• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I know, I know that Gen VII hasn't ended yet, but it dosen't hurt to get those minds running and speculate!
So, what do you thing we could have in store for the first pair of Gen VIII? What will be the Region it will be based on? Any Pokemon ideas you may have? Will it be on the Switch? When do you expect it to come?

I think that the next Region should be based on India... (I may be biased because I live in India). It'd make for a great Bio-Diversity, with ample of Ice types, with a Victory Road in Jammu and Kashmir, the developed North India, the laid back North Eastern States, and the familiar tropical feel in the South. It will just fulfil everyone's expectations. It could also give us the post-game island of Sri Lanka!

Also, I think that Gen 8 will be on the Switch, not on the 3DS since 3DS has been pushed to its limit with SM, and it will just downgrade the games from now on from modern gaming standards.

What are your thoughts on Gen 8?

Rules:
1. No criticising/disrespecting any country (but jokes are allowed).
2. No flamewars on Switch (this is what spoiled most threads).
3. Enjoy
4. As a Clarification, discussion of features is also allowed, it isn't all about Region.

P.S- I added as many regions on the poll as I could.

What? Three options for Asia, but no African countries or South American countries? :O

Oh! I'm completely sorry for that! It surprised me, too, as I SHOULD'VE remembered Africa as my dad words there. It maybe slipped off my mind as my main focus was Asia, and I was researching it.

I apologise for that.

This is the first time I noticed that there is an 'Edit' option for the Polls XD.

PS- Added 3 new options, including 'Other', so it can cover up for anything I forgot.

Oh! I'm completely sorry for that! It surprised me, too, as I SHOULD'VE remembered Africa as my dad words there. It maybe slipped off my mind as my main focus was Asia, and I was researching it.

I apologise for that.

This is the first time I noticed that there is an 'Edit' option for the Polls XD.

PS- Added 3 new options, including 'Other', so it can cover up for anything I forgot.
Thanks! I voted for Australia before the additions due to not wanting to visit a continent we've already been to.

But now I've changed my vote to Africa. I feel like South Africa and Egypt would be the top two African countries to be represented in Pokemon.

India would be really cool. Personally though, I think I'd like Egypt. I was always fascinated with it as a kid, and you know, there's a line in Pokémon Crystal where somebody says that ruins like the Ruins of Alph are often the tombs of kings, "like the pyramids." With me, even more so than I'm interested in the stories of Legendary Pokémon, I love finding out about a region's history and culture, and you know an Egypt-inspired region would have to have an intriguing history.

I would love to see Poké-U.K. and Poké-Germany at some point, though, so I wouldn't mind it if Gen VIII turned out to focus on either of those places. But ideally, I'd hold off on those to put some more time between them and Kalos, so as to get a more diverse sequence of cultures and terrains.

I'd like another colder region. New England, maybe, mostly because that's the part of the US where I live.

Alaska would be better for species diversity, though. Plus Alaska is just huge.

Edit: an African based region would also be cool. Argentina could also make an interesting Pokémon region.

Last edited:
India would be really cool. Personally though, I think I'd like Egypt. I was always fascinated with it as a kid, and you know, there's a line in Pokémon Crystal where somebody says that ruins like the Ruins of Alph are often the tombs of kings, "like the pyramids." With me, even more so than I'm interested in the stories of Legendary Pokémon, I love finding out about a region's history and culture, and you know an Egypt-inspired region would have to have an intriguing history.

I quite would like Egypt. Since it would mean more Fire- and Ground- types, and Fire's my favourite Type. And, on an other forum, someone mentioned a Fire /Something typed owl based on Ra, and I've been crazy about that idea ever since..

USA and Japan are probably my favourite countries irl in terms of nature, culture, biodiversity, visuals etc, and are always my top favourite choices for a new Pokemon Region. I am really glad that literally all Pokemon games except XY take place in either Japan or USA and as repetitive as some may find it, I would be glad if the next gen focused on one of those 2 countries again. Give me more stuff like Johto, Hoenn, Unova and Alola, and I will be delighted. It doesn´t get boring for me despite being repetititve according to many.

Now if I had to choose a different real life inspitarion for the next Pokemon game it would definitely be either China or Brazil. Those are the only 2 countries that come close to Japan and USA for me, in terms of how suitable I find them for a Poke Region.

The Chinese based region could be the first one to have more than 1 metropolis (aka central hub city) with Shanghai and Beijing both being in the game. It would also make for a great example of "tradition vs modern" theme with the contrast of huge ultra modern cities and small villages with rice fields, etc.

The Brazil region could have a theme of Nature preservation with the Amazona jungle and river as the central part of the region (like Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh)

Last edited:
I voted for South America, but I'm also kind biased because I live here 8D
The fact that there is the Amazonic Forest (or whatever the english name of that is) would give a gigantic diversity of Pokemon in here, and could pass the message of "protect the forests!" and stuff. People usually roll their eyes when they see something like that, but I like it, when it's not too ridiculous.
Other than that, I'd probally like to see a region on some of the more extreme places; Egypt, Saahra (or whatever the name of that gigantic desert), mountain tops...

i'd go with a "true" colder region, buffing ice types. With that i mean snowy routes with ice pokemons in the beginning. Will be a great opportunity to introduce ice/bug, or a regional flying/ice pokemon, for example.
A scandivian country like Denmark or Norway will be perfect.
Canada or Russia would be another great choices.

If they ever base a region on south america, i think Peru or Chile and it's ruins and culture would make a much more interesting region than Brazil, but i'm somewhat biased as i'm brazilian myself. I just don't want another tropical region so early.

I just don´t like cold/snowy/icy/ dark regions... at all.

So I hope we keep getting regions with either moderate climate, subtropical climate, or tropical climate. Those are what I like best.

A moderate climate like Johto or Unova would be my personal choice for the next region.

Last edited:
I would really love a region based off the former Yugoslavia, but I doubt that'll come any time soon...
I'm a little bored of 'tropical' regions, I'll like a colder region next, or at least one that isn't based off somewhere normally hot and sunny!
I would kind of prefer a Greater London based region rather than a region based on the whole UK (although I would love any UK region really). But I think another 'city' region like Unova would be interesting and a nice contrast to Alola.

I'd take any area as long as it's not tropical. With the possibility of there being three straight games taking place in warm, sunny areas, I have become sick and tired of tropical areas in Pokemon.

I have a few ideas but they are a little too ...detailed to make it entirely to reality but here goes.

The running theme with these ideas would be that the pokemon introduced would have a larger influence taken from the RL mythologies or "occult" themes compared to RL animal species, and the region would be bases on these myths as well as their biodiversity.

• Greece: The theme with the Pokemon would classical mythology and astrology. The setting would be based in an analogue of ancient and modern Greece, where each sub-region would have its own rules and challenges. One would focus on Inverse, another Triples, another Battle Royales, etc.
    • The new Pokemon and candidates for returning pokemon would be based on greeks myths and the constellations. Examples would be The Luxray, Pyroar, Ursaring, Ninetales and Swanna lines (referencing Lynx, Leo, Ursa Major/Minor, Vulpecula and Cygnus), as well as new Pokemon based off a clock (Holorogium), a Dog that grows a head with each evolution (alluding to Orthos and Cerberus), and an electric Striped field mouse (Because pikaclone).
    • The Legendaries would reference the Olympians, the Titans or many Greek heroes. including one Athena analogue. Some of these pokemon would serve a similar role as the Tapu, representing a different subregion.
    • The Pseudo legendarily would be based on Achilles, being a Fighting/Steel with an ability granting a weakness to certain moves (mainly those that involve the feet)
    • The villains would be a team dubbed "Malefic" a group of people that are convinced that they are like the aforementioned Greek heroes and would take on their (and the Olympians') worse aspects. Opposing them would be a group named "Benefic" who would work with the player and the League at apprehending Team Malefic (The twist would be that they are good to the core, and that they would be secretive to the point of the existence of such a group being a late game spoiler)
Of course I have a different idea, but it his no basis on a RL region but instead of Sci-Fi concepts, which makes it more likely to appear in a spinoff, though this was also cooked up in conjunction with my ideas for a Greek-themed region (though geography would be a major reason against it).

• In this case this region would be notably advanced, some might say, futuristic. A high-tech society mostly stationed on a ring-shaped structure that rotates. Its a little hard to describe, but basically the idea is a set of cities orbiting a central location. Placed high above a static labyrinth.
But there are likely not gonna happen (in Gen 8 at least). I think Brazil, India or California would be more likely.

I would love to see the next games take place in something based on Mexico or countries further south in Central or South America. Many of the Latin American countries are rich in culture and land diversity that can make a great Pokemon game! We already have most regions in Japan, a country in Western Europe, and two states in the US covered. They need to give other regions in other continents of the world a try. =)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom