• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Saw this shared on another site

zwfpMFO.png

Solgaleo being based on an astronaut seems pretty plausible with the majority white, red bands, shoe-like feet and visor head.

Not sure about Lunaala being based on a satellite exactly, but I can definitely see where someone would get it from so it could work.

Not sure about Lunaala being based on a satellite exactly, but I can definitely see where someone would get it from so it could work.
Well, I guess that could be attributed to what it looks like when it uses what is presumably its signature move. Think about all the Kill Sats you've seen in other media!

The legends are decent. With Solgaleo I expected something more Zord-like, with a more imposing eyes and snout and with less white, but is still solid and imposing. With Lunaala, I expected something more majestic, fairy-like and with a more simple shape, but what we got is still got. I liked the similarities between two legends, with their helmets and everything.

The boxarts are great, I didn't expected that they would include the sun and the moon, and I love the way they were used on opposing positions.

The biggest gripe I had is that Sun's icon isn't that much similar to Solgaleo's head. I already suffered a lot when Xerneas didn't look like an X, so here we go again. :cry:
Solgaleo being based on an astronaut seems pretty plausible with the majority white, red bands, shoe-like feet and visor head.

Nice! The more I see it, Solgaleo is an astronaut and Lunaala is an alien.

Both of them look awesome, but I think I like Solgaleo a little more.

As for what types I think they are:

Super bold and really unlikely prediction: There will be two new types, Light and Cosmic. Solgaleo is Light/Cosmic and Lunaala is Dark/Cosmic.

Safer prediction: Solgaleo is pure Fire and Lunaala is pure Dark.

For typings I'll go with mhm... Fire/Electric and Fairy/Ghost. Lunaala doesn't look much like a Fairy, I know, but I just can't see the Moon Pokemon not being a Fairy after all the connections to the moon they've made with it. Fire/Electric is just me wanting it, but I think pure Fire or maybe Fire/Psychic are probably more likely.

Oh my god that lion looks amazing. Lunaala... Not so much. I'm not really sure what's wrong with it... Just that it looks... Wrong.
For typings, I think it's pretty safe to assume Solgaleo's fire/something (or straight fire). I'm thinking probably Fire/Electric. I know Zeb said Fire/Electric feels unlikely, but it just has that look to it. Something about it screams "Fiery lion with electric undertones" to me. For Lunaala: Definitely Dark/something, Dark/Fairy or Ghost.
The legends are decent. With Solgaleo I expected something more Zord-like
Do you mean "Zoid-like"?
The biggest gripe I had is that Sun's icon isn't that much similar to Solgaleo's head. I already suffered a lot when Xerneas didn't look like an X, so here we go again. :cry:
Look at Solgaleo front on. You'll start seeing it.

My type prediction is fire and fairy/dark or maybe fairy/ghost, to justify seeing Lunaala flying.

Do you mean "Zoid-like"?
Whatever the term is to describe the things in Power Rangers.
Look at Solgaleo front on. You'll start seeing it
A little bit, but it's not as natural as Yveltal and Lunaala.

Whatever the term is to describe the things in Power Rangers.
Oh, you're referring to the Tiger Megazord thing? Use "mecha-like", I guess that's the right term, heh.

A little bit, but it's not as natural as Yveltal and Lunaala.
I'd have to agree on this one. It's far more extravagant - that's probably why the Sun symbol is embedded in its forehead.

zwfpMFO.png

Ahh, this is very cool if true. I think it makes sense, although Lunaala seems it slight bit more of a stretch. Maybe once we know a little more about it.

zwfpMFO.png

The visor/LCD screen they both have makes me think these legendaries are like Deoxys, an alien life form that crashland/comes to the pokemon world. Their intent is misinterpreted therefore go into hiding (i.e. become legends) until they meet the player or are drawn out by the villainous team. There are reports of UFOs and USOs in Hawaii. Maybe the developer included this phenomenon into the game's plot?

Last edited:
Both of them look awesome, but I think I like Solgaleo a little more.

As for what types I think they are:

Super bold and really unlikely prediction: There will be two new types, Light and Cosmic. Solgaleo is Light/Cosmic and Lunaala is Dark/Cosmic.

Safer prediction: Solgaleo is pure Fire and Lunaala is pure Dark.

Pretty sure Fairy is supposed to basically be Light. With the whole it beats Dark thing, Cosmic, though, that's an interesting one. There's already a move named after it (Cosmic Power), that's actually not a bad idea, but I'd prefer no new types for a generation or two, but hey, we'll get what we get.

Obligatory "The Dark type is actually the Evil type and refers to cheating in combat, not the absence of light; its 'opposite' is the Fighting type" rundown.

I don't usually try to guess typings, but I'll throw something out there this time. We know that cosmic/space-y stuff is usually associated with the Psychic type, so maybe they will be Fire/Psychic and Flying/Psychic. I don't think that their types necessarily need to reflect their day/night or light/darkness connotations. Many people thought that Reshiram and Zekrom would be typed according to their light/dark duality, too, but look at how that went. They can play around with Solgaleo and Lunaala's day/night associations in more interesting and dynamic ways through their Abilities, anyway.

I finally captured maybe the Lunaala signature move... from various videos?... I think.. just aware of this after I see my screenshoot captures...

Such a beauty....

bd594ce51203937a8f1b474fcee31fbe.jpg

e184f9048302b3502555cc016b0eafe0.jpg

08dca1abe2024ad434866aae3c8961be.jpg

f6af365422fda4d02736c4fadc41db2e.jpg

eb21150fea5f584f568baa766cee7410.jpg

d6c4b48079608596f145cffea9e34ebb.jpg

853985f44ba085c740b0fda6e9970563.jpg

The Moon legendary looks so impressive when it makes a circle with its wings and tail. Truly a spectacle.

Does anyone know if these legends are based on some kind of real-world mythology?
One of them is easy enough.

Lion and Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could also be references to the Egyptian solar lion deities Aker, Sekhmet and Bastet.

Not sure what the moon legendary is yet.

Edit: After some thought, I'm inclined to think it may be a reference to the Islamic star and crescent.

Last edited:
Lunaala looks like someone gave Olympia a mega stone and mega evolved her. I almost want to believe Lunaala is Dark/Psychic with something like levitate as it's ability.

I also get a bit of a Myotismon (Digimon) vibe from Lunaala. Myotismon is named after a bat, with the species name being Myotis Myotis.

The bat legendary I believe that it is very likely to get Ghost typing. Look at the sceleton and the wings color, it feels like a Ghost. Ghost/Fairy maybe?

Lunaala gives me dark/fairy vibe, but I wouldn't be surprised if flying or ghost were a secondary typing to it. It looks reaaaallyy sinister which is something I wasn't expecting.

I don't know what it is, but I find Lunaala's design really appealing. As mentioned above, Solgaleo looks too much like a zoid for my taste though it does look kind of cool I guess. The mech look makes fire/electric or fire/steel seem plausible. Lunaala's motif, on the other hand, is just too vague: dark, fairy, flying, or psychic all seem like reasonable guesses.

Back
Top Bottom