• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Iceland, Italy , Greece or even less likely China

Chital deer , the vyvern is also bat like.
There are deers on Hawaii.

Its Deer not deers regardless if its one or more

I'd just like a Fire/Fairy rabbit, since Japan has those myths where Rabbits exist on the moon.

Like the craters of the Moon looking likea rabbit making rice cakes for example

Last edited:
The rabbit in the moon thing is also a Chinese legend.

I think it could be cool to have a region based on Beijing.

Pancham becomes somewhat of a second mascot.
A Fire/Grass paper lantern Pokemon.
A Ground/Fighting terracotta warrior Pokemon.
12 legendaries for each of the zodiac lol.

It can even feature the black and white dragons again!

Last edited:
Here's my hopes for Gen 8:

Customization stays.
The clothes are not version exclusive.
There are more haircut options.
No new mechanic like Megas and Z-Moves.
Festival Plaza is removed.
Walking with your Pokemon returns.
Old fishing mechanics return.
The Fire starter is not humanoid.
The tutorials are skippable.
Terrains are nerfed. (The Tapus need balancing)
No forced Kanto references.
More postgame features, like Contests or Secret Bases. (This is for the players who don't like competitive battling and want something to do after the game is over.)
The game is not open world.

Customization stays.
More postgame features, like Contests or Secret Bases. (This is for the players who don't like competitive battling and want something to do after the game is over.)
Probably
Probably not
Probably
Probably not
Probably
Maybe
Maybe
Maybe
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Maybe
Probably

Hahaha, no humanoid Fire starter? Yeah, that is not happening, ever. It's Game Freak we are talking about. I can see Mewtwo evolving into Mewthree, but a non-humanoid Fire starter? Never :p:p

Customization stays.

- Gamefreak would be foolish to get rid of customisation at this point. It would be a large step backwards.
- In regards to clothing options being version exclusive, I mostly agree with this. While I wouldn't mind one or two options being version exclusive, I certainly would prefer most options to be available on both versions. I especially do not want certain colours to be version exclusive either, like it was in SM.
- I agree with no new battle mechanics such as Mega evolution and Z moves to a certain extent. I wouldn't want Gamefreak to overload and overcomplicated the battle mechanics, however, if they do have fresh new ideas that don't overload battles and don't conflict with current mechanics, I'll be open to it.
- The new fishing mechanic doesn't bother me either way, so on that point I don't really care what Gamefreak does with it.
- I would like to see a Fire type starter Pokemon to stay Quadruped, depending on what animal they base it from.
- I disagree on not having an open world. I enjoy those types of games personally, and would like to see Pokemon push itself further to reach an open world type game in the future.

- I would like to see a Fire type starter Pokemon to stay Quadruped, depending on what animal they base it from.

snake and horse seem very posibble to stay on ground with all there limbs, rabbit can be bipedal, but a goat, Ox are likely to be based on greek mythology.

hope for fire to be paired with fairy, poison, ghost, steel, electric.
(fire/ground should be mega Typholosion)
Hope they will focus one region on dry sandy deserts and africa based climate, one on an icy climate , one on a futuristic city oriented region(where pokemon needed to change to survive urbanization), one on a australia one on swamps and forests with european style castles - horror oriented.
Im waiting for a electric/flying falcon, a ice/flying snow owl , a electric/steel gepard, a fire/dragon with levitate, a new ice/dragon, electric dragon, medievial rose , grass/dragon, steel/fighting musketeer mouse, ground/fairy royal pig and many animals and objects that were not used yet in the pokeverse.

Hope they make better use of traps( trapping the foe) with moves and abilities that will react to that more. The same goes for switching. Also freeze need a re-done (buff and nerf in moves and abilities) to be used more and properly.

Maybe they could make the alolan signature starter moves reduce speed one stage or let tchem move the next turn first?

Last edited:

Customization stays.

You hope that the series remains non-open world?

I think one of my main issues with Sun/Moon is how they feel so...limited. Like more limited than previous Pokemon games. I'd like to see this alleviated. The extremely limited areas to surf, and only select places to fish certainly didn't help. It feels like while although they removed the need for HMs, they turned around and limited the environments for no reason.

I certainly hope they drop the G1 pandering.

You hope that the series remains non-open world?

I think one of my main issues with Sun/Moon is how they feel so...limited. Like more limited than previous Pokemon games. I'd like to see this alleviated. The extremely limited areas to surf, and only select places to fish certainly didn't help. It feels like while although they removed the need for HMs, they turned around and limited the environments for no reason.

This is more a problem of technological limitations and time limitations for creating content than the worldstyle. Open World does not necessarily mean that it won't still feel this limited or lacking of content; there are a large number of open world games, the best example being Sims 3, that fully demonstrate the same sense of limitation due to the sheer lack of content.

If anything, there's been a bit of a backlash in certain segments of the gaming community against open world games because they have the same complaints about open world games that you do about Sun and Moon.

Personally, I hope GF takes a bit longer with the next generation and adds a lot more content.

Here's my hopes for 8th gen:

-Region design closer to open world/sandbox games (i.e., more like Mario 64/Sunshine/Odyssey, Ocarina of Time, BotW, etc.). Enough of this "we only design the region for casuals" mentality, as casuals will be far from the only market that buys a Switch Pokemon game (and for that matter, they weren't the only market that bought the 3DS Pokemon games), and the console audience Game Freak will gain on the Switch will expect much more of them in the exploration department. So Game Freak should take a close look at those games and what they did when deciding on what direction to take the game. I don't think the game should go full on BotW, because that would completely abandon the casual audience and they don't want to do that, but they should definitely be more flexible about providing opportunities to wander off and explore for people that want a more exploration oriented experience while still keeping the design simple and straightforward for those that don't.
-Some kind of co-op system in the game that allows other players to explore the region with you. With the Switch being a hybrid console with multiple different ways to connect with other people, Game Freak should really take advantage of this and really deepen the interactions with other players.
-Be smarter about which features to add, which features to keep, and which ones to throw away. Wanting to make each game unique and have its own features and gameplay mechanics is great, but lately Game Freak has made the series extremely inconsistent by either dropping features that offer a significant benefit to the core gameplay (multiple difficulty modes, the PSS, the Dexnav) or throwing in new ones that convolute the gameplay (Mega Evolution, regional variants, Z-Moves). And this really limits the series' evolution and potential for improvement. So they really need to put more thought into how they go about improving the series and what their next move should be. If you introduce something that improves the core gameplay, you should expect to keep it until you come up with something better. But if you're just adding some kind of bonus feature or sidequest that's not really related to the core gameplay (like Contests, Secret Bases, Festival Plaza, etc.), you can safely drop those things without causing too much of an uproar in the fanbase (certainly, the people that like those things will be disappointed, but in general you probably won't see a lot of complaints about losing those things, just about the general amount of content in the game). In particular, this is what they should bring back and keep:
  • Either the PSS should return or they should create some equivalent. Don't tie online gameplay to a feature like Festival Plaza, make the online convenient and easy to use.
  • Keep all form/evolution mechanics like Megas and regional variants. Don't add any others unless you expect to use them throughout the course of the series, not just the game or generation they're introduced in.
  • Z-Moves should stay.
  • Multiple difficulty modes should be brought back without needing to use a key system. They should be an option as soon as you start the game, right when you select your name and gender.
  • Poke Ride should permanently replace HMs. Poke Ride has virtually all of the same benefits as HMs with the added bonus of not needing to waste a move slot on your team to use them.
  • Dexnav. Far too beneficial a mechanic to throw away.
  • Character customization. In addition to giving the players a greater sense of identity, this is a key feature in online communication and should never be dropped again.
  • The Rotom Dex's help system and map screen, which would be even more important in a more exploration oriented region since it would help casuals with navigation.
That leaves them opportunities to experiment and create an identity for the region with the following:
  • Sidequests like Contests, Secret Bases, Festival Plaza, etc.
  • Different battling styles like Rotation Battles, Triple Battles, Battle Royale, the Battle Frontier facilities, etc.
  • Regional gadgets and apps
  • Any other kinds of content not related to the core formula
In general, they should just make this game bold and varied so it can appeal to a wide variety of people and represent a major step forward for the series. Nintendo isn't messing around with the Switch, big name franchises like Mario and Zelda are making huge leaps with their respective entries and creating the biggest, boldest, and best games they possibly can. Pokemon should really follow suit and put their full effort into making 8th gen the best game they possibly can that any kind of Pokemon fan can enjoy.

Last edited:
My hopes for the game.

It's set in Antarctica. Global warming is a thing and there isn't much land and there's one Gym but it's abandoned and you get lost and end up trying to survive until you get rescued and you go home. You're only allowed a Delibird and there are only just ice types in the game.

Here's my hopes for 8th gen:

-Region design closer to open world/sandbox games (i.e., more like Mario 64/Sunshine/Odyssey, Ocarina of Time, BotW, etc.). Enough of this "we only design the region for casuals" mentality, as casuals will be far from the only market that buys a Switch Pokemon game (and for that matter, they weren't the only market that bought the 3DS Pokemon games), and the console audience Game Freak will gain on the Switch will expect much more of them in the exploration department. So Game Freak should take a close look at those games and what they did when deciding on what direction to take the game. I don't think the game should go full on BotW, because that would completely abandon the casual audience and they don't want to do that, but they should definitely be more flexible about providing opportunities to wander off and explore for people that want a more exploration oriented experience while still keeping the design simple and straightforward for those that don't.
-Some kind of co-op system in the game that allows other players to explore the region with you. With the Switch being a hybrid console with multiple different ways to connect with other people, Game Freak should really take advantage of this and really deepen the interactions with other players.
-Be smarter about which features to add, which features to keep, and which ones to throw away. Wanting to make each game unique and have its own features and gameplay mechanics is great, but lately Game Freak has made the series extremely inconsistent by either dropping features that offer a significant benefit to the core gameplay (multiple difficulty modes, the PSS, the Dexnav) or throwing in new ones that convolute the gameplay (Mega Evolution, regional variants, Z-Moves). And this really limits the series' evolution and potential for improvement. So they really need to put more thought into how they go about improving the series and what their next move should be. If you introduce something that improves the core gameplay, you should expect to keep it until you come up with something better. But if you're just adding some kind of bonus feature or sidequest that's not really related to the core gameplay (like Contests, Secret Bases, Festival Plaza, etc.), you can safely drop those things without causing too much of an uproar in the fanbase (certainly, the people that like those things will be disappointed, but in general you probably won't see a lot of complaints about losing those things, just about the general amount of content in the game). In particular, this is what they should bring back and keep:
  • Either the PSS should return or they should create some equivalent. Don't tie online gameplay to a feature like Festival Plaza, make the online convenient and easy to use.
  • Keep all form/evolution mechanics like Megas and regional variants. Don't add any others unless you expect to use them throughout the course of the series, not just the game or generation they're introduced in.
  • Z-Moves should stay.
  • Multiple difficulty modes should be brought back without needing to use a key system. They should be an option as soon as you start the game, right when you select your name and gender.
  • Poke Ride should permanently replace HMs. Poke Ride has virtually all of the same benefits as HMs with the added bonus of not needing to waste a move slot on your team to use them.
  • Dexnav. Far too beneficial a mechanic to throw away.
  • Character customization. In addition to giving the players a greater sense of identity, this is a key feature in online communication and should never be dropped again.
  • The Rotom Dex's help system and map screen, which would be even more important in a more exploration oriented region since it would help casuals with navigation.
That leaves them opportunities to experiment and create an identity for the region with the following:
  • Sidequests like Contests, Secret Bases, Festival Plaza, etc.
  • Different battling styles like Rotation Battles, Triple Battles, Battle Royale, the Battle Frontier facilities, etc.
  • Regional gadgets and apps
  • Any other kinds of content not related to the core formula
In general, they should just make this game bold and varied so it can appeal to a wide variety of people and represent a major step forward for the series. Nintendo isn't messing around with the Switch, big name franchises like Mario and Zelda are making huge leaps with their respective entries and creating the biggest, boldest, and best games they possibly can. Pokemon should really follow suit and put their full effort into making 8th gen the best game they possibly can that any kind of Pokemon fan can enjoy.

This is exactly what comes into my mind if there is a main game in the Switch. Although I think that Pokémon has come to a point where we have too many generations and regions, then I am still in favor of adding new features "exclusives" by generation like Z-moves and Mega Evolutions. I believe this gives the public "outside" the perception of "progress" in the franchise.

I don't know the correct term to define this, but these unique big features have become something definitely needed. If people used to say: "hey, this fan game is cool but has that new region, Sinnoh?" Now people say: "hey, this hack room is cool and such but has that new thing called Z-move like in the newest official games?" I think that only new places and new Pokémon are no longer a differential now that we have 7 regions and more than 800 monsters.

About the withdrawal of the PSS this was definitely the biggest dumb thing they did in SM in my opinion. But maybe the Plaza didn't go as they intended...

This is exactly what comes into my mind if there is a main game in the Switch. Although I think that Pokémon has come to a point where we have too many generations and regions, then I am still in favor of adding new features "exclusives" by generation like Z-moves and Mega Evolutions. I believe this gives the public "outside" the perception of "progress" in the franchise.

I don't know the correct term to define this, but these unique big features have become something definitely needed. If people used to say: "hey, this fan game is cool but has that new region, Sinnoh?" Now people say: "hey, this hack room is cool and such but has that new thing called Z-move like in the newest official games?" I think that only new places and new Pokémon are no longer a differential now that we have 7 regions and more than 800 monsters.

Well no, that's not quite what I'm saying. I'm saying constantly adding in new gimmicks like Mega Evolutions and Z Moves overcomplicates the gameplay and keeps the series stagnant. Because for one you have all of these new forms to keep track of with different methods of obtaining them and it's just a complete mess, and second, if you introduce something one game and throw it away the next, you've just undone all of the improvement you made with that game so the series hasn't really improved overall. If you're going to throw in new mechanics like that, especially those that are related to new forms of Pokemon (which would be difficult to retcon), don't just toss it away. If you introduce something like that, you should intend on sticking with it for a while and continue with it and even build on it throughout the series.

Well no, that's not quite what I'm saying. I'm saying constantly adding in new gimmicks like Mega Evolutions and Z Moves overcomplicates the gameplay and keeps the series stagnant. Because for one you have all of these new forms to keep track of with different methods of obtaining them and it's just a complete mess, and second, if you introduce something one game and throw it away the next, you've just undone all of the improvement you made with that game so the series hasn't really improved overall. If you're going to throw in new mechanics like that, especially those that are related to new forms of Pokemon (which would be difficult to retcon), don't just toss it away. If you introduce something like that, you should intend on sticking with it for a while and continue with it and even build on it throughout the series.

Yes, I understand what you mean, I am also in favor of keeping the mechanics as Mega Evolution, but I think it necessary to add new mechanics for the reason cited above. Not for the sake of personal taste, but for the health of the series that is already saturated with new regions/new Pokémon.

Yes, this complicates the gameplay, and this mechanics will be saturated one hour too, but I can't imagine a better way to keep the franchise relevant. I think it's okay if they plan well what should be put in and what shouldn't.

On the issue of undone all of the improvement you made with, I really think that if the games sold and impacted the same way they did but without these new mechanics, they would not even add them, and continue adding only new regions/monsters. I don't think it's a matter of improvement the game, but a commercial motivation, to have something new to sell, but it's only my opinion.

Also, English isn't my official language, I hope that you are understanding me, lol, my bad for this

Last edited:
Where ever the Gen VIII games are based off of, I want to think that the region for Gen VIII will be the "another region" that the Pokedex entries for Yungoos and Gumshoos mention.
if it will be afica or india then maybe a elephant or a hippo starter?
I would love a water/poison or water/electric hippo to counter primarina and past generation grass types or water types.
Donphan was rather the India variant.
Thast why I think next gen will be there.
Plus many past generation pokemon associated with africa and could be reused and done with megas and generation regional forms.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom