• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
So what? I never said it had to be a 1:1 replica. They can scale things and just use the places as inspiration. If you expect exact geographical accuracy in a game where a 10 year olds command elemental creatures then I don't know what to tell you.

They already scale things massively down. What you're talking about is effectively turning entire cultures into single-town caricatures -.-

They already scale things massively down. What you're talking about is effectively turning entire cultures into single-town caricatures -.-

They clearly just meant a region based on it, don't take it so literally ^^; It sounds to me you've got an better idea, so please let's hear it instead of just criticing others' ideas.

Africa is, if I remember correctly, more along the lines of three or four cultural regions. There's also the multiple climatic regions, which is how most people divide the continent. I'm going to focus on the idea of finding a perfect opening game.

Now, note that much of Africa is, really, not suitable for games. It's a political, economic, and societal mess that has been created through a combination of Western Imperialism and the Cold War. As a result, there are significant areas of the continent that are still unstable or in unceasing open warfare, and many of the more settled regions hold views or even laws that are unacceptable to American and Japanese audiences. It also doesn't help that, outside of Egypt, non-African video games have a very poor record of portraying the continent without unfortunate implications or unintentional racism. In short, outside of Egypt, Africa is pretty much a continent that those who want to depict it should tread extremely carefully... which is why most video game developers stick with Egypt.

The Sahara is not uniformly desert; the Nile Valley is actually quite full of life and has a more varied amount of animal and plant life than you see in the dunes. Northern Egypt, particularly Alexandria, experiences yearly snowfall. While Cairo is an easy spot to center a game, particularly with all of the famous landmarks within easy region reach for a Pokemon game, it also faces the problem that Egypt is massively over-represented within media. But it's also the safest to depict.

Morocco is a good bet, since it's still within the Sahara region but features a more temperate climatic range. It's also easy enough to get information from there that won't be offensive to anyone who considers the continent.

For climate diversity beyond that, it depends on how much you want that rainforest mixed with desert. If you want the desert bad enough, Ghana could be a potential location, though it's only Subsaharan.

Tanzania is possibly the best overall choice, since it has a dormant volcano that has an ice cap on it; you can easily justify climates for both fire and ice types within that same small area just due to that. The nation is also economically powerful and modern in many areas, though it still has its uncomfortable areas. But of all of them, it has probably the best climatic range.

For South America, Peru. Peru because of the Incan ruins, especially Machu Picchu, and the climatic variance. It's also got the nice amount of stability, and as far as I know doesn't have the same problems with bad depictions of it that Africa does. It actually would be far easier to set a game in Peru before heading to Africa simply because of the lower risk. Peru has a lot of problems of its own that will have to be outright ignored, though.

So, overall, I would say... Tanzania and Peru for games.

Tanzania is possibly the best overall choice, since it has a dormant volcano that has an ice cap on it; you can easily justify climates for both fire and ice types within that same small area just due to that. The nation is also economically powerful and modern in many areas, though it still has its uncomfortable areas. But of all of them, it has probably the best climatic range.

For South America, Peru. Peru because of the Incan ruins, especially Machu Picchu, and the climatic variance. It's also got the nice amount of stability, and as far as I know doesn't have the same problems with bad depictions of it that Africa does. It actually would be far easier to set a game in Peru before heading to Africa simply because of the lower risk. Peru has a lot of problems of its own that will have to be outright ignored, though.

I would like to see those countries portrayed based on what you have described. If gen 8 was based in Peru or another south/central american country, how would you feel about a legendary/mythical pokemon based on the chupacabre or a psuedo-line based on the Quetzalcoatl?

I'm game. We have one that is potentially a Quetzalcoatl incarnation (Zapdos), but I can see why people would not be happy with it for filling that role.

a desert region would be boring at all, think of fire/grass cactus pokemon, maybe a desert (ground ) terrain ability and move? a rhino bug/rock pokemon, bug/dragon and others that could apper.

That makes me think of the lion, we got 2 lion pokemon i a row? its like with the apes before we got Inferape?
maybe we will get a grass/rock lion starter? only a idea.

I think we should agree to disagree. It just dosen't sound right to have the expressionless PC sitting wearing regular clothes in an icy region.
And, this will likely result in less fire Types, leading to a DP situation all over again (Ice and Dark were compensated with Alola forms, which I doubt the next Gen will have), and Fire's my favourite Type, so I'm partial to it....
I'd be down for a cold region with winter clothes. I see no problem with it if has a great variety of options like winter dresses and similar stuff. There's enough shorts and summer costume in SM, so a different style suitable for the next region would be a breath of fresh air.

As for the lack of fire pokemons, this always can be fixed. I doubt that if the next region turn out to be snowy, they will make the same mistakes as Sinnoh pokedex. Also it's a nice oppostunity to introduce ice/fire pokemon, as well another water/fire, steel/fire and similar combos that fits a cold place.

Africa is, if I remember correctly, more along the lines of three or four cultural regions. There's also the multiple climatic regions, which is how most people divide the continent. I'm going to focus on the idea of finding a perfect opening game.

Now, note that much of Africa is, really, not suitable for games. It's a political, economic, and societal mess that has been created through a combination of Western Imperialism and the Cold War. As a result, there are significant areas of the continent that are still unstable or in unceasing open warfare, and many of the more settled regions hold views or even laws that are unacceptable to American and Japanese audiences. It also doesn't help that, outside of Egypt, non-African video games have a very poor record of portraying the continent without unfortunate implications or unintentional racism. In short, outside of Egypt, Africa is pretty much a continent that those who want to depict it should tread extremely carefully... which is why most video game developers stick with Egypt.

The Sahara is not uniformly desert; the Nile Valley is actually quite full of life and has a more varied amount of animal and plant life than you see in the dunes. Northern Egypt, particularly Alexandria, experiences yearly snowfall. While Cairo is an easy spot to center a game, particularly with all of the famous landmarks within easy region reach for a Pokemon game, it also faces the problem that Egypt is massively over-represented within media. But it's also the safest to depict.

Morocco is a good bet, since it's still within the Sahara region but features a more temperate climatic range. It's also easy enough to get information from there that won't be offensive to anyone who considers the continent.

For climate diversity beyond that, it depends on how much you want that rainforest mixed with desert. If you want the desert bad enough, Ghana could be a potential location, though it's only Subsaharan.

Seconded :D I think Peru would make a great and unique region, with that same Johto mystical feel. It has the amazon forest, has deserts and snowy mountains

On the other issue, they already made regions based on Japan and USA states, so would be silly to compress a whole continent on a region. If they ever make a region inspired on an African place, makes more sense base on just one country. South Africa or Egypt would be the most neutral options. They can always add other landmarks for the sake of diversity.

Well Antarctica would be possible for this alleged "cold climate after tropical climate" pattern. Are there any arctic climates in South America or Africa?
Here were I live, in southern Brazil, is pretty cold and mountanious, and on winter is snowy. Chile and Argentina are very mountanious with cold climate. Peru, Bolivia are partially part of Andes mountains as well. Other than Andes, look for Patagonia :D A region based on either Chile and Argentina would be more similar to Sinnoh than any other region.

Last edited:
Great Britain (I think all of it at once could work perfectly well!) amd Northern Europe/Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland) are probably my top two picks. A somewhat colder region would be a nice shift after Alola. Or at least the mild/temperate climate of Great Britain.

I'd Love to see It take Place in Australia(The Potential HYPOTHETICAL Ideas made by Someone else, that I'm sharing with this place can be found here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5xrLZwkdo&google_comment_id=z131ibzr4y2zxdrqg04cclnrjwyqdvvzmmg0k
) or Even Alaska, Canada, or Mexico(What if there were a Living Skeleton Pokemon, that was Ghost/Ground type in said Region, as a Reference to El Dia de Los Muertos, aka The Day of the Dead with a head that resembles a Calavera, aka A Decorated Skull). or even RUSSIA(With Several Ursarings and Beartiks to be found in the Region)

I think we have indications of the next region in current games.
Legandary bat and lion hint africa.
the Starters could also be a hint.

I think we have indications of the next region in current games.
Legandary bat and lion hint africa.
the Starters could also be a hint.

Not sure how a Lion and a bat hint at Africa, but even if they somehow do, a dear and a wyvern dont point at hawaii.

As for the starters, Decidueye/Robin Hood could hint at the UK. Incineroar being a Wrestler could hint at Mexico, Primarina/Mermaid could be Denmark?

Personally, I think it's the UK's turn! <3

dear and a wyvern dont point at hawaii.

Chital deer , the vyvern is also bat like.
There are deers on Hawaii.
I though that last generation was a hint for india taking delphox spot on head and that Chesnaught looked like a hindu warrior, but
never though they could pull a Malyasia Island region though.
I see more Malyasia then Hawaii too.

There Hawaian mythology maybe used also next generation?

Chital deer , the vyvern is also bat like.
There are deers on Hawaii.
I though that last generation was a hint for india taking delphox spot on head and that Chesnaught looked like a hindu warrior, but
never though they could pull a Malyasia Island region though.
I see more Malyasia then Hawaii too.

There Hawaian mythology maybe used also next generation?
Delphox doesn't have a Hindu spot on its forehead.
BT655.png

Just a crease to kinda show how angry it is or whatever.

I don't really think the starters have ever pointed to where we go next. The only one I can see that being accurate is Seeperior, who was based off of French royalty. But by that logic, gen 6 should have also taken place back in Japan and in China, since the other 2 starters pointed to those countries.

And if anything, I would say this gen's group would point to somewhere in Europe, as Robin Hood was an English tale, and opera was a heavily Italian thing, and mostly spread to other European countries. Wrestling I know jack about, but Incineroar just gives off an American WWE vibe. So... idk about that.

I think they just pick the region based on where they wanna go next. I'm hopeful they'll pick somewhere cold, but a place that doesn't have to be overrun with ice types. Tundras and such would be awesome. Greenland or Canada would be cool, but I'm not familiar enough with the areas to properly assess how well those would translate into a Pokémon map.

I hope we have a UK or German region that is next to Kalos, and that hopefully we could visit Kalos again.
Kalo's story seems so short and so weak compared to other regions.
I think it's the first region that doesn't have a sequel, am I right?

I hope we have a UK or German region that is next to Kalos, and that hopefully we could visit Kalos again.
Kalo's story seems so short and so weak compared to other regions.
I think it's the first region that doesn't have a sequel, am I right?
If by "sequel" you mean some kind of second iteration, yes, you are correct. Gens 1*-4 had third versions, and gen 5 had sequels. Gen 6 had nothing, and gen 7 is still going so it's up in the air.

But I do think it would be nice to revisit Kalisz, or even anything that's not Kanto. I wish they would do more to show how connected the world is and that the regions can exist in points of time other than their own games.

*yes, I'm aware gen 1 had the whole blue/yellow thing going on, I'm just simplifying it.

And if anything, I would say this gen's group would point to somewhere in Europe, as Robin Hood was an English tale, and opera was a heavily Italian thing, and mostly spread to other European countries. Wrestling I know jack about, but Incineroar just gives off an American WWE vibe. So... idk about that.

Ancient Greek wrestling and Palé.
In ancient Rome too.
+ Sirene also myth comes from Greece, that makes me wounder if we could get more mythical creatures.
Centaurs, Pans, Minotaur, Medusa all fit the remaining fire starters purpose only the rabbit is a wild card and could be associated with Indians if we go the american route.

Grass starters were done after knight with shield and archer, what is next? a Assasin? sword fighter?
or maybe the lion that hercules faught , grass/steel or grass/rock?

If we go to Europe then water type could be bear based on viking and be part fighting or they could make a water/ghost swan or something that kind. But water/ghost I cold see a physical oriented elephant.

Norway, Sweden , Russia are on the same level like Canda or Alaska you know?
The bear would/could be a good motive if with viking helmet and axe on rings on the claws on the frist sides. A water/fighting would be good. Also want a ice type paradise region for once.

As I want a hot desert oriented region based on Egipt, Sahara, Namib, Mojave, Arabian and Syrian desert, RPA, Middle east. But that would be only good if they will two seperated regions and generations, not mixed.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom