• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
I agree, but I think Set and Osiris would be a better duo for mascots, and Horus being a third counterpart.

Have Anubus and Ra as Pseudo Legends then (or make Ra the trio master for the Horus/Set/Osiris trio).

Wait, doesn't Lucario resemble a Jackel?

Anubis to me is the better option as he is the darker counter part of all of them. I would like a bast form of some sort as well i hate zygarde personally. Everything about him. As for psuedos no anubis should be a front and center probably with horus as they are kinda seen as the opposities. And Lucario is mildly jackalish he in my minda is not a true jackal i finally got my wolf (-.- though they messed up the werewolf so bad I'm mildly in denial about that) they could do a much better jackal. I dont like psuedo legendaries there is no point there are the two and thats it for me.

Even though Egypt would be a really cool region to explore, I am sad to say, we are unlikely to see Egypt as a region, simply because the Pokemon franchise doesn't have a big presence Egypt. Pokemon tends to choose places where they have a large enough audience. The same could possibly be said for South America.
However it does have a much larger presence in Europe (mostly Western) and North America.
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a Canada based region yet.

I can confirm South Africa, because I live there. :p
But it would be great to see new countries used as bases for future regions. Opening up to new markets would provide a challenge, and earn them more money.
I think if Pokemon was to get a game based in Africa, it would most certainly be South Africa.

The legendaries are not about good and evil its about prominent figures and dark doesnt mean evil thats a heavily misunderstood and misused truth. Dark is simply darkness/shadow. Wolves, bats are dark. Flowers most birds those are light. Sun and moon. Nothing about those is evil. Anubis is the god of death essentially and associated with dark. Ra and or horus are the total opposite to that.

As to where they will actually place it I truly have no idea. Somewhere fairly big though I would guess. I never really thought any of them until this one was based on anywhere realistically. Hawaii made sense for this one but the others to me were just normal nothing in specific other than cities. I would love to see a gaelic one based out of Ireland but chances are slim. It would be very earth and water based I would think though.

Okay... A Discussion starter!
I dug up in the rumours and leaks thread's first post, and the "Gummy Leaks" there included details for Gen VIII. These are as follows
"

Gen 8:
  • Will be set in Australia and will be on the new gen console/handheld.
  • It will have added Dream themes, with Aboriginal’s dreamland. You will be able to go to the dreamland at the end of the story. You will get to see entirely new pokemon-like creatures that you can catch. It will get a separate dex, as a "app" in the dex called Dreamdex.
  • There will be 2 sets of starters, based on the version you pick. Western Zodiac starters: Bull, Chimera and Ram. Eastern Zodiac Starters: Horse, Rabbit and Dragon.
  • The legends are based on compass directions: North, South, West and East.
  • Will have two box legendaries, based on West and East.
  • The story focuses on the clash between the East and West cultures. There are two teams that represents the both sides with them using the opposite legends to try improve themselves."
What do you think of this leak? It wasn't very creditable, but predicted Toucannon. Do you like this idea?

I dug up in the rumours and leaks thread's first post, and the "Gummy Leaks" there included details for Gen VIII. These are as follows
"

Gen 8:
  • It will have added Dream themes, with Aboriginal’s dreamland. You will be able to go to the dreamland at the end of the story. You will get to see entirely new pokemon-like creatures that you can catch. It will get a separate dex, as a "app" in the dex called Dreamdex.
  • There will be 2 sets of starters, based on the version you pick. Western Zodiac starters: Bull, Chimera and Ram. Eastern Zodiac Starters: Horse, Rabbit and Dragon.
  • The story focuses on the clash between the East and West cultures. There are two teams that represents the both sides with them using the opposite legends to try improve themselves."
What do you think of this leak? It wasn't very creditable, but predicted Toucannon. Do you like this idea?

IDK, seems a bit sketchy. Especially the part about the legendaries representing Eastern and Western cultures, that'd be difficult to pull off without coming off as racist. That's not exactly a theme you could convey in simple, family friendly terms.

"

Gen 8:
Well, one point for it so far. It'll definitely be on the next gen handheld/console! :p

Seems like a setup for a 4 Symbols themed set. I like this but...

I'd have to agree with Bolt that this might be problematic to work with. But I think it can be done so long as it avoids fetishisting either side, taking the directions east and west convey to refer to political wings and colonialist overtones. Its gonna be a difficult job regardless (especially if Stars is debunked, meaning less of a focus on story as the Switch era would start with 8).

Incidentally I had an idea for two teams representing the two sides of the Romanticism/Enlightenment debate. One who would glorify the future and technology and one who would glorify the past and nature.

Its gonna be a difficult job regardless (especially if Stars is debunked, meaning less of a focus on story as the Switch era would start with 8).

Well.. the exact same leak predicts Stars (as a port of SM on Switch)... But even I have doubts if they'll be able to pull off such a conflicting plot. They even take sides on Starter Pokemon! GF clearly favour a Charizard and Greninja.

Incidentally I had an idea for two teams representing the two sides of the Romanticism/Enlightenment debate. One who would glorify the future and technology and one who would glorify the past and nature.

Well BW already kind of touched on that, but that's more the kind of theme you would expect to see in Pokemon. Little kids probably wouldn't understand what Romaniticism and Enlightenment is but they sure would understand future vs. past and technology vs. nature. I don't see any way like that that you could frame East vs. West. That plus concerns over the theme overall being racially and politically sensitive just makes it highly unlikely they would ever go for a theme like that.

Well BW already kind of touched on that, but that's more the kind of theme you would expect to see in Pokemon. Little kids probably wouldn't understand what Romaniticism and Enlightenment is but they sure would understand future vs. past and technology vs. nature.

I know about Black and White's dabbling in the subject but it seems minor compared to its other themes, Outside maybe the Legendary Dragons (Then again the Logic/Emotion dichotomy is an important part of the romanticism and enlightenment dichotomy arguably more important than the technology/nature aspects. And N seemed to run on emotion most of the time. While Ghetcis and Colress seem more logical in comparison). Of course this stemmed from what I feel a Greece-themed pokemon game would have and also help me continue with astrological themes. (The romanticist team would had been called Team Malefic, the enlightenment team would had been called Team Benefic) as well as highlight that Greece and Rome was the hub of philosophers. And with the Dragons being based more on Taoism, an Apollo/Dionysus pair would had been just as easily doable while keeping a unique theme for each set of mascot legendaries.

I always thought they should break the mold a bit and do a region based on a time period or genre instead of a geographic region. Like a steampunk or wild west region, or a region based on the Greco-Roman world or feudal Japan, or a complete fantasy region like Atlantis. You see elements of this in previous games, with places like Ecruteak City or the Paniola Ranch, but I think it would be fun to see it fully fleshed out. And it could serve them to do something new, without trying to figure out how it fits in the timeline. Like way in the future, steampunk or cyberpunk, or way in the past. It allows GF to introduce new game mechanics, too. Just my $o.02.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom