• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Generation VIII Movie in 2020

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Hi there, someone just saw the Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution movie in Expo, and at the end of the credits, there is a short animation of Pikachu running through a forest, sliding through a vine and landing in water. It's traditional 2D animated this time, however the title is unknown at this point. All we know is that it'll be released in 2020, and will be the first Gen 8 Sword and Shield movie.

This movie might follow the anime series of Sword and Shield, however because the Gen 6 movies did poorly in the Japanese box office, since Gen 7 the film animation decided to go a different direction with Ash travelling with new and original characters.

One theory that seems likely is that it could be ''Pokemon Masters'' the movie, only with Ash appearing in that Region, meeting and accompanying with the characters, helping to stop the evil team and have some connections with an event Gen 8 Pokemon. I wouldn't even be surprised if Leon would make an appearance in the movie to promote the Gen 8 characters in Pokemon Masters, and the event Pokemon for Sword and Shield, and possible Gen 4 Remake.

But anyway, I thought I might post this up to see what you think.

Also, the title of ''Pokemon with us'' is for a charity, not the film.

Oh I'm interested! I think the thing I am happiest for is that it's not going to be another remake movie. Like, don't get me wrong remaking the movies is cool, but I still can not stand how the humans look with that CGI animation. So I'm happy for going back to the traditional 2D style. Hope we'll get some more info on it soon.

Interesting. Serebii hasn't covered this.
Actually...
Serebii said:
During the special screening at Anime Expo of this year's movie, a small teaser for the 2020 Pokémon movie was shown. This teaser showed Pikachu sliding down a vine in a forest in traditional animation. We'll provide full details as they come

Oh I'm interested! I think the thing I am happiest for is that it's not going to be another remake movie. Like, don't get me wrong remaking the movies is cool, but I still can not stand how the humans look with that CGI animation. So I'm happy for going back to the traditional 2D style. Hope we'll get some more info on it soon.
I'm just happy that they're not going down the Disney route with remakes in order to get more money.

How can you possibly tell?
I can't, but our last two 2D films were a reimagined first episode and then Power of Us... a movie featuring Lugia much like Power of One did. Plus with the Mewtwo movie remake still retreading old films' ground, a new Celebi movie isn't a terribly wild guess.

Plus the Celebi movie featured a lot of water and plants, so... ya know, vines and water.

I can't, but our last two 2D films were a reimagined first episode and then Power of Us... a movie featuring Lugia much like Power of One did. Plus with the Mewtwo movie remake still retreading old films' ground, a new Celebi movie isn't a terribly wild guess.

Plus the Celebi movie featured a lot of water and plants, so... ya know, vines and water.
The Pokemon have been going down this direction since Pokemon I choose you because the movies based on the XY Series weren't doing very well at the Japanese Box Office. Neither did the XY anime in Japan, nor the games. So I assume a similar change to the series would likely appear for Sword and Shield, just like Sun and Moon.

Also, Celebi did appear in the Sun and Moon anime if you haven't realised, so it might not be a Celebi movie, but a completely different twist entirely. We won't know until the end of the year.

The Pokemon have been going down this direction since Pokemon I choose you because the movies based on the XY Series weren't doing very well at the Japanese Box Office. Neither did the XY anime in Japan, nor the games. So I assume a similar change to the series would likely appear for Sword and Shield, just like Sun and Moon.

Also, Celebi did appear in the Sun and Moon anime if you haven't realised, so it might not be a Celebi movie, but a completely different twist entirely. We won't know until the end of the year.
You don't have to tell me why they changed direction- the movies based on the anime grew stale ages ago and the new direction is a much-needed refreshing take that doesn't alienate an audience that doesn't follow the tv show. The next movie will probably continue to take place in the same alternate timeline as I Choose You and Power of Us.

The point still remains that they have kinda been retreading where the original series had already gone, so something based in part on the Celebi movie isn't a wild guess. And Celebi making a recent appearance in the anime is kind of an irrelevent point, as it doesn't ban it from appearing in its own film either- especially as the next film won't be out for quite a while still.

But I am by no means saying that I definitely think that it is going to be a Celebi movie- just that given what little we know and what we've seen in most recent films, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

You don't have to tell me why they changed direction- the movies based on the anime grew stale ages ago and the new direction is a much-needed refreshing take that doesn't alienate an audience that doesn't follow the tv show. The next movie will probably continue to take place in the same alternate timeline as I Choose You and Power of Us.

The point still remains that they have kinda been retreading where the original series had already gone, so something based in part on the Celebi movie isn't a wild guess. And Celebi making a recent appearance in the anime is kind of an irrelevent point, as it doesn't ban it from appearing in its own film either- especially as the next film won't be out for quite a while still.

But I am by no means saying that I definitely think that it is going to be a Celebi movie- just that given what little we know and what we've seen in most recent films, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
Still, what about Entai?

I hope they continue with the reimaginings and retellings. It eould be great if they have a movie focusing on the lore of Unown (tribute to the Entei movie) if they ever decide to touch on it.
Perhaps to tie into the Gen 4 Remake,

I thought Pokemon With You was a charity thing?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom