Fire for the sun version legendary with the same ability or opposite.
I can get behind these typings, if not necessarily the abilities. I especially like the Electric typing on the Sun mascot, which I assume references the fact that the sun is made of plasma.

Back
Top Bottom