• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII Mega Evolutions?

Considering how Extreme Speed is depicted as a flash step sort of thing, I'd imagine only those truly capable would be able to learn ES in the first place. It's not a mere matter of speed or reactions, I don't think - I mean, you'd think that freakin' Ninjask would have it by that logic, being one of the fastest Pokémon in the game by stats...

Of course, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool, I just don't think it'd make as much sense as it would with the existing ones that do get it. With maybe the exception of Zygarde (because just I find the prospect of it just slithering across the ground at Clock Up levels of speed hilarious more than anything else).

What if a pokemon differently Mega Evolves during day and night. Maybe a normal type which by day goes Normal/fire by day and Normal/fairy by night. I suggest spinda ^^

What if a pokemon differently Mega Evolves during day and night. Maybe a normal type which by day goes Normal/fire by day and Normal/fairy by night. I suggest spinda ^^
This sounds like an interesting idea. I'd be fun to mess around with, but my question is: How would the Megevolutions work in wireless battles?

I think that's the biggest thing with any sort of day/night specific moves, mechanics, etc - their function in online battles is sort of messed up. They could easily make it so goes by the timezone/game time of the person using the move or activating the mechanic, but then that seems a little unfair to the other player if it wouldn't fit theirs, and also means they need to be aware of their time going into the battle. It could probably be worked out in some way, maybe someone else has an idea.

I'm not too keen on more Pokemon getting dual Megas though. It does irk me that Charizard and Mewtwo have them and I think it would be better to not do anymore but that's just me.

Looks like this sort of option might actually be possible. Rowlet is said to be an excellent night battler.

And Hawaii confirmed = Mega Bellossom

Accessibility for pokemon who truly need a boost. Whether a player is spectating or participating in online battles, it can get boring quick when you see the same mega pokemons and strategy being used. Diversity, please.

The trailer didn't mention anything about mega evolutions, but it was something most of us expected. I think we won't see more than 10 new mega evolutions in Sun and Moon.

I honestly think they should revisit cross-generational evolutions for Sun and Moon and keep new Mega Evolutions for the next entries. The former can only be introduced at the start of a new generation.

Last edited:
Only the former can be introduced at the start of a new generation.
What says you can dictate how Game Freak goes about their business?
Plus, we've literally had them for a single generation. Introducing new additions onto one of the game's newest mechanics, however small or large their quantity may be, I think is a given.

On the note of Mega Evolutions themselves, to keep relevant to the topic - I repeat what I said and I hope that we get more for more recent generations. If anything, I don't expect our new starters to get them.

What says you can dictate how Game Freak goes about their business?
I meant to write "the former can only be introduced at the start of a new generation". They haven't introduced new Pokemon in the middle of a generation yet and I don't see a reason to expect that to change. They have more flexibility with Mega Evolutions, which is why I find this insistence that new ones have to be introduced in every game just a little silly.

Plus, we've literally had them for a single generation. Introducing new additions onto one of the game's newest mechanics, however small or large their quantity may be, I think is a given.
If it were a given, Masuda would have confirmed it when he was directly asked about it last month.

If it were a given, Masuda would have confirmed it when he was directly asked about it last month.
I guess that's true. I should remember, I say to myself all the time that nothing is a certainty, but damn if it isn't likely.
I meant to write "the former can only be introduced at the start of a new generation". They haven't introduced new Pokemon in the middle of a generation yet and I don't see a reason to expect that to change. They have more flexibility with Mega Evolutions, which is why I find this insistence that new ones have to be introduced in every game just a little silly.
A simple misunderstanding, then. With that in mind, yeah, I doubt they'll start introducing completely new Pokémon in the middle of a generation, but I don't think Mega Evolution should be shafted in that regard either. Now that it's had its time in the sun, it may reel back, but in theory it should be equal with cross-generational evolutions should they introduce them.

That's a big if, though.

This was brought up in another thread, Zeb suggested we move it over here, So I'm going that.
They could just revise the mechanic to somehow mimic it. Maybe a meter bar that builds up during battle or related to friendship (i.e. Ash Greninja)?
Like Limit Breaks in Final Fantasy 7? (The gauge slowly fills as you partake in battles and carries over to the next) I feel like that could work out OK enough in the main game (though a far from ideal method, I think how they're doing it now is fine), but like most things. I have to ask: "How would that work in intergame battling?" To let the Limit Break gauge carry over from whatever it is in your game feels unfair and forces you to battle over and over just to Megevolve in battle ONCE, and a good Limit Break Gauge fills slowly to prevent you from spamming it, meaning most Pokemon would die in an intergame battle before pulling it off.
No, I think it should stay how it is. Aside from that part about friendship though, they already imply that you need a strong bond, so make us need that bond.
@Fragarach I'm not sure if quoting you here will give you the notice, so I'll just mention you and we can discuss over here yeah?

Now that we got a grass/flying starter pokemon , I can see mega Serperior becoming grass/steel.

One thing I would really like to see, is an ability that prevents Mega Evolution as long as the Pokémon with it remains active. All it would need is okay-ish or terrible base stats to counter the powerful ability.

If GF want to push the "celestial" theme this gen, Mega Cresselia seems like a good option to go with, perhaps as a Moon exclusive mega stone.
How about a Mega Clefable? It has a known connection to the moon and its stats are pretty average at best; a nice boost to its defensive and Sp.Atk stats would be nice.

One thing I would really like to see, is an ability that prevents Mega Evolution as long as the Pokémon with it remains active. All it would need is okay-ish or terrible base stats to counter the powerful ability.

This is actually something I'd like to see as well. Do you think it would it affect Primal Reversion as well?

How about a Mega Clefable? It has a known connection to the moon and its stats are pretty average at best; a nice boost to its defensive and Sp.Atk stats would be nice.

Yeah, I could see this happening. Clefairy got quite the boost from its new Fairy typing in X/Y, and it became fairly popular, so GF may grant it one if they want to see its popularity continue to rise. I've seen some cute fan-made Mega Clefable designs online.

This was brought up in another thread, Zeb suggested we move it over here, So I'm going that.

Like Limit Breaks in Final Fantasy 7? (The gauge slowly fills as you partake in battles and carries over to the next) I feel like that could work out OK enough in the main game (though a far from ideal method, I think how they're doing it now is fine), but like most things. I have to ask: "How would that work in intergame battling?" To let the Limit Break gauge carry over from whatever it is in your game feels unfair and forces you to battle over and over just to Megevolve in battle ONCE, and a good Limit Break Gauge fills slowly to prevent you from spamming it, meaning most Pokemon would die in an intergame battle before pulling it off.
No, I think it should stay how it is. Aside from that part about friendship though, they already imply that you need a strong bond, so make us need that bond.
@Fragarach I'm not sure if quoting you here will give you the notice, so I'll just mention you and we can discuss over here yeah?

Similar to that though it does not carryover into local nor online matches. (Why do people keep thinking things need to carryover when they don't need to?) The friendship aspect could depend on how fast the gauge builds up, perhaps?

Similar to that though it does not carryover into local nor online matches. (Why do people keep thinking things need to carryover when they don't need to?) The friendship aspect could depend on how fast the gauge builds up, perhaps?
People (or at least me) assume that a mechanic would carry over to wireless battles, as they're just using the same battle system, just transferring it to a wirless setting.
And I was thinking maybe something along the line of, "until you hit a certain friendship rating, the gauge doesn't fill. Period. But after that I could see it increasing faster with more friendship.

People (or at least me) assume that a mechanic would carry over to wireless battles, as they're just using the same battle system, just transferring it to a wirless setting.
Well, it largely depends. If they feel like it'd be gamebreaking to come in with it immediately, the developers will reset it at the start of battle to ensure "game balance".

I think a Limit Break style system is...weird to suggest. The state of the meta right now has things being killed off in little more than 4 turns at most, so that gauge had better fill damn fast at max Friendship to allow someone to Mega Evolve before the battle's over.

I honestly don't think this would be a good idea if the Pokémon had terrible stats, depending on how terrible you're thinking. If the stats are too terrible, nobody is going to want to use that Pokémon anyway, especially in competitive battling. And if someone did use it, it will probably become fainted quite quickly without too much effort, which would mean you'd lose one Pokémon quite easily and the opponent can mega evolve again anyway.

I do think the ability you thought of is interesting though, and I could certainly see it working if it was attached to a defensive Pokémon. It could have strong defences, but just have lower attack and speed to stop the Pokémon becoming overpowered.

And I was thinking maybe something along the line of, "until you hit a certain friendship rating, the gauge doesn't fill. Period. But after that I could see it increasing faster with more friendship.

That is even better! Overall the mechanic would have players juggle strategies while bonding with their pokemon similar to the trainers in the anime/mangas.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom