• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
I don't really care where the region is next, as long as it's something new and interesting. Canada, Australia, South America, Greece, Egypt, whatever. I'm more interested in what they're doing gameplay wise and what they could do with the Switch. The Switch would be a good environment for a new co-op mode where you could adventure together with your friends and battle together, that would really be next gen. Also, it'd be interesting if you could fuse with your Pokemon as the ultimate bond between humans and Pokemon. They've toyed with the idea a few times before and there's some interesting things they could do with it in terms of battling, exploration, and storyline.

I agree with those that don't want to see another tropical region. Counting ORAS, we've been to two tropicals ones in a row now, I'd like to see something different. Would love to see a cold region, especially because it would change the clothing customization a lot, since we weren't even allowed to wear long pants this time :p Think of all the cute and awesome winter jackets and scarfs and hats we could wear :X3:

But just walking through a region full of snow and ice seems really cool (though only if they don't make walking through it tedious like on that one route in DPPt). And lots of Ice types would be available, one of my fav types so I'm all for that. And we could have new Poké Rides too, like surfing on an Avalugg (I don't care that it isn't a Water-type, we should be surfing on a floating ice shelf), and trudging through snow on a Mamoswine like in XY. And we can fish at holes in ice!

I want this.

Of course I have a different idea, but it his no basis on a RL region but instead of Sci-Fi concepts, which makes it more likely to appear in a spinoff, though this was also cooked up in conjunction with my ideas for a Greek-themed region (though geography would be a major reason against it).

• In this case this region would be notably advanced, some might say, futuristic. A high-tech society mostly stationed on a ring-shaped structure that rotates. Its a little hard to describe, but basically the idea is a set of cities orbiting a central location. Placed high above a static labyrinth.
But there are likely not gonna happen (in Gen 8 at least). I think Brazil, India or California would be more likely.
Well, not impossible. A futuristic region can de done in a highly urbanized region. Maybe Hong Kong, South Korea, United Arab Emirates (which is unlikely), or Singapore?
In Brazil it can be done, if they focus on Brasilia, Curutiba and São Paulo areas, or just the capitals of each state, cause it's a big and diverse country, with lots of beach and rural areas as well., pretty much like USA

Not sure about the other details, but they always take some freedoms when designing the map, so why not.

It would be fantastic if they could one day give us a fictional region that they created themselves. Imagine a town represented by fruits or a town made from machinery or an underwater town. The possibilities are endless! :)
An underwater town?
A region based off Atlantis anyone?

Still playing sun/moon which i feel is inferior to X/Y(thats another story), one possibility i can see is another game with more of a alien influence. either a ship full of various pokemon crash land and spread or maybe a portal that leads to a new realm which could have plenty of new abstract looking pokemon. even a new type called the "space" type. a new world could give the creators a lot of space to experiment with ideas instead of spamming electric rodent variants.

Still playing sun/moon which i feel is inferior to X/Y(thats another story), one possibility i can see is another game with more of a alien influence. either a ship full of various pokemon crash land and spread or maybe a portal that leads to a new realm which could have plenty of new abstract looking pokemon. even a new type called the "space" type. a new world could give the creators a lot of space to experiment with ideas instead of spamming electric rodent variants.

I feel like if they were going to make a new type related to space or aliens, they would've done so with the Ultra Beasts. Now if they were to introduce them, it'd leave people wondering why they aren't Space or Alien type.

We've had several Pokemon (Palkia, Elgyem, Lunatone, The UBs and many others) who have been associated with outer space, and even other dimensions. We have kind of had this in the franchise already with The Distortion World and Ultra Space. It's possible we'll see a similar area in a new future game but not a whole game set in one of these places.

I feel like if they were going to make a new type related to space or aliens, they would've done so with the Ultra Beasts. Now if they were to introduce them, it'd leave people wondering why they aren't Space or Alien type.

which would be a good way to introduce a new type. im hoping the whole ultra beast angle is a preview of what could be next.

We've had several Pokemon (Palkia, Elgyem, Lunatone, The UBs and many others) who have been associated with outer space, and even other dimensions. We have kind of had this in the franchise already with The Distortion World and Ultra Space. It's possible we'll see a similar area in a new future game but not a whole game set in one of these places.

that is true but not to the point where the whole game is on that theme. im talking literally everything, the trainers, technology, everything.

which would be a good way to introduce a new type. im hoping the whole ultra beast angle is a preview of what could be next.

No, not really. They missed their chance at this point. A lot of the Ultra Beasts have dual types which makes it unlikely they'll be retconned. If they were going to create a new type involving space, they would've done so when they started with the Ultra Beasts or at least left open more of a possibility.

that is true but not to the point where the whole game is on that theme. im talking literally everything, the trainers, technology, everything.

That makes it a less exciting theme though if it's already been done before multiple times.

It's an interesting idea, but it somewhat takes away the idea of Pokemon being a 'low' Fantasy (kind of debatable, but apart from the Pokemon themselves the world Pokemon takes place in is relatively similar to our own I would say there is enough to not make it a distinctly 'high' fantasy.
But with that kind of 'world' being part of the major plot it'll make it more of a 'space opera' it would take quite a large part of the 'feel' of Pokemon away. Although it's something that might work in a side-series game.

It's an interesting idea, but it somewhat takes away the idea of Pokemon being a 'low' Fantasy (kind of debatable, but apart from the Pokemon themselves the world Pokemon takes place in is relatively similar to our own I would say there is enough to not make it a distinctly 'high' fantasy.
But with that kind of 'world' being part of the major plot it'll make it more of a 'space opera' it would take quite a large part of the 'feel' of Pokemon away. Although it's something that might work in a side-series game.

here are some ideas, i know i'm reaching but we can all dream. maybe somebody here knows how to do programming and we can team up but here goes:

1. i know the game allows us to connect with others through wi-fi but have more in game tech like a in game email account.

2. access to more data like the percentages of certain pokemon appearing due to weather effects. like reptilian pokemon being more present during sunlight. you know, make it more like national geographic. pokedex could have weather forecast like a mobile phone.

3. more robotics. real life tech is becoming more automated, so perhaps a few more robotic pokemon. a train network that connects through the whole world where you just use a ticket to travel and you dont have to talk to any staff.

4. night vision goggles to see certain pokemon, i think something like this has been done before in gen 1 and 2. i know the game has been simplified but part of what made some games so good was the amount of scenarios available in regards to catching certain pokemon.

5. more experimental pokemon like mewtwo and zygarde. i liked the zygarde idea, maybe the next starter could be like that?

the game already has a lot of ideas but the way they keep bringing in certain ideas and dropping them instead of expanding ideas has lead to varied results.

here are some ideas, i know i'm reaching but we can all dream. maybe somebody here knows how to do programming and we can team up but here goes:

1. i know the game allows us to connect with others through wi-fi but have more in game tech like a in game email account.

2. access to more data like the percentages of certain pokemon appearing due to weather effects. like reptilian pokemon being more present during sunlight. you know, make it more like national geographic. pokedex could have weather forecast like a mobile phone.

3. more robotics. real life tech is becoming more automated, so perhaps a few more robotic pokemon. a train network that connects through the whole world where you just use a ticket to travel and you dont have to talk to any staff.

4. night vision goggles to see certain pokemon, i think something like this has been done before in gen 1 and 2. i know the game has been simplified but part of what made some games so good was the amount of scenarios available in regards to catching certain pokemon.

5. more experimental pokemon like mewtwo and zygarde. i liked the zygarde idea, maybe the next starter could be like that?

the game already has a lot of ideas but the way they keep bringing in certain ideas and dropping them instead of expanding ideas has lead to varied results.

1. Game email account? Really? It might make sense if Pokemon was a PC game but it isn't. That just adds an extra layer of unnecessary complexity to the game. Pokemon is suppose to be rather simple (unless you are into competitive battling but that's rather different kind of complexity which you can choose to involve yourself in or not.) We have global link, which is similar and optional. You can just as easily trade and the like without a global link account. But why should you need an email account, with password and login?

2. Okay, I actually like that idea. We had seasons in Gen 5 so I don't think it's too much to ask for, perhaps we can get something similar when the Gen 5 remakes come around.

3. Another idea I actually like. I actually thought if we had another city based region we could use the train as a transport link instead of using fly so you can visit any city using the train. I don't see anything wrong with more robotic Pokemon like Magneton. I'm pretty fond of Steel types so I'll probably use them.

4. Another pretty nice idea, could be a nice mini-game too which can be played at night.

5. I think we could get more 'experimental' Pokemon in the future. I'm not sure about the starter being like that though, I guess it's possible.

Most of these ideas aren't too much of a stretch, in fact I could see some of these in Gen 8/9. The only one I'm not too keen on is the 'game email' thing. I'm just not sure if fits Pokemon and seems like it could end up becoming to complicated.

Speaking of the Dex, you know what would be great? For the Pokedex to actually be more useful than just displaying a blurb about the Pokemon, having moveset, ability, and evolution data would make it more useful than it's ever been.

Not sure about new type cause they added fairy recently.
But would be neat a "portal region", pretty much like distortion dimension, but an expanded area possible to explore in post game filled with Pokemons, more or less like a new disclosed sub-region . A time travel would work as well, being possible to travel through part of the region in the past, adding to worldbuilding and explaining how things worked in the past.

But would be neat a "portal region", pretty much like distortion dimension, but an expanded area possible to explore in post game filled with Pokemons, more or less like a new disclosed sub-region . A time travel would work as well, being possible to travel through part of the region in the past, adding to worldbuilding and explaining how things worked in the past.

I would like to have something like that explored. (Bonus points in a Fennekin and Chikorita are somehow involved :p)

1. Game email account? Really? It might make sense if Pokemon was a PC game but it isn't. That just adds an extra layer of unnecessary complexity to the game. Pokemon is suppose to be rather simple (unless you are into competitive battling but that's rather different kind of complexity which you can choose to involve yourself in or not.) We have global link, which is similar and optional. You can just as easily trade and the like without a global link account. But why should you need an email account, with password and login?

sorry i didn't word my idea better, i don't literally mean you have to log in and out. messages and data can either be given to you automatically like with the holograms in gen 6 or you can access the info through options screen. you wouldn't literally have to put in the name and subject like a proper email. what i would like to see is some more information to make the game a bit more involving than turning up and throwing balls. just a little bit more science to make it feel a bit more advanced.

Speaking of the Dex, you know what would be great? For the Pokedex to actually be more useful than just displaying a blurb about the Pokemon, having moveset, ability, and evolution data would make it more useful than it's ever been.

exactly, give us a bit more information to immerse ourselves in the game or some information that can give you advice on how to catch certain pokemon for example " feraligator s favourite food is sirloin steak " the player can then catch a milktank, put it at as the lead pokemon and then roam a certain area to raise the chances of feraligator appearing by a certain percentage. that example is super basic but i hope you get the drift.

i like the time travelling idea but either that or the distortion realm, i feel should be the main theme of the game. despite my beef with sun/moon, i liked how i didnt feel like i was wading through zubat droppings in mount moon for the 10th time in a row. sun/moon did feel like a new country and not just a new route or city. a prehistoric or warped location as the theme would be a great way to maintain interest for old and new players.

exactly, give us a bit more information to immerse ourselves in the game or some information that can give you advice on how to catch certain pokemon for example " feraligator s favourite food is sirloin steak " the player can then catch a milktank, put it at as the lead pokemon and then roam a certain area to raise the chances of feraligator appearing by a certain percentage. that example is super basic but i hope you get the drift.

IDK about that, that's kind of an obscure hint, I was thinking more along the lines of just having the data for training and competitive purposes. It doesn't necessarily need to affect encounters.

I want to see an Egyptian themed one. The pokemon you could do would be intense. Legendaries based of the falcon and jackal. Anubis and Ra. We have not had a falcon or a jackal yet either, and a king cobra and a sphinx style one. There are some really legit pokemon they could do for this.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom