• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
I wish we have the option to be a jerk to our rival, and he, in anger and jealousy ends up joining Team x. But if we're all friendly to him, he actually ends up helping us in the climax.

I would love to see a region with a colder climate as well. It would contrast with the hot, tropical Alola that came before quite well. I'm thinking maybe Russia as the base?

Russia would be cool. No pun intended. However, Japan and Russia aren't exactly good friends because of the dispute over the Kuril Islands, so if we get an icy region, I'd presume it would be from a more "friendly" region, like Alaska, Canada, or Scandinavia. It would also give a good excuse to add a boatload of Ice types. Hopefully we'd get some more speedy attacking ones along the lines of Weavile.

I'd kill for a decent Bug/Ice-type that'd be like a neutered version of Syclant from Smogon's Create-A-Pokémon project. Like, make it exclusively a Special attacker instead of making it a Mixed attacker. I doubt they'd give it an ability like Mountaineer, but Volcarona's got a double Sneaky Pebbles weakness without recovery options, and she's still OU because she's got such good stats. Just give the Bug/Ice-type decent enough stats, although I'd still use it even if it was just RU. I mean, I still use Galvantula, Heracross, Yanmega and Golisopod despite being mediocre competitively, since in battles against people who aren't building their teams for competitive battle they're fairly decent. Even Scizor ain't what it used to be thanks to Tapu Lele, but I ain't gonna stop using my number one favorite.

I just hope that Gen VIII doesn't totally screw over any new Bug types like XY did. Even though Gen VII wasn't as good to Bug-types as Gen V was, it was still home to some Bug-types that are fairly decent, not to mention how great Pheromosa and Buzzwole are.

Last edited:
I think that Iceland would make the ideal region. It's very beautiful in nature, has a cool climate and has many volcanoes as well.

what would you say if the starters would be based on:

-water (egiptian pharao/god, water/poison hipppp...)
-fire(roman centurion, fire/steel oxxxx)
-grass(african tribe warrior, grass/rock, lionnn warior)?

Last edited:
I think these

and this

Could work nicely in an ancient Rome based region covering Italy, Turkey Egypt and Greece.

yes persian sword fighter could work well with grass/steel or grass/rock.
The wood or leaf motive.

also good character motives are:
Alchemist,
Shaman,
Witchdoctor,
Barbarian,
Amazon(water/electric jaguar).
Persian Mummy sword fighter (Grass/rock)

(I imagine even a white Hindu elephant with turban, water/ghost)

Last edited:
Like I said, I would enjoy a Greco-Romanesque region to see how they can use the mythology as inspiration. The Greeks and Romans did introduce such iconic monsters such as Gorgons, Cerberus (before anyone bring sup Houndoom, yes Ceberus didn't always have 3 heads, but that depiction is now iconic, Leaving that pokemon as more of a general hell-hound) Pegasus, the Hydra (Hydreigon sorta counts, but its supposed to be based on the Orichi) and the Spinx. As well as being a way to bring forth lesser known creatures and mythical creatures from say, Islamic or middle eastern folklore (Like say, the Al-mi'raj) and Egyptian Mythology (though probably not without controversy for the former, but its possible)

Last edited:
UK, and then we can connect to Kalos and bring Mega Evolution back to the forefront.

You could split England, Wales, Scotland and (either Northern Ireland or the whole of Ireland) into 4 areas like the 4 Alolan Islands.
Isle of Wight as the location of the Elite 4

I wouldn't mind a UK based region for Gen VIII. Splitting up the entire region into 4 parts would be nice, too. Especially if they're much bigger than Alola's islands. Regional Dex should be at least/around 400.

UK, and then we can connect to Kalos and bring Mega Evolution back to the forefront.

I would rather have Southern Kalos and also Portugal/Spain in this case. A UK region feels like it would be similar to Kalos.

If we get a UK-based region, I hope it draws a lot from Celtic mythology. Maybe have a Water starter based on the kelpie - it starts off as a cute little Water-type pony (Evil Keldeo?), and eventually evolves into a Water/Ghost Plesiosaurus (since the Loch Ness monster originated as a kelpie in mythology, and kelpies can change shape).

Granted, Water/Fairy would make more sense given that kelpies were a type of fairy, but I'd really rather not see another trend like Fire/Fighting...

Last edited:
could a rhino be a good sword fighter with its horn or would a lion be better for a grass/rock or grass/steel pokemon?

If we get a poison/water starter then a water type move that could poison should be posibble, like dirty flod, dirty river, toxic water or Waste Water.

Many ideas could be used for more then one generation.

a UK based region could also be posibble they too had roman contacts in past.

Remember that extinct animals also can become starters, there where wooly rhinos and other animals in UK.
List of extinct animals of the British Isles - Wikipedia

European jaguar and hippopotamus?

Fire/ghost horse, fire/fairy goat pan or maybe a rabbit figgure?
water : a water/electric beaver, you know why.
grass would need something ancien and extinct like a wool rhino, mammuth, wolf, lion or something that kind. Taking that this generation had a fire predator that outclased grass owl predator I think that next generation could feature a water predator like a jaguar but who knows, a physical water/poison hippo would be much better and would be needed.

but the british kingdom in past was also great and was paired with Egipt and other countries like the roman empire.

Last edited:
but the british kingdom in past was also great and was paired with Egipt and other countries like the roman empire.

Oh, I remember taking Medieval England a few years back and the poor area was just invaded time and time again, by the Romans, by the Normans, by the Anglo-Saxons... Lol.

Anyway, a Greece inspired region would be really neat. However, I would have honestly preferred it to have been Generation VII. Since Alola was tropical, I really want to see them go somewhere different, a colder region like Norway, Finland, Greenland, etc. Especially if it's in HD on the Switch. It's a type of region that the beauty of isn't shown enough. Plus a colder region might lead to better ice types.

I definitely think a Greece inspired region would be amazing somewhere down the line. As I said, I wish it would have been Generation VII instead of Alola, but what can I do?

Personally I dislike cold, icy regions. They are incredibly boring and plain.

But this doesn't mean I want an other hot, tropical region again. It would be a bit too much. Instead, I am talking about a BALANCED REGION. Not hot, not cold. Something like Johto or Unova. Those are the best examples of what I want for Gen VIII. It is time for a balanced region again.

Last edited:
Personally I dislike cold, icy regions. They are incredibly boring and plain.

But this doesn't mean I want an other hot, tropical region again. It would be a bit too much. Instead, I am talking about a BALANCED REGION. Not cold, not cold. Something like Johto or Unova. Those are the best examples. It is time for a balanced region again.

I think that GF would have a to take that approach even when making a region based on (an)arctic nations. If nothing else, becuase they have to find out how to add a Magnetic cave, the Leaf Rock, and locations for a diverse pokedex (Since I presume all the Gyms and their analogues would not be sticking to Ice-types). They might also have to add locations that might seem fitting for legendary pokemon if they decide on using the region for two pairs (or better yet, add in older legendary pokemon form the get go)

Plus it also gives them an excuse to finally make an Ice/Normal type. One of two type combinations with Normal that hasn't been assigned to a pokemon yet, and make Ice Pokemon usable for the early game, where most players wouldn't have finalized their team.

I think that GF would have a to take that approach even when making a region based on (an)arctic nations. If nothing else, becuase they have to find out how to add a Magnetic cave, the Leaf Rock, and locations for a diverse pokedex (Since I presume all the Gyms and their analogues would not be sticking to Ice-types). They might also have to add locations that might seem fitting for legendary pokemon if they decide on using the region for two pairs (or better yet, add in older legendary pokemon form the get go)

Plus it also gives them an excuse to finally make an Ice/Normal type. One of two type combinations with Normal that hasn't been assigned to a pokemon yet, and make Ice Pokemon usable for the early game, where most players wouldn't have finalized their team.
I still want a south/central American or an African inspired region because they have such diverse biomes (a lot of mountains that could house ice types). Also there are a few normal combination types that have yet to be used (i want them all not that they'd all be good): normal/rock, normal/poison, normal/ice, normal/ghost, normal/bug, and normal/steel (if you don't count F-00)

Anyway, a Greece inspired region would be really neat. However, I would have honestly preferred it to have been Generation VII. Since Alola was tropical, I really want to see them go somewhere different, a colder region like Norway, Finland, Greenland, etc. Especially if it's in HD on the Switch. It's a type of region that the beauty of isn't shown enough. Plus a colder region might lead to better ice types.

I definitely think a Greece inspired region would be amazing somewhere down the line. As I said, I wish it would have been Generation VII instead of Alola, but what can I do?

maybe a mix? half Greece , half Norway? that could go well.

then maybe a egiptian region... but the starters dont need necesarry to fit in perfectly.
I only want 4 water themed starters in future 4 games:
hippo(pharao, water/poison, with water move that poisons the foe)
71/115/123/76/90/55,
taking its typing.
jaguar(amazon, electric/water, fast), bear(viking, water fighting) , elephant(hindu, water/ghost),

If we have 5 more games to go then thay have a lot generations to realize diffrent fanbased wishes.

Last edited:
elephant(hindu,

Actually, the Hindu elephant Lord Ganesh actually suggests a Fire/Something Type from my experience (I am Indian and Hindu). The lord is worshipped in the Festival of Lights (basically fire, since fire crackers and candles are a huge part of the festival).

I personally think the perfect type for such a Pokémon will be Fire/Fighting, which will obviously not sit well with the fanbase.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom