• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
omg we don't have a peacock yet indeed, this needs to be fixed asap.

With Grass-type starters mostly being based on animals, it would be nice to have an actual plant-based one this time. Though I'm afraid the starters all being based on animals will stay a thing, they're probably more popular than plants/objects/etc. A grasshopper might work though.
Yeah, A Grass/Flying Peacock pokemon NEEDS to be done, Besides, We need MORE Avian Grass/flying types other than Rowlet & Dartrix!!

Yeah, A Grass/Flying Peacock pokemon NEEDS to be done, Besides, We need MORE Avian Grass/flying types other than Rowlet & Dartrix!!

Rowlet's typing wasn't appreciated very much when it was revealed....

I think I'll prefer a Fire/Flying, Fire/Fairy, Fire/Electric or... an epic Fire/Grass peacock!

If it's Africa, the Mascots need to be based on Egyptian gods...
If that were the case, a sphinx-like Pokémon would be cool as a minor legendary.

I don't really think the box legendaries have to correspond to their region though. They typically don't. I mean, even in sun and moon, where so much of alolan culture is mirrored from actual Hawaiian culture, solgaleo and lunala don't really have any Hawaiian origins, unlike the Tapus.

There are plenty of things that haven't been made into Pokémon yet. Dolphin, peacock, grasshopper, mosquito, cheetah, antelope, flamingo... and these are just common animals I can think of off the top of my head. There's a whole world of plants and other kingdoms that can be explored, so to me, it's a little upsetting when they recycle animals over and over and over. Like cats. The fact that litten became a tiger was the only thing that kept me from being annoyed at another cat. I mean, I get it, people like cats, but give it a rest. There's been one almost every generation. In fact, gen 2 is the only one I can think of that didn't introduce a new cat. As for other things like dogs, I'd actually be fine if they recycled them, as long as they gave us different breeds or whatever. Hopefully they can make some new species into Pokémon though, I was glad to see things this gen like a koala, sea cucumber, and toucan.

Dolphin has been in the game since Gen 1.

They merged it with the Loch Ness Monster to create Lapras.

If it's Africa, the Mascots need to be based on Egyptian gods...

That's one tiny region of Northeast Africa. What about the rest of the continent?

What about the desert of the region is Egypt-based and the rest is South African or some other African country based?

What about the desert of the region is Egypt-based and the rest is South African or some other African country based?

That crosses into territory that is far too risky for most video game companies. It carries with it certain implications that all African cultures are the exact same, which given the history of that particular viewpoint is... not wise, to put it mildly.

That's part of why it is most video games barely touch the continent at best outside of Egypt.

That crosses into territory that is far too risky for most video game companies. It carries with it certain implications that all African cultures are the exact same, which given the history of that particular viewpoint is... not wise, to put it mildly.

That's part of why it is most video games barely touch the continent at best outside of Egypt.
South Africa would be the best bet then. It has many video game ties with Nintendo and other companies.

If you want somewhere cold, for the next region, the jokes about Britain's Weather are a well worn cliche ;)

So far, since we left Japanese regions, Unova, Kalos, and Alola have all been based on areas Japanese people like to visit. So the UK would be a good bet, but also other Asian territories maybe, like Hong Kong.

I would like a Water/Ground elephant that grows to have the same size as RL.
Maybe also a Ground-type dog that can search the ground with its smell.

How a blob fish Pokémon? It'll be Water/Poison and release noxious gas bubbles.
Blob Fish.png

I think it'll either be Italy, Spain/Portugal or the UK since they're all next to France/Kalos. Greece or the Scandinavian countries would be cool too.

Last edited:
So far, since we left Japanese regions, Unova, Kalos, and Alola have all been based on areas Japanese people like to visit. So the UK would be a good bet, but also other Asian territories maybe, like Hong Kong.
Why the UK? According to this article, the following countries are more likely: South Korea, China, Guam, Spain and Germany.

I don't find Guam likely (it has less to offer than Hawaii and would seem repetitive), so that leaves two main candidates from Asia and two from Europe. And I guess that China isn't too likely, either, since Japan has a troubled history with it and the primary reason for travel these days is business. Similarly, it seems that South Korea is negatively perceived by over a third of the Japanese... The young folks don't seem to care, but maybe Game Freak do.

If they want to play it safe, they'll use either Germany or Spain. If they want to be adventurous... Hopefully Australia or somewhere in Africa (probably Egypt).

Last edited:
Germany would be pretty similar to France though...
I know. Been there and done that, not to mention the ugly history... Imagine if we had anyone like Lysandre in a Germany-based region.

Spain would manage to feel more different in a good way, though. But I am hoping for Australia, or Egypt if they do a good job with the lore.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom