• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Actually, the Hindu elephant Lord Ganesh actually suggests a Fire/Something Type from my experience (I am Indian and Hindu). The lord is worshipped in the Festival of Lights (basically fire, since fire crackers and candles are a huge part of the festival).

I personally think the perfect type for such a Pokémon will be Fire/Fighting, which will obviously not sit well with the fanbase.
Why not make Lord Ganesh a legendary then instead of a starter?

Actually, the Hindu elephant Lord Ganesh actually suggests a Fire/Something Type from my experience (I am Indian and Hindu). The lord is worshipped in the Festival of Lights (basically fire, since fire crackers and candles are a huge part of the festival).

I personally think the perfect type for such a Pokémon will be Fire/Fighting, which will obviously not sit well with the fanbase.

nice to know. like the spicy food from India.
the is not only not only Ganesha ?
do you know Airavata?
But elephant are water animals rather. Lights could suggest for a interesting moveset.
I would mixe it up with african elephant, elephants are know for their memory , water motive and for their great elephant reting places(graveyards). Could be a grass type becuse of jungle motive or psyhic becuse of the memory, but I want a water/ghost, that could be a dual wall with good special attack but no ice moves.
The three heads I would change into 3 pairs of Tusk and maybe 3 trunks.
Yes it also has a fighting motive and reference but there are moves for that like close combat and arm thrust that could be done fine with the trunk.

the fire/fighting would make a good first non-starter pokemon though.

nice to know. like the spicy food from India.
the is not only not only Ganesha ?
do you know Airavata?

Had to look it up. It is much less known in Indian mythology. The first thing that comes up in the head of any Indian when you say 'Hindu Elephant' happens to be Ganesh.

But elephant are water animals rather.
What? The only connection elephants have with water is that they can store it in their trunks. If I were to give a type to an Elephant it would be Ground/Psychic or Fighting/Psychic.

Why not make Lord Ganesh a legendary then instead of a starter?
It makes more sense, specially since he has a largely fire motif, and a grass or water type would look out of place with that inspiration. And the fire starters are usually adopted from the fire Zodiac. But I highly doubt this will become a reality unless the region takes some form of inspiration from the Indian Subcontinent.

I still want a Fire/Fairy horse starter, or maybe a Fire/Fairy rabbit with a high speed stat.

What? The only connection elephants have with water is that they can store it in their trunks. If I were to give a type to an Elephant it would be Ground/Psychic or Fighting/Psychic.
without water they die. African elephants are asociated with grass and water, but how many landgoing water conected animals do we have for good and interesting water starter pokemon?

without water they die. African elephants are asociated with grass and water, but how many landgoing water conected animals do we have for good and interesting water starter pokemon?

Every animal dies without water. Even we due without water. Does that mean Infernape should be a water type?

Every animal dies without water. Even we due without water. Does that mean Infernape should be a water type?
but it has a trunk and can have a lot of water and blow it out of it... also its a animal that can swim...
past generation water starters like empoleon, sammuotr, feraligatr, greninja and blastoise come in mind.

Plus it would be a perfect landmoving starter water pokemon for a hot desert area.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWZlGtM_KI

Last edited:
but it has a trunk and can have a lot of water and blow it out of it... also its a animal that can swim...
past generation water starters like empoleon, sammuotr, feraligatr and blastoise come in mind.

Those are literally the only connections. I listed the 'elephants throw water' thing, and, the first thing after I googled 'Can elephants swim?' Was:

**Like all mammals** (except humans and apes, who have to learn how to swim), elephants are very good, untiring swimmers.

Not a unique trait to elephants.

past generation water starters like empoleon, sammuotr, feraligatr and blastoise come in mind.

... Those arguments are not enough. Elephants are much more associated as land animals. If anything, ground type makes more sense, but we already have Donphan.

both of your arguments suggest that any water starters should be a water starter at all do you know that? frogs and most of those animals need air to breath on land.

both of your arguments suggest that any water starters should be a water starter at all do you know that? frogs and most of those animals need air to breath on land.

And your argument suggests that everything should be water type simply because they need water to live and/or they can swim. That isn't any better at all.

"An Elephant would make a good water type Pokémon because it can store water in it's trunk." That is an actual quote, made by you.

And your argument suggests that everything should be water type simply because they need water to live and/or they can swim. That isn't any better at all.

"An Elephant would make a good water type Pokémon because it can store water in it's trunk." That is an actual quote, made by you.
what other water animals you suggest? dolphin? rather not it is not landbased enough.
beaver? platypus? all seem nice but are they fast enough and could be defensive? what next?
5 more generations and starters to go.
I would take jaguar(fast), bear, hippo, elephant becuse they also can stay long in water for their own purpose.

How Long Can Mammals Hold Their Breath Underwater? - Swim Guide

View: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/may/06/jaguar-swims-underwater-during-feeding-video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIP--MsqnM

But they're also water dwelling. A frog can stay in water for as long as needed, while it is not so with an elephant.

people want more wwater mammals , what you would suggest to do?
I wanted a water pirate spider and all complained.

past generation water starters like empoleon, sammuotr, feraligatr, greninja and blastoise come in mind.

Plus it would be a perfect landmoving starter water pokemon for a hot desert area.

I think it's a cute idea though. Blue elephants are cute. It's not like cats had much to do with fire.

Last edited:
We still have turtles and just because the basis is seabound doesn't mean the Pokemon has to be. We could have Bipedal fish people, Cthulhu-esque pokemon like Malamar, or literal flying fish for starters.

I think that a dragonfish would make a better Water starter. It could be like this:

Water/Dragon, Dragonfish
Fire/Fairy, Horse/Rabbit
Grass/Rock or maybe Grass/Ground, Maybe a mole who's adopted a coat of moss

What do you think could possibly be the theme for Generation VIII, like how Generation IV was about time and space and Generation VII was about sun and moon?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom